[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference BET Results  (Read 321570 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Big East Conference Results
« Reply #1750 on: February 12, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »
Butler 59 X 50 3:45 left second
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1751 on: February 12, 2020, 07:32:04 PM »
Chicos and hoopaloop have argued it, so that is "some". I believe we were ranked #16 before the tourney, so we were safely in.

When I am done logging in for Billy, Warrior Dad, and BernFeel I will switch back to Hoopaloop and have a conversation with me.

We were 19th the week before the bids came out and 16th the week the bids came out (post bids).  Ranked teams have been denied in the past with a  65 team field, and that was a 32 team field I believe.  If I recall it was SI or another outlet(s) saying MU was in jeopardy of earning a bid entirely.  Will lost if I can find.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 07:33:53 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #1752 on: February 12, 2020, 07:32:48 PM »
Nice to see Powell have a horrible game as SHU goes down to 23 Creighton.

Ray Foye Combo

• Walk-On
« Reply #1753 on: February 12, 2020, 07:34:02 PM »
The first 35 minutes of a game Markus is better. The last five minutes of a game Powell is better. Once Seton Hall gets in the bonus Powell just punishes the opposition with physical offensive plays.

I actually thought Powell was better than Markus last year, because he would outplay Markus when they met. Ponds would also outplay Markus. I glad Markus won most valuable player last year, but I thought he was the third best guard in the conference.

I would have taken Ponds last year too.  Howard's lack of size and athleticism hurts him no doubt. His shot though, outweighs pretty much everything to me.

edit - Markus' feel for the game is big time too. Big time ticker in Raf's voice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1754 on: February 12, 2020, 07:39:35 PM »
The first 35 minutes of a game Markus is better. The last five minutes of a game Powell is better.

Not tonight.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #1755 on: February 12, 2020, 07:41:32 PM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

nyg

• All American
« Reply #1756 on: February 12, 2020, 10:23:59 PM »
SJU beats Providence.  Honestly, when they lost Heron, I believed they would not win another game this year.  They have no bench, nada, zilch....  Providence had 24 turnovers, 24....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1757 on: February 12, 2020, 10:49:57 PM »
Nice to see Creighton get a win over The Hall. It helps the conference to have as many strong teams as possible.

Also was good to see the post Heron Johnnies come up with a win over Cooley. Hopefully that propels their NET ranking a bit.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1758 on: February 13, 2020, 12:57:20 AM »
SJU beats Providence.  Honestly, when they lost Heron, I believed they would not win another game this year.  They have no bench, nada, zilch....  Providence had 24 turnovers, 24....

So much for the prediction on here that the BE would get 9 teams in the tourney. Will get 5, max, unless X wins the conference tourney. SH, Nova, MU, Butler, Creighton.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1759 on: February 13, 2020, 04:54:15 AM »
So much for the prediction on here that the BE would get 9 teams in the tourney. Will get 5, max, unless X wins the conference tourney. SH, Nova, MU, Butler, Creighton.

Did someone actually predict 9 teams in the tourney?

Why does X need to win the conference tourney? They are currently a 10 seed on the Bracket Matrix, losing by single digits at Butler isn't going to knock them out of the field. They also close the season with 5 Q1 games (assuming SJU's double digit win over Providence moves them from 77 to top 75 in NET) and 1 Q2 game. They have no opportunities for a bad loss and many opportunities for good wins, seems to bode well for their chances.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1760 on: February 13, 2020, 05:31:50 AM »

When I am done logging in for Billy, Warrior Dad, and BernFeel I will switch back to Hoopaloop and have a conversation with me.

We were 19th the week before the bids came out and 16th the week the bids came out (post bids).  Ranked teams have been denied in the past with a  65 team field, and that was a 32 team field I believe.  If I recall it was SI or another outlet(s) saying MU was in jeopardy of earning a bid entirely.  Will lost if I can find.
Big difference between saying we were in danger if not making the field versus we received a bid because Al announced his retirement

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1761 on: February 13, 2020, 06:09:46 AM »

If you're interested in what was actually said when I had 9 teams in the field, you can read this:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2019/12/really-big-east-2020-ncaa-mock-bracket.html?m=1

This is probably what you're referring to:

Quote from: brewcity77
If I'm honest, I don't expect this to hold. Teams like Georgetown and Seton Hall will face real challenges to make the field with depleted rosters, St. John's and DePaul have to prove that their solid non-con wins aren't a fluke, and the league would need incredible parity for everyone to get the 8-10 wins needed to make the field. Most likely some of these teams fall off, but it seems highly likely the league has enough quality to place at least 6 teams in the field and 7 or even 8 are very realistic.

On non-con, there were 9 teams worthy, but at this point I think 8 is only possible if St John's, DePaul, or Providence win the Big East Tournament. Most likely 6-7 with Xavier & Georgetown on the bubble, and even then I'm very skeptical on Georgetown's ability to get the wins they need considering how thin their roster is.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1763 on: February 13, 2020, 08:55:27 AM »
So much for the prediction on here that the BE would get 9 teams in the tourney.

So much for some Scoopers actually being able to read.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1764 on: February 13, 2020, 04:53:29 PM »
Big difference between saying we were in danger if not making the field versus we received a bid because Al announced his retirement

Actually both were linked in the article if I recall.  Will try to find
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1767 on: February 14, 2020, 10:05:30 PM »
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1768 on: February 14, 2020, 10:37:57 PM »

Yep. We were in big danger late - lost our last home game and were either 15 or 16 and 6 and closing the season on the road. We won 3 or 4 straight road games before closing the season out on selection Sunday at highly rated (2 or 3 iirc) Michigan. We led by 9 at halftime when Al got official word that we were in. We lost that game by 1 to finish 20-7, 25-7 when the dust cleared at season’s end.

We were likely on the outside looking in when we hit the road but played our way back in. I heard zero, zip, zilch about the NCAA giving a bid to Al as a parting gift. Nobody with half a brain would have suggested it. It was common knowledge that the NCAA despised Al and the feeling was mutual.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1770 on: February 15, 2020, 07:58:12 AM »
why no game today??  this is big basketball game day man!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #1771 on: February 15, 2020, 08:32:34 AM »
why no game today??  this is big basketball game day man!!

nova is playing Temple so someone needs a bye, glad they have the time off to get a little healthier and ready for Creighton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1772 on: February 15, 2020, 08:51:11 AM »
https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/creighton/creighton-went-small-and-torched-the-big-east-s-top/article_ad6a475c-49e5-5e4e-8450-b219e2095f9e.html

If Wojo is ever gonna go with a smaller lineup for any decent amount of time, this would seem to be the game to use a lineup such as Markus, Koby, Sacar, Cain, Bailey, with Elliott and Torrence sprinkled in.

Theo at least can move a little on the perimeter, though he gets lost out there and sometimes commits cheap fouls. Once again, it's hard to imagine Jayce being a major factor. In conference play, Creighton and Nova bring his worst matchups, and he has been a total non-contributor in the 3 games so far against the 2 teams.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1773 on: February 15, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »
Yep. We were in big danger late - lost our last home game and were either 15 or 16 and 6 and closing the season on the road. We won 3 or 4 straight road games before closing the season out on selection Sunday at highly rated (2 or 3 iirc) Michigan. We led by 9 at halftime when Al got official word that we were in. We lost that game by 1 to finish 20-7, 25-7 when the dust cleared at season’s end.

We were likely on the outside looking in when we hit the road but played our way back in. I heard zero, zip, zilch about the NCAA giving a bid to Al as a parting gift. Nobody with half a brain would have suggested it. It was common knowledge that the NCAA despised Al and the feeling was mutual.

You are conflating a bit here.  Al was frustrated by the NCAA selection process as well as the politics of the NCAA, but “despise” is not the right word choice here.  Al would go on to talk about the goodness of the NCAA in his broadcast years....he had no problem earning a living broadcasting events run by a group he “despised” either.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1774 on: February 15, 2020, 03:11:57 PM »

I would suggest reading Al McGuire; the Colorful Warrior by Roger Jaynes.   Focus on pages 90 to 120.  McGuire said no bid was coming after losing to Detroit.  Jaynes implied one of the reasons he announced his retirement in December was because he knew this team couldn’t win it all...his last best chance was the previous few years where technical fouls hurt the cause.  Jaynes stayed it was a way for Al to tell the NCAA the bad blood was over, don’t penalize my players in the swan song year.

McGuire nit only said no NCAA but also questioned if they could even get into the NIT.

Of course MU then went on to win a series of must win games on the road leading into Michigan.  McGuire now felt we deserved a shot and Jaynes captures it pretty well regarding the flight from Omaha to Ann Arbor and the announcement to Kevin Byrnes at halftime. 

Again, I said SOME and you can read it for yourself if you think that was his intent...if the NCAA looked at Al retiring as another reason to grant a bid.  That is subjective, but the book is worth reading in my opinion.

feedback