[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 298809 times)

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #3350 on: January 04, 2024, 12:36:21 AM »
The idea of the American Dream is a "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" type of thinking. That it doesn't matter what your social standing is at birth - you are the one largely responsible for making yourself successful.  Now I think the United States still provides those opportunities, but has been bypassed by a number of others on the social mobility scale.

The "high floor" as Wags puts it, socializes education and health care in a way that takes out two of the largest factors that IMO are detriments to social mobility here.

It’s easier to achieve upwards mobility here than many places in the world but it certainly isn’t everyone starting at home plate. Its also very unforgiving to misfortune

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3351 on: January 04, 2024, 06:19:21 AM »
It’s easier to achieve upwards mobility here than many places in the world but it certainly isn’t everyone starting at home plate. Its also very unforgiving to misfortune

Well, and it used to be much easier to have upward mobility a few decades back in the US than it is now.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3352 on: January 05, 2024, 11:45:43 AM »
We're in that curious space where the markets don't love a sterling economy.

Jobs: +216,000 (46K over estimates)
Unemployment: flat at 3.7% (+.2% better than estimates)
Wage growth: +4.1%

Markets: "meh"
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 12:11:43 PM by TSmith34, Inc. »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3353 on: January 05, 2024, 12:11:24 PM »

Well, the market is near an all-time high, and SPY did just gain 24% last year. So a little better than "meh."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3354 on: January 05, 2024, 12:13:14 PM »
Well, the market is near an all-time high, and SPY did just gain 24% last year. So a little better than "meh."
Meh in reaction to these numbers, as it lessens the chance and speed of the predicted 6 interest rate cuts this year, which seemed overly optimistic to me anyway.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3355 on: January 05, 2024, 12:19:41 PM »
Meh in reaction to these numbers, as it lessens the chance and speed of the predicted 6 interest rate cuts this year, which seemed overly optimistic to me anyway.

Most predictions I've seen have been 3 rate cuts in 2024. It'll be interesting to see what actually happens.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3356 on: January 05, 2024, 12:28:34 PM »
Most predictions I've seen have been 3 rate cuts in 2024. It'll be interesting to see what actually happens.

If you go back through my posts, I’ve been a frequent and vocal critic of Powell going back 5 years, but I will say that he’s actually impressed me over the last 18 months or so and I think he and the Fed actually have a very good handle on things/perspective.  Wild to think given how I viewed them during the money printer go BRRRRR days 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3357 on: January 05, 2024, 01:32:37 PM »

Wage growth: +4.1%

Priced in, everytime

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3358 on: January 05, 2024, 01:35:36 PM »

Well, it is an election year. Any port in a storm, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3359 on: January 05, 2024, 02:13:03 PM »

Last I heard, the current president didn't do what your lord did: constantly badger and berate Powell, threaten to fire him, call him an "enemy" of the American people, etc. All to get a couple of rate cuts that weren't necessary during an economy your lord claimed was the best ever.

The current president has let Powell do his job. And as Wags said, Powell has been doing it pretty darn well.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #3360 on: January 05, 2024, 03:35:12 PM »
Last I heard, the current president didn't do what your lord did: constantly badger and berate Powell, threaten to fire him, call him an "enemy" of the American people, etc. All to get a couple of rate cuts that weren't necessary during an economy your lord claimed was the best ever.

The current president has let Powell do his job. And as Wags said, Powell has been doing it pretty darn well.

I agree with this analysis. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3361 on: January 05, 2024, 03:36:41 PM »

Yes, 4Qver, it is undoubtedly a conspiracy. Just as zerohedge said. The guy Trump appointed is in the bag for Dark Brandon. Which is why he raised interest rates 11 times. What a clever boy you are.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 03:42:40 PM by TSmith34, Inc. »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #3362 on: January 05, 2024, 05:07:18 PM »
The price of teeth must be underperforming the S&P

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3363 on: January 05, 2024, 05:22:46 PM »
It is real simple, smart money is in ahead of good news and idiots are in after good news.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3364 on: January 05, 2024, 08:34:18 PM »
It is real simple, smart money is in ahead of good news and idiots are in after good news.

