[Today at 12:09:51 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oh, how the worm can turn.  (Read 48369 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Oh, how the worm can turn.
« on: September 12, 2019, 09:35:01 PM »
Since the day the Hausers left this board has had a divide widened over coach Wojo.  As the summer went on both sides have seemed to separate further as it appeared the critical 2020 class may not end up at the level scoopers and writers felt was necessary.  Some were going off the deep end and even the “slurpers” had to have some concerns. 
All this changes with Osa on board. The divide has hopefully narrowed.
Most importantly,  There is now no question the worm has turned and the only direction is up for this class. Consider we now have two forward commitments in the top 100.  As nice a player as Sam Hauser was these guys are both infinitely more athletic than Sam.  Wojo continues to not only increase the skill but the athlecism in his classes. This class is worst case top 3-4 in the BE with the potential of being #1 with even one more of our top targets.  Great stuff from Wojo n staff.  Recruiting is 90% of winning in college bball, that should never be lost on anyone.  The potential of a whiff on the 2020 is resoundingly smashed.  The concerns are dashed, the worm has turned from a potential crash and burn to a smashing hit.  Good day to be a Warrior, congrats to the coaches and  program.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
Re: Oh, how the worm can turn.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 09:40:06 PM »
Since the day the Hausers left this board has had a divide widened over coach Wojo.  As the summer went on both sides have seemed to separate further as it appeared the critical 2020 class may not end up at the level scoopers and writers felt was necessary.  Some were going off the deep end and even the “slurpers” had to have some concerns. 
All this changes with Osa on board. The divide has hopefully narrowed.
Most importantly,  There is now no question the worm has turned and the only direction is up for this class. Consider we now have two forward commitments in the top 100.  As nice a player as Sam Hauser was these guys are both infinitely more athletic than Sam.  Wojo continues to not only increase the skill but the athlecism in his classes. This class is worst case top 3-4 in the BE with the potential of being #1 with even one more of our top targets.  Great stuff from Wojo n staff.  Recruiting is 90% of winning in college bball, that should never be lost on anyone.  The potential of a whiff on the 2020 is resoundingly smashed.  The concerns are dashed, the worm has turned from a potential crash and burn to a smashing hit.  Good day to be a Warrior, congrats to the coaches and  program.

You make very valid points, and this class is off to a great start, but I think even the Coaches would tell you, it's not how you start but how you finish that matters most. That's absolutely crucial. Garcia and Davis, your table is ready..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 09:44:40 PM »
You make very valid points, and this class is off to a great start, but I think even the Coaches would tell you, it's not how you start but how you finish that matters most. That's absolutely crucial. Garcia and Davis, your table is ready..

So if i follow you...if a school signs the top 2 players in the country and then its a bust if 2 months later signs a top 150 kid as their final recruit???

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 09:45:59 PM »
Sand,

You make some great points. Very exciting for MU and the only way to rid ourselves of the foul taste of the end of the season.

BTW, Sam was/is way more than 'a nice player'.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:48:50 PM »
I like the OP's tone and passion, but Sam would have been long gone by the time these recruits start playing. But hey ... they're way way more athletic than Joey, that's for sure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 09:49:35 PM »
Sand,

You make some great points. Very exciting for MU and the only way to rid ourselves of the foul taste of the end of the season.

BTW, Sam was/is way more than 'a nice player'.

Very nice in areas, exactly what we needed to get away from in others.
Joey too.  Can guard Big Ten guys but not BE

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 09:57:32 PM »
So if i follow you...if a school signs the top 2 players in the country and then its a bust if 2 months later signs a top 150 kid as their final recruit???

That's a little different example, these aren't the top two kids in the country..this class is off to a VERY good start, if he finishes with Davis and Garcia...just...wow.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 10:07:35 PM »
That's a little different example, these aren't the top two kids in the country..this class is off to a VERY good start, if he finishes with Davis and Garcia...just...wow.

If he gets one of those two...still wow.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 10:10:39 PM »
Agree with the OP.  Very positive vibes now.  Get one of Davis or García or Suggs, etc and it is the home run class that Wojo needed especially paired with Symir.  It is good for both his and our sanity. 

The bad taste of losing Sam,however, will only wash away fully with a good year on the court and I am cautiously optimistic about that as well.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 10:32:42 PM »

Getting the top 2 and getting 2 in the 70s are very different. This class is off to a wonderful start. It's assured to be a good one. Guru (and I hope the rest of us) are just hoping that it turns out to be a great one.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 10:42:36 PM »
Don't count your Nattys just yet!

Look, I thnk Osa was a tremendous "get" for Marquette and we competed against some very good schools. Coach Wojo is to be congratulated and hopefully a couple more goodies are out there that we land and we get MU basketball back to the excellence we once had.

But before I start making arrangements for the Final Four, I want to see what we do with what we have. There has been too much attrition from our program in recent years. The Brothers Hauser meltdown, sorry, was first and foremost, a management failure. That's on the coach, pure and simple. If Wojo can make these people fit, I'm a believer!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 10:43:51 PM »
Getting the top 2 and getting 2 in the 70s are very different. This class is off to a wonderful start. It's assured to be a good one. Guru (and I hope the rest of us) are just hoping that it turns out to be a great one.

Agrred just debasing gurus argument of “its not how u start a class its how u finish it”. Completely nonsensical. Its his first response above
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:15:54 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 10:48:18 PM »
Agrred just debasing gurus are meant of “its nit how u start a class its how u finish it”. Completely nonsensical
Huh? I don't get the inside jokes on this board.  >:(

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 11:05:00 PM »
Great start. Need one more big name or two more solid ones til my worm is fully turned
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 11:08:25 PM »
Great start. Need one more big name or two more solid ones til my worm is fully turned
+1

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 11:28:44 PM »
Some of us haven’t wavered....not surprised at all.  Welcome to MU.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 06:17:27 AM »
I am just glad we did not have to pay a ton for these two commits.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 06:50:49 AM »
For those of us who had major fears that Hausershima would make it extremely difficult for Wojo to get any traction at all with any decent recruits, those fears seem to have been waaaay overstated. And I fully admit I was one Scooper who had those concerns.

Just as his "evil" treatment of the Ellensons didn't prevent the Hausers from signing on the dotted line, Hausershima does not seem to have hurt him at all on the recruiting trail. Since The Lettermen quit on his program, he has signed two very nice recruits, has been a finalist for several others, and is still in the running for numerous top-notch players.

Recruits apparently like it that we have playing time to offer, that we are in a good conference in which just about every game is nationally televised, that our players seem genuinely happy to be part of our program, that we regularly pack an NBA arena, and that we have likable coaches.

Every program goes through adversity. So far, it looks like ours is emerging encouragingly from Hausershima -- with a chance to really thrive.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 06:53:39 AM »

Look, I thnk Osa was a tremendous "get" for Marquette and we competed against some very good schools. Coach Wojo is to be congratulated and hopefully a couple more goodies are out there that we land and we get MU basketball back to the excellence we once had.

But before I start making arrangements for the Final Four, I want to see what we do with what we have. There has been too much attrition from our program in recent years. The Brothers Hauser meltdown, sorry, was first and foremost, a management failure. That's on the coach, pure and simple. If Wojo can make these people fit, I'm a believer!
How dare you blaspheme Wojo about losing the Hausers. Haven't you read the posts here by many. Good riddance to the Hausers. Scoopers want volunteers, not hostages. Hope that these new guys work out, but their assistance is still a year away.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 07:16:39 AM »

Few things are pure and simple in college athletics anymore. Takes two to tango. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 07:28:56 AM »
Apparently, OSO can smell-l-l-l what the Woj is cooking.  Seriously, though, the best thing Wojo can do regarding Hausergate and future recruits is show them the letter.  Most kids who have playing high level basketball for years will look at it, think WTF, and then listen to Wojo.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 07:49:39 AM »
The smallest worm will turn being trodden on,
And doves will peck in safeguard of their brood.

https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2018/08/19/what-is-the-origin-of-the-worm-has-turned/

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2019, 08:08:35 AM »

I'm glad we recruited these two, but will they be impact players in 2020. I know we were pretty excited when Symir switched to 2019, but now we are saying don't expect great things this season. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if these guys are competitive with the guys Nova is getting.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2019, 08:21:17 AM »
Apparently, OSO can smell-l-l-l what the Woj is cooking.  Seriously, though, the best thing Wojo can do regarding Hausergate and future recruits is show them the letter.  Most kids who have playing high level basketball for years will look at it, think WTF, and then listen to Wojo.

Wojo:  Here, check out this letter

Recruit: Woah, where did the letter writers transfer to?

Wojo: Virginia and Michigan State

Stan: Yeah, let's not talk about the letter anymore, ok? 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2019, 09:23:59 AM »
Wojo:  Here, check out this letter

Recruit: Woah, where did the letter writers transfer to?

Wojo: Virginia and Michigan State

Stan: Yeah, let's not talk about the letter anymore, ok?

Recruit:  I’d like to talk to the team about the chemistry, coach, and why some may have left

Coaches:  We agree and encourage you to do it

Later.......

Recruit:   I’m coming to Marquette

feedback