[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 299103 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #3225 on: December 24, 2023, 09:41:16 AM »
  this is all fine and great at the moment, but understand(if you can??) his regulations will not have an impact TODAY!!  just give them a few months or so.  ya ever hear of boiling the frog?  btw, ya getting rid of your gas stove yet?  either has heels up harry

How do you feel about fluoride in water? Eliminating lead in paint or gasoline?

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #3226 on: December 24, 2023, 09:45:27 AM »
How do you feel about fluoride in water? Eliminating lead in paint or gasoline?
or microchips in vaccines

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3227 on: December 24, 2023, 09:54:59 AM »
or microchips in vaccines

or kitty litter in classrooms.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3228 on: December 24, 2023, 10:03:30 AM »
  this is all fine and great at the moment, but understand(if you can??) his regulations will not have an impact TODAY!!  just give them a few months or so.  ya ever hear of boiling the frog?  btw, ya getting rid of your gas stove yet?  either has heels up harry
And in a few months those Ivermectin studies will be coming out, too.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3229 on: December 24, 2023, 10:10:33 AM »
It's got to be an act, right? It simply has to be. Nobody can be THAT ignorant about that many subjects, right?

Anyhoo ... It's the Investing Thread, folks. I hope it's been a fruitful year for everyone!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 10:31:36 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3230 on: December 24, 2023, 10:51:02 AM »
FWIW, I was speaking to “willful ignorance” of the general population not realizing what the US’ more recent surge to top oil producer, as opposed to pure partisan bias.  But if we’re talking in the thread and amongst posters, then I don’t have any disagreements

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3231 on: December 24, 2023, 11:25:01 AM »

lol. What?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3232 on: December 24, 2023, 11:47:20 AM »
It's got to be an act, right? It simply has to be. Nobody can be THAT ignorant about that many subjects, right?

Anyhoo ... It's the Investing Thread, folks. I hope it's been a fruitful year for everyone!

It was. Life is good.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #3233 on: December 24, 2023, 12:33:18 PM »

It was. Life is good.

82 and Jockey, I agree it has been a great 2023.  Here's to an even better 2024. 

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #3234 on: December 24, 2023, 12:44:09 PM »
I don't see or hear any signs of slowdowns in 2024 (im also not a cfp or cfa so who knows). Markets usually wait and see during election years? Market withstood major macro disruptions this year and went higher and higher
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 12:46:00 PM by MUeng »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3235 on: December 24, 2023, 09:09:36 PM »
I am into long term investing. Haven’t looked at any of my portfolios in 6 months. Guess i will do that on Christmas morning and see what has happened .

Had lunch about a month ago with one of the largest bank CEOs ( one of top two) . He told a small group of us that he was lobbying hard with the Fed for a soft landing . Seems like he is successful.

We are seeing heavy handed regulation all through our industry . My peers are reluctant to make capital commitments unless a project is absolutely necessary.

Also , while Oil is pumping , it is hard to obtain new drilling permits. Gas prices are down as they always are this time of year. When summer driving season kicks in they will be back up.

Election in 2024 will have a lot of consequences .

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3236 on: December 24, 2023, 09:13:13 PM »
I am into long term investing. Haven’t looked at any of my portfolios in 6 months. Guess i will do that on Christmas morning and see what has happened .

Had lunch about a month ago with one of the largest bank CEOs ( one of top two) . He told a small group of us that he was lobbying hard with the Fed for a soft landing . Seems like he is successful.

We are seeing heavy handed regulation all through our industry . My peers are reluctant to make capital commitments unless a project is absolutely necessary.

Also , while Oil is pumping , it is hard to obtain new drilling permits. Gas prices are down as they always are this time of year. When summer driving season kicks in they will be back up.

Election in 2024 will have a lot of consequences .

Your peers are idiots

They’d have probably traded Jordan Love
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 09:15:51 PM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3237 on: December 24, 2023, 09:21:00 PM »
So many unused leases as big oil is not inclined to drill as they don't think there is a long range future for petroleum.   Stupid market forces.  I am of the opinion that, due to the charging grid not being ready to handle full electrification, the transition to electric cars will be slower than expected.  Not enough chargers.   My bottom line  prediction is that big oil will start cautiously drilling on the most promising sites in the next couple of years, as they decide there is still money to be made.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3238 on: December 24, 2023, 09:22:43 PM »
So many unused leases as big oil is not inclined to drill as they don't think there is a long range future for petroleum.   Stupid market forces.  I am of the opinion that, due to the charging grid not being ready to handle full electrification, the transition to electric cars will be slower than expected.  Not enough chargers.   My bottom line  prediction is that big oil will start cautiously drilling on the most promising sites in the next couple of years, as they decide there is still money to be made.

