Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 210363 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #1050 on: October 03, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »
But again, if kids want to make money off their likeness, go right ahead. But tell me why then they should be allowed to be eligible for post season play??

Why not?

Or should college athletes just be able to "rule the roost" and do whatever they please without rules??

No one is saying this.  We are saying the rules should be changed to allow it.

There's rules for everything in this world. This makes them decide what's more important to them, making money off their likeness or being eligible to play in post season competition. One or the other...not both.

Again, why not?  I keep asking you why the rules can't be changed and you don't answer.  You just say "its the rule."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1051 on: October 03, 2019, 02:34:13 PM »
Why not?

No one is saying this.  We are saying the rules should be changed to allow it.

Again, why not?  I keep asking you why the rules can't be changed and you don't answer.  You just say "its the rule."

Why should they be changed?? It's been the rule and everyone has known that. It's not like everyone hasn't been playing under the same rules.

Kids especially need to learn they have choices to make sometimes, what's more important to them? If we cater to them, then lets just start giving hand outs to everyone, no consequences, no nothing. Let's make everything fair for every living human being in the world. Life doesn't work like that, nor should it...ever.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1052 on: October 03, 2019, 02:37:58 PM »
STOP SPREADING DISINFORMATION ON THESE ITEMS

Student athletes CAN have jobs.  Student athletes CAN mometize on YouTube videos. Student athletes CAN start their own businesses.  The lack of knowledge here on this topic and the repeated falsehoods that they cannot is breathtaking.

You may want to include the fact that athletes can’t promote they ARE athletes or the products while showing any affiliation with said university.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/college-football/2017/07/31/NCAA-statement-still-allows-stars-to-cash-in-on-YouTube
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1053 on: October 03, 2019, 02:41:54 PM »
Why should they be changed?? It's been the rule and everyone has known that. It's not like everyone hasn't been playing under the same rules.

Kids especially need to learn they have choices to make sometimes, what's more important to them? If we cater to them, then lets just start giving hand outs to everyone, no consequences, no nothing. Let's make everything fair for every living human being in the world. Life doesn't work like that, nor should it...ever.

Well first, they aren't kids.  They're adults.

Second, I simply don't understand the what you are saying in the second paragraph.  Frankly you are coming off as someone who just doesn't want change because they don't like change.  Which is fine.  Just don't manufacture arguments.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: October 03, 2019, 02:43:58 PM »
You may want to include the fact that athletes can’t promote they ARE athletes or the products while showing any affiliation with said university.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/college-football/2017/07/31/NCAA-statement-still-allows-stars-to-cash-in-on-YouTube

So?? What he posted said that very clearly. But the point was..they can have you tube channels for money, right?? It says that right in the story he posted. Oh wait...are you implying that without the "athlete" label, their likeness isn't worth much??  ::)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1055 on: October 03, 2019, 02:53:59 PM »
So?? What he posted said that very clearly. But the point was..they can have you tube channels for money, right?? It says that right in the story he posted. Oh wait...are you implying that without the "athlete" label, their likeness isn't worth much??  ::)

They can’t use their athletic skills to promote it, which is silly
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: October 03, 2019, 02:55:56 PM »
Not if the NCAA wins in the courts....all kinds of "change" that got thwarted by the law.  But if it does go through, I hope you and others will think kindly for all those student athletes that will lose those opportunities as schools cut back.  Mostly women and minorities.  What a great movement you will be a part of to help the 1%.  You should be proud...maybe you can print t-shirts that you were on the right side of history for the 1% and then give those to the student athletes that no longer can compete because their programs were abolished in cutbacks. 

Which athletic program will you be backing the future?  Which really large state school with huge alumni base and untold resources to buy players? I'm just curious

Highly unlikely the NCAA will want to test this in the courts. I see compromise. I will continue to support Marquette, as I have for years. I dislike your politics so I will refrain from responding to your other comments.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1057 on: October 03, 2019, 04:03:31 PM »
That is false. Demonstrably false.  What they cannot do is monetize as a student athlete and bring that into effort. For the same reason a fireman in Milwaukee cannot wear his uniform and monetize off it without permission, there are rules.  But the fireman can monetize without being known as a fireman, the same way a student athlete not wearing a uniform and not representing their association as a student athlete can.

This is false. Demonstrably false. There is nothing to prevent me from identifying my position and using my likeness to profit off my profession. There was literally a billboard of a Milwaukee firefighter identifying himself as a firefighter to advertise for his side job as a real estate agent located across from MFD headquarters downtown.

And again, moving the goalposts. Can you just once in your life make a post without false equivalencies and goalpost shifting, or is it so intrinsic to your being that it's become an imperative?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: October 03, 2019, 04:05:14 PM »
Highly unlikely the NCAA will want to test this in the courts. I see compromise. I will continue to support Marquette, as I have for years. I dislike your politics so I will refrain from responding to your other comments.
Compromise, definitely. I could see the NCAA arguing that these individuals were basically unrecognizable before they played for a college team. They are going to want their $hare. If there is a clearinghouse to determine legitimate likeness contracts, how long will it take to pass through the clearinghouse?

My position is pay the players a salary, sign them to exclusive licensing deals through the University and give them a percentage of the shoe contracts, jersey sales (start putting names back on jerseys-paying former players as well-who wouldn't want a retro Butch Lee jersey), video games...etc

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1059 on: October 03, 2019, 05:04:02 PM »
Which athletic program will you be backing the future?  Which really large state school with huge alumni base and untold resources to buy players? I'm just curious

Just curious. If players being allowed to profit off their likeness is going to allow the really large state schools with huge alumni bases and untold resources to buy players to dominate...then why do you keep quoting athletic directors at those same kinds of schools as being against this? Wouldn't they want this to happen if it was going to let them dominate?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: October 03, 2019, 05:08:09 PM »
Just curious. If players being allowed to profit off their likeness is going to allow the really large state schools with huge alumni bases and untold resources to buy players to dominate...then why do you keep quoting athletic directors at those same kinds of schools as being against this? Wouldn't they want this to happen if it was going to let them dominate?

E-sports is now a MU sport in the MUAD.  Anyone want to bet that these SAs will get the biggest deals?

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #1061 on: October 03, 2019, 05:18:16 PM »
UHm, yes....we are a nation of laws, not of men.
God you’re boring.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: October 03, 2019, 05:20:51 PM »
To reach your conclusion you, like Cheeks, are cherrypicking which revenues you deem valid and which are not.

And you're not being entirely accurate in describing the university allocation as "things that could and should go to educational purposes."
Much of that money comes in the form of student fees that are imposed specifically to support athletics.  A very good argument can be made as to whether or not students should be charged fees to support the athletic department, but it's obviously wrong to state that that money would otherwise be going to "educational purposes."
That university allocation also includes indirect support, like use of HR and IT staff, accounting, utilities and building maintenance.

So your answer is, they can't possibly lose money ever, because the University can just allocate more funds to them, which will count as revenue? And to hide the fact that they are using tuition dollars to fund athletics, we'll just create a mandatory fee, in lieu of a tuition increase, to help balance the budget, so it doesn't count as "education dollars". That is wholeheartedly illogical.

The fees are not an option, they are assigned to all students, and in most cases do not clearly indicate an amount for athletics. It is not revenue, its an artificial support for athletic departments that cannot support themselves.

Similarly, if the athletic department requires HR, IT, accounting, utilities and maintenance to function, and they cannot support that from their own revenue, they are not making a profit. Counting those internal gifts as revenue is frankly, absurd.

I'm not cherry picking anything.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: October 03, 2019, 05:40:30 PM »
The competitions have a winner, they win money for their organization. Yes the ultimate outcome is about incentivizing innovation but there are still winners and losers. And oh by the way, college sports isn't just about winning and losing, it's about raising the universities profile and visibility so they can attract more students.
"College sports isn't about winning and losing"?

Come on, this is going off the rails now.

Ask the fans, players, coaches, bookies, Vegas and online sports books, individual betters if it is about winning and losing. Every single person who buys the tickets and watches or listens to the games, i.e. the entire revenue stream of college sports, is in it for the winning and losing.

Maybe the NCAA can institute a rule that no scores will be kept and everyone gets a blue ribbon. I'm sure the networks and ESPN and Fox Sports will shell out big bucks for that.

And I can only hope when you say 'college sports' above you mean major college basketball and football because I don't think the air rifle or cross-country teams at any school raises the profile and visibility of the institutions. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 05:49:58 PM by WhiteTrash »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: October 03, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »
That's correct, different folks get different benefits.  Welcome to the world.  Why are we forcing conformity?   College athletes work harder...that is your opinion.  They may work harder at their craft in those 20 hours a week, but they may also not be taking the course load or course difficult.  I'm not going to pretend to say someone is working harder than the physics student, the nursing student with their clinicals, the PT student, or any other.  I do know that the world has different benefits for all kinds of people, and student athletes get some of the absolute best.

Cool. The physics student, the nursing student, the PT student, or any other ... all of them control their own likenesses and can profit off of them without losing "eligibility."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: October 03, 2019, 10:04:21 PM »
So your answer is, they can't possibly lose money ever, because the University can just allocate more funds to them, which will count as revenue?

Yeah, I never wrote this or anything like this. Please don't become Cheeks Lite. Do better.

The fees are not an option, they are assigned to all students, and in most cases do not clearly indicate an amount for athletics. It is not revenue, its an artificial support for athletic departments that cannot support themselves.

If you don't think it's revenue, then you don't know what that word means.
Again, you can disagree with whether schools should do this, but it is revenue and it's not taking money away from educational purposes.

Similarly, if the athletic department requires HR, IT, accounting, utilities and maintenance to function, and they cannot support that from their own revenue, they are not making a profit. Counting those internal gifts as revenue is frankly, absurd.

What would be absurd - not to mention wasteful and expensive - would be for universities to create separate HR, IT, maintenance, etc., divisions just for the athletic department, especially the smaller schools.
And who described that as revenue? I cited it one of the ways universities support the athletic department that isn't taking money from educational programs (as you said all such support does).

I'm not cherry picking anything.

You are. To back your initially claim that the "vast majority" of ADs are losing "fortunes" you need to cherry pick which revenue streams you want counted and which you don't.
That's fine.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: October 03, 2019, 10:23:16 PM »
Yeah, I never wrote this or anything like this. Please don't become Cheeks Lite. Do better.

If you don't think it's revenue, then you don't know what that word means.
Again, you can disagree with whether schools should do this, but it is revenue and it's not taking money away from educational purposes.

What would be absurd - not to mention wasteful and expensive - would be for universities to create separate HR, IT, maintenance, etc., divisions just for the athletic department, especially the smaller schools.
And who described that as revenue? I cited it one of the ways universities support the athletic department that isn't taking money from educational programs (as you said all such support does).

You are. To back your initially claim that the "vast majority" of ADs are losing "fortunes" you need to cherry pick which revenue streams you want counted and which you don't.
That's fine.

Well, we are going to disagree. I'm confident in my understanding of University funding and athletic funding to say/know that what I say is correct. My statements, and my original claim, are also backed up by the actual accounting in your link.

And regarding "who described it as revenue", your article did. The NCAA and the article allow indirect support in the form you describe to be counted as revenue. They also do not require an equivalent offsetting expense for those services.

The cost for those services come out of the Universities general operating budget, meant to pay for educational services. It amounts, often to millions a year, that money is directly taken away from educational purposes.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 10:33:34 PM by forgetful »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1067 on: October 03, 2019, 10:34:46 PM »

The statement, falsely made, was student athletes can not monetize their likeness on YouTube.  That is dead wrong.  Are there rules?  Yes.  The same reason there are rules for lots of people on YouTube and specific organizations on what can and cannot be done.  The statement was false.  Period.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1068 on: October 03, 2019, 10:36:24 PM »
They can’t use their athletic skills to promote it, which is silly

Yes, they actually can.  What they cannot say who they play for, wear a uniform, etc, etc.  Just as the policeman from Los Angeles cannot wear his uniform and monetize either without permission.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1069 on: