[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT Memphis  (Read 42048 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: OT Memphis
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2019, 10:42:07 PM »
Agreed. But there is nothing sensical about being anti-NCAA either. It is strictly an opinion one way or the other. Also, like any major organization, they get some things right, and some things wrong.

Correct
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #201 on: November 12, 2019, 05:56:53 AM »
Sure. If you believe in “textbook rules violations.”

Without going back for the exact quote, Parish said that a Memphis booster paying $11,000 to get the #1 recruit in the country to move to Memphis and then enrolling him at Memphis is basically why these rules exist.

You can disagree on the existence of the rules, but this is like trying to argue to the cop who pulled you over driving 55 mph that it's the speed limit of 25 and not your choice to exceed the speed limit that is in the wrong.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #202 on: November 12, 2019, 07:32:01 AM »
Without going back for the exact quote, Parish said that a Memphis booster paying $11,000 to get the #1 recruit in the country to move to Memphis and then enrolling him at Memphis is basically why these rules exist.

You can disagree on the existence of the rules, but this is like trying to argue to the cop who pulled you over driving 55 mph that it's the speed limit of 25 and not your choice to exceed the speed limit that is in the wrong.

No it isn't. I have made my argument repeatedly so I won't rehash it here.  But your analogy is ridiculous.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #203 on: November 12, 2019, 09:35:56 AM »
Agreed. But there is nothing sensical about being anti-NCAA either.

Being anti-NCAA -  in its current form and under its current tenets - is the only thing that makes sense.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2019, 09:56:08 AM »

No it isn't. I have made my argument repeatedly so I won't rehash it here.  But your analogy is ridiculous.

seems like you, wiseman and his attorneys are about the only ones who feel this way.  think of it this way, us scoop people represent pretty much those who would probably be on the jury if there were to be one.  i'm assuming his attorney, leslie ballin ain't a booster, ey?
don't...don't don't don't don't

muguru

• All American
« Reply #205 on: November 12, 2019, 10:00:41 AM »
This is F'n ridiculous...Really??

Gary Parrish
@GaryParrishCBS
  1h 

Replying to @BrianKelsey

In response to the James Wiseman situation, Tennessee state senator @BrianKelsey told me he will today add language to his "California-style bill” so that “No Tennessee public university may discriminate against a player based on a donation to the university by a coach.” 
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2019, 10:04:27 AM »
Seems like a decent bill, provided there is no provision that says the coach can provide directly to the player, which is what made him ineligible.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »
https://twitter.com/jay_256/status/1194036336396767232?s=20

@jay_256
Memphis' basketball team is wearing specialized shirts to send a direct message to the NCAA. I love it!! #Targeted

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2019, 10:49:09 AM »

@jay_256
Memphis' basketball team is wearing specialized shirts to send a direct message to the NCAA. I love it!! #Targeted

A target on Memphis's back?  Lol.  What?  They've been entirely irrelevant as a program since the last time they were cheating, over a decade ago.  Maybe try winning some games before saying you have a target on your back.

I loved Penny as a player.  He's a very annoying coach.  I respect that while guys like Mullin and Ewing were great NBA players, they don't yell from the mountaintop how everyone is jealous of them and they're all out to get them because of it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #209 on: November 12, 2019, 10:52:59 AM »
I loved Penny as a player.  He's a very annoying coach.  I respect that while guys like Mullin and Ewing were great NBA players, they don't yell from the mountaintop how everyone is jealous of them and they're all out to get them because of it.

On the other hand, Ewing and Mullin never landed a recruiting class that had everyone up in arms.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »

I am not confused in the least.  Stop lying.

Channeling your inner JB.  Knew you had a serious man crush on him.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2019, 01:16:17 PM »
This is F'n ridiculous...Really??

Gary Parrish
@GaryParrishCBS
  1h 

Replying to @BrianKelsey

In response to the James Wiseman situation, Tennessee state senator @BrianKelsey told me he will today add language to his "California-style bill” so that “No Tennessee public university may discriminate against a player based on a donation to the university by a coach.” 

Good luck with that Brian Kelsey.

These guys are so out of control it is incredible.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2019, 01:17:32 PM »

@jay_256

Hmm...the last time targets were used....NM

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #213 on: November 14, 2019, 10:38:43 AM »

fjm

• All American
« Reply #214 on: November 14, 2019, 11:07:40 AM »
Ha. And Memphis let him
Play some
Games. Sheesh.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #215 on: November 14, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »
Also his lawsuit was dropped.  Rumors that the NCAA and Memphis are negotiating a solution.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #216 on: November 14, 2019, 11:22:04 AM »
Also his lawsuit was dropped.  Rumors that the NCAA and Memphis are negotiating a solution.
he showed enough in the.first few games to be a top 3 draft pick. Season over.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #217 on: November 14, 2019, 11:28:44 AM »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2019, 11:52:59 AM »

More new developments, his high school state title may be vacated now...cuz...well stripes are what they are Penny.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28073995/james-wiseman-ineligibility-cost-memphis-east-high-school-state-title
Cue the Pope to tell us this is BS in 3, 2, 1.....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2019, 12:01:22 PM »
Shady from the get-go.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2019, 12:03:44 PM »
My goodness the posts on that twitter feed by Memphis fans are truly ignorant and disturbing.  I guess when all ur program has ever done  is cheat then a fanbase considers nothing out of bounds and chooses to blame the authorities.  This is about as clear a case of impermissable benefits as one will ever see.  He should be ineligible, penny suspended and all games forfeited.  Pretty simple
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2019, 01:36:19 PM »
Did Wiseman graduate from H.S.with a diploma or (Fake). Memphis
let him play? If so, Penny is a joke. Games should be forfeited for cheating. Memphis on probation or Penny released. Wonder what kind of
grade pt. he has in college. Course--How to hold a golf club or walk
straight etc.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2019, 01:37:27 PM »
Sorry- Sand-knit beat me to it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #223 on: November 14, 2019, 01:49:21 PM »
Free James Wiseman.  Make Memphis Great Again.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #224 on: November 14, 2019, 02:16:19 PM »
Free James Wiseman.  Make Memphis Great Again.

Just. Win. Baby.

Everyone. Cheats.

If. You. Ain’t. Cheating. You. Ain’t. Trying.

feedback