[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 298941 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #3125 on: December 14, 2023, 01:57:53 PM »
I'm already starting to see quick turnaround large buys and the panic "do you have in stock" emails for January delivery (4 already this week).  We usually have longer lead times to work with to make.  I'm also hearing from other manufacturing firms seeing the same issue as me that their customers and their customer's customers put off buys the last 3 months since they had inventory and decided to negotiate price decreases with their suppliers before placing 2024 orders.  Looks like a lot of underestimated demand and companies are just realizing they way underbought the last few months.   

I'm adding another 2 cents from my post last week.  Economy should be rolling well in 2024.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3126 on: December 14, 2023, 02:20:50 PM »
Based on the fact that 2/3 of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck and a majority would be unable to afford a $1000 emergency, I think you're correct.

That is an incorrect figure I think. The source of your data (grabbed the cnbc link from your post history) was LendingClub.com. The actual source said that 67% of consumers living alone are living paycheck to paycheck, and only 21% of people living paycheck to paycheck self reported having trouble paying bills.

Here's the article behind the article you posted - https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/31/61percent-of-americans-live-paycheck-to-paycheck-even-as-inflation-cools.html

Here's the source that they misquoted to make it sound bad, if sourcing LendingClub.com wasn't bad enough- https://www.pymnts.com/study/reality-check-paycheck-to-paycheck-inflation-household-spending-shared-expenses/

Still, a salute to all the hyper-consumers out there spending their whole paycheck propping up the stock market. Keep up the great work.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3127 on: December 14, 2023, 05:26:57 PM »
Skatastrophy - You might have me mistaken for 82.

Maybe Skatastrophy mistook you for a dentist ...

Because I never let my thoughts on politics interfere with my investing. They are two separate worlds.

Biden, Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan ... you name the president, or who had control of Congress, or who governors or mayors were, or whatever ... I stay invested, and I'm always looking for opportunities to invest more.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3128 on: December 14, 2023, 05:49:19 PM »

Seriously?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3129 on: December 14, 2023, 06:04:51 PM »

Seriously?

not to worry goose-better to be mistaken as a dentist than a "journalist"...way better
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3130 on: December 14, 2023, 06:16:36 PM »

Seriously?

Seriously what, Goose?

You don't understand that I don't let my thoughts on politics interfere with my investing? What don't you understand about it? I thought I explained it pretty well.

And BTW ... you're the one who brought it up, and who brought me into it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3131 on: December 14, 2023, 06:17:11 PM »
  not to worry goose-better to be mistaken as a dentist than a "journalist"...way better

6.5 out of 10
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3132 on: December 14, 2023, 09:51:16 PM »
Rocket

I am a proud member of the dentist fan club!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3133 on: December 15, 2023, 06:10:59 AM »
Rocket

reconsider.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3134 on: December 15, 2023, 07:02:01 AM »
Rocket

😬😬😬
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3135 on: December 15, 2023, 08:16:50 AM »
As I read several investing sites last night and this morning, numerous analysts are coming out and warning that this market rally is "overcooked" and that trouble is on the horizon.

They might be right. Or not.

What I do know is that lots of these exact same experts are the men and women who predicted a year ago that the market would be flat at best in 2023, with many predicting a decline and/or a recession.

SPY is up 24% this year, so those who listened to them missed out on some serious gains.

Again, I'm not saying the bears are wrong this time. I'm saying that I don't know ... and that I have little reason to believe they know, either.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3136 on: December 15, 2023, 08:55:57 AM »
BOTUS is planning a trip to MKE. Hopefully GPS steers him in the right direction and he doesn't end up in Lake Michigan. Going to taut the success of Buffoonomics. LOL, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3137 on: December 15, 2023, 09:07:16 AM »
BOTUS is planning a trip to MKE. Hopefully GPS steers him in the right direction and he doesn't end up in Lake Michigan. Going to taut the success of Buffoonomics. LOL, hey?

We avoided a recession and inflation was transitory, so that's worth bragging about.

Not that the president has any power over those things.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3138 on: December 15, 2023, 10:02:33 AM »

Tell me again how Foxconn turned out for everyone?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3139 on: December 15, 2023, 10:08:42 AM »
Tell me again how Foxconn turned out for everyone?

Pretty much how everyone knew it would. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3140 on: December 15, 2023, 10:20:32 AM »

Your BDS doesn't belong in the Investing Thread. Take it elsewhere.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3141 on: December 15, 2023, 10:38:25 AM »
Neary 3M jobs created in the last 12 months
Inflation cut by 2/3rds
GDP over 3% in last 12 months, including blasting over 5% last quarter
Real wage growth in excess of inflation

Easily fooled mentally diminished conspiracy theorist proclaims everything terrible
Checks out
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3142 on: December 15, 2023, 10:51:12 AM »
Neary 3M jobs created in the last 12 months
Inflation cut by 2/3rds
GDP over 3% in last 12 months, including blasting over 5% last quarter
Real wage growth in excess of inflation

Easily fooled mentally diminished conspiracy theorist proclaims everything terrible
Checks out

easy on the sauce smith, most of the jobs were RECOVERED not created.  inflation is still hurting those however that do not have the extra cash to get in to the market.  some probably have this stuff in retirement funds, but let's be honest, they do not have the resources to enjoy the ride many others can

but yes, i do like the direction of the market, gas prices have fallen in this area to mid to high $2.  there have been many stocks that had been designated as hold, until they were off to the races.    got in to AI market with chips-intc, amd, nvda along with appl, msft, meta,ibm, 3m  uranium is killing it, CRM-YES!  and there are others

yes, and there are the "experts" out there...nuff said

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #3143 on: December 15, 2023, 11:16:08 AM »
   easy on the sauce smith, most of the jobs were RECOVERED not created.  inflation is still hurting those however that do not have the extra cash to get in to the market.  some probably have this stuff in retirement funds, but let's be honest, they do not have the resources to enjoy the ride many others can

but yes, i do like the direction of the market, gas prices have fallen in this area to mid to high $2.  there have been many stocks that had been designated as hold, until they were off to the races.    got in to AI market with chips-intc, amd, nvda along with appl, msft, meta,ibm, 3m  uranium is killing it, CRM-YES!  and there are others

So these jobs and the low unemployment report that goes along with them don't count?  Why change the rules now?  The jobs weren't there and now they are.  Nuff said.  Send your thanks directly to Joe. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3144 on: December 15, 2023, 11:21:19 AM »

7.5 out of 10

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3145 on: December 15, 2023, 01:10:54 PM »
So these jobs and the low unemployment report that goes along with them don't count?  Why change the rules now?  The jobs weren't there and now they are.  Nuff said.  Send your thanks directly to Joe.
I mean, you do have to admire the wingnuts and their use of manipulative language. Diminishing the results and thereby ensuring no credit is accrued to Biden by dismissively calling the jobs merely recovered? Strong work.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3146 on: December 15, 2023, 04:00:08 PM »

where did i say "don't count"??

also, please take into account food and energy prices in inflation if ya'll want to be open and honest

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3147 on: December 15, 2023, 04:39:19 PM »

also, please take into account food and energy prices in inflation if ya'll want to be open and honest

2.5 out of 10

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3148 on: December 15, 2023, 05:40:04 PM »

Sure, let's have a calm discussion about the economy and investing.

Food prices have stabilized. Energy prices have been coming down just about all year.

There was serious inflation, mostly caused by stimulus that each of the last two presidents/Congresses passed in response to the pandemic, but also because the current president/previous Congress pushed through an infrastructure bill that each of the previous three presidents promised but failed to deliver.

Face it ... if your favorite president were in office right now, with these exact financial numbers, you'd be singing hymns to how strong, resilient, robust and growing this economy is.

To be fair, there were years where the economy was good under your hero, and his detractors pooh-poohed it. Because politics.

I know people who didn't invest for 5+ years after Obama was elected because they were convinced he would somehow hurt the market. I also know people who thought the market was gonna tank after your hero was elected and they sold bigly.

All of them failed to take advantage of one of the great bull runs ever ... and all because they let their emotions and political leanings affect their investments.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #3149 on: December 15, 2023, 06:12:33 PM »

Okay, looks like we agree that Joe is kicking ass on the jobs front. Thank you for clarifying your position. Finally you give the guy some credit.