[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 298547 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #3100 on: December 12, 2023, 01:45:01 PM »
Y'all are talking numbers while 4ever is talking about his feelings, that's why there's a disconnect

Pox Americana, personified.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3101 on: December 12, 2023, 02:14:13 PM »
From Seeking Alpha, here is some inflation-related info that might actually be of use to some investors:

The Consumer Price Index report for November indicated a 3.1% year-over-year increase, compared with the +3.2% expected by economists and the +3.2% pace seen in October.

The closely-watched food category was up 2.9% year-over-year, with food away from home up 5.3% during the month and food at home up just 1.7%. The pace of inflation for food at home is now below the Federal Reserve's overall target rate of 2%.

Categories showing moderating or declining year-over-year inflation included cereal (+2.0%), pork (-0.5%), ham (-0.8%), breakfast sausage (-1.8%), poultry (+1.0%), fish/seafood (-2.5%), eggs (-22.3%), milk (-2.4%), lettuce (-10.2%), and coffee (-0.1%). Those marks could be of interest to a wide range of food companies such as Tyson Foods (TSN), Hormel (HRL), Oatly (OTLY), Kroger (KR), J.M. Smucker (SJM), and Cal-Maine Foods (CALM). Categories with prices holding up, included carbonated drinks (+3.6%) and candy/chewing gum (+6.2%) in an indication that companies such as PepsiCo (PEP), Coca-Cola (KO), Hershey (HSY), Mondelez International (MDLZ), and Celsius Holdings (CELH) still have some pricing power.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #3102 on: December 12, 2023, 03:44:34 PM »
Not to mention it got the boomers/fox news crowd all riled up.

There were posts about the shoplifting/crime epidemic by our resident dentists at the time the original articles were coming out

I have been away from here for 5 years, nothing much has changed.   Interesting how my ignore list remains functional.  The world has changed, but some people are still in their silo.

My respite  was wonderful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3103 on: December 12, 2023, 04:00:14 PM »
I have been away from here for 5 years, nothing much has changed.   Interesting how my ignore list remains functional.  The world has changed, but some people are still in their silo.

My respite  was wonderful.

You last posted in 2021
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3104 on: December 12, 2023, 05:10:46 PM »

You last posted in 2021

Each Wojo year is 7 Scoop years

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #3105 on: December 12, 2023, 07:28:02 PM »

You last posted in 2021

I thought it was 4-5 years to judge

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3106 on: December 13, 2023, 08:13:31 AM »
Rate raise day - Will JPow agree with 4ever that inflation is out of control and we need to raise rates again? Will he stay the course of flat rates like he's expected to? Will he say that 3% inflation and <4% unemployment isn't good enough so we have to start cutting rates to see how much we can overheat the economy? Stay tuned to this week's episode of.... “JPow's Money Printer (used to) Go Brrr”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3107 on: December 13, 2023, 08:43:53 AM »
Here's an interesting chart from Yahoo Finance showing that the market has tended to do best during rate pauses, not during rate-cut cycles ...

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3108 on: December 13, 2023, 02:17:35 PM »
Someone want to let 4elders know that slight rises for inflation are how the system is designed and YOY is expected at 2%-3%.

If he doesn't know this, he should probably shut up and drill.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3109 on: December 13, 2023, 02:22:10 PM »
Someone want to let 4elders know that slight rises for inflation are how the system is designed and YOY is expected at 2%-3%.

If he doesn't know this, he should probably shut up and drill.

I've talked to a few older conservatives that have had a lot of their money pulled out of the market for this entire bull run because they're waiting for some market crash because of the 'weak economy'. Certain news outlets are going to ruin the retirement of quite a few people. Hopefully the folks here have their money managed by someone that's emotionally stable.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 02:24:51 PM by Skatastrophy »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3110 on: December 13, 2023, 03:57:57 PM »
I've talked to a few older conservatives that have had a lot of their money pulled out of the market for this entire bull run because they're waiting for some market crash because of the 'weak economy'. Certain news outlets are going to ruin the retirement of quite a few people. Hopefully the folks here have their money managed by someone that's emotionally stable.

People who try to time the market are always fools.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #3111 on: December 13, 2023, 04:50:14 PM »
Maybe the guy that told us AAPL has peaked can chime in and tell us what is next for this market.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3112 on: December 13, 2023, 05:37:47 PM »
Or that we would all be drivingTeslas by now.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3113 on: December 13, 2023, 05:40:31 PM »
Maybe the guy that told us AAPL has peaked can chime in and tell us what is next for this market.
Well, according to Douchey's go-to source, Zero Hedge, the market is up because the guy Trumpie appointed is in the bag for Biden.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3114 on: December 13, 2023, 05:44:51 PM »
Skatastrophy

I was out of the market in 2022 and only began nibbling back in late spring. Roughly 75% in since July and definitely missed out more than I should have. My gut tells me I cost myself a bit and learned a lesson on trying to outsmart the market.

I won’t give my thoughts on the economy(again) but very happy for anyone that had a great 2023 in the market. Fingers crossed the trend is everyone’s friend.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3115 on: December 13, 2023, 05:53:07 PM »
Skatastrophy

I was out of the market in 2022 and only began nibbling back in late spring. Roughly 75% in since July and definitely missed out more than I should have. My gut tells me I cost myself a bit and learned a lesson on trying to outsmart the market.

I won’t give my thoughts on the economy(again) but very happy for anyone that had a great 2023 in the market. Fingers crossed the trend is everyone’s friend.

Man that's big of you to admit. My non-ironic suggestion for anyone that has ever thought about taking their money out of the market for any reason: Pay a fiduciary advisor to manage your money. There is no good reason to exit the market, and it's okay to admit that your emotions get the better of you. How could they not, it's your entire life savings at risk.

I poke fun and maybe I shouldn't. This stuff is life or death in our later years.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3116 on: December 13, 2023, 06:51:17 PM »
Skatastrophy

I fully understand every word in your post and do not disagree. Again, I won’t get into my feelings on the economy as whole, but I 100% went with my core belief. I was right in 2022 and hurt myself in 2023.

Again, I do not disagree with anything you said and very sound advice. Full disclosure, my wife was 100% in the market the whole time and that is part of my reason for rolling the dice last year.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3117 on: December 14, 2023, 10:22:17 AM »
Skatastrophy

I fully understand every word in your post and do not disagree. Again, I won’t get into my feelings on the economy as whole, but I 100% went with my core belief. I was right in 2022 and hurt myself in 2023.

Again, I do not disagree with anything you said and very sound advice. Full disclosure, my wife was 100% in the market the whole time and that is part of my reason for rolling the dice last year.

Timing the market isn't about knowing when to sell. It's about knowing the right time to sell and then the right time to buy again. That's why buy and hold is so powerful for us laymen.

Hopefully you've learned to keep your politics hobby away from your retirement. We've got low inflation, low unemployment, and high GDP growth. If you don't like this economy I don't know what to tell ya.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3118 on: December 14, 2023, 11:01:19 AM »
Skatastrophy

You might have me mistaken for 82. I have zero interest in politics and wish my interest could go lower. I have learned that my belief on the economy does not make it reality. The fact that I cannot believe how the vast majority of American's can afford housing, car payments, student loans, food and cost of raising a family really is just an opinion and the economic reports strongly indicate I am wrong.

Again, if you thought I risked losing on the market due to politics, you missed the target by a very wide margin. Thanks for the sound advice of keeping politics out of my retirement planning. I will 100% continue to follow that advice.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3119 on: December 14, 2023, 12:18:00 PM »
Skatastrophy

You might have me mistaken for 82. I have zero interest in politics and wish my interest could go lower. I have learned that my belief on the economy does not make it reality. The fact that I cannot believe how the vast majority of American's can afford housing, car payments, student loans, food and cost of raising a family really is just an opinion and the economic reports strongly indicate I am wrong.

Again, if you thought I risked losing on the market due to politics, you missed the target by a very wide margin. Thanks for the sound advice of keeping politics out of my retirement planning. I will 100% continue to follow that advice.

Rebuff accepted, carry on :)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3120 on: December 14, 2023, 12:39:42 PM »
Skatastrophy

Bidenomics at its best, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #3121 on: December 14, 2023, 01:01:38 PM »
Absolutely!!!  Keep it rollin, Joe!!!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3122 on: December 14, 2023, 01:11:02 PM »
Bidenomics at its best, hey?

You didn't read the part where he said he was wrong?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3123 on: December 14, 2023, 01:32:30 PM »
Nah, didn't miss it. Its fools gold. Folks can't really afford it, they just think they can, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3124 on: December 14, 2023, 01:55:04 PM »
Skatastrophy

Based on the fact that 2/3 of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck and a majority would be unable to afford a $1000 emergency, I think you're correct.

feedback