[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214410 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1725 on: October 07, 2021, 01:40:52 PM »
This is what I'm watching.  Loved the ending.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/q32p6a/gta_in_real_life/

That's a normal commute down Capitol Drive.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1726 on: October 07, 2021, 01:43:46 PM »
This is what I'm watching.  Loved the ending.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/q32p6a/gta_in_real_life/

Ending was great, until I found out that the dog lost most of its teeth as a result of the takedown. Poor pup!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1727 on: October 07, 2021, 02:47:22 PM »
without a doubt! Honestly, I had to pause it during one scene (don't want to give spoilers but you may be able to guess the one) and just take a break fora few minutes, it was that powerful and disturbing.

One more Netflix to check out (only three seasons) is Broadchurch. The first season was incredible, and the best part was learning afterward how the writers and producers approached it, keeping the cast in the dark about how the season was going to end.

Broadchurch is a great show.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1728 on: October 07, 2021, 03:39:04 PM »

Broadchurch is a great show.

my wife wants to go to the town where it was filmed to climb from the beach to the bluffs whenever we can visit England.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1729 on: October 07, 2021, 08:50:50 PM »
Honestly, I hope its pure garbage so HBO dumps the rest of the material and GRRM can get back to not writing his books... but this time without excuses.

It's ridiculous that ADWD came out over a decade ago and even with a COVID year he hasn't finished another book. I just reread them all and it drives me nuts knowing there's no next book.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: October 07, 2021, 09:08:38 PM »
It's ridiculous that ADWD came out over a decade ago and even with a COVID year he hasn't finished another book. I just reread them all and it drives me nuts knowing there's no next book.

I'm baffled that people still think he is going to finish them.  It took him 15 years to get this far.  And that was before he was wealthy and unmotivated.  He's nearly in his mid 70s and obese, I dont see him finishing the 6th, much less the 7th, or staying in good health enough to even do so.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1731 on: October 07, 2021, 09:36:51 PM »
I'm baffled that people still think he is going to finish them.  It took him 15 years to get this far.  And that was before he was wealthy and unmotivated.  He's nearly in his mid 70s and obese, I dont see him finishing the 6th, much less the 7th, or staying in good health enough to even do so.

Guessing he dies and Brandon Sanderson or the James SA Corey tandem finishes it for him. Robert Jordan style.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1732 on: October 08, 2021, 01:45:39 PM »
“Looks like a Renaissance painting portraying masculine melancholy.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1733 on: October 08, 2021, 02:33:59 PM »
Chapelle's final standup for Netflix is good.  It would be fantastic for most people, but just decent for him.  He does however make some very good points and his social commentary is again top notch.  Yet again, people are offended and outraged, yet by and large it always seems like its in response to things taken out of context or solely at top level without processing the underlying point.

Eg: he tells a story about getting into an argument/altercation at a restaurant with a gay man, and how the man called the police.  Its to illuminate that despite the LGBT community being minorities and a persecuted class...the white members of that group still have inherent social benefits, perceived or otherwise, beyond that of a hetereosexual black man or woman.  He naturally calls to question how this is an issue.  But the Twitter mob just mobilizes behind "DAVE CHAPPELLE HATES LGBTQ members".  Its a fascinating dynamic

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1734 on: October 08, 2021, 05:39:48 PM »
Chapelle's final standup for Netflix is good.  It would be fantastic for most people, but just decent for him.  He does however make some very good points and his social commentary is again top notch.  Yet again, people are offended and outraged, yet by and large it always seems like its in response to things taken out of context or solely at top level without processing the underlying point.

Eg: he tells a story about getting into an argument/altercation at a restaurant with a gay man, and how the man called the police.  Its to illuminate that despite the LGBT community being minorities and a persecuted class...the white members of that group still have inherent social benefits, perceived or otherwise, beyond that of a hetereosexual black man or woman.  He naturally calls to question how this is an issue.  But the Twitter mob just mobilizes behind "DAVE CHAPPELLE HATES LGBTQ members".  Its a fascinating dynamic

Luckily, Dave doesn’t care.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1735 on: October 09, 2021, 07:49:27 PM »
Ted Lasso with a solid, if somewhat expected, finale. Season 3 should be great.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1736 on: October 09, 2021, 08:20:18 PM »
Succession as most would expect. Getting killer reviews for S3
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1737 on: October 10, 2021, 04:24:39 PM »

I don't think that's what the "twitter mob" is upset about. They may have been more offended about the comments about "punching lgbtq people right in the AIDS" and comparing the genitals of trans people to a beyond burger. This is also not Chappelle's first time wandering into these kinds of jokes.

Chappelle has every right to make those jokes and his audience has every right to find him funny. Others have every right to not find him funny and say something about it. I'll be honest, I've seen twice as many people complaining about the people complaining about Chappelle than I have seen people actually complaining about Chappelle.

I did actually really like his bit about being jealous of the gay rights movement. A good mix of social commentary and comedy.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1738 on: October 10, 2021, 04:55:42 PM »
Figured the party would still be going on, TAMU
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1739 on: October 10, 2021, 07:19:56 PM »
I don't think that's what the "twitter mob" is upset about. They may have been more offended about the comments about "punching lgbtq people right in the AIDS" and comparing the genitals of trans people to a beyond burger. This is also not Chappelle's first time wandering into these kinds of jokes.

Chappelle has every right to make those jokes and his audience has every right to find him funny. Others have every right to not find him funny and say something about it. I'll be honest, I've seen twice as many people complaining about the people complaining about Chappelle than I have seen people actually complaining about Chappelle.

I did actually really like his bit about being jealous of the gay rights movement. A good mix of social commentary and comedy.

I’ve seen a mix. I think there is a sentiment, for some, that LGBTQ is off limits. Which doesn’t really work when Chappelle takes shots at everyone.  And like you said, his commentary is really good and shows there is nuance to his thoughts.  I’m of the mind that you can joke about pretty much anything provided it’s not coming from a place of hate and intolerance, and I don’t ever get the impression that his is.

One of my very good friends, who happens to be gay, particularly found the bit about “old stonewall gays” vs “new gays” to be hysterical and really accurate.  “He couldn’t have been more spot on with that”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1740 on: October 10, 2021, 08:55:36 PM »
Succession Ep. 1 was excellent.  Ty for the recommendation.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1741 on: October 10, 2021, 09:13:44 PM »
Succession Ep. 1 was excellent.  Ty for the recommendation.

All of the episodes are good. A few are stunningly good.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1742 on: October 10, 2021, 10:33:16 PM »
Figured the party would still be going on, TAMU

Meh. It's hard to care when your team has already been eliminated from the playoffs.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1743 on: October 10, 2021, 10:40:36 PM »
I’ve seen a mix. I think there is a sentiment, for some, that LGBTQ is off limits. Which doesn’t really work when Chappelle takes shots at everyone.  And like you said, his commentary is really good and shows there is nuance to his thoughts.  I’m of the mind that you can joke about pretty much anything provided it’s not coming from a place of hate and intolerance, and I don’t ever get the impression that his is.

One of my very good friends, who happens to be gay, particularly found the bit about “old stonewall gays” vs “new gays” to be hysterical and really accurate.  “He couldn’t have been more spot on with that”

You and I have similar philosophies on comedy though I would add that there is a time and a place for it. A Netflix comedy special? Absolutely the time and place. But I also feel that everyone has the right to express their opinion and I tend to get leery of those who get mad at others for expressing their opinions (which of course is a bit hypocritical because they are just expressing their opinions).

As annoying as cancel culture can be, I personally find the people who try to cancel cancel culture to be more numerous and obnoxious.
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1744 on: October 14, 2021, 06:54:23 PM »
Does anyone else go back and re-watch the entire series whenever a new season drops? If a series has 5+ seasons and I've stuck with it that long, I might only do the last season before the new one, but with something like Sex Education I went back to S1E1 yesterday, and I think I'm going to be able to pace it out perfectly to finish those three seasons and be right in the middle of restarting You when season three of that drops on the 15th.  Both very good IMO.

Is Netflix trimming their own content?  I just finished re-watching S1 of You, and IIRC from the first time I watched it, in the finale there is a scene where two characters read a certain book together (purposely vague to avoid spoilers), and that scene was not there when I re-watched it. 

The only other instance of this happening that I've come across is when some of the more graphic scenes got trimmed from 13 Reasons Why, but I don't remember anything controversial about the S1 final of You that would cause it to be trimmed. Would they do something like that strictly for time constraints?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: October 14, 2021, 07:47:06 PM »
It’s not been mentioned, but while I really liked Season 2 of Ted Lasso and the risks they took, I thought the ending was beyond dumb.  Obviously you suspend reality a little bit for a show like this and it sets up a storyline for Season 3 but it’s an absurd leap in both the actuality of coaching (would be even more extreme than Cam Marotta going from his role last year to head coach of Providence for the 2022/2023 season) but also out of bounds for how Rupert viewed Ted and everyone connected to him.  Would be different if Roy fell out and that happened 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1746 on: October 14, 2021, 10:27:24 PM »
It’s not been mentioned, but while I really liked Season 2 of Ted Lasso and the risks they took, I thought the ending was beyond dumb. 

I can do enough suspension of disbelief and be OK with it .. but the wife and I just didn't like S2.   

There were so many elements of S1 that made it .. joyous.   Then S2 comes along and pisses on so much of it.   The whole thing with Nate .. wtf.  If they'd just stuck with the S1 formula, it'd have been so much more fun to watch and no one would have begrudged the lack of .. sad moments.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1747 on: October 14, 2021, 10:54:44 PM »
It’s not been mentioned, but while I really liked Season 2 of Ted Lasso and the risks they took, I thought the ending was beyond dumb.  Obviously you suspend reality a little bit for a show like this and it sets up a storyline for Season 3 but it’s an absurd leap in both the actuality of coaching (would be even more extreme than Cam Marotta going from his role last year to head coach of Providence for the 2022/2023 season) but also out of bounds for how Rupert viewed Ted and everyone connected to him.  Would be different if Roy fell out and that happened

I felt the same. As soon as they mentioned that Rupert had a team, my wife predicted that Nate would be the coach. I agreed that it seemed that the show was telegraphing that, but told her that would be just as ridiculous as hiring Ted — and that was done specifically to sabotage the team. I really like the show, but that was almost a step too far.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1748 on: October 15, 2021, 09:08:19 AM »
We just finished Midnight Mass on Netflix. I liked it and some of the twists to a classic horror story I thought were very creative.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1749 on: October 15, 2021, 09:30:11 AM »
I can do enough suspension of disbelief and be OK with it .. but the wife and I just didn't like S2.   

There were so many elements of S1 that made it .. joyous.   Then S2 comes along and pisses on so much of it.   The whole thing with Nate .. wtf.  If they'd just stuck with the S1 formula, it'd have been so much more fun to watch and no one would have begrudged the lack of .. sad moments.

I'm willing to withhold judgement on the Nate storyline till we see what happens in Season 3.  I don't mind the friction.  I still found S2 to be incredible funny and heartwarming in a lot of parts.  All the "sad" was really to humanize Ted instead of having him be some caricature that also had a bad divorce.  It might not have been as light and always happy as S1, but it didn't feel out of place or forced.

I will say tho, WTF is going on with Nate's hair.  I hope that is explained as some sort of villainous humor turn.

I felt the same. As soon as they mentioned that Rupert had a team, my wife predicted that Nate would be the coach. I agreed that it seemed that the show was telegraphing that, but told her that would be just as ridiculous as hiring Ted — and that was done specifically to sabotage the team. I really like the show, but that was almost a step too far.

Yea, not only telegraphed, but if Rupert was really trying to show them, he would have splashed for some name hire, or threw the Brinks truck at Jamie, or something.  It just seemed silly

feedback