'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oh, how the worm can turn.  (Read 48486 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Oh, how the worm can turn.
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2019, 10:09:34 PM »
We lost players to MSU & UVA...

But just keep pretending it’s all no big deal.

Wojo got them here in the first place....he just landed two more good players....dwell in the past if you wish....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »
The Murray State game was most definitely a crap chute.

It was.  Ugly game.  It was simply a terrible matchup and matchups matter.  Davidson in ‘13 was a terrible matchup.  FSU in the round of 32 would have been just as bad.

Losing by 19 was inexcusable, losing wasn’t. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2019, 10:12:31 PM »
Agree that Wojo very badly needs a tournament win. But

that Murray State game was no crap shoot, it was a solid ass-kicking.

Yup...it happens....we could go through lots and lots of coaches, including Hall of Famers that got their ass kicked in the tournament.....

Whether he needs to very badly win a game or not I am not worried about.  No one on this board from what I can tell has any juice to make that decision, let alone influence it. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2019, 10:13:44 PM »
I'm with you, Tower.

And to answer, Chico, I've already expressed my excitement regarding the 2020 class so far. Very hopeful that Wojo and co. finish things with a flourish.

Go, Marquette, indeed!

Thanks Lenny, glad you are excited.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2019, 10:28:29 PM »
So you're backtracking on what you said. 

No, not backtracking at all. You distorted what I said by adding your own words and then attributing them to me. That's dishonest and/or willfully ignorant. NBD, just try to refrain from it in the future. Have a nice weekend.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2019, 10:34:16 PM »

Losing by 19 was inexcusable, losing wasn’t.

Bullcrap.

It was Murray F***ing State. Losing to any OVC team by a Big East team is inexcusable. I don't care if it is DePaul. Big East teams do NOT lose to Murray F***ing State.

Al would have killed for less than that!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2019, 10:38:27 PM »
Bullcrap.

It was Murray F***ing State. Losing to any OVC team by a Big East team is inexcusable. I don't care if it is DePaul. Big East teams do NOT lose to Murray F***ing State.

Marquette losing to Miami (OH)

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2019, 10:52:49 PM »

Al was gone.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2019, 10:56:49 PM »
Al was gone.

Understand, his players still there and his X’s And O’s guy coaching the team....someone with a ton of experience.  It happens.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2019, 11:16:50 PM »
Understand, his players still there and his X’s And O’s guy coaching the team....someone with a ton of experience.  It happens.

Hank was a rookie D1 head coach, Wojo was in year 5. Both had tons of experience in D1 as assistants.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2019, 11:24:27 PM »
Hank was a rookie D1 head coach, Wojo was in year 5. Both had tons of experience in D1 as assistants.

Hank had 6 years as a college head coach, and had a team loaded with talent that lost in one of the biggest upsets in NCAA tournament history.  MU was ranked 3rd in the nation...this was akin to losing to a 16 or 15 seed.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2019, 11:26:57 PM »
Bullcrap.

This ^^^^^

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2019, 11:35:55 PM »
ACC teams like Duke don’t lose to Mercer or Lehigh...until they do.  ACC teams like UVA don’t lose to UMBC...until they do.

Big East teams like #1 UCONN don’t lose to George Mason....until they do.

And on and on and on.....examples for a long time.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2019, 11:46:02 PM »
Hank had 6 years as a college head coach, and had a team loaded with talent that lost in one of the biggest upsets in NCAA tournament history.  MU was ranked 3rd in the nation...this was akin to losing to a 16 or 15 seed.

Except there were far fewer teams in the tourney then. You were not there obviously.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2019, 11:49:19 PM »

17 - 23 years earlier he coached at the NAIA level (DIII today). Hadn't had his own whistle since then. Only 32 teams, so hardly like a 15 or 16 seed - more like 13. Lots of bad conferences didn't get automatic bids then. No seeding then - we were #3 and would have met #1 (and eventual National Champ) in our S16 (next) game.

Awful loss, but as someone pointed out, Al wasn't the coach. And the double technical/ejection of Jerome which made it all possible was a joke. Wojo's only had 2 bites at the apple, not enough to establish a trend, but when you lose a pick em by 20 and as a 4 point favorite by 19 on the big stage that's just not good.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2019, 06:03:04 AM »
Yup...it happens....we could go through lots and lots of coaches, including Hall of Famers that got their ass kicked in the tournament.....

Whether he needs to very badly win a game or not I am not worried about.  No one on this board from what I can tell has any juice to make that decision, let alone influence it.
Good one there. Comparing Wojos mediocre performance to hall of Famers--deflection at its finest.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2019, 06:05:56 AM »
Yes, dwell in the past if you wish
Some of us choose what era of the past we wish to dwell in.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2019, 06:13:12 AM »
Wojo got them here in the first place....he just landed two more good players....dwell in the past if you wish....

Landed two more good players to once again backfill experience with youth.  We continue to never get old.  The key is to get old and stay old and we just cannot get there. That’s the sad part.  I’m not dwelling on it, I’m bringing up the reality. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2019, 06:22:51 AM »
Al was gone.

I was on campus the day we lost to Miami of Ohio.

Worst day in the history of the Marquette Warrior basketball program.

Defending National Champions NEVER lose to Miami of Boondocks!

Well, almost never.

We went into a 30 year tailspin over that one.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2019, 07:31:22 AM »
We went into a 30 year tailspin over that one.

Don't tell Cheeks that the tailspin ended the year Crean left.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2019, 09:11:07 AM »
My opinion
We lost to Murray St for two reasons.
First one was Howard. He came in with the mission to outplay Murray St.'s star and failed miserably. Just like he generally did when he came up against Powell and Ponds.
Second was that our forwards (Hausers) failed to or were not quick enough to cover the wings when the Murray St. guard pass to the corners for open threes.

It was very easy to see that Murray St. game plan was to suck MU's  defense in  and then pass the ball for open threes that MU could not get back to cover. MU's game plan was to stop Murray St's guard, which just played into Murray St.'s game plan. We simply could not cover the corner threes. Of course the plan fails, if Murray St. does not hit the threes, but MU's defense was exposed in this game.

Somewhat reminds me of Buzz's faulty game plan against North Carolina. Buzz, fearing UNC's fast break on missed threes, went away form our strength. We did not take any outside shots and repeatedly fed the ball to Otule, who failed to score.

Wojo's game plan against Murray St. was bad, but not as bad as Buzz's against UNC.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »
We lost to Murray State because of Ja and team quickness.   Sam was guarded by a 6'4 guy who was quicker and lived in his grill because he knew Sam couldn't go by him.  MU got beat by guards with size repeatedly down the stretch.  Ja was the best of the bunch.   I predicted a double digits loss because of those reasons.
Nobody could stay in front of Ja.   The help was slow, the recovery to shooters slower.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 12:49:21 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2019, 11:51:02 AM »
If Marquette makes the tournament and doesn’t win a game, Wojo’s job is still safe.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2019, 12:03:55 PM »
17 - 23 years earlier he coached at the NAIA level (DIII today). Hadn't had his own whistle since then. Only 32 teams, so hardly like a 15 or 16 seed - more like 13. Lots of bad conferences didn't get automatic bids then. No seeding then - we were #3 and would have met #1 (and eventual National Champ) in our S16 (next) game.

Awful loss, but as someone pointed out, Al wasn't the coach. And the double technical/ejection of Jerome which made it all possible was a joke. Wojo's only had 2 bites at the apple, not enough to establish a trend, but when you lose a pick em by 20 and as a 4 point favorite by 19 on the big stage that's just not good.

Al told me and many others, Hank ran practices, Hank was the x’s and o’s....he had a whistle in his mouth all the time...he had the National player of the year on his team and guys that had just won the title....no way they should have lost that game.  Hank said after game, we were good enough to win the national title.

Miami had lost 2 of their last 3 games coming into that contest....to Eastern Michigan and Toledo.  I realize there were only 32 teams, but you have to remember how bids were given out back then....conference champions only.  Which meant a lot of very good teams, much better than Miami (OH) weren't even in the tournament.  It was equivalent to losing to a 15 or 16 seed.  It was that bad.  The fact that we publically complained about the bracket beforehand and basically dismissed Miami (OH) was not a good look, either.

57% of the betting public was with Murray State

Duke, meanwhile was favored by double digits over Mercer and Lehigh....they lost to both...it happens.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 01:29:25 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2019, 12:04:43 PM »
Good one there. Comparing Wojos mediocre performance to hall of Famers--deflection at its finest.

Hall of Fame coaches with Better talent can lose these games, but a young coach with less is inexcusable.....lol.  Jesus H

feedback