[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How concerning is this?  (Read 42954 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: How concerning is this?
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »

I don’t think you understand how expensive increasing the pool of “qualified applicants” would be. That’s not easy nor is it inexpensive.

And, how increasingly competitive that pool of applicants will become as it shrinks demographically. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2019, 02:36:06 PM »
This is kind a cool model that Marquette may want to look at to see how a fellow Jesuit school is reaching out to the underserved population. 

https://www.luc.edu/arrupe/about/aboutarrupecollege/
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2019, 02:49:23 PM »
This is kind a cool model that Marquette may want to look at to see how a fellow Jesuit school is reaching out to the underserved population. 

https://www.luc.edu/arrupe/about/aboutarrupecollege/

+1. Loyola has been owning Marquette's shorts.  This utilizes their fixed assets, keeps tuition costs reasonable, works to assimilate first generation students, and fills their recruiting pipeline. 

Two year colleges are disproportionately minority because of costs, high school academic resources and students being firsts. These programs are forward-looking as they adapt to the reality of the marketplace. All the while keeping with their core mission...and raising their USNWR rankings.

• All American
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2019, 03:02:36 PM »
+1. Loyola has been owning Marquette's shorts.  This utilizes their fixed assets, keeps tuition costs reasonable, works to assimilate first generation students, and fills their recruiting pipeline. 

Two year colleges are disproportionately minority because of costs, high school academic resources and students being firsts. These programs are forward-looking as they adapt to the reality of the marketplace. All the while keeping with their core mission...and raising their USNWR rankings.

And many of these students succeed better at a two year setting. Without risking as many resources.  I think Marquette should really look at something like this.

And it wouldn’t impact rankings because legally it is a separate institution.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2019, 03:12:00 PM »
And many of these students succeed better at a two year setting. Without risking as many resources.  I think Marquette should really look at something like this.

I read something recently that minority transfers graduate at a higher rate too...like almost 90%. Assimilation programs are very successful for all students actually for the cost.  And, we have thousands of alumni willing to volunteer to be mentors. Start with the petition list.

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2019, 05:12:32 PM »

Marquette has established transfer agreements with MATC and Oakton Community College, an Illinois community college with campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie. Not sure if there are other partnerships in the pipeline.

https://www.marquette.edu/explore/transfer-students-matc-guaranteed-admission.php

https://today.marquette.edu/2019/02/marquette-partners-with-oakton-community-college-to-smooth-transfer-process/

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2019, 06:09:51 PM »
Marquette has established transfer agreements with MATC and Oakton Community College, an Illinois community college with campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie. Not sure if there are other partnerships in the pipeline.

https://www.marquette.edu/explore/transfer-students-matc-guaranteed-admission.php

https://today.marquette.edu/2019/02/marquette-partners-with-oakton-community-college-to-smooth-transfer-process/

Also with Elgin Community College.
Have some patience, FFS.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2019, 06:23:41 PM »
Honest question:  who is the "they" you're referring to in this sentence?  It seems to me that Marquette's recent focus suggests that "they" (i.e., the powers that be at Marquette) aren't really saying that "they" want to be a "National University."  Of course "they" will welcome students from all over, but the emphasis seems to be shifting to a more regional approach.

Not trying to be a smart ass here, I'm just wondering what you're referring to.

Yes, I’m referring to the administration and there IS language to that effect in the strategic plan.  If that’s not the direction they want to take, I can accept that even if I don’t agree with it, but then they should remove those aspirational claims and not say one thing and do another.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2019, 06:28:57 PM »
I graduated in the mid-80's so I am speaking from an anecdotal angle that might be a little better than yours. There is no way that 40% of Marquette students were from the East Coast.  If you don't believe me, pull up some yearbooks from that time period.  They contain the permanent addresses of all of the graduating seniors.

http://cdm16280.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4007hilltop/id/15390

Also, what makes you think you can gauge the number of students from the East Coast based on the people who show up for Marquette Club functions in NYC?  Did it ever occur to you that transplants might need to network more than homegrown folks and that's why they participate?

I agree the 40% figure is probably exaggerated, but I was told roughly that number by more than 1 MU administrator in admissions both whom had been there a while during my tenure as well as other alums anecdotally.  Even if the actual figure is only half that, which could very well be true, that’s a lot more than they get from the region today, that’s the point I’m trying to make.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2019, 07:19:42 PM »
I agree the 40% figure is probably exaggerated, but I was told roughly that number by more than 1 MU administrator in admissions both whom had been there a while during my tenure as well as other alums anecdotally.  Even if the actual figure is only half that, which could very well be true, that’s a lot more than they get from the region today, that’s the point I’m trying to make.

I recently learned that Xavier has been pulling 2-3 times as many students from Connecticut than Marquette as well as in Massachusetts.  Was surprised at the numbers and did not expect.  I figured they would have been relatively equal.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2019, 07:51:30 PM »
Slightly off/on topic .. didn't Marquette once make a big push to get students from Guam?

Boone

• All American
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2019, 07:59:21 PM »
Not sure about Marquette, but freshman year I made a big push on a coed from Guam
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:25:54 PM by Boone »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2019, 08:02:23 PM »
Slightly off/on topic .. didn't Marquette once make a big push to get students from Guam?

Raises hand.

Leo Flynn, from Admissions, went to Guam every year. He came to my high school and was, without a doubt, the primary reason I ended up at Marquette.

I think there was 15-20 of us in ‘87. My recollection is that MU had more kids from Guam than any school not on the west coast.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:05:19 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2019, 08:04:30 PM »
I recently learned that Xavier has been pulling 2-3 times as many students from Connecticut than Marquette as well as in Massachusetts.  Was surprised at the numbers and did not expect.  I figured they would have been relatively equal.

Cincinnati is 4 hours closer to Connecticut than Milwaukee is.  That might have something to do with it.

Here is a dashboard that shows the class of 2022 by state (Click on location):

https://www.marquette.edu/oira/fresh-dash.shtml
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2019, 08:06:41 PM »
Cincinnati is 4 hours closer to Connecticut than Milwaukee is.  That might have something to do with it.

I would be surprised if someone is making the call based on a 12 vs 16 hour drive twice a year. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:02:37 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2019, 08:34:17 PM »
Raises hand.

Leo Flynn, from Admissions, went to Guam every year. He came to my high school and was, without a doubt, the primary reason I ended up at Marquette.

I think there was 15-20 of us in ‘87. My recollection is that MU had more kids from Guam than any school not on the west coast.

I still have my Leo B Flynn signed letter of acceptance.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2019, 08:57:26 PM »
Also with Elgin Community College.

Let's add Hutchinson and Indian Hills to the list too.

• All American
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2019, 09:03:52 PM »

This is good. I can see advantages to operating your own Juco though. It’s more expensive obviously.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2019, 09:11:24 PM »

I really want that to be true and I hope it is because even though it's an excuse/alibi it would be a valid one.  My gut says it's not though.  Where MUFANCT and I come from, as many graduating seniors attend colleges half way or completely across the country as they do stay within 200 miles so I don't think that's it.  I know Xavier isn't halfway across the country from here but it's far enough, and chances are with the exception maybe of traveling there for the start of Freshman year, I'll bet most of those students are flying not driving.  If the school you're attending is far enough away to warrant the expense of flying, whether you're on the plane for 1.5 hours or 4 hours is inconsequential.  At least it would be to me.  MU's marketing and popularity in this region is inferior to Xavier's, but I don't buy that slightly closer proximity is the reason.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:13:35 PM by Disco Hippie »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2019, 09:28:56 PM »
I really want that to be true and I hope it is because even though it's an excuse/alibi it would be a valid one.  My gut says it's not though.  Where MUFANCT and I come from, as many graduating seniors attend colleges half way or completely across the country as they do stay within 200 miles so I don't think that's it.  I know Xavier isn't halfway across the country from here but it's far enough, and chances are with the exception maybe of traveling there for the start of Freshman year, I'll bet most of those students are flying not driving.  If the school you're attending is far enough away to warrant the expense of flying, whether you're on the plane for 1.5 hours or 4 hours is inconsequential.  At least it would be to me.  MU's marketing and popularity in this region is inferior to Xavier's, but I don't buy that slightly closer proximity is the reason.

Fair enough. 
Have some patience, FFS.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2019, 11:11:05 PM »
Fair enough.
[/quote

XU's basketball program has also unfortunately performed better than ours over the last 5 years so that probably has a lot to do with the disparity MU Fan in CT cited.  Probably more than anything else I'd guess. 

• All American
« Reply #222 on: September 12, 2019, 08:24:18 AM »

I think MUFICT said that his daughter would have come to MU if they would have matched XU's scholarship offer.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #223 on: September 12, 2019, 11:53:51 AM »
I think MUFICT said that his daughter would have come to MU if they would have matched XU's scholarship offer.

Correct.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #224 on: September 12, 2019, 12:11:18 PM »

Thats interesting,  different strokes for different folks. Visited there, only time, with a son for baseball and both of us couldnt get out of there fast enough.  Found virtually nothing appealing whatsoever, Apart from the baseball program, the whole campus and school was too much of a negative. He went elsewhere.
Put my oldest thru MU including grad school.  Youngest son there now
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback