'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: For PROWOJO-ers only  (Read 15765 times)

tower912

• All American
For PROWOJO-ers only
« on: December 06, 2019, 04:48:05 PM »
You can only post things that have disappointed you about Wojo.    Go out of your comfort zone.    See if this leads to meaningful dialogues.

I will start:     Should have played Deonte Burton more.    Should have burned Greg's red shirt last year.    His play this year convinces me more that he was the missing piece last year.     IF the letter happened, he should have kicked both Hausers off the team immediately.    Should have brought in an experienced bench coach earlier.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: For PROWOJO-ers only
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 04:50:45 PM »
Should've benched Markus more against Maryland and against SHU last year
Maigh Eo for Sam

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 04:57:27 PM »
Would like to see a more intense defensive focus...

Would like more paying time risk if we have turnovers....

More halftime adjustments....

A more cohesive set of recruits with a strategy....

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 05:00:26 PM »
I would like Wojo to post a copy of The Letter on Scoop.

You know, for program transparency.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 05:02:20 PM »
He gets hoarse too quickly.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 05:11:32 PM »
His first hire should have been an experienced head coach with a knack for in-game adjustments. He is slowly getting better.

He should have a quicker hook when a starter is playing poorly or, worse, getting down on himself. I am looking at Joey late last season, Markus against Maryland, etc. Mike Deane had his flaws, but he was a solid bench coach and he never hesitated to yank a guy like Hutch of Wardle when they did something he didn't like. And they almost always played better after a good lecture. (And I'm not talking about benching guys; just pulling them after bad or distracted playing and making it clear they need to step up.)

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 05:12:34 PM »
What Letter should he post and from whom?   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 05:14:08 PM »
1. Poor huddle speeches
2. Insufficiently folksy
3. Shameful lack of Wisconsin natives on the roster

Ok, seriously, my biggest criticism is his seeming inability to consistently make changes or adjustments to his offensive gameplan/system when it's not working.  Far too often we've seen teams go on big runs against MU because we go on a long stretch of bad looks and turnovers, often resulting in easy scores and open looks on the other end.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 05:32:31 PM »
The continued use of the god damn weave offense.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 06:13:48 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 05:33:52 PM »
The continues use of the god damn weave offense.

+1
I already didn’t like the weave the last few years that our offense was good, and I certainly don’t like it any more this year

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 05:33:58 PM »
His first hire should have been an experienced head coach with a knack for in-game adjustments. He is slowly getting better.

He should have a quicker hook when a starter is playing poorly or, worse, getting down on himself. I am looking at Joey late last season, Markus against Maryland, etc. Mike Deane had his flaws, but he was a solid bench coach and he never hesitated to yank a guy like Hutch of Wardle when they did something he didn't like. And they almost always played better after a good lecture. (And I'm not talking about benching guys; just pulling them after bad or distracted playing and making it clear they need to step up.)

jamaal would probably vehemently disagree while the "hook" was desperately needed more with jh last year despite the "audience" directly behind him. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 05:55:05 PM »
Doesn't go to Arby's -Fact
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 05:57:09 PM »
Doesn't go to Arby's -Fact

Never has been to Real Chili - also a fact

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 05:59:11 PM »
Wojo coached teams have consistently (but not always) had problems opening games, and more specifically second half's well.  This had led to us frequently playing from behind, and/or blowing a lead built in the 1st half within the 1st 4 minutes of the second half.  I would like to see Wojo grow in this aspect of coaching.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 06:21:08 PM »
Not enough Paint Touches and Switchables.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 06:29:25 PM »
Based on board history, I believe the proper title for this category is actually “Wojo Slurpers”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 06:36:49 PM »
Just going to put out there that a lot of people seem to want Wojo to hire a Rob Judson type. Rob Judson has been on staff for a little over 2 years now.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 06:41:57 PM »
You can only post things that have disappointed you about Wojo.    Go out of your comfort zone.    See if this leads to meaningful dialogues.

I will start:     Should have played Deonte Burton more.    Should have burned Greg's red shirt last year.    His play this year convinces me more that he was the missing piece last year.     IF the letter happened, he should have kicked both Hausers off the team immediately.    Should have brought in an experienced bench coach earlier.

From day one of hire I believe I said something to the effect of him being at Duke with nothing but great players to mold how good does that make you as a coach to get far talent better?  Risky.  Mixed results so far on that front.

Our lack of great point guards has been a concern.  Easier to recruit, but we have had trouble landing one.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 07:01:27 PM »
The most wojo slurper move of all is denying the letter ever took place.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2019, 07:10:38 PM »
I'm good with most things Wojo but I don't like when I feel like the other team out hustles us.  I miss the junkyard dog mentality of the Buzz teams.  We didn't always win but it was always a battle for teams playing Marquette.  I feel like Wojo teams, as a whole, are a lot softer and less intimidating, and have lapses where the other team flat out outworks us.  Bring back the MU toughness.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

panda

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2019, 07:15:43 PM »
Wojo teams are a far cry from the brand built by Buzz and Tc in the 2000’s. Perennial NCAA tournament bids, nails tough teams and NBA level talent. The only thing Wojo has going for him is the perennial, wait until next year crowd because of his high level recruiting ability.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2019, 07:18:43 PM »
Wojo teams are a far cry from the brand built by Buzz and Tc in the 2000’s. Perennial NCAA tournament bids, nails tough teams and NBA level talent. The only thing Wojo has going for him is the perennial, wait until next year crowd because of his high level recruiting ability.

Congrats for breaking the spirit of the OP. I am pleasantly surprised it took this long for a NoJo to attempt to ruin this thread, though. Almost made it to the second page.

My answer, of course:

Wojo has never done anything wrong. He is the red-cheeked, large-cup-of-water-guzzling,  absolutely perfect coach and human being!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2019, 07:25:29 PM »
as far as coaches sideline drinks go:

Diet Coke > Ice water

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2019, 07:29:48 PM »
Our lack of great point guards has been a concern.  Easier to recruit, but we have had trouble landing one.

I see and hear this a lot. It is really a criticism of Wojo’s system then as his system doesn’t really utilize point guards, but combo guards in a pro system. And, I have a hard time criticizing his system as it has delivered some of the best offenses in the country and in MU’s history. It may not be as traditional for your taste.

In fact, Hank was one of the great early pioneers in this offense. Both Butch and Boylan were combo guards in reality and they also subbed in Rosie. Wilson and Doc was the same thing. It was a deviation in philosophy from Al and Hank opened it up more (and his teams scored more). That said, Hank also brought in Worthen and Mandy Johnson to balance. Wojo has brought in Traci and Sy.

panda

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 07:34:20 PM »
Congrats for breaking the spirit of the OP. I am pleasantly surprised it took this long for a NoJo to attempt to ruin this thread, though. Almost made it to the second page.

My answer, of course:

Wojo has never done anything wrong. He is the red-cheeked, large-cup-of-water-guzzling,  absolutely perfect coach and human being!

Classic slurper. Deflecting legitimate points with pathetic attempts at humor. Mediocrity has been accepted for far too long and I’m not sure how any proud Marquette fan from any era can accept the results from the past 5 years.

This is the year we should be back to expected levels of success. If it doesn’t happen this year, it’s time to move on.