[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Redshirt Markus?  (Read 17963 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Redshirt Markus?
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2019, 09:06:26 AM »
Come on. There are some sound and rational arguments to increase compensation and/or out right pay players but to suggest these players are some sort of abused circus animals is laughable. Your better than that.

99% of current or past college football players would never trade places with any 'regular' student and for very good reasons.

99% of current or past college football players wouldn't have been admitted to their universities without football
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2019, 09:09:51 AM »
99% of current or past college football players wouldn't have been admitted to their universities without football
source?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2019, 09:12:12 AM »
Lay off the weed, man.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2019, 09:22:53 AM »
source?
Obviously not 99%, but its a rather substantial % for sure.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2019, 09:36:57 AM »
source?

99% is high, but the number is large.  Take it also from many of our own former players of the past that have said without hoops, they never would have gone or been accepted to college.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2019, 09:39:14 AM »

Wow.  Wonderful evidence there.  A sh*tty football program fired its sh*tty coach.  Stop the presses!

We already know your stance.  You don't like anything that gives student athletes options and you don't like change.  IOW, if you think its silly, it must be a good idea.

Incorrect.  I like some things that give student athletes options, but think the balance of competition and the investment and risk schools take on them should not be thrown out the door and ignored.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2019, 02:55:19 PM »
Incorrect.  I like some things that give student athletes options, but think the balance of competition and the investment and risk schools take on them should not be thrown out the door and ignored.

Great great grandpa Chico’s thought Jim Crow laws were the unintended consequences of the silly Emancipation Proclamation.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2019, 03:58:45 PM »
Sometimes, yes, sometimes no.   An employee can do that, student athletes are not employees.  Huge difference.

Coaches look out for themselves. Players look out for themselves. No difference. Except the coach is paid zillions of dollars and has a fraud "buyout clause" in his contract.

I am glad to hear that you agree 100% with everything that courts have decided, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2019, 04:20:05 PM »

Great great grandpa Chico’s thought Jim Crow laws were the unintended consequences of the silly Emancipation Proclamation.

LOL.  How spectacularly wrong you are...great great grandpa Chicos was living in Europe.  Way to bring in politics.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »
Coaches look out for themselves. Players look out for themselves. No difference. Except the coach is paid zillions of dollars and has a fraud "buyout clause" in his contract.

I am glad to hear that you agree 100% with everything that courts have decided, though.

Zillions of dollars?  Most D1 coaches aren’t paid a million dollars, let alone a zillion (whatever that is).  Hyperbole again. 

I don’t agree with everything the courts say, neither do you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2019, 06:17:51 PM »
Zillions of dollars?  Most D1 coaches aren’t paid a million dollars, let alone a zillion (whatever that is).  Hyperbole again. 

I don’t agree with everything the courts say, neither do you.

"zillions" is an informal way to say "lots of money." Which you knew.

I'm glad you disagree with a court's ridiculous opinion that college athletes aren't employees.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2019, 06:57:40 PM »
"zillions" is an informal way to say "lots of money." Which you knew.

I'm glad you disagree with a court's ridiculous opinion that college athletes aren't employees.

No, I actually don't agree with you.  They aren't employees.  Period.  For any number of reasons they are not employees as much as you would like them to be, and then you would like them to be the Union type, too....cuz of course you would.  Give an inch, take 20 miles...nope, not employees, not close to employees, courts got that right. The most liberal circuit court in the nation, the 9th circuit, affirmed the decision that the lower court made to dismiss the case in August of this year...they are not employees. This after the original case was filed in San Francisco in the hopes of getting a sympathetic judge...the case was dismissed there originally and appealed to the 9th. Maybe they'll appeal to the SCOTUS, where they will lose again.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »

they b teechin dat at StN bro?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2019, 09:50:12 PM »
Obviously not 99%, but its a rather substantial % for sure.
1. Just curious if there is actual data, and
2. The number could not be anywhere 99, since Madison has such a high standard for admission, that there athletes would make up nearly 1% by themselves.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2019, 07:41:52 AM »
No, I actually don't agree with you.  They aren't employees.  Period.  For any number of reasons they are not employees as much as you would like them to be, and then you would like them to be the Union type, too....cuz of course you would.  Give an inch, take 20 miles...nope, not employees, not close to employees, courts got that right. The most liberal circuit court in the nation, the 9th circuit, affirmed the decision that the lower court made to dismiss the case in August of this year...they are not employees. This after the original case was filed in San Francisco in the hopes of getting a sympathetic judge...the case was dismissed there originally and appealed to the 9th. Maybe they'll appeal to the SCOTUS, where they will lose again.

Employees in everything but name. And salary. Thanks for agreeing with me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2019, 07:42:38 AM »
The Lens.

Not sure if this is what you envisioned when you started this fun thread, but congrats again.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2019, 08:48:10 AM »
2. The number could not be anywhere 99, since Madison has such a high standard for admission, that there athletes would make up nearly 1% by themselves.
Thank God Harvard is a somewhat decent safety school for UW-Madison student athletes or they would have to go to Yale if they didn't get accepted.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2019, 08:54:00 AM »
Obviously, there is no actual data.  As for Madison, lol.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2019, 01:55:39 PM »
While we're talking about things that will never happen, how about bringing back football? Can we put a stadium on the BC lot now that it's clear?

Why is Jeff Bezos wasting one billion a year on a private space program when he could build his own Division I football champ at Marquette for half that?

I mean who's on the Moon to give him a trophy?

AND he could use half of the other half to make St. Thomas Big East basketball champs within ten years!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:58:39 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2019, 02:00:45 PM »
The Lens.

Not sure if this is what you envisioned when you started this fun thread, but congrats again.

This is an amazing, amazing place.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2019, 02:07:12 PM »
Sometimes, yes, sometimes no.   An employee can do that, student athletes are not employees.  Huge difference.

No not employees, just the people that generate all the income.  Everytime you defend the NCAA revenue sports model, the clearer the hypocrisy becomes to me.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2019, 08:35:18 AM »
Employees in everything but name. And salary. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Sorry you don’t like what multiple courts have ruled.  Their reasoning very solid, I’d invite you to read it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2019, 08:37:55 AM »
No not employees, just the people that generate all the income.  Everytime you defend the NCAA revenue sports model, the clearer the hypocrisy becomes to me.

Really...generate all the revenue...all of it.  LOL.   And I’m sorry, do these student athletes receive benefits as well? 

Let me know about all the revenue the track, soccer, fencing, volleyball, lacrosse, etc, etc, etc teams are generating while you are at it...so you can expose the “hypocrisy” even more.  LOL

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2019, 09:49:31 AM »
Hey, this thread is staying on topic!
Until chicos came and pooped in the thread, as usual.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
BUMP
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart