collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 135308 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #275 on: December 20, 2020, 09:29:39 PM »
Nice article about Selena Lott from her hometown:

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/All-In-column-Selena-Lott-reaching-new-heights-15817526.php

I wouldn't be opposed to having her around next season also :) -

“Since the NCAA gave us an extra year I might stay at Marquette and get my master’s (degree),” said Lott, who has a dual undergraduate major in criminal justice and psychology. She is eyeing a master’s degree in business or an MBA. “But it depends on how this year goes with COVID. Otherwise I’ll probably play overseas and go from there.”

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #276 on: December 25, 2020, 02:52:12 PM »
In other Women's Basketball news, the AP is reporting that Duke Women's Basketball is choosing to end its season early due to Covid:

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/43300151?__twitter_impression=true

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #277 on: December 25, 2020, 08:08:15 PM »
In other Women's Basketball news, the AP is reporting that Duke Women's Basketball is choosing to end its season early due to Covid:

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/43300151?__twitter_impression=true

Under heavy pressure by Coach K to set a precedent so he can call it quits when his team gets battered again  :D

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #278 on: December 25, 2020, 10:24:08 PM »
It appears that Duke's women's program has fallen off from relatively recent successes so not sure how much noise this will make. Can't rule out JWags theory.

Special Christmas shoutout to Marquette Fan. Always appreciate your posts on the MU women's program and the women's game in general. Keep them coming.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #279 on: December 26, 2020, 09:58:52 AM »
It appears that Duke's women's program has fallen off from relatively recent successes so not sure how much noise this will make. Can't rule out JWags theory.

Special Christmas shoutout to Marquette Fan. Always appreciate your posts on the MU women's program and the women's game in general. Keep them coming.

Duke had gone downhill the last few years under Joanne P. McCallie.  Kara Lawson was an interesting hire - think she's a brilliant basketball mind but didn't come in with much coaching experience.  It remains to be seen how she'll be as a Coach.  I found the announcement interesting because it's the first program to start the season and end it for Women's Basketball and it was a P5 program doing so.

Thanks - haven't posted much lately as there hasn't been much posting but still following the team closely of course :).

The team has started out BE play 3-0 but have had the good fortune of playing opponents that will likely end up at the bottom half of the league standings.  They continue to have way too many turnovers and you can't blame that all on youth - veteran players are having trouble with it too.  They easily beat Xavier on Tuesday but I found myself focusing on the 25 turnovers they had -better teams are going to take advantage of those turnovers.

One interesting thing from the Xavier game - Rose Nkumu played more minutes than usual - 10 total and Taylor Valladay didn't really play - she has 1 minute in the Box Score - Valladay had been playing a lot more heading into the game - not sure if she's hurt or not.  And speaking of injuries, Nirel Lougbo still hasn't played this season but appeared to be participating in a shootaround the night before the Xavier game in a video MU posted.  I'm hopeful she'll be able to play soon.

The Big East shuffled around the schedule a bit I think partly to get Marquette's scheduled 12/19 game at Seton Hall rescheduled (Seton Hall shut down for the 2nd time this season due to Covid right before that game) and now MU doesn't have to play UCONN back to back at least.  They have a longer break at Christmas time also - they were originally supposed to play UCONN at home on 12/30 and at UCONN on 1/2 but now don't play until 1/3 when they'll host DePaul.  MU release about the schedule changes:

https://gomarquette.com/news/2020/12/22/womens-basketball-muwbb-announces-schedule-adjustments.aspx

And finally - an alumni spotlight on one of my favorite players - Erika Davenport.  I don't think she got as much credit as she deserved getting overshadowed by Blockton and Hiedeman but I had said she was the key to the team her senior year.  I'll never forget her scream when she tore her ACL and her career ended in that Butler game :( - glad to see she's able to play in Europe now:

https://gomarquette.com/news/2020/12/23/general-alumni-spotlight-erika-davenport-2015-19.aspx

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #280 on: December 26, 2020, 11:02:26 AM »
I would be surprised if Kara Lawson didn't do well longer term at Duke. She was very well respected at the Boston Celtics and elsewhere.

This piece is a small example of her approach. It's good.

https://twitter.com/karalawson20/status/1336335988117786629?s=19

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 11:05:44 AM by shoothoops »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #281 on: December 29, 2020, 08:50:43 PM »
A few MU Women's Bball tidbits:

TV schedule announced for the rest of the BE season and MU has 7 televised games:
https://gomarquette.com/news/2020/12/29/womens-basketball-muwbb-tv-schedule-released-for-second-half-of-season.aspx

Interestingly the release says that UCONN at DePaul on January 31st will be the first Women's Basketball game broadcast on Fox.  Nice of the MU-DePaul game on Sunday to be at 1P so it will be over before the Packers game starts :).

An article about Selena Lott's WNBA potential (Lott is having a great season so far):

https://www.swishappeal.com/ncaa/2020/12/29/22199414/wnba-draft-2021-prospect-watch-selena-lott-marquette-golden-eagles-big-east

Frosh Liza Karlen (really enjoying watching her so far) was named to the Big East Honor Roll this week:
https://gomarquette.com/news/2020/12/28/womens-basketball-liza-karlen-named-to-big-east-weekly-honor-roll.aspx

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #282 on: December 30, 2020, 07:36:51 AM »
Selena Lott, a 5-foot-11 wing playing for the Marquette Golden Eagles, has the potential to be one of the first players from a mid-major program to be selected in the 2021 WNBA Draft.

?-(

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #283 on: December 30, 2020, 05:27:07 PM »
?-(

Actually, it's pretty much true. Average 2.7 bids per year (16 in 6). Never a seed better than a 5. Only one Sweet 16 team in 6 years. It's one of the better mid-majors, and UConn certainly ups the ante, but since realignment, the Big East isn't a major women's conference by any stretch of the imagination.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #284 on: December 30, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »
Actually, it's pretty much true. Average 2.7 bids per year (16 in 6). Never a seed better than a 5. Only one Sweet 16 team in 6 years. It's one of the better mid-majors, and UConn certainly ups the ante, but since realignment, the Big East isn't a major women's conference by any stretch of the imagination.

Yep I agree - the Big East in Women's Basketball is nowhere near a major conference and UCONN isn't going to help that out that much either.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #285 on: December 30, 2020, 06:03:03 PM »
Yep I agree - the Big East in Women's Basketball is nowhere near a major conference and UCONN isn't going to help that out that much either.

UConn will only help that if Marquette, DePaul, Creighton, St John's, and the rest of the women's programs improve. If the league can routinely become a 4-bid league instead of 2-3 (realistic since UConn is an annual lock) and start winning some games in March, it could change. Earning some 4-seeds instead of 5's (and thus getting home NCAA games) would be a big help in that regard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #286 on: December 30, 2020, 06:08:39 PM »
UConn will only help that if Marquette, DePaul, Creighton, St John's, and the rest of the women's programs improve. If the league can routinely become a 4-bid league instead of 2-3 (realistic since UConn is an annual lock) and start winning some games in March, it could change. Earning some 4-seeds instead of 5's (and thus getting home NCAA games) would be a big help in that regard.

Isn't Depaul already a really legit program every year?
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #287 on: December 30, 2020, 06:48:30 PM »
Isn't Depaul already a really legit program every year?

They're good, but not top of a high major league good. Usually a 5-8 seed & first weekend casualty. Never gone past the Sweet 16. They're the best program in the league, but not a threat for the Final Four. It'll be interesting to see what they are without Bruno, all their success has been with him and he's over 70 now.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #288 on: December 30, 2020, 07:29:10 PM »

Creighton has been strong but they had a rough start this year and St. John's is also having a hard time this year too.  I think it's a 3 bid league at most this year assuming there even is a tournament - UCONN and DePaul for sure and Marquette a good guess for a 3rd bid in my opinion.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2020, 07:44:04 PM »
Guessing the so-called Power 5 (Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12, Big 12 and ACC) rank in the top 5 every year. In 2019, the Big East Conference was 6th! Label it whatever you want. Major or not.

Can't seem to find, where has the Big East landed in other years since 2014?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:46:27 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #290 on: December 30, 2020, 08:05:35 PM »
Louisville Women are looking for a game. They haven't played in a while due to COVID-19 protocols. They haven't had any takers. Their coach if offering a gift to the opposing coach if they play.

For reference Louisville is ranked #2 and they defeated DePaul by 41 points earlier this season, 116-75.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #291 on: December 30, 2020, 08:09:49 PM »
Louisville Women are looking for a game. They haven't played in a while due to COVID-19 protocols. They haven't had any takers. Their coach if offering a gift to the opposing coach if they play.

For reference Louisville is ranked #2 and they defeated DePaul by 41 points earlier this season, 116-75.

They've lost quite a few games this year including one against UCONN - the game against DePaul replaced that one.  I've seen the Louisville coach Jeff Walz tweeting a few times looking for games.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #292 on: December 30, 2020, 10:08:33 PM »
Creighton has been strong but they had a rough start this year and St. John's is also having a hard time this year too.  I think it's a 3 bid league at most this year assuming there even is a tournament - UCONN and DePaul for sure and Marquette a good guess for a 3rd bid in my opinion.

Yeah, I mentioned them more on a recent historical basis than anything. Ultimately, it just comes down to non-UConn programs helping to carry the load if the league really wants to establish itself.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #293 on: December 31, 2020, 08:11:38 AM »
Yeah, I mentioned them more on a recent historical basis than anything. Ultimately, it just comes down to non-UConn programs helping to carry the load if the league really wants to establish itself.

Yeah I knew you realized that but was just adding that those two programs were a bit down this year.  They at least seem to care about their Women's Basketball program at those schools - not so sure about that at Georgetown. 

Anyone care to talk about the season Marquette is having so far and the upcoming DePaul game???

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #294 on: December 31, 2020, 08:33:39 AM »
They're good, but not top of a high major league good. Usually a 5-8 seed & first weekend casualty. Never gone past the Sweet 16. They're the best program in the league, but not a threat for the Final Four. It'll be interesting to see what they are without Bruno, all their success has been with him and he's over 70 now.

Huh thought they were usually ranked in the top 25, still if they can be a solid Robin to UConns. Batman and we can get on par with that I'd say that's a good foundation to being a respectable league at least.
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #295 on: December 31, 2020, 09:30:18 AM »
Yeah I knew you realized that but was just adding that those two programs were a bit down this year.  They at least seem to care about their Women's Basketball program at those schools - not so sure about that at Georgetown. 

Anyone care to talk about the season Marquette is having so far and the upcoming DePaul game???

Sure.

First, Bruno is a good coach and has done a great job at DePaul for decades. They are a top 25 caliber team (bottom half) often that makes the NCAA's and gets a win or two. They have had great consistency over a long period of time. This is a level that Marquette can aspire to more often.

As for the matchup. DePaul wants to get out and run, speed up tempo, and play in the 80's and 90's. They produce lots of fast break baskets, and force lots of turnovers. They are not a strong rebounding team. Streaky 3 point shooting. They get as much as half of their points in transition.

DePaul is battle tested having played Texas A&M, Kentucky, Louisville, UConn etc ...

MU will need to control tempo, get good spacing, get to the FT line, play inside out, limit turnovers, Limit transition, and eat the glass.

Where DePaul has struggled are with teams that can defend their perimeter players with length and lateral quickness. ...while at the same time controlling the paint. Those are the elite of elite teams. But DePaul has been every bit as good as some top 10-15 teams thus far.

Bekeljia is much improved. Rogers is a nice Frosh. I would go at Morris and try to get her in foul trouble. She'll get her steals and she'll force turnovers. She is a difference maker for them. DePaul doesn't have a lot of depth. Bench points have been hard to find for DePaul. I'd also force non-rythm 3's.

Stonewall was a big graduating loss for DePaul. They don't really have a similar player. But they are filling that by group.

DePaul is a good test for Marquette.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:30:13 AM by shoothoops »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #296 on: December 31, 2020, 05:57:33 PM »
Sure.

First, Bruno is a good coach and has done a great job at DePaul for decades. They are a top 25 caliber team (bottom half) often that makes the NCAA's and gets a win or two. They have had great consistency over a long period of time. This is a level that Marquette can aspire to more often.

As for the matchup. DePaul wants to get out and run, speed up tempo, and play in the 80's and 90's. They produce lots of fast break baskets, and force lots of turnovers. They are not a strong rebounding team. Streaky 3 point shooting. They get as much as half of their points in transition.

DePaul is battle tested having played Texas A&M, Kentucky, Louisville, UConn etc ...

MU will need to control tempo, get good spacing, get to the FT line, play inside out, limit turnovers, Limit transition, and eat the glass.

Where DePaul has struggled are with teams that can defend their perimeter players with length and lateral quickness. ...while at the same time controlling the paint. Those are the elite of elite teams. But DePaul has been every bit as good as some top 10-15 teams thus far.

Bekeljia is much improved. Rogers is a nice Frosh. I would go at Morris and try to get her in foul trouble. She'll get her steals and she'll force turnovers. She is a difference maker for them. DePaul doesn't have a lot of depth. Bench points have been hard to find for DePaul. I'd also force non-rythm 3's.

Stonewall was a big graduating loss for DePaul. They don't really have a similar player. But they are filling that by group.

DePaul is a good test for Marquette.

Yeah - some actual discussion about games here - thank you :).

Very thorough and I don't have much of any worth to add :).  Turnovers are what worry me the most for MU - they had 25 turnovers against Xavier and Belmont and a team like DePaul is going to take major advantage of that many turnovers.

DePaul has definitely been the elite team in the Big East since the restructuring before UCONN came back this season - I think the 18-19 season was the only one in that stretch that DePaul didn't come in first in the Big East in the regular season - they tied for first or were in sole possession of first the other years in that stretch and they won the Big East Tournament title in that season of course.

Marquette-DePaul are usually fun games to watch - really miss that I can't see this one in person.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #297 on: January 01, 2021, 01:14:11 PM »
Article about Jordan King:
https://www.wifr.com/2021/01/01/hononegah-grad-king-finds-consistency-at-marquette/

Marquette's release about the upcoming DePaul game:
https://gomarquette.com/news/2020/12/31/womens-basketball-muwbb-returns-to-action-against-no-18-21-depaul.aspx

A reminder that the DePaul-MU game will be televised on FS1 at 1P central on Sunday.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #298 on: January 01, 2021, 01:43:01 PM »
Yeah - some actual discussion about games here - thank you :).

Very thorough and I don't have much of any worth to add :).  Turnovers are what worry me the most for MU - they had 25 turnovers against Xavier and Belmont and a team like DePaul is going to take major advantage of that many turnovers.

DePaul has definitely been the elite team in the Big East since the restructuring before UCONN came back this season - I think the 18-19 season was the only one in that stretch that DePaul didn't come in first in the Big East in the regular season - they tied for first or were in sole possession of first the other years in that stretch and they won the Big East Tournament title in that season of course.

Marquette-DePaul are usually fun games to watch - really miss that I can't see this one in person.

Under Duffy, MU averages 17+ turnovers per game. Kieger's teams were in the 12 range.

Duffy's winning % of .77 is pretty impressive considering Year 1 was supposed to be a rebuild.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #299 on: January 01, 2021, 01:45:34 PM »
Speaking of both Louisville and Duke, Nyah Green announces today she will transfer from Louisville to Duke.

Interesting story. A top 25 All American, that committed very early to Louisville. Then she decided to redshirt her first year. She has played in all five games this season but only played one minute in her laat game. Good student. Change of scenery. It shows how competitive it is at the top. Louisville gets top 5-10 type classes on top 5-10 type teams.

feedback