[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brendon Bailey article in Church News  (Read 19438 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Brendon Bailey article in Church News
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 03:44:47 PM »
Good stuff. Think we see some big things from mr. Bailey this season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 07:44:38 PM »
Spent a bit of time with Thurl in Hartford after the debacle.  Enjoyed our conversation.

Brandon and Sacar will be the real deal this year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 07:48:40 PM »
I think Sacar averages double digits points and Bailey comes close.   Joey numbers.  Better defense, probably not as many rebounds.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 08:29:03 PM »
I think Sacar averages double digits points and Bailey comes close.   Joey numbers.  Better defense, probably not as many rebounds.

And not as good of a passer, Joey dropped some dimes last year. But I'd take that trade off for the makeup of this year's team. More ball handlers so the passing from the 4 isn't as needed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 08:33:58 PM »
And not as good of a passer, Joey dropped some dimes last year. But I'd take that trade off for the makeup of this year's team. More ball handlers so the passing from the 4 isn't as needed.
Fewer assists, but fewer turnovers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »

Brandon and Sacar will be the real deal this year.

Yup!! 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 07:58:45 AM »
Sounds like a very mature and well-grounded kid. And with his size and athletic ability, the sky is the limit.

Love the HS nickname - the Cavemen!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 08:15:16 AM »
Sounds like a very mature and well-grounded kid. And with his size and athletic ability, the sky is the limit.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 08:22:42 AM »

Yeah, liked the nickname...they will be forced to change it within 5 years I am sure.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 08:37:46 AM »
 the good thing about freshman is they become sophomores-looking for nice things from brendan(and sacar)
don't...don't don't don't don't

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 09:10:26 AM »
I think, based on on Brendans play, we will soon be saying Joey who?.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »
the good thing about freshman is they become sophomores-looking for nice things from brendan(and sacar)

Yup.  And he isn’t your normal sophomore maturity wise.  I think he ends up being an all-timer at MU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 09:49:27 AM »
Yup.  And he isn’t your normal sophomore maturity wise.  I think he ends up being an all-timer at MU

He shouldn't be because he isn't your normal sophomore age wise. He turned 22 last spring.

When I think of MU "all timers" I think D Wade, Butch Lee, Meminger, Luke, GT, Jimmy Chones and Bo. Next tier Markus, Kojis, Tatum, JFB, Jae, T Smith and Travis. 3rd tier Dom, Wesley, Lazar, Whitehead and Jerel.

If BB ends up in tier 3 I'll be very happy - but to me that's not an MU "all timer".

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 10:01:39 AM »
FWIW, exercise caution with expectations. I'm also high on Bailey's ceiling, but Paint Touches noted...

"of the 28 players in the last 7 years to take a Mormon mission, only 2 saw a 'jump' up in their 2nd year back.

And of the 2 that were ranked in the top-150 coming out of high school, one actually saw a dip in year 2.
"
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 10:05:49 AM »
Yeah we will see about BB. Joey will end up with a better career when all is said and done IMO. Izzo will fix his defensive issues.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 10:12:19 AM »
Yeah we will see about BB. Joey will end up with a better career when all is said and done IMO. Izzo will fix his defensive issues.

I'm not completely sold on either of them. Joey hit that wall hard and had very low self-awareness in that regard. Yes, Markus' usage increased and productivity plummeted in the end run of the season, but Joey's usage also increased and productivity also plummeted over the same timespan.

Comparing Joey and Bailey, I think Joey has a higher floor, but Bailey has a (significantly) higher ceiling. There are a number of things that, physically, Joey simply cannot do that Bailey can. And I don't think Joey is nearly as high-IQ of a player as Sam was, so it's not like he has that built-in advantage over other players that Sam does. Joey will be a good collegiate player, but I'm not convinced he'll ever be great.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 10:24:04 AM »
FWIW, exercise caution with expectations. I'm also high on Bailey's ceiling, but Paint Touches noted...

"of the 28 players in the last 7 years to take a Mormon mission, only 2 saw a 'jump' up in their 2nd year back.

And of the 2 that were ranked in the top-150 coming out of high school, one actually saw a dip in year 2.
"

How many of those 7 come from the stock of BB’s athletic parents?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 10:58:59 AM »
How many of those 7 come from the stock of BB’s athletic parents?

So you're sticking you your "MU all timer" (Wade, Chones, Lee, etc.) prediction?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 12:11:02 PM »
So you're sticking you your "MU all timer" (Wade, Chones, Lee, etc.) prediction?

Not under your definition.  Jerel McNeal is our all time leading scorer...so he’s an all timer.  Markus is about to be.

I think this kid has the chance to be pretty special. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 12:28:33 PM »
Not under your definition.  Jerel McNeal is our all time leading scorer...so he’s an all timer.  Markus is about to be.

I think this kid has the chance to be pretty special.

Is McNeal still an all timer when he is no longer the all time leading scorer?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2019, 12:33:49 PM »
Is McNeal still an all timer when he is no longer the all time leading scorer?

He will be in the top 5 all time leading scorer for quite some time...so yes, an all timer.   Let’s not confuse all-timer with greatest or one of the greatest.  If people are misconstruing that, let me put that to bed right now.

Steve Novak is an all-timer at MU, I wouldn’t rate him in the top 15 best MU players.  Hopefully that adds some clarity. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 12:49:38 PM »
He will be in the top 5 all time leading scorer for quite some time...so yes, an all timer.   Let’s not confuse all-timer with greatest or one of the greatest.  If people are misconstruing that, let me put that to bed right now.

Steve Novak is an all-timer at MU, I wouldn’t rate him in the top 15 best MU players.  Hopefully that adds some clarity.

So just someone who's name is associated with an era of success or what?
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 01:01:23 PM »
This isnt going to end well

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback