Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: For PROWOJO-ers only  (Read 15776 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: For PROWOJO-ers only
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2019, 08:49:48 AM »

He had Mark Phelps on his staff. Made no difference.

He’s a good recruiter. Mediocre bench coach. Fantastic representative of the university.

If he could get better at the actual coaching I would be satisfied. But I’m not really satisfied at this point.

I said an experienced bench coach with a knack for in-game adjustments. Phelps went a paltry 9-9 in the MVC in his best season as a HC (at Drake). He went 7-11 in each of his other four seasons (total 37-53 in the MVC). Not exactly the stuff of a guy with a knack for adjustments.

I am perfectly fine with a HC from a mid or low major school, but he needed to at least pick a guy who'd had some good seasons at that level.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 08:51:22 AM by GooooMarquette »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2019, 09:00:09 AM »

I said an experienced bench coach with a knack for in-game adjustments. Phelps went a paltry 9-9 in the MVC in his best season as a HC (at Drake). He went 7-11 in each of his other four seasons (total 37-53 in the MVC). Not exactly the stuff of a guy with a knack for adjustments.

I am perfectly fine with a HC from a mid or low major school, but he needed to at least pick a guy who'd had some good seasons at that level.

Those kind of coaches are usually employed as head coaches.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »
Those kind of coaches are usually employed as head coaches.

The purpose of the thread was to critique the things we see as Wojo's faults. One of my critiques is that he wasn't able to find one of the few who weren't employed as head coaches.

Difficult? Sure. But we pay him to do difficult things.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2019, 10:14:52 AM »
I've made a coupla snarky responses, but I'll now make a serious one (for those scoring at home) ...

++ Hausershima ruined his best season, and he has to get some of the blame. One of a coach's main jobs, in any sport at any level, is managing player-ego-driven situations just like that one. Even if he wasn't primarily responsible (that's a matter of opinion, and everybody has one on this subject), it happened on his watch and he wasn't able to quell it. Can even the most Pro of the ProWojo-ers say he had 0.00% responsibility for what happened?

++ After a couple years of significant improvement, Theo seems to have plateaued or even regressed a little this season. Same could be said of Morrow. I don't want either of them EVER touching the basketball on offense in the last 5 minutes of a close game. Luke also was not better as a senior than he was in prior years. Some of that obviously is on the players themselves, but it's not the greatest look for a coach who is said to be a big-man-game guru.

++ The Henry year, last season and now this season, the offense sometimes has gotten stagnant, with others on the court merely watching the star do his thing.

++ Like others, I wish he would have found a way to get Burton to stick around. Wojo, like all coaches, has players transfer. Most of Wojo's were role players or mid-major (or low-major) players. Burton was an outstanding scorer and powerful presence (although many Scoopers no doubt would have complained non-stop about his poor defense and his effect on the overall team defense). Sam is the only other Wojo-era transfer I will have missed. Joey obviously has talent, but he has since admitted more than once that he was never really wanting to be a Warrior.

++ I really liked Wojo's baseline-inbound plays for several years. This season, however, the Warriors have struggled even inbounding the ball at all several times, let alone getting good scoring opportunities.

++ Talking up the contribution that Froling was going to make. Obviously, Wojo is where Bilas and others got it from. That Froling sucked big-time made me question Wojo's judgment.

Bottom line: I obviously believe that many basketball coaches -- including his predecessor -- are better than Wojo. I simply wonder if Marquette can attract any proven, multiple-NCAA-tournament-winning, non-desperate-retread name or can be lucky/good enough to uncover the next Buzz or Beard.

I'll take Wojo over Howland, Martin and that ilk, and I'll take him over most of the other mid-major/low-major/assistant types that Marquette has hired forever. Right now, there is zero body of evidence suggesting that Shaka would have done one iota better, and we were all hyperventilating when that supposedly was a donedeal.

Thanks for starting a fun thread, tower.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
My criticisms:

• Lack of big man development. This stands out because MU has long struggled to develop complete big men & I hoped Wojo would be the fix for that.
  • Propensity to get blasted a couple times a year in marquee games. Maryland, Indiana, St John's, Purdue...I liked when Buzz at least kept the losses competitive.
  • Not finding a way to keep the Hausers and Howard happy. There needed to be changes sooner last year and when you have a top-5 team coming back, it's important to be cognizant of how you keep that together.
  • Lack of March success. Not just in the NCAA tournament, but we've only once played on Friday in the Big East Tourney and never made a final. As much as we covet that NCAA win, programs like Providence & Seton Hall winning Big East Tournaments have been great fanbase boosters.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2019, 10:46:02 AM »
We haven’t seen a big man make significant offensive improvements in his tenure. The closest might have been Heldt from sophomore to junior year in terms of production but that also was due to minutes increasing.
Had a lot of high hopes for Theo and Ed this year, but so far it’s been disappointing to say the least.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2019, 02:36:53 PM »
The last few posters have a good point about development of bigs. Anyone who saw Theo play as a frosh would expect him to be having a monster year by now. Instead, he spends most of his time on the bench, and struggles when he's on the court.

Frustrating, because I hoped Theo/Ed/Jayce would combine to give us a formidable interior game. Instead, the inside game has killed us.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »

The purpose of the thread was to critique the things we see as Wojo's faults. One of my critiques is that he wasn't able to find one of the few who weren't employed as head coaches.

Difficult? Sure. But we pay him to do difficult things.

Lol. Ok. Whatever.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2019, 03:02:46 PM »
Lol. Ok. Whatever.

Your compelling and eloquent post has led me to rescind my critique. Wojo did a fabulous job picking a bench coach his first season!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2019, 03:07:46 PM »
The last few posters have a good point about development of bigs. Anyone who saw Theo play as a frosh would expect him to be having a monster year by now. Instead, he spends most of his time on the bench, and struggles when he's on the court.

Frustrating, because I hoped Theo/Ed/Jayce would combine to give us a formidable interior game. Instead, the inside game has killed us.

Luke Fischer's eFG% went from .610 his first year to .647 his last. His offensive win share went from 1.2 to 2.7. His ORtg per 100 possessions went from 108.5 to 127.6.
Not massive improvement, but it would be wrong to say there was no development.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »
Luke Fischer's eFG% went from .610 his first year to .647 his last. His offensive win share went from 1.2 to 2.7. His ORtg per 100 possessions went from 108.5 to 127.6.
Not massive improvement, but it would be wrong to say there was no development.

Also, as I recall Luke's development was hampered by shoulder injuries in each of his off seasons.

Buffalo Gap

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2019, 03:29:29 PM »
He considers chicken a legitimate pizza topping.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2019, 03:31:52 PM »
My criticisms:

• Lack of big man development. This stands out because MU has long struggled to develop complete big men & I hoped Wojo would be the fix for that.
  • Propensity to get blasted a couple times a year in marquee games. Maryland, Indiana, St John's, Purdue...I liked when Buzz at least kept the losses competitive.
  • Not finding a way to keep the Hausers and Howard happy. There needed to be changes sooner last year and when you have a top-5 team coming back, it's important to be cognizant of how you keep that together.
  • Lack of March success. Not just in the NCAA tournament, but we've only once played on Friday in the Big East Tourney and never made a final. As much as we covet that NCAA win, programs like Providence & Seton Hall winning Big East Tournaments have been great fanbase boosters.

Buzz got blasted in plenty of big profile games....he kept some close as has Wojo.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2019, 04:34:03 PM »
My criticisms:

Buzz got smoked every year too. Vanderbilt, @ Creighton, @ Florida, @ ND, Dayton.

Just off the top of my head. Agree with your other points.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »
You can only post things that have disappointed you about Wojo.    Go out of your comfort zone.    See if this leads to meaningful dialogues.

I will start:     Should have played Deonte Burton more.    Should have burned Greg's red shirt last year.    His play this year convinces me more that he was the missing piece last year.     IF the letter happened, he should have kicked both Hausers off the team immediately.    Should have brought in an experienced bench coach earlier.
Might of been as dumb as pulling Junior Cadougan's redshirt.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2019, 04:56:41 PM »
Nothing new here, but off the top of my head...

Bigs development
Not managing last year's situation. Even just keeping Sam.
Inability to perform in BET and NCAA
Unforced turnovers. It's either fundamentals or focus. Wojo has responsibility for both.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2019, 05:10:00 PM »
Buzz got smoked every year too. Vanderbilt, @ Creighton, @ Florida, @ ND, Dayton.

Just off the top of my head. Agree with your other points.

Buzz's last two seasons saw these big game results:
Ohio State 52, MU 35
Creighton 67, MU 49 (1st new BE game on New Year's Eve)
Nova 73, MU 56
Florida 82, MU 49
Louisville 70, MU 50
Syracuse 55, MU 39

I mean, it's not one of the more enduring traits of Wojo's teams, but it's not unique to Wojo's teams either.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2019, 05:13:12 PM »
Ohio State 52, MU 35
Nova 73, MU 56
Florida 82, MU 49
Louisville 70, MU 50
Syracuse 55, MU 39

I mean, it's not one of the more enduring traits of Wojo's teams, but it's not unique to Wojo's teams either.

ThAt’S cAuSe BuZz WaS StIcKiNg It To ThE aDmInIsTrAtIoN!!!111!!!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2019, 05:18:06 PM »
Nothing new here, but off the top of my head...

Bigs development
Not managing last year's situation. Even just keeping Sam.
Inability to perform in BET and NCAA
Unforced turnovers. It's either fundamentals or focus. Wojo has responsibility for both.

Became a family situation, no way Sam stays when Joey is going.  Jesus H could have been our coach and they were either both staying or both going.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2019, 05:18:44 PM »
Ohio State 52, MU 35
Nova 73, MU 56
Florida 82, MU 49
Louisville 70, MU 50
Syracuse 55, MU 39

Exactly...the memories here continue to be clouded by koolaid or memory loss.  You aren’t even including UNC and other “big profile” games.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2019, 06:56:18 PM »
Personally I think his recruiting is overrated by most here. Other than landing Henry by signing Wally, Wojo hadn't landed any top 40 recruits until Dawson (though Markus was top 40 before reclassifying). His 2017-2019 classes were filled with near misses that left the classes pretty average in my opinion. 2020 is off to a great start.

Development of transfers. He got off to a great start with Car3no, Katin, and Rowdy. But the last few, Froling, Morrow, Chartouney were all worse here than they were at their previous stops. McEwen and Johnson have shown flashes this season, and Jayce is injured, but to date they are less than what I was hoping for.

Secondary defensive adjustments. Wojo has always excelled at initial defensive gameplanning. The past two season if you check the box scores, our opponent's best players often have season worst shooting nights against us. But when of those third, fourth, or fifth scoring options gets hot, Wojo usually gambles that they will regress rather than adjusting to them. Sometimes he's right other times we've gotten burned (see Brevin Pritzl and Jermaine Samuels).

Interviews. I support the coach but my goodness he's the blandest interview. Been told he's better 1 on 1 but those post game presses are often drier than unbuttered toast.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2019, 08:11:46 PM »
You can only post things that have disappointed you about Wojo.    Go out of your comfort zone.    See if this leads to meaningful dialogues.

I will start:     Should have played Deonte Burton more.    Should have burned Greg's red shirt last year.    His play this year convinces me more that he was the missing piece last year.     IF the letter happened, he should have kicked both Hausers off the team immediately.    Should have brought in an experienced bench coach earlier.

What experienced (and successful) coach has he brought in? If you're referring to Judson, his resume is underwhelming at best. Look at the impact Phil Martelli has had at Michigan so far this season.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2019, 10:33:10 PM »
Wojo coached teams have consistently (but not always) had problems opening games, and more specifically second half's well.  This had led to us frequently playing from behind, and/or blowing a lead built in the 1st half within the 1st 4 minutes of the second half.  I would like to see Wojo grow in this aspect of coaching.

That -12 the first 7 minutes of the second half was no bueno.  Been consistent enough of a problem that it needs to be addressed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2019, 10:34:36 PM »
That -12 the first 7 minutes of the second half was no bueno.  Been consistent enough of a problem that it needs to be addressed.

I'd rather it not happen, also, but even more important to me is how the team responds after it does happen. I like when they respond as they did tonight -- toughness, good D, opportunistic hoops, made FTs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2019, 10:38:52 PM »
I'd rather it not happen, also, but even more important to me is how the team responds after it does happen. I like when they respond as they did tonight -- toughness, good D, opportunistic hoops, made FTs.

I don't disagree, and given the choice between winning the 1st four minutes of a half, or the last 4 minutes, I'll take the latter every time, but following the OP of this thread, this has been a consistent problem of Wojo teams almost from day 1 (of year 2, we never had leads to blow in year 1).

feedback