Gas prices are historically down during heavy travel seasons and winter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3239 on: December 25, 2023, 11:44:36 AM »
Does he also post 70 links a day to a college basketball message board?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3240 on: December 25, 2023, 12:36:19 PM »
Does he also post 70 links a day to a college basketball message board?

I realize a lot of people have their internet personas. But is any of them less believable that Herman?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3241 on: December 25, 2023, 06:50:29 PM »
lol. What?

you do understand that once a regulation is implemented, you will not feel it's affect tomorrow, yes?  that's all

don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3242 on: December 25, 2023, 06:51:47 PM »
And in a few months those Ivermectin studies will be coming out, too.

nice deflection.  so in other words you still do not understand like sully
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3243 on: December 25, 2023, 06:51:48 PM »
  you do understand that once a regulation is implemented, you will not feel it's affect tomorrow, yes?  that's all

Sure bud.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3244 on: December 25, 2023, 09:02:34 PM »
I realize a lot of people have their internet personas. But is any of them less believable that Herman?
MUFINY tore himself away from posting NY Post links long enough to allow Brian Moynihan (or maybe Jamie Dimon) to have lunch with him. Turns out the Fed was planning on a hard landing for the economy until Moynihan (or Dimon) lobbied for a soft landing, upon which the Fed said, "Oh, OK, I guess we'll try for a soft landing."

After lunch, MUFINY went back to tracking the hourly movements of the Hausers and Aaron Rodgers.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3245 on: December 25, 2023, 10:28:47 PM »
I had lunch with an interior decorator this week. She and her sister companies are inundated with work redesigning offices in the Midwest. Corporate spend on non-necessities is up.

According to my bud that runs a global 3PL firm there are still plenty of soft spots where companies haven't recovered from the recession, but other industries are growing so rapidly that the 3PL firm is having to unexpectedly shift resources around.

Good news, anecdotally.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3246 on: December 26, 2023, 06:36:20 AM »
MUFINY tore himself away from posting NY Post links long enough to allow Brian Moynihan (or maybe Jamie Dimon) to have lunch with him. Turns out the Fed was planning on a hard landing for the economy until Moynihan (or Dimon) lobbied for a soft landing, upon which the Fed said, "Oh, OK, I guess we'll try for a soft landing."

After lunch, MUFINY went back to tracking the hourly movements of the Hausers and Aaron Rodgers.

I was at that lunch with him.  Everything he said is true.  Then he reminisced about what 70’s actress he had crushes on and finally spilled the story about Quentin Grimes body language during his official

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3247 on: December 26, 2023, 08:01:36 AM »
TSLA, which had a miserable 2022 (-65%), has rebounded and is up more than 100% this year.

Even with this year's gain, TSLA is only up 14% since the start of 2021 - one of my bigger laggards over the 3 years. Compare that to the 3-year total returns of MSFT (73%), AAPL (49%) or even "boring" stocks like MCD (48%), HD (38%) and CTBI (36%).

I did buy a little more TSLA last year, but it's a relatively small position for me. I have a couple friends who loaded up pretty good when it was down under $125 last year, and they're smiling big. They aren't Musk fans, but they are fans of making money.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3248 on: December 26, 2023, 08:41:35 AM »
I invest in management teams. Elon is not a team player and he is not a good manager. I would have trouble letting him manage my money.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3249 on: December 26, 2023, 08:47:47 AM »
I had lunch with an interior decorator this week. She and her sister companies are inundated with work redesigning offices in the Midwest. Corporate spend on non-necessities is up.

According to my bud that runs a global 3PL firm there are still plenty of soft spots where companies haven't recovered from the recession, but other industries are growing so rapidly that the 3PL firm is having to unexpectedly shift resources around.

Good news, anecdotally.
Skat, did you get a sense for what sort of redesigning is happening? More shared space/smaller footprint, or something else?

feedback