'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Upsets! / Surprise results.  (Read 148191 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Upsets! / Surprise results.
« Reply #450 on: January 09, 2020, 12:44:51 PM »
The system and overall rankings they use. The A/B classification is nowhere on the team sheets. It's meaningless.

That was my reaction to Chicos' post initially as well.. but, I think it may be relevant. We need to ax questions of the committee...

Indeed, it's irrelevant to the team sheet... but, folks I believe can use whatever they wish... tarot cards, etc... if that's useful information to them.

To think that some* (and I'm positive not all, but maybe* some) look at kenpom's site and do look at A/B games when selecting and seeding teams doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

So, I'd say... there may be some relevance to A/B kenpom classifications when it comes to tourney selection time... probably not much tho.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #451 on: January 09, 2020, 01:16:48 PM »
I think when it comes to amateur bracketologists, they have meaning, especially before the first round of NET and Team Sheets, but once we get to Selection Sunday, I don't think anyone in that room is focusing on kenpom's A/B classification when they have the Quadrants in front of them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #452 on: January 09, 2020, 08:03:59 PM »
Purdue Michigan almost seems to be ending exactly like MU prov
Maigh Eo for Sam

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #453 on: January 09, 2020, 08:06:29 PM »
Purdue Michigan almost seems to be ending exactly like MU prov

What channel is that on?

Big Ten Network by me has Women's bball on.

Memphis down by 7 with 3 min to go.  was down by 19 at Wich St.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #454 on: January 09, 2020, 08:13:25 PM »
FS1
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #455 on: January 09, 2020, 08:24:49 PM »
The system and overall rankings they use. The A/B classification is nowhere on the team sheets. It's meaningless.

With all due respect I would suggest reading what committee members have said over the years.  I have been friends with two people that have served on the committee at various points over the years, both are conference commissioners.  There are a bunch of materials provided to the committee members.  They are also allowed to bring their own materials, or at least were....I would have to confirm.

My point is that things shift and individual committee members sometimes do gut feel / old school while others are heavy into the various data options.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

fjm

• All American
« Reply #456 on: January 10, 2020, 09:38:13 PM »
Down goes Maryland.

There are truly no elite teams this year. MU gets in with a 10 seed and wins two games is the most unlikely - likely thing ever this year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #457 on: January 11, 2020, 02:45:28 PM »
Ohio State loses fourth straight....I thought only Wojo did that when his teams are ranked.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #458 on: January 11, 2020, 04:55:39 PM »
Ok, not a surprise. Syracuse and Virginia tied at 39 point with 3 minutes left in the game. Shootout.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #459 on: January 11, 2020, 05:46:36 PM »
Clemson down by 10 at halftime, win in overtime at North Carolina. First ever win at UNC.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #460 on: January 11, 2020, 05:49:36 PM »
Clemson down by 10 at halftime, win in overtime at North Carolina. First ever win at UNC.
Wojo to UNC!! ;)

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #461 on: January 11, 2020, 05:50:50 PM »
Wisconsin beats Penn st. Big ten has 5 road wins in conference play and they have 2 of them. Wish we could win on the road.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #462 on: January 12, 2020, 12:56:20 PM »
Purdue up 71-42 late on Michigan State on CBS.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #463 on: January 12, 2020, 01:01:41 PM »
Wisconsin beats Penn st. Big ten has 5 road wins in conference play and they have 2 of them. Wish we could win on the road.

Wish we could beat Purdue....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #464 on: January 12, 2020, 01:07:06 PM »

BOOM!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #465 on: January 12, 2020, 01:25:47 PM »
UConn hits a three to tie. No foul up by three by Wichita State. 9-0 run by UConn to force OT. Games on CBSSN.
-Bill Walton

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #466 on: January 12, 2020, 01:35:47 PM »

Very helpful. I'll remember the Purdue win fondly as we're hoping for a game at the Al in the NIT.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #467 on: January 12, 2020, 02:01:08 PM »
Very helpful. I'll remember the Purdue win fondly as we're hoping for a game at the Al in the NIT.

OK, you do that.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #468 on: January 12, 2020, 04:27:32 PM »
South Florida leads #21 Memphis, 51-37 on ESPN2.
-Bill Walton

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #469 on: January 12, 2020, 05:23:36 PM »
MU is in 9th place in BEast, only ahead of DePaul which will change when they kick Wojos ass.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #470 on: January 12, 2020, 05:28:27 PM »
MU is in 9th place in BEast, only ahead of DePaul which will change when they kick Wojos ass.

We are in 6th place....nice lie again, Willie.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #471 on: January 12, 2020, 07:08:43 PM »
We are in 6th place....nice lie again, Willie.
Seriously? Out of ten teams only one has a worse record. We are both 6th and 9th.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #472 on: January 12, 2020, 07:12:48 PM »
Seriously? Out of ten teams only one has a worse record. We are both 6th and 9th.

You didn’t take sports as a young man, did you....or your male card was revoked.

We are tied for 6th.  That’s how it works.  You aren’t in 6th and 9th...we are tied for 6th.  DePaul is 10th. You don’t get to make up new rules now that no one in sports recognizes.   

It also means nothing at this time of year because some teams have played tougher conference schedules than others have....but whatever fits your agenda.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #473 on: January 12, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »
Okay. Fair enough. We are 6th.

We are in serious jeopardy of  missing the Tourney and maybe looking for a new coach, agreed or your male card will be revoked?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #474 on: January 12, 2020, 07:26:22 PM »
how does ohio state go into yesterdays game ranked 11th being 1-3 in big ten(now 1-4) with a 2-4 record over previous 6 games(now 2-5)?  yes, they have some big wins, but those were a long time ago now
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback