[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oh, how the worm can turn.  (Read 48412 times)

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
Re: Oh, how the worm can turn.
« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2019, 06:38:26 PM »
Wojo lost with Buzz' leftover and got better every year.

Why do you continue to spout this nonsense?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2019, 06:55:14 PM »

+1

Why is “Wojo got better every year” stated as a fact?  Wojo made the dance in year 3, and missed it in year 4.  It seems like he got worse once Buzz’s leftovers were no longer on the team.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #252 on: September 19, 2019, 06:57:55 PM »

Look at the trend of objective rankings.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #253 on: September 19, 2019, 06:58:22 PM »
+1

Why is “Wojo got better every year” stated as a fact?  Wojo made the dance in year 3, and missed it in year 4.  It seems like he got worse once Buzz’s leftovers were no longer on the team.

Because it is, primarily.

See above

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #254 on: September 19, 2019, 07:06:02 PM »
To call Deane a good recruiter is ridiculous.

Krunti Hester disagrees.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #255 on: September 19, 2019, 07:08:04 PM »

Kenpom:
2019 - 33
2018 - 53
2017 - 32
2016 - 97
2015 - 93

Objective ranking

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #256 on: September 19, 2019, 07:12:40 PM »

Ah yes, I forgot about the Objective Ranking Banner.  I see Year Four up there, carry on.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #257 on: September 19, 2019, 07:18:20 PM »
Kenpom:
2019 - 33
2018 - 53
2017 - 32
2016 - 97
2015 - 93

Objective ranking

Interesting.  According to this objective ranking, Wojo’s best season was the year three of “Buzz’s leftovers” were seniors and played important roles on the team.  Yep, Buzz truly left a bare cupboard.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #258 on: September 19, 2019, 07:45:12 PM »
i'm scrolling thru 9 pages of comments and no has addressed "how the worm can turn"?

Geez, another thread derailed by off topic blather. Does this help?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2019, 08:20:15 PM »
So Mike Deane, except Mike actually won an NCAA game. Sweet.

Really?

Mike's recruiting at the end was not very good
Mike Deane at the end didn't finish in the upper division at the end of his tenure.  Trajectory counts
Were we competitive his last year?  Eesh
Mike Deane had several players not exactly doing things the way the university wasn't too thrilled with...I worked in the athletic department at the time and can attest
Crowd sizes during Deane?  Uhm, not close.

I should have added rivalry games.  Wojo has done well.  Mike Deane, not so much.

Do not see the comparison at all.  Analogies of late on this board....really bad.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #260 on: September 19, 2019, 08:21:15 PM »
What if Wojo wins 3 NCAA tournament games this year? What is he leaves Marquette and makes the Sweet 16 elsewhere? The "what if?" game is fun, especially when facts/history don't paint a rosy picture. Fun fact: last MU coach to last 5 years and not win an NCAA tournament game in those 5 years? Bill Chandler. In 1935.

Rick Majerus didn't win any either, and MU fans being the precious bunch that we are....ran him out.  Somehow, he did just fine after leaving us.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #261 on: September 19, 2019, 08:24:24 PM »
To say that Wojo’s “firmly in the 4th or 5th position” of coaches post-Al isn’t really saying anything.  Buzz, Crean, and KO, in their first five years at MU, all did *way* better than Wojo in terms of actual results.  Wojo might be 4th, but the gap is enormous.

As far as what Wojo has actually accomplished, Deane is, unfortunately, his best comparison so far.  Wojo is a better recruiter than Deane, but that’s about it.  And that’s not saying anything, either.

KO also had seasons that were way worse, too.  KO also coached at MU when UW-madison extension was a joke as was our conference.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #262 on: September 19, 2019, 08:27:40 PM »
+1

Because statistically it is true and some of us have proven it with facts, not with opinions.  See the data.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #263 on: September 19, 2019, 08:32:31 PM »
Nm

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2019, 08:45:47 PM »
Rick Majerus didn't win any either, and MU fans being the precious bunch that we are....ran him out.  Somehow, he did just fine after leaving us.

"Precious MU fans" didn't "run Majerus out". Rick quit, didn't last the requisite 5 years for our "apples to apples" comparison. So, 1935. The legendary Bill Chandler. Imagine that!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2019, 08:57:36 PM »
Because statistically it is true and some of us have proven it with facts, not with opinions.  See the data.

Pomeroy's statistical analysis doesn't use facts? LOL.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2019, 08:59:53 PM »
"Precious MU fans" didn't "run Majerus out". Rick quit, didn't last the requisite 5 years for our "apples to apples" comparison. So, 1935. The legendary Bill Chandler. Imagine that!

Rick quit because of the stress, much of it brought on by MU fans.  Or is Rick lying now?  RIP

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2019, 09:00:29 PM »
Pomeroy's statistical analysis doesn't use facts? LOL.

Pomeroy is the only statistical analysis?  LOL

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2019, 09:06:03 PM »
+1

This is a no good, very bad take. Perhaps you should take a second look at that year three roster.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2019, 09:10:08 PM »
Pomeroy is the only statistical analysis?  LOL

So you say people who refute you have no facts, only opinions. I cite Pomeroy's fact based analysis that refutes you. Unable to refute, instead you deflect. Classic.

BTW, what are your "facts"?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #270 on: September 19, 2019, 09:13:14 PM »
Rick quit because of the stress, much of it brought on by MU fans.  Or is Rick lying now?  RIP

How the F do YOU know that Rick's stress was brought on by MU fans? Source?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #271 on: September 19, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »
How the F do YOU know that Rick's stress was brought on by MU fans? Source?

Reread what I wrote, and then I'll answer it.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #272 on: September 19, 2019, 09:43:24 PM »
Very nice in areas, exactly what we needed to get away from in others.
Joey too.  Can guard Big Ten guys but not BE

Great first post and agree with you completely on Joey. That's like having an employee you know needs to be fired for the good of the company and then you try to act sad when they quit.

However on Sam the positives so greatly outweighed the few weaknesses - mainly lack of athleticism that let him be worn down when needing to take on too tough defense. However, Sam as a senior would have been more valuable then even one of the great freshman - so for 2020 that is a loss.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #273 on: September 19, 2019, 09:57:45 PM »
This is a no good, very bad take. Perhaps you should take a second look at that year three roster.

I did.  Fischer and JJJ were major contributors that year.  Duane was essentially reduced to being an energy guy off the bench, but in the win over No. 1 Villanova at home, which many consider to be Wojo’s finest hour, he scored 11 points.  Katin led with 19.  The only other guy in double figures for MU was Luke Fischer with 15.  Two Buzz leftovers came up pretty big for Wojo that night. 

In year 4, according to Pomeroy, the team was, well, objectively worse.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #274 on: September 19, 2019, 10:19:03 PM »
I did.  Fischer and JJJ were major contributors that year.  Duane was essentially reduced to being an energy guy off the bench, but in the win over No. 1 Villanova at home, which many consider to be Wojo’s finest hour, he scored 11 points.  Katin led with 19.  The only other guy in double figures for MU was Luke Fischer with 15.  Two Buzz leftovers came up pretty big for Wojo that night. 

In year 4, according to Pomeroy, the team was, well, objectively worse.

Fischer was more of a Crean leftover, he had a semester of practice under Buzz.
Maigh Eo for Sam