[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Redshirt Markus?  (Read 17972 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Redshirt Markus?
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 01:25:01 PM »
I'm sure that Lens was referring to losses in a controlled scrimmage with another school and an exhibition assuring that MU was eliminated from the NCAA Tourney prior to the start of the season.

Marquette is only 8-2 against St. Norbies all time.  Watch-out.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 01:27:54 PM »
While we're talking about things that will never happen, how about bringing back football? Can we put a stadium on the BC lot now that it's clear?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2019, 01:31:36 PM »
While we're talking about things that will never happen, how about bringing back football? Can we put a stadium on the BC lot now that it's clear?

MU needs to wait until Aaron Rogers retires so they can hire him to coach.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 01:32:32 PM »
Shabby looking train. The F9 locomotive set is older than I am and the colors show the age of the train itself.

Might be worse than Amtrak -- if that's possible.

Scoop cannot afford nice things...but there is an Arby’s pop-up on-board to compensate.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2019, 01:57:06 PM »
A big trend in college football is redshirting players after game 4 if your season is going off the rails.

I think we should look to redshirt Markus if we don't sweep Purdue and Davidson.   One thing to consider, he is young for his class and a extra year of development might be good for his game.

there are different rules in college football. In every other sport to get a medical hardship, one must have medical documentation of a season ending injury. That includes repeated check-ins with doctors and rehab throughout the year. Unless that happens I doubt one of our team doctors would falsify a diagnosis and medical records and subject themselves to sanctions or even losing their licenses.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:58:54 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2019, 02:17:12 PM »
I just read the original post here. It is truly one of the dumbest things I have ever seen on Scoop.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2019, 02:20:40 PM »
If we lose to Purdue let's just redshirt everyone.  They can get a full year of practice.  In t-shirts.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2019, 02:28:20 PM »
If we lose to Purdue let's just redshirt everyone.  They can get a full year of practice.  In t-shirts.

That's Iowa, not Purdue.  Although if we're repeating history, i'd gladly take a L against Purdue if it means that we win the Orlando tourney.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2019, 02:31:26 PM »
Epic

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2019, 03:06:27 PM »
Herd hee mae transfer ta MSU or UVA just ta fook wit da old kinfolk, hey?

Funyest post o da yer.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »
Sandy,
The Teal Train has left the station, bro.

runah oop.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2019, 03:08:52 PM »
Choo, choo.  Lens is day drinking in the bar car.

How long have you been saving this one for?

Lens, you should be honored.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2019, 03:12:26 PM »
Honored?  It has an eagle on it, should be a Warrior.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2019, 03:55:04 PM »
I think we should redshirt everyone except Ed, Sacar, Tommy Gardiner and a couple of walk-ons, and just see how it plays out.

I’d redshirt Ed and Sacar too and replace ‘em with a couple more walk-ons, but I don’t think they’d be eligible absent an injury waiver.

Either way, we’d really be loaded for ‘20-‘21.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2019, 04:28:07 PM »
There was a question as to whether Markus would be back for his senior year. Do you honestly and realistically think he'd agree to redshirt his senior season and delay his ultimate goal of M2N?  That's just kooky talk.

Anyone who thought Markus wasn't coming back for his senior year was smoking more weed then this threads op.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2019, 05:02:39 PM »
Hey, this thread is staying on topic!
Goal is National Championship

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2019, 05:10:27 PM »
Has anyone actually followed the dumpster fire that it is Houston Cougar Football this year (where the idea of redshirting skilled players to delay them a year came from)?  Absolute disaster.  One of their players went on an epic Twitter rant against their coaching staff for the hypocrisy of preaching commitment and dedication to be successful, only to now start tanking the season in order to preserve everyone's status for next year.  Pretty damning stuff. 

I would be ashamed to be a fan and an alum of a school program that would do that (throw in the towel on an entire season) - especially after they just spend like $4 million annually on a new head coach.  Hilariously, Houston's President also went on record last year that the school will fire coaches for going 8-4.  I wonder what they do to coaches that finish 1-11? 

HUGE NO to redshirting seniors if the team encounters early season losses.  Fight until the end with what you have.

You mean unintended consequences happen to these changes in rules?

I am Stunned that such things would happen.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2019, 05:19:44 PM »
Has anyone actually followed the dumpster fire that it is Houston Cougar Football this year (where the idea of redshirting skilled players to delay them a year came from)?  Absolute disaster.  One of their players went on an epic Twitter rant against their coaching staff for the hypocrisy of preaching commitment and dedication to be successful, only to now start tanking the season in order to preserve everyone's status for next year.  Pretty damning stuff. 

I would be ashamed to be a fan and an alum of a school program that would do that (throw in the towel on an entire season) - especially after they just spend like $4 million annually on a new head coach.  Hilariously, Houston's President also went on record last year that the school will fire coaches for going 8-4.  I wonder what they do to coaches that finish 1-11? 

HUGE NO to redshirting seniors if the team encounters early season losses.  Fight until the end with what you have. 

As others have pointed out, this is only a rule for football.  No other sports use the rule.  And there are a lot of positive benefits to the rule.  If a player gets injured, they don't feel like they have to rush back because their eligibility is slipping away.  It gives others a taste of college football against a crappy team for the same reason.

Holgerson is abusing the rule.  But who is it harming exactly?  Not the players, who will get another year.  And if they graduate they may get that opportunity at another school.  He certainly is harming himself and his reputation, but if he has the backing of his athletic director, I think that's fine too. 

And of course the fans.  But of course the whole theory is that they are going to lose now for the sake of winning later.  Will that happen?  Who knows.  Under previous rules, he could have redshirted these guys for the entire season.  And that would have been just as controversial IMO.

So in the end, I just don't see what the problem is.  The person who is most likely to be harmed, is the guy whose a$$ is on the line.  The head coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2019, 05:31:47 PM »
Hey, this thread is staying on topic!

Red Delicious apples.

Discuss....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2019, 10:18:55 PM »

As others have pointed out, this is only a rule for football.  No other sports use the rule.  And there are a lot of positive benefits to the rule.  If a player gets injured, they don't feel like they have to rush back because their eligibility is slipping away.  It gives others a taste of college football against a crappy team for the same reason.

Holgerson is abusing the rule.  But who is it harming exactly?  Not the players, who will get another year.  And if they graduate they may get that opportunity at another school.  He certainly is harming himself and his reputation, but if he has the backing of his athletic director, I think that's fine too. 

And of course the fans.  But of course the whole theory is that they are going to lose now for the sake of winning later.  Will that happen?  Who knows.  Under previous rules, he could have redshirted these guys for the entire season.  And that would have been just as controversial IMO.

So in the end, I just don't see what the problem is.  The person who is most likely to be harmed, is the guy whose a$$ is on the line.  The head coach.

Happening at Rutgers right now.  Players opting to sit, leaving coach screwed.

Unintended consequences. Bizarre, silly rule.  4 games.  WTF.  Ridiculous.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2019, 10:30:19 PM »
Players opting to sit, leaving coach screwed.

Yeah! In the good old days, it was the coach who would quit, leaving the program screwed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2019, 12:45:46 AM »
Yeah! In the good old days, it was the coach who would quit, leaving the program screwed.

Sometimes, yes, sometimes no.   An employee can do that, student athletes are not employees.  Huge difference.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2019, 07:31:09 AM »
Happening at Rutgers right now.  Players opting to sit, leaving coach screwed.

Unintended consequences. Bizarre, silly rule.  4 games.  WTF.  Ridiculous.

Wow.  Wonderful evidence there.  A sh*tty football program fired its sh*tty coach.  Stop the presses!

We already know your stance.  You don't like anything that gives student athletes options and you don't like change.  IOW, if you think its silly, it must be a good idea.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2019, 08:09:39 AM »
Good news for those kids redshirting at Houston and Rutger is, they still get an education to go along with crippling long-term pain and injuries and CTE.  Thankfully, they don’t get paid and retain amateur status to entertain fans
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2019, 08:56:16 AM »
Good news for those kids redshirting at Houston and Rutger is, they still get an education to go along with crippling long-term pain and injuries and CTE.  Thankfully, they don’t get paid and retain amateur status to entertain fans
Come on. There are some sound and rational arguments to increase compensation and/or out right pay players but to suggest these players are some sort of abused circus animals is laughable. Your better than that.

99% of current or past college football players would never trade places with any 'regular' student and for very good reasons.