[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Upsets! / Surprise results.  (Read 147878 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Upsets! / Surprise results.
« Reply #475 on: January 12, 2020, 07:26:43 PM »
Okay. Fair enough. We are 6th.

We are in serious jeopardy of  missing the Tourney and maybe looking for a new coach, agreed or your male card will be revoked?

I don’t piss my trousers like the rest of you in January.  Our tourney hopes will sort them out weeks from now.  The only way we look for a new coach is if he chooses to leave, which with our fan base I wouldn’t blame him. Some of you would have run Wright, K, and many others out of town.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #476 on: January 12, 2020, 07:31:13 PM »
how does ohio state go into yesterdays game ranked 11th being 1-3 in big ten(now 1-4) with a 2-4 record over previous 6 games(now 2-5)?  yes, they have some big wins, but those were a long time ago now

Going to guess you aren't familiar with how rankings work.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #477 on: January 13, 2020, 09:41:23 AM »
For the second time in 5 1/2 weeks, the bad Purdue team over whom we had an unimpressive victory has defeated a top-10 team by 29 points -- this time No. 8 Michigan State; last time, No. 5 Virginia.

In between those wins, the same awful Purdue team lost in double-OT at No. 19 Michigan.

Also, they were crushed at Illinois and lost at Nebraska.

Oh, and in only-kinda-related news, UNC lost at home to Clemson for the first time ever; the Cheatin' Heels had been 59-0 at home in the series. Afterward, Roy Williams, almost in tears, said he deserved to be fired.

It's almost as if college basketball were wildly unpredictable this season.

Of course, Marquette -- and only Marquette -- should be above that unpredictability. Can't believe we haven't won 17 of our first 16 games!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #478 on: January 13, 2020, 09:49:20 AM »
I don’t piss my trousers like the rest of you in January.  Our tourney hopes will sort them out weeks from now.  The only way we look for a new coach is if he chooses to leave, which with our fan base I wouldn’t blame him. Some of you would have run Wright, K, and many others out of town.

You're not wrong. But then again, when a Marquette team was underperforming in January for a previous coach, you wrote a blog labeling them choking dogs who pee themselves.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #479 on: January 14, 2020, 09:27:00 AM »
Not sure where to put this, but USC beat UCLA by double digits and is now 13-3. The surprise (not sure if its true); UCLA does not have a McDonalds All American on their roster for the first time in 40 years. Per Alden Gonzalez ESPN staff writer.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #480 on: January 14, 2020, 09:47:17 AM »
You're not wrong. But then again, when a Marquette team was underperforming in January for a previous coach, you wrote a blog labeling them choking dogs who pee themselves.

Yes, I did used some of Buzz’s own words...I also apologized for it....let me know when folks here apologize in this area...thanks.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #481 on: January 14, 2020, 09:49:07 AM »
Not sure where to put this, but USC beat UCLA by double digits and is now 13-3. The surprise (not sure if its true); UCLA does not have a McDonalds All American on their roster for the first time in 40 years. Per Alden Gonzalez ESPN staff writer.

They still have a lot of talent.  Their problem is desire and misfit parts...reminds me a lot of what Buzz left us.  Individual talent, but not a good sum of the parts.  Cronin will instill the toughness part with them, they will mold into a defensive team.  The question will be whether the LA fan base will like that....they didn’t with Howland.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #482 on: January 14, 2020, 09:54:00 AM »
They still have a lot of talent.  Their problem is desire and misfit parts...reminds me a lot of what Buzz left us.  Individual talent, but not a good sum of the parts.  Cronin will instill the toughness part with them, they will mold into a defensive team.  The question will be whether the LA fan base will like that....they didn’t with Howland.

Sounds like the Wojo era with individual talent not coming together.

It may only be January, but these results count the same as late February games. We could rip off 14 straight wins, but I think the worry is more how we are losing than just the losing.

Sure, we weren’t expected to beat Creighton or SH on the road. However, isn’t that kind of the problem with where we are at? That we just write that off as a loss? Or that there isn’t much hope to exceed an expectation.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #483 on: January 14, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »
Yes, I did used some of Buzz’s own words...I also apologized for it....let me know when folks here apologize in this area...thanks.

Even your apologies are full of sh!t. “I did use some of Buzz’s own words”, you confess. LOL. But What about your own words? Buzz never called anyone “dogs”. Buzz never called anyone “choking dogs”. That was you and you alone.

And apology or not, it proved an absolutely visceral bias you harbored against any Marquette team coached by Buzz Williams. It had become clear to most MU fans very early on that Buzz could coach circles around Tom Crean. Because of that you hated him. Not because of articles in the Chicago Tribune that came years later. You had blown your cover years before that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #484 on: January 14, 2020, 11:53:43 AM »
Even your apologies are full of sh!t. “I did use some of Buzz’s own words”, you confess. LOL. But What about your own words? Buzz never called anyone “dogs”. Buzz never called anyone “choking dogs”. That was you and you alone.

And apology or not, it proved an absolutely visceral bias you harbored against any Marquette team coached by Buzz Williams. It had become clear to most MU fans very early on that Buzz could coach circles around Tom Crean. Because of that you hated him. Not because of articles in the Chicago Tribune that came years later. You had blown your cover years before that.

Crean gave him pats on the head, whereas Buzz had no idea he existed. Therein lies the rub.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #485 on: January 14, 2020, 04:12:55 PM »
Crean gave him pats on the head, whereas Buzz had no idea he existed. Therein lies the rub.

This.

And Joani Crean said “Hi” to his wife once.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #486 on: January 14, 2020, 07:52:48 PM »
  dookie down by 5 to clemson with 3 min to go
don't...don't don't don't don't

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #487 on: January 14, 2020, 07:54:30 PM »
Pitt up on Louisville on ACC Network. 3 minutes also left.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #488 on: January 14, 2020, 08:02:47 PM »

Like I said, I apologized...within hours of the blog post.  Your second part of your post is incorrect.  I NEVER, repeat, NEVER campaigned for him to be fired.  I also on many occasions said he was a great coach, worthy of coach of the year award.  You always forget this part.  But I also know some of the other stuff that went on as do others here, and for that I am glad he is gone. 

Hugs...big hugs for you Lenny. 

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #489 on: January 14, 2020, 08:12:38 PM »
  dookie down by 5 to clemson with 3 min to go

Don't worry, someone will say for Duke it was a crapshoot.  And someone will detail how we should have hired Clemson's coach instead of Wojo.... 🤐😖

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #490 on: January 14, 2020, 08:20:57 PM »
Going to guess you aren't familiar with how rankings work.

going to guess you aren't familiar with how satire works
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #491 on: January 14, 2020, 09:06:45 PM »

On the list of coaches I know, work with, etc....Buzz is nowhere to be found, which is fine by me.  I am not particularly fond of TC on the personal level at all.  Not a person I enjoyed working with, but he got results.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #492 on: January 14, 2020, 09:10:06 PM »
Like I said, I apologized...within hours of the blog post.  Your second part of your post is incorrect.  I NEVER, repeat, NEVER campaigned for him to be fired.  I also on many occasions said he was a great coach, worthy of coach of the year award.  You always forget this part.  But I also know some of the other stuff that went on as do others here, and for that I am glad he is gone. 

Hugs...big hugs for you Lenny.

Chico

I never said you called for his firing. I said you hated the guy and hated him early on, long before any articles in the Chicago Trib, etc.. The choking dogs piece was just one example of it. The question is why you went so off your rocker about Buzz from the jump. My best guess? You know basketball and it was apparent to you early on (as it was to me and others) that Buzz was a step up as a coach from TC - a guy you liked and whose legacy you reflexively defended. Anyway, the idea that this guy you never wanted was building a better program than your guy didn’t sit very well and thus an angry anti Buzz, anti MU blog (and tons of other snarks) were hatched.

Hugs for you too, Chico...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #493 on: January 14, 2020, 09:26:03 PM »
Chico

I never said you called for his firing. I said you hated the guy and hated him early on, long before any articles in the Chicago Trib, etc.. The choking dogs piece was just one example of it. The question is why you went so off your rocker about Buzz from the jump. My best guess? You know basketball and it was apparent to you early on (as it was to me and others) that Buzz was a step up as a coach from TC - a guy you liked and whose legacy you reflexively defended. Anyway, the idea that this guy you never wanted was building a better program than your guy didn’t sit very well and thus an angry anti Buzz, anti MU blog (and tons of other snarks) were hatched.

Hugs for you too, Chico...

What I didn't like was the fact he was going nowhere and always available to be secured after Crean left.  Why the rush, that was the key for me. Why the rush to secure him in a contract that could have been done weeks later? To secure a class that everyone knew wouldn't be secured, despite Buzz being the lead recruiter for Taylor. 

Plenty of comments made April 8th, 2008 by me which were positive or neutral.  He's not the guy I would have hired that day because we could wait, but I wanted him to succeed then and every year after that as numerous posts I made prove that out.

Now, were there things that happened prior to the bigger stuff that went public that got me steamed....yes...because I was told some of what was going on and what wasn't hitting the press, etc.  So yes, that contributed to it.  Concerns in the AD on how things were being done, etc...yeah, it was not cool IMO.  But when we were winning, people didn't care.  When it suddenly becomes the evening news later....hmm.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #494 on: January 14, 2020, 10:06:41 PM »
Wisconsin beats #17 Maryland.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #495 on: January 14, 2020, 10:10:25 PM »
Wisconsin beats #17 Maryland.

Mcnut puncher with forced maryland tournover with 12 seconds left down 1, then hits the game winning 3 on the very next play.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #496 on: January 14, 2020, 10:17:05 PM »
Team that scored at will on MU ends up being held to 54.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #497 on: January 14, 2020, 10:18:41 PM »
Team that scored at will on MU ends up being held to 54.

That proves we're the worst.

Of course, our victory over Purdue -- which has 29-point wins over the nation's No. 5 and No. 8 teams -- proves we're the best.

Ah, sports and the transitive property. It's math, baby!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #498 on: January 14, 2020, 10:37:26 PM »
That proves we're the worst.

Of course, our victory over Purdue -- which has 29-point wins over the nation's No. 5 and No. 8 teams -- proves we're the best.

Not sure what Purdue has to do with anything. I must have missed our games against MSU and UVA.

Anyway, you couldn't watch that game, and our game, and not come away impressed with how Wisconsin gameplanned for Maryland.

Just frustrating to see them get it done damn near every year for the last 20 while MU is spinning its wheels.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #499 on: January 14, 2020, 10:48:27 PM »
Not sure what Purdue has to do with anything. I must have missed our games against MSU and UVA.

Anyway, you couldn't watch that game, and our game, and not come away impressed with how Wisconsin gameplanned for Maryland.

Just frustrating to see them get it done damn near every year for the last 20 while MU is spinning its wheels.

Wisconsin has had a nice run of fairly talented bigs.

It's Marquettes turn next year.

Losing Sam and Joey didn't help this year.

It is what it is.

feedback