Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:40:18 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oh, how the worm can turn.  (Read 48557 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Oh, how the worm can turn.
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »
Landed two more good players to once again backfill experience with youth.  We continue to never get old.  The key is to get old and stay old and we just cannot get there. That’s the sad part.  I’m not dwelling on it, I’m bringing up the reality.

Not wrong, but better than the gloom and doom here that he would strike out on recruiting and not backfill...which he didn’t. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2019, 12:12:54 PM »
Not wrong, but better than the gloom and doom here that he would strike out on recruiting and not backfill...which he didn’t.

Actually u are completely wrong
We will likely start 3 seniors this year and have a 5th yr senior n a 4th year junior as two of the first off the bench.  Add in theo and jamal as juniors and elloitt as a 3rd year sophomore and u are completely wrong.  Next year we will start 3-4 4th or 5th year players and would be wrong again.  We lost sam and added a 5th year so on age alone u are delusional.  Mu will be one of the older teams this yr.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2019, 12:21:31 PM »
Here’s something that isn’t speculation:  Wojo has won zero NCAA tournament games in five seasons as head coach at Marquette.

Wojo’s recruiting continues to be on par with Crean’s and Buzz’s.  Getting Osa (#73 overall) and Lewis (#75) is just more evidence of that.  Get Suggs or Garcia, the class becomes next level and a cut above any the previous two coaches ever had.  Get RJ Davis, and Wojo will at the very least match Buzz and TC’s best in terms of hype and rankings.  So as far as recruiting goes, I don’t think the worm has really turned.  It’s pretty much right where it ought to be. 

The results on the court need to change.  The pressure will be on Wojo to win an NCAA tournament game this year.  With this being Howard’s last season, anything short of that will be a huge disappointment.  The recruits are nice but they haven’t played a minute of college basketball and won’t for another 14 months.  Let’s see how this season plays out before we start talking about worms turning or seas changing or whatever other type of I-told-you-so hubris comes to mind.

Nice rant , however the worm turning was in respect to the perception and reality of the recruiting for the “critical” 2020 class. The general vibe has gone from possibly quite disappointing to probably really good.  I think this is pretty undeniable and again the context of the post. 
With that said continue being dissapointed with the program if u want, i will continue to recognize when we win battles

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »
We will likely start 3 seniors this year and have a 5th yr senior n a 4th year junior as two of the first off the bench.  Add in theo and jamal as juniors and elloitt as a 3rd year sophomore and u are completely wrong.  Next year we will start 3-4 4th or 5th year players and would be wrong again.  We lost sam and added a 5th year so on age alone u are delusional.  Mu will be one of the older teams this yr.

Youth is not just for one year, which I think was part of Lens’ point, too.  Those replacements were coming anyway, we’re talking about the recruits.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2019, 12:39:28 PM »
Youth is not just for one year, which I think was part of Lens’ point, too.  Those replacements were coming anyway, we’re talking about the recruits.

Maybe so statement was still stupid.  Mu has 2 5th year and 4 4th yr players.  Additionally we have 3 3rd year players.  Mu is in no way shape or form young and next year will not be either.  The rant about staying you was stupid and remains stupid.  We were one of the oldest teams in the BE last year and will be for the next two years as well.  So RR can bitch and complain about how bad Wojo sucks all he wants, but to use him failing at getting old and staying old is prolly the wrong hill to die on.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2019, 01:23:59 PM »

Probably should have gone after the original poster and not cheeks, who is actually on the same page you are about doom and gloom

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2019, 01:24:29 PM »

Ya. I thought Hauser transfer was gonna make recruiting anyone decent impossible for wojo.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »
Maybe so statement was still stupid.  Mu has 2 5th year and 4 4th yr players.  Additionally we have 3 3rd year players.  Mu is in no way shape or form young and next year will not be either.  The rant about staying you was stupid and remains stupid.  We were one of the oldest teams in the BE last year and will be for the next two years as well.  So RR can bitch and complain about how bad Wojo sucks all he wants, but to use him failing at getting old and staying old is prolly the wrong hill to die on.

You are targeting the wrong poster then.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2019, 02:59:57 PM »
You are targeting the wrong poster then.

RR is research report and if u wanna defend his lunacy i will lump u in.
Wojo deserves his share of criticism. That aint one now
I criticized the tirnover n staying yound two-3 years ago to still attack that and not recognize that hes actually doin well in that area now is blind n moronic.  Again if RR is vehemently anti Wojo he might wanna use a different beef
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 03:08:34 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2019, 03:04:00 PM »
Ya. I thought Hauser transfer was gonna make recruiting anyone decent impossible for wojo.

Feels like we're backtracking if Wojo's biggest victories are still on the recruiting trail and not the court.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2019, 03:11:03 PM »
Feels like we're backtracking if Wojo's biggest victories are still on the recruiting trail and not the court.

24 wins, 2nd place in BE, ncaa tourney bid and then two top 100 kids of first two verbals are all victories.  Crap on them all u want, u just look stupid

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »
24 wins, 2nd place in BE, ncaa tourney bid and then two top 100 kids of first two verbals are all victories.  Crap on them all u want, u just look stupid

Can't say I really care if a guy who can't spell thinks I'm stupid.  And if we're talking about last season, let's not forget the utter collapse down the stretch either.  He owns that too.

Osa's a real nice get for Wojo and the staff and so congrats to them.  Looks like there's a lot of positive vibes about his potential in the commitment thread, and that's great.  But threads like this one are obnoxious.  We've got a coach who still hasn't won a game in the tournament and people are crowing because this proves...that he can recruit guys in the top 100?  I thought we knew that.  That the Hausers leaving hasn't decimated the program?  Okay.  But are we going to be good enough to make noise in March at some point?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2019, 04:04:57 PM »
The Murray State game was most definitely a crap diarrhea chute.
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2019, 04:11:25 PM »
Can't say I really care if a guy who can't spell thinks I'm stupid.  And if we're talking about last season, let's not forget the utter collapse down the stretch either.  He owns that too.

Osa's a real nice get for Wojo and the staff and so congrats to them.  Looks like there's a lot of positive vibes about his potential in the commitment thread, and that's great.  But threads like this one are obnoxious.  We've got a coach who still hasn't won a game in the tournament and people are crowing because this proves...that he can recruit guys in the top 100?  I thought we knew that.  That the Hausers leaving hasn't decimated the program?  Okay.  But are we going to be good enough to make noise in March at some point?

Depends...who we play, how we play, where we play, etc.  Crapshoot.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2019, 04:38:12 PM »

Anyone that pines for the hausers, those same hausers that crap all over our program and were actually the ones that decimated the season. If ur a fan of theirs with their Me first attitudes and choose to place that on Wojo then u are even more lost than i had figured.  Hausers were perfect examples of how a few bad apples can derail a seemingly great season all for their selfish interests.  Old as time and a true tragedy, it happens, but to pine for them and blame the guys still fighting in the foxholes is pathetic

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2019, 05:02:11 PM »
Anyone that pines for the hausers, those same hausers that crap all over our program and were actually the ones that decimated the season. If ur a fan of theirs with their Me first attitudes and choose to place that on Wojo then u are even more lost than i had figured.  Hausers were perfect examples of how a few bad apples can derail a seemingly great season all for their selfish interests.  Old as time and a true tragedy, it happens, but to pine for them and blame the guys still fighting in the foxholes is pathetic

Joey made a bad decision to come to MU by his own admission.  I don’t blame him.  Sam is where I have the issue.  1 year of eligibility and you leave?  Very very weak on his part IMO.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2019, 05:05:19 PM »

I never said anything about "biggest victories".

I was merely pointing out those who stated wojos recruiting would suffer as a result of the Hauser transfer doesn't appear to be the reality of the current situation.

Isn't that a positive for the program?

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2019, 05:21:57 PM »

I'm not pining for them.  I think when a team collapses down the stretch and loses two starters it's a bad thing.  I think the ultimate responsibility for that falls on the coach.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »

I wonder if the average Athletic Director feels that way.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 14, 2019, 06:49:38 PM »

I was merely pointing out those who stated wojos recruiting would suffer as a result of the Hauser transfer doesn't appear to be the reality of the current situation.

This is where I'm at, because I was quite concerned at the time. I am now back to cautiously optimistic.

The next 6-7 months, both on the recruiting trail and on the court, will tell us a ton about where Wojo's program stands after Hausershima.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2019, 07:14:33 PM »
This is where I'm at, because I was quite concerned at the time. I am now back to cautiously optimistic.

The next 6-7 months, both on the recruiting trail and on the court, will tell us a ton about where Wojo's program stands after Hausershima.

Agreed on the second paragraph

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2019, 08:13:10 PM »

Can't control who or where you play, only how you play. On a 1-10 scale how would you rate our play vs South Carolina and Murray State. Just numbers, please - no excuses or editorializing.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2019, 08:43:07 PM »
Can't control who or where you play, only how you play. On a 1-10 scale how would you rate our play vs South Carolina and Murray State. Just numbers, please - no excuses or editorializing.

3 and 1

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »

I agree, it is a positive thing.  We know the Hauser situation won't be torpedoing the recruiting class.  I just don't get the gloating about it like it's proof that Wojo is doing a good job.  He's still 0fer in the tourney.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2019, 08:58:07 PM »

Carolina. 7.  Game was tied I think with under 10 min to play.  S.C. went on to Final Four

Murray State...2.  Terrible matchup

How would you rate HOF coach’s team performance Duke against Mercer or Lehigh?  And countless examples.  No excuses or editorializing

feedback