Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT Memphis  (Read 42650 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: OT Memphis
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2019, 09:22:41 AM »
Don't confuse the Fluffy Sultan with facts.  They just get in the way.

I am not confused in the least.  Stop lying.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2019, 09:49:09 AM »
“ Smith’s attorney, Ricky Lefft, spoke conspiratorially, telling The Commercial-Appeal, “If you’ve got somebody that wants the job and they’re controlling most of the talent in the city, I’m not casting aspersions. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.” (Smith, who was hired by his own alma mater, High Point, told the paper, “I wish Penny well and I’m sure that he’ll get it done there.”) Hardaway dismisses Lefft’s implications. “There’s no way I can control the talent in Memphis,” he says. “I’m not that powerful.”

That was 2017 and 18.  But ok, “official”
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »

I am not confused in the least.  Stop lying.

You seem to be arguing for a half pregnant booster.

Meanwhile, Penny was involved in multiple activities with U of Memphis from 2015 to 2018 at games, meet and greets, etc. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2019, 09:54:58 AM »
“ Smith’s attorney, Ricky Lefft, spoke conspiratorially, telling The Commercial-Appeal, “If you’ve got somebody that wants the job and they’re controlling most of the talent in the city, I’m not casting aspersions. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.” (Smith, who was hired by his own alma mater, High Point, told the paper, “I wish Penny well and I’m sure that he’ll get it done there.”) Hardaway dismisses Lefft’s implications. “There’s no way I can control the talent in Memphis,” he says. “I’m not that powerful.”

That was 2017 and 18.  But ok, “official”

As wrong as Fluffy is that the only thing making Penny a booster is an 11 year old donation, you're just as wrong here.  Penny wasn't an employee of Memphis.  But he was a booster.

What I do think is dumb is that the NCAA notified Memphis that Wiseman is "likely ineligible."  Wiseman is either eligible (which I believe he was deemed) or he is not.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:56:36 AM by GarciasWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2019, 09:55:36 AM »
The story from Memphis is probably untrue. I’ve dealt with their compliance folks on an issue, and they were either complete idiots or slimy to a high degree.

From my experience, both.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2019, 09:57:02 AM »
As wrong as Fluffy is that the only thing making Penny a booster is an 11 year old donation, you're just as wrong here.  Penny wasn't an employee of Memphis.  But he was a booster.
Was he a (defacto) season ticket holder along the way?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2019, 10:07:44 AM »
Was he a (defacto) season ticket holder along the way?

What's a "defacto" season ticket holder?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2019, 10:27:12 AM »
The story from Memphis is probably untrue. I’ve dealt with their compliance folks on an issue, and they were either complete idiots or slimy to a high degree.

From what I understand, Memphis did not disclose the money in the way they are trying to portray in the news until after the NCAA reopened, as a joint investigation with Memphis, the case. They reopened the case because more information than was disclosed became evident and highlighted serious problems.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2019, 10:52:22 AM »

What I do think is dumb is that the NCAA notified Memphis that Wiseman is "likely ineligible."  Wiseman is either eligible (which I believe he was deemed) or he is not.

More information came to light, so to say he was eligible as or he isn’t is nonsense.  The NCAA can get more info at a later date that changes things...which appears to have happened here.

I didn’t say he was an employee, but he is a booster.

I don’t know why Sultan keeps missing this.

Booster definition Including these:

Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletic programs.

You can’t have Penny out there at alumni events, honored at halftime, etc, etc and not violate at least one if not both of those.

He is a booster.  Period

One final piece to the NCAA definition...the most important piece.  “Once an individual is identified as a representative of the institution athletic’s interests the person retains that identity FOREVER”.

A donation 11 years ago makes him a booster forever.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:56:31 AM by Cheeks »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2019, 12:04:50 PM »
What's a "defacto" season ticket holder?
Probably getting free tix for a lot of games?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2019, 12:11:16 PM »
Free da Indy 500, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2019, 01:51:12 PM »
Free James Wiseman.  Death to the NCAA
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2019, 03:43:55 PM »
Free James Wiseman.  Death to the NCAA

I'm sure you'd have the same opinion if an AAU coach paid to move a kid to Madison while he was scheming to have Gard fired, then, amazingly, got the kid to commit to Madison. Wiseman should never play another NCAA game at Memphis.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2019, 04:11:01 PM »
Good stuff from Gary Parish in the Eye On College Basketball podcast today. First, he said Memphis was aware Wiseman would likely be ruled ineligible before his first game. So this wasn't just some late decision by the NCAA, it was the school deliberately playing a player they knew they shouldn't play. He also said that after talking to other athletic administrators, the consensus was that no one else would've played Wiseman and that Memphis was basically nuts for doing so.

Parish is tied into Memphis and notoriously anti-NCAA when warranted, but he came out strongly saying that Memphis seemed to be in the wrong and that as long as NCAA rules exist, this is about as clear cut a violation as you'll find.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2019, 04:15:11 PM »
I'm sure you'd have the same opinion if an AAU coach paid to move a kid to Madison while he was scheming to have Gard fired, then, amazingly, got the kid to commit to Madison. Wiseman should never play another NCAA game at Memphis.

I am surprised when parents of Madison athletes move to Madison after their kids enroll
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #190 on: November 11, 2019, 04:30:26 PM »
Good stuff from Gary Parish in the Eye On College Basketball podcast today. First, he said Memphis was aware Wiseman would likely be ruled ineligible before his first game. So this wasn't just some late decision by the NCAA, it was the school deliberately playing a player they knew they shouldn't play. He also said that after talking to other athletic administrators, the consensus was that no one else would've played Wiseman and that Memphis was basically nuts for doing so.

Parish is tied into Memphis and notoriously anti-NCAA when warranted, but he came out strongly saying that Memphis seemed to be in the wrong and that as long as NCAA rules exist, this is about as clear cut a violation as you'll find.

This is Memphis trying to cash in on the anti-NCAA nonsense of late to pile on...people like Rico and Sultan and others are auto locked in that mode.  Pretty soon we will have the sob stories from partial Memphis sport writers justifying this payment, etc.  So damn predictable, I’m just shocked that a hack like GP actually sees through this one...that tells me how much this one stinks to high heaven.  It also tells me what I have known about him for a long time, he is of the mind to soften all the rules because he genuinely thinks everyone breaks them...he’s wrong, but that is his going in baseline.

• All American
« Reply #191 on: November 11, 2019, 04:31:50 PM »

I don't agree with the second paragraph, but he is right on the first one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #192 on: November 11, 2019, 04:39:16 PM »
This is Memphis trying to cash in on the anti-NCAA nonsense of late to pile on...people like Rico and Sultan and others are auto locked in that mode.  Pretty soon we will have the sob stories from partial Memphis sport writers justifying this payment, etc.  So damn predictable, I’m just shocked that a hack like GP actually sees through this one...that tells me how much this one stinks to high heaven.  It also tells me what I have known about him for a long time, he is of the mind to soften all the rules because he genuinely thinks everyone breaks them...he’s wrong, but that is his going in baseline.

There's nothing nonsensical about being anti-NCAA.
Believing that Wiseman is ineligible under the rules and believing the NCAA is a sham aren't mutually exclusive.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2019, 06:55:14 PM »
Believing that Wiseman is ineligible under the rules and believing the NCAA is a sham aren't mutually exclusive.

True.

Neither is believing that the NCAA usually gets things wrong but this time got it right.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2019, 06:55:16 PM »

I don't agree with the second paragraph, but he is right on the first one.

I assume you don't agree with the sentiment, because in terms of content, while Parish applauded it because it will make for great radio content, he was pretty clear in saying this is a textbook rules violation.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2019, 07:36:48 PM »
I assume you don't agree with the sentiment, because in terms of content, while Parish applauded it because it will make for great radio content, he was pretty clear in saying this is a textbook rules violation.

Sure. If you believe in “textbook rules violations.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2019, 08:28:54 PM »

Yep.

True.

Neither is believing that the NCAA usually gets things wrong but this time got it right.

Yep yep.

The whole "even a blind squirrel" thing applies.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2019, 08:52:24 PM »

Maybe your ncaa is my gov’t / media equivalent... now it makes sense.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2019, 08:54:14 PM »
Maybe your ncaa is my gov’t / media equivalent... now it makes sense.

Politics.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2019, 08:56:37 PM »

Agreed. But there is nothing sensical about being anti-NCAA either. It is strictly an opinion one way or the other. Also, like any major organization, they get some things right, and some things wrong.