Smart money buys and holds. Dumb money buys and sells thinking they can outsmart mr. market.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3365 on: January 05, 2024, 09:44:24 PM »

In trading, you buy the rumor and sell the news.

In investing, you use weakness to add to your portfolio - it’s what the cash you’re holding is for.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3366 on: January 06, 2024, 05:51:36 AM »
Lenny

I wish you posted on this thread more often. You bring a ton of insight on the topic. That said, I at least hope you read this thread often and gain knowledge from a number of investing experts on here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3367 on: January 06, 2024, 07:58:45 AM »
Goose, few if any here are claiming to be "investing experts." I sure as heck am not claiming that. Are you? Had I made a comment like you just did, you'd have accused me of trying to "stir the pot." But that's OK; you sometimes like to stir, too.

It's a forum to discuss investing ideas. I also hope Lenny stops by often -- and I totally agree with his last post.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #3368 on: January 06, 2024, 08:00:22 AM »
Honest question here. If you had $500k to either invest in the s&p 500 or buy an airbnb lake house grossing 30 to 40k a year non guaranteed a year, what would you choose?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3369 on: January 06, 2024, 08:07:20 AM »
Honest question here. If you had $500k to either invest in the s&p 500 or buy an airbnb lake house grossing 30 to 40k a year non guaranteed a year, what would you choose?

Ton of factors here, is that 30-40K gross or net?  Paying all cash, mortgage?  Condition of the lake house, would the 500K wipe you out, or still have a nest egg just for lake house repairs.   Lastly what are your savings goals, S&P 500 is great long term, is real estate something you want to get into…

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3370 on: January 06, 2024, 08:09:24 AM »

On first blush, a 6-8% non guaranteed gross return on a speculative (lake house) piece of real estate seems a little light.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3371 on: January 06, 2024, 08:13:49 AM »

Not stirring the pot one bit. I sincerely respect any thoughts that are shared by Lenny on the topic. For the record, I have a better chance on being the next HC after Shaka leaves than being considered an investing expert.

To clarify, my post was in reference was in regards to the market being in a curious space with all of the great economic numbers. I was simply saying smart guys are in before the news and out after the news. Those smart guys are the big boys and they drive the market, imo.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3372 on: January 06, 2024, 08:27:41 AM »
I am rhe opposite of an expert. My retirement investment plan was to stay at a job with a really good pension.   Pay off a house early.  Stay in it.   Stay married to my first wife.   Put money into my 457 and her 401k plans.  Live within my means.   And then to trust the process and the market.   
  I have friends who chase every market trend.   I have friends who are financial planners.   The former frustrate the latter.   I understand the impulses.   It just isn't me.

In answer to Howardsworld's really fun question, my wife and I are leaving our half million plus in the aforementioned 457 and 401k.   No interest in being a landlord.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 08:41:23 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3373 on: January 06, 2024, 08:56:08 AM »
I am rhe opposite of an expert. My retirement investment plan was to stay at a job with a really good pension.   Pay off a house early.  Stay in it.   Stay married to my first wife.   Put money into my 457 and her 401k plans.  Live within my means.   And then to trust the process and the market.   
  I have friends who chase every market trend.   I have friends who are financial planners.   The former frustrate the latter.   I understand the impulses.   It just isn't me.

In answer to Howardsworld's really fun question, my wife and I are leaving our half million plus in the aforementioned 457 and 401k.   No interest in being a landlord.

Please don’t share this with your bride - she might not appreciate that you stayed married to her as part of your retirement investment plan.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3374 on: January 06, 2024, 09:01:52 AM »
Why?  That is an ongoing joke between us.  She married me and stayed married because of my health care benefits. I stay married to her because there are divorce attorneys at the law firm at which she works willing to work for her for free.

I get that based on your recent post history you may have to Google 'joke' and 'humor'.

Although the chain gang bit wasn't bad.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 09:07:48 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback