[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oh, how the worm can turn.  (Read 48289 times)

jonny09

• Team Captain
Re: Oh, how the worm can turn.
« Reply #200 on: September 15, 2019, 05:42:05 PM »
Nothing fake about what I said....please point out what is....getting paid the last 25 years in the sports industry....someone thinks I know a thing or two.

Most likely people who are hearing impaired.  Cuz nobody on this board thinks you know anything.  And that includes sports.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »
MU82, that wasn’t hard was it?  And no, you don’t ignore me....I occupy a space in your brain...you may choose not to respond, but you don’t ignore....it is not in your nature.

I accept your apology.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2019, 06:19:24 PM »

I don't know what "decent" program would be satisfied with Wojo AND be attractive to him.  Maybe Wake Forest if they dump Manning?  But it's not a very long list IMO.
I think it is longer than you would think.
1. Any top half of the Big Ten School is a no brainer.
2. Probably 13/15 of the ACC
3. Pretty much all of the Big 12
4. Most of the SEC
5. about 40 percent of the Pac 12

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2019, 06:37:00 PM »
4. Most of the SEC
I think you read his statement incorrectly.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2019, 06:41:41 PM »
I remember Joey Hauser being absolute trash and pouting when Markus tried to do anything to bring Marquette back in the game.

Sam Hauser likewise had his doors absolutely blown off.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2019, 06:43:36 PM »
I remember Joey Hauser.....pouting
That started in November.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2019, 06:44:41 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2019, 06:55:22 PM »
4. Most of the SEC

What school in the top half of the Big Ten would take Wojo?  13/15 in the ACC?  You think Louisville would take him?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »
What school in the top half of the Big Ten would take Wojo?  13/15 in the ACC?  You think Louisville would take him?
I am saying Wojo would leave for the first good paying Power 5 job actually offered.  So  I am just responding to the second clause of your question, with the list of those schools he would seriously look at if money was right and he actually got an offer, not saying he would get an offer.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2019, 07:38:53 PM »
Well that's kind of my point.  Sure he would leave for some schools.  Sure some schools would want him.  But I don't think there are many schools in those overlapping circles.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2019, 07:57:05 PM »
Most likely people who are hearing impaired.  Cuz nobody on this board thinks you know anything.  And that includes sports.

Just people that like to make money and deal honorably with teams and players.  All have excellent hearing

Nobody anything always forever....did I miss any from you?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #211 on: September 15, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
Normally, I'd ignore the troll, but I do want to make sure the record is straight as the guy who argues just for the sake of arguing tries to "catch" me on something.

Yes, I was including the transfer, and I thought I had made it clear in my post, where my 6 weeks reference clearly was after my Hausershima reference.

2/27 Nova loss
3/3 Crei loss
3/6 SH loss
3/9 GT loss
3/14 StJ win
3/15 SH loss
3/21 MurrSt utter humiliation
4/15 Hausershima

It actually was a miserable 6 weeks, 5 days -- featuring 6 losses in 7 games, including an embarrassing annihilation in the NCAA tournament and then the transfer of one very good and one potentially very good player.

Again, IMHO, the worst stretch for MU hoops in many a year -- especially given all the program had going for it on 2/27 at 9 p.m.
82–I not quite sure you understand the ignore function. When implemented....that person is on ignore and you don’t see their post or in Chico’s case....thousands of agenda promoting posts on the same God. Damn. Topic.
That capital G was for you guru!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #212 on: September 15, 2019, 07:58:16 PM »
I don’t think I remember a different game.

At halftime we were leading 40 to 39.  I would call that in the game.
We trailed by 1 point until 10:43 remaining when we went down 3.
With 7:15 left it was a two possession game, down by 5 points.
It remained a two possession deficit under 7 minutes.

As I stated, from there the wheels came off.  Tired, not shooting well, etc.  We made no baskets for the next five plus minutes....Markus, Katlin, Luke, Andrew, Jajuan, etc, all missed.  Throw in turnovers by Duane, Andrew, Markus, Luke, and a parade of fouls....and it is over...we were very much in that game until the 6 minute and change mark, when we then proceeded to miss almost all of our shots, turn the ball over, foul like crazy....the first 34 minutes that wasn’t the case...perhaps that is when Wojo wasn’t coaching.

South Carolina finished 6th in the final poll.  Beating Marquette, Duke, Baylor, Florida, and just missing out on Gonzaga.  They got hot at the right time, stars aligned properly for them. 

My question....i think you can go back and look....but had to do with examples of the performances of coaches like K, etc that lost to Lehigh, Mercer, etc...in those games, what would you rate their performances?

1. You originally said we were tied with 10 minutes to play. Amended that to down 1 with 10 minutes to play. Truth? We were down 5 with 10 minutes to play.

2. You say we got "tired". Agree 100%. We also looked exhausted in the second half vs. Murray St. last year. But tired in a first round NCAA game in March? Wow. Who takes the blame/responsibility for that?

3. I'd give K a "1" for his team's performance vs Lehigh. IOW, an "F". Every coach has them. But (making up numbers, to be sure) if you take 40 tests and have 15 "A's", 12 "B's", 8 "C's", 3 "D's" and 2 "F's" you have a solid average. If you've taken 2 tests and received 2 "F's" you are flunking.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:40:19 AM by Lennys Tap »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #213 on: September 15, 2019, 07:58:56 PM »
I accept your apology.

Like I said, you cannot ignore
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2019, 08:58:10 PM »
He didn’t “get” to cut his teeth at a mid major?  That was his choice.  It’s been said (maybe even by Wojo himself, IIRC) that he could’ve had the Dayton job, and possibly others.  He chose to stay at Duke and Coach K’s fiefdom until a big job like MU opened.  With a big job comes big expectations.  It was also MU’s choice to hire a guy with no prior experience running his own program, who had only ever been around one program and that program’s very specific way of doing things.  The fact that Wojo never coached at another school isn’t an excuse.  At a place like Marquette, you’re expected to hit the ground running, regardless of experience level.

Bottom line, the pressure will be on Wojo to win an NCAA tournament game this year.  That’s how casual fans measure success.  Hell, it’s how rabid fans ultimately measure success, too.  The optics of him being here six years with zero NCAA wins and facing another retooling period post-Markus will not be great.

Maybe, maybe night.  Bottom line, casual fans don’t get to make the call....not do rabid fans unless they are dropping tickets, not donating, etc.  And then there is that pesky item about who the replacement is...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2019, 09:03:30 PM »
1. You originally said we were tied with 10 minutes to play. Amended that to down 1 with 10 minutes to play. Truth? We were down 5 with 10 minutes to play.

2. You say we got "tired". Agree 100%. We also looked exhausted in the second half vs. Murray St. last year. But tired in a first round NCAA game in March? Wow. Who takes the blame/responsibility for that.

3. I'd give K a "1" for his team's performance vs Lehigh. IOW, an "F". Every coach has them. But (making up numbers, to be sure) if you take 40 tests and have 15 "A's", 12 "B's", 8 "C's", 3 "D's" and 2 "F's" you have a solid average. If you've taken 2 tests and received 2 "F's" you are flunking.

No, I originally said game was tied with under 10 minutes I THINK.....I wasn’t sure...which is why I said it that way.  I didn’t amend, I simply looked it up...it was down 3 with under 10 to pay and down one with a little over ten to play.  Come on.

As for the grading, that’s fine except your analogy implies tests and we knows tests are done in a given year...which is again back to my point.....apparently we are supposed to give a pass for someone that aced the test in 2015, but if they get an F on it in 2018 it’s ok, because they got that A in 2015.  If HOF coaches can lose to much worse teams then we did and have much better talent, that should be a giant neon light for many people here that anything can happen in the tournament....ESPECIALLY when we don’t have that talent that he does.  ESPECIALLY. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2019, 09:36:39 PM »
Wojo was older than Al, Rick, Crean and Buzz when they started at Marquette.  Remind me what games Al and Buzz lost in the NCAAs "that they shouldn't have" with inferior talent, Chico's? 

This is a big year for Wojo. He has his deepest, most balanced and most athletic roster. MU is ranked #22.Wojo is off to a good start on the recruiting trail. November is a big month for him, maybe his biggest at MU.

Is he going to get the axe?  No. Is he infallible? No

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2019, 09:38:27 PM »
Maybe, maybe night.  Bottom line, casual fans don’t get to make the call....not do rabid fans unless they are dropping tickets, not donating, etc.  And then there is that pesky item about who the replacement is...

That “crapshoot” quote from Roy Williams you have as your signature was from an article written on April 2, 2003.  At the time he said it, he was coaching in his fourth Final Four.  He had also been to four Sweet Sixteens and an Elite Eight.  He’d already had an illustrious and Hall of Fame worthy career.  Perhaps adding some context to that quote would be helpful.  How do you think that same line would’ve gone over had Wojo said it after the Murray State blowout?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 09:40:44 PM by Research Report »

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2019, 09:39:01 PM »
NM

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2019, 09:50:11 PM »
No, I originally said game was tied with under 10 minutes I THINK.....I wasn’t sure...which is why I said it that way.  I didn’t amend, I simply looked it up...it was down 3 with under 10 to pay and down one with a little over ten to play.  Come on.

As for the grading, that’s fine except your analogy implies tests and we knows tests are done in a given year...which is again back to my point.....apparently we are supposed to give a pass for someone that aced the test in 2015, but if they get an F on it in 2018 it’s ok, because they got that A in 2015.  If HOF coaches can lose to much worse teams then we did and have much better talent, that should be a giant neon light for many people here that anything can happen in the tournament....ESPECIALLY when we don’t have that talent that he does.  ESPECIALLY.

Didn't answer my question. (See #2).

As for talent Pomeroy and Vegas thought we had as much as S Carolina and more than Murray State. we ended up -39. That's an "F" even in one of UNC's fake classes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #220 on: September 15, 2019, 10:07:08 PM »
I'd be very surprised if Wojo were ever fired after making the tournament.  But he needs to have some March success before he misses his next tourney or that'll probably be it for him.

This I could definitely see. Marquette wouldn't be the first program to have a coach plateau too low to endear himself, but too high to fire. Wait til the first bad season and bam, fired.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #221 on: September 15, 2019, 11:02:42 PM »
i'm scrolling thru 9 pages of comments and no has addressed "how the worm can turn"? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2019, 02:16:13 AM »
Well, I suppose everyone would cut him some slack if we had won something in his five years.  To me in five years the list of Wojo's highlights is a win over number 1 Villanova at home and... I got nothing else.  We've made two NCAAs in his 5 years, nothing special even considering what we were when he arrived, and we were not competitive once we got there. No top 25 finishes for a six year stretch, 5 on his watch.  Since Al got here, the only other stretch where that happened was the Majerus/Dukiet dark days.  He has been building toward 2018-19 and 2019-20 since he got here.  The first of those two seasons began will lots of promise but ended in a total collapse.  Season 2 has begun with his second and third best players leaving the program so once again expectations are lowered.  For goodness sake, you have the optimistic people on the board hoping we can get an NCAA tournament win in year 6, with a probably step back for a year or two following that!  We are Marquette.  That is not good.  He's got to start winning more to win people over.  Not sure why that is hard for people to understand.

And stop using the occasional failures of great coaches to excuse him.  You darn well know you can't compare him to great coaches because guys with a great track record earn the benefit of the doubt when a season or game goes sideways.

I'm not even a Wojo hater.  I still hold out hope he can do something great here.  Just saying I get the frustration with him.

To me the best you can say about Wojo is that the jury is still out or there is still potential.

100% agree however, one cannot deny his 2020 recruiting has started off pretty solidly.  Many who said it would be a crash n burn still wont give it props
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2019, 07:43:15 AM »
I will never understand this logic.  Ever.  A lot of people throw this one around. 

Because someone did something good 4 years earlier, that is a free pass for today and excuses the present day loss.  Uhm, ok.

End of the day, Buzz, Al, Coach K, Izzo, etc, etc, etc have all lost games in the tournament they shouldn’t have, sometimes blown out and EVERY time they had better talent than Wojo did and they are better coaches, more experienced.

To sum it up, those guys....better coaches, better talent but it is ok to lose to teams they shouldn’t have because somebody did something earlier in their career at same school.  Meanwhile, the current guy with less talent, less coaching acumen is obliterated for losing despite the talent and coaching gap.

The lack of logic is amazing.
You are basically comparing Wojo's best work to their worst and saying somehow because his best compared with something they did, it is OK.  When you get there always and play 50 NCAA tournament games you are going to have the occasional stinker.  When you get there twice and have a stinker both times, that is not the same thing.  I think any reasonable person would have a lot more doubt about a guy who hasn't proven himself vs. on who has.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2019, 07:58:49 AM »
Didn't answer my question. (See #2).

As for talent Pomeroy and Vegas thought we had as much as S Carolina and more than Murray State. we ended up -39. That's an "F" even in one of UNC's fake classes.

Hey, leave my esteemed state university alone!

Even though the "classes" were put in place specifically for athletes, and even though hundreds of athletes were steered into them by counselors within the athletic department who have admitted they knew the "classes" were shams, it really wasn't an "athletic issue" because other students were allowed to take the "classes." So the NCAA passed on hitting the school for lack of institutional control. And just recently, when deciding whether or not to put such situations under their jurisdiction in the future -- as the Rice Commission specifically recommended -- the NCAA again passed.

But at least the NCAA is punishing N.C. State, so that'll show UNC!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback