[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 120459 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: 2019-20 MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
Lost at home to Northwestern in OT.  We didn’t score the last 2:37 of regulation.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 10:42:10 PM »
Lost at home to Northwestern in OT.  We didn’t score the last 2:37 of regulation.

They blew a lot of chances to put this one away in regulation.  This was one they really should have won but didn't execute well enough to do so.  Selena Lott was in sweats today and I heard Duffy said she is day to day with an unspecified injury.  Having Lott available would have really helped them tonight. 

They have a tough couple games coming up - at UWGB a team they always have trouble against and home to 10th ranked Mississippi State on 11/25.  After that game on 11/25, they aren't home again until December 21st.

On another note, is Freeway still around these days?  I thought I might have seen him at the game tonight but can't recall the last time I saw him and wasn't sure if it was really him or not...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 08:40:15 AM »
Girl I used to coach (Niyah Lutz, now a woman obviously) had 7 points, 5 rebs for Wofford against Wisconsin last week.

Another (D'Shara Booker) had 2 points, 4 rebs for Austin Peay against Illinois. Earlier this season, she had games of 9 rebs and 11 rebs.

Always fun to see kids you know move up in their athletic pursuits.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 08:45:10 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2019, 01:15:15 PM »
Girl I used to coach (Niyah Lutz, now a woman obviously) had 7 points, 5 rebs for Wofford against Wisconsin last week.

Another (D'Shara Booker) had 2 points, 4 rebs for Austin Peay against Illinois. Earlier this season, she had games of 9 rebs and 11 rebs.

Always fun to see kids you know move up in their athletic pursuits.

Why aren’t you funneling those recruits to MU like Penny at Memphis?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 06:45:29 PM »
Selena Lott was back starting again tonight after missing the Northwestern game with an injury.  That was great to see as she's their best player.  MU hit a season high 11 3-pointers and picked up a rare win in Green Bay - 60-47.  This was the first time since 2007 that they've won in Green Bay.  UWGB doesn't look to be as strong as they've been the last few years but it's still nice to see MU pick up the road win.

The bench was a little shorter tonight with Claire Kaifes and Camyrn Taylor not getting in at all (Destiny Strother didn't play either but she hasn't played much at all so far this season).  All the starters played 30+ minutes with the 3 coming off the bench getting 5, 7 and 11 minutes. 

Tough home game coming up Monday with number 10 Mississippi State coming to the Al.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:55:57 PM by Marquette Fan »

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2019, 10:11:11 AM »
Tough home game coming up Monday with number 10 Mississippi State coming to the Al.

Mississippi State has scored over 122 points their last two games. Do you think the Marquette women can keep it close or will this be a 40 point drubbing?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2019, 12:33:36 PM »
Mississippi State has scored over 122 points their last two games. Do you think the Marquette women can keep it close or will this be a 40 point drubbing?

I don’t think this will be close at all - 40 point drubbing is much more likely. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »
Congratulations to Allazia Blockton who is the 2019 recipient of the 73rd Robert L. and William P. McCahill Award - the highest honor a Marquette student athlete can receive.

Blockton is the 7th Women's Basketball player to win the award and the first since her former coach Carolyn Kieger shared the honor with Steve Novak in 2006.

https://gomarquette.com/news/2019/11/21/womens-basketball-allazia-blockton-earns-marquettes-73rd-mccahill-award.aspx

Also, 10 years ago today Angel Robinson became the first player in MU Women's Bball history to record a triple-double.  As I recall, Hiedeman did it once during her career - I think it's only been done those two times so far.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2019, 10:13:22 PM »
Why aren’t you funneling those recruits to MU like Penny at Memphis?

I left my spare $11K in the pocket of my other pants.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 08:37:31 PM »
I don’t think this will be close at all - 40 point drubbing is much more likely.

Or maybe not :).  Marquette leads 59-56 with 8:04 to go in the game.  Go Marquette!!!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2019, 08:58:26 PM »
Marquette falls short in their upset bid losing to #10 Mississippi State 74-68.  MU had 28 turnovers - you're not going to win a lot of games with that incredibly high amount of turnovers.

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 09:40:21 AM »
Marquette falls short in their upset bid losing to #10 Mississippi State 74-68.  MU had 28 turnovers - you're not going to win a lot of games with that incredibly high amount of turnovers.

Watching the game Mississippi State fronted on the inbound passes after a made basket and it gave Marquette fits. Seemed like half the turnovers resulted from throwing the ball out of bounds while trying to in bound it.

Still a great effort and they held Mississippi State to their lowest point total of the season. Perhaps they have a shot at competing for a Big East title?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2019, 05:45:19 AM »
Watching the game Mississippi State fronted on the inbound passes after a made basket and it gave Marquette fits. Seemed like half the turnovers resulted from throwing the ball out of bounds while trying to in bound it.

Still a great effort and they held Mississippi State to their lowest point total of the season. Perhaps they have a shot at competing for a Big East title?

Yes I have a feeling they'll be practicing getting the ball inbound after that game.

They probably have a more likely chance of competing for the Big East title this year than finishing 9th as they were picked in the preseason Coaches poll.  And this is the last season anyone will really have a shot at competing for that title with UCONN rejoining next season.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2019, 07:21:07 AM »
Yes I have a feeling they'll be practicing getting the ball inbound after that game.

They probably have a more likely chance of competing for the Big East title this year than finishing 9th as they were picked in the preseason Coaches poll.  And this is the last season anyone will really have a shot at competing for that title with UCONN rejoining next season.

DePaul's gonna be sad since the reformation they've finished 1st every year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2019, 07:41:00 AM »
DePaul's gonna be sad since the reformation they've finished 1st every year.

Cough, cough...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2019, 09:10:06 AM »
Cough, cough...

My bad forgot they only won the conference tournament last year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2019, 07:53:13 AM »
Cough, cough...

It depends on if you're considering just regular season titles or championship titles or a combination.  DePaul has come in first by themselves or tied for first in the regular season every season since the 2013-14 season with the exception of 2018-19 when Marquette held the title by themselves.  DePaul then won the tournament title that year.  They've won 4 tournament titles, to one by St. John's (2016) and Marquette (2017).  That's a pretty good run as they won the tournament title the one year they didn't at least share the regular season title.

This picture was from the 2017 tournament when Marquette finished 3rd in the regular season and DePaul and Creighton tied for first.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2019, 08:08:44 AM »
Two wins over the weekend for MU over St. Mary's and Tulsa at the St. Mary's Thanksgiving Tournament.  The St. Mary's game was a 77-63 win and they escaped against Tulsa 61-60 after Tulsa missed 2 late FT's that could have won the game for them.  LVK and Selena Lott were named to the all tournament team. 

They have a 6-2 record with 3 games remaining in non-conference play.  I expect them to win at UWM and Belmont doesn't look super strong this year.  But the contest at South Dakota State should be tougher.   South Dakota State is similar to Marquette in that they lost a lot to graduation but they are still a good team and this young Marquette team hasn't played on the road much yet (twice with one neutral court game also).  The home game versus Belmont will be their first home contest in almost a month.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2019, 07:49:05 PM »
Not tying to be condescending, but is a road game (especially one to a program like South Dakota State) anywhere close to as big of a deal as it is in the mens game?  I know we gave Miss St all they could handle at home, and we probably would have been blown out on the road, but since crowds are almost always smaller, and generally less enthusiastic for the women, the "better" team seems to win more often than not, despite the venue.  Honest question.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2019, 08:17:50 PM »
Not tying to be condescending, but is a road game (especially one to a program like South Dakota State) anywhere close to as big of a deal as it is in the mens game?  I know we gave Miss St all they could handle at home, and we probably would have been blown out on the road, but since crowds are almost always smaller, and generally less enthusiastic for the women, the "better" team seems to win more often than not, despite the venue.  Honest question.

South Dakota State is a pretty good mid major program over the last 5 years or so.  Heck the BE is a mid-major in women's basketball also - much weaker than in Men's Basketball.  I thought they drew a little better attendance but two games I checked this year had attendance around 1500 - so similar to MU's.  My thoughts on the road being tougher is slightly different routine and the actual travel.  Before the tournament this weekend, they only had been to Green Bay for a road game - not exactly a far trip of course.  With there being so many frosh on the team, they aren't real used to the travel yet.

And I really don't even think of UW-Milwaukee as a road game although it does always surprise me how few MU fans are there for that contest considering how close it is.  Fun fact - this will be the third season in a row they play at UWM.  Marquette was supposed to host them just after the car drove into the Al last season so that game was moved to the Al.

And on another note since I'm talking about UWGB and UWM here, I'm disappointed that MU and UW aren't playing for the 2nd season in a row.  UW isn't playing UWGB either so the only state school they played this season was UWM.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2019, 06:53:31 AM »
Back in action today heading across town to UWM.  The game is at 4P CST and is on ESPN3 - link to watch online:  http://www.espn.com/watch?id=c341a604-8747-4319-9e7b-706c7b4ce352
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:41:22 PM by Marquette Fan »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2019, 09:16:01 PM »
Marquette perseveres and wins a close one on the road tonight - winning at South Dakota State 65-58.  SDSU doesn't have the greatest record but have some decent wins this season and it can be a tough place to play.  They move to 8-2 on the season with one very winnable non-conference game left vs. Belmont at home on Saturday.  That will be their first home game in almost a month - their last home game was on Nov. 25th vs. Mississippi State.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2019, 08:22:14 PM »
It was a super ugly game today and Marquette didn't play very well.  But the bottom line is they found a way to win - 53-51 over Belmont. 

They finish non-conference play 9-2 which is way better than I was expecting.  They have a tough 3 game road trip to open BE play - at pre-season top pick DePaul next Sunday 12/29 and then the toughest road trip in the BE the following weekend - at Creighton on a Friday night and at Providence Sunday afternoon (quick turnaround to travel so far).  Creighton has a pretty good RPI so far too.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2019, 12:51:05 PM »
The latest bracketology by ESPN's Charlie Creme has 3 BE teams making the NCAA Tournament - DePaul, Creighton and Marquette.  It has DePaul a 4 seed, Creighton an 8 seed and Marquette an 11 seed:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2019, 01:03:25 PM »
The latest bracketology by ESPN's Charlie Creme has 3 BE teams making the NCAA Tournament - DePaul, Creighton and Marquette.  It has DePaul a 4 seed, Creighton an 8 seed and Marquette an 11 seed:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

That would be a quick reload.

feedback