Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Redshirt Markus?  (Read 17966 times)

The Lens

• All American
Redshirt Markus?
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:47:01 AM »
A big trend in college football is redshirting players after game 4 if your season is going off the rails.

I think we should look to redshirt Markus if we don't sweep Purdue and Davidson.   One thing to consider, he is young for his class and a extra year of development might be good for his game. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Redshirt Markus?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 10:50:22 AM »
A big trend in college football is redshirting players after game 4 if your season is going off the rails.

I think we should look to redshirt Markus if we don't sweep Purdue and Davidson.   One thing to consider, he is young for his class and a extra year of development might be good for his game.

I would first check with the ortho doctor to see how much more height there is in his growth plates. He might be 6’7” after a year.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »
Wut?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »
I would first check with the ortho doctor to see how much more height there is in his growth plates. He might be 6’7” after a year.

A shoot-first point forward?  SIGN. ME. UP. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 10:55:41 AM »
A shoot-first point forward?  SIGN. ME. UP.

Of course, though, he would be graduate transfer eligible then and MSU would pick him up.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 10:57:40 AM »

From the thousands of stupid post on this site over the years, this one may take the cake.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 10:58:04 AM »
Shouldn't that be in teal?

You can't be serious

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 10:58:30 AM »
Herd hee mae transfer ta MSU or UVA just ta fook wit da old kinfolk, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 10:59:36 AM »
Has anyone actually followed the dumpster fire that it is Houston Cougar Football this year (where the idea of redshirting skilled players to delay them a year came from)?  Absolute disaster.  One of their players went on an epic Twitter rant against their coaching staff for the hypocrisy of preaching commitment and dedication to be successful, only to now start tanking the season in order to preserve everyone's status for next year.  Pretty damning stuff. 

I would be ashamed to be a fan and an alum of a school program that would do that (throw in the towel on an entire season) - especially after they just spend like $4 million annually on a new head coach.  Hilariously, Houston's President also went on record last year that the school will fire coaches for going 8-4.  I wonder what they do to coaches that finish 1-11? 

HUGE NO to redshirting seniors if the team encounters early season losses.  Fight until the end with what you have. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 11:00:19 AM »
Drinking in the morning on a Friday? Respect
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 11:02:32 AM »
From the thousands of stupid post on this site over the years, this one may take the cake.

Sandy,
The Teal Train has left the station, bro.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 11:04:53 AM »
There was a question as to whether Markus would be back for his senior year. Do you honestly and realistically think he'd agree to redshirt his senior season and delay his ultimate goal of M2N?  That's just kooky talk.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 11:05:27 AM »
Has anyone actually followed the dumpster fire that it is Houston Cougar Football this year (where the idea of redshirting skilled players to delay them a year came from)?  Absolute disaster.  One of their players went on an epic Twitter rant against their coaching staff for the hypocrisy of preaching commitment and dedication to be successful, only to now start tanking the season in order to preserve everyone's status for next year.  Pretty damning stuff. 

I would be ashamed to be a fan and an alum of a school program that would do that (throw in the towel on an entire season) - especially after they just spend like $4 million annually on a new head coach.  Hilariously, Houston's President also went on record last year that the school will fire coaches for going 8-4.  I wonder what they do to coaches that finish 1-11? 

HUGE NO to redshirting seniors if the team encounters early season losses.  Fight until the end with what you have.

In college basketball I wouldn't, unless the star senior actually had an injury and could make a comeback towards the end of the year but the only way to make the NCAA Tournament at that point would be the win a conference tournament.  But in college football when literally a single loss takes you out of contention for an NCAA title unless your school name is Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State?  Sure, I'd definitely redshirt star players and see them come back the following season, and as a fan I'd be thrilled with that decision.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 11:06:59 AM »
Of course, though, he would be graduate transfer eligible then and MSU would pick him up.

OR WORSE...

Coach K retires, Wojo takes the Duke job and Markus leads Duke to the National Championship.

SCRATCH THE IDEA
DELETE THE POST
ERASE
ERASE
ERASE

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 11:20:04 AM »
Choo, choo.  Lens is day drinking in the bar car.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »
In college basketball I wouldn't, unless the star senior actually had an injury and could make a comeback towards the end of the year but the only way to make the NCAA Tournament at that point would be the win a conference tournament.  But in college football when literally a single loss takes you out of contention for an NCAA title unless your school name is Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State?  Sure, I'd definitely redshirt star players and see them come back the following season, and as a fan I'd be thrilled with that decision.

I'd argue that so much more could go wrong than go right in that scenario.

Other schools can easily begin to use that as a negative recruiting tool "If you lose a game, you will be benched for an entire year, delaying opportunity to go to the pros, increasing odds of players potentially getting injured, etc."  Additionally, what's to stop a redshirted player from just transferring to become immediately eligible at another school?  At a place like Houston, which is a glorifed G5 program, they aren't playing for a CFP spot annually.  Their ceiling is a NY6 bid, and in a league where SMU is now up, Memphis remains up and UCF continues to recruit Florida well, schools like Houston can't afford to "take a year off" in hopes it will be better next year - especially since Houston ponied up big money to hire Hologorsen from WVU.  Not a good look at all. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2019, 11:25:28 AM »
Imagine if Marcus does take the shirt.  Then we miss the NCAA's, amd wojo is canned. 

Having a super senior like Marcus would be a very attractive piece to draw in a new coach.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 11:36:39 AM »
Well done, Lens.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 11:39:25 AM »
Choo, choo.  Lens is day drinking in the bar car.

Shabby looking train. The F9 locomotive set is older than I am and the colors show the age of the train itself.

Might be worse than Amtrak -- if that's possible.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »
Bet Sam would really regret his decision, huh?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 11:45:38 AM »
Imagine if Marcus does take the shirt.  Then we miss the NCAA's, amd wojo is canned. 

Having a super senior like Marcus would be a very attractive piece to draw in a new coach.

Forget Wojo replacing K

K REPLACES WOJO!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 12:18:42 PM »
Sandy may have the post that takes the cake. Explains a great deal about him.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 12:29:14 PM »

College football has diff redshirt rules. In CBB, if you play a second of any game, you cannot redshirt.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »
College football has diff redshirt rules. In CBB, if you play a second of any game, you cannot redshirt.

Well, apparently we'd be planning -- in advance -- Markus's season-ending injury that would allow him to come back for a fifth year.   ::)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 01:09:13 PM »

I'm sure that Lens was referring to losses in a controlled scrimmage with another school and an exhibition assuring that MU was eliminated from the NCAA Tourney prior to the start of the season.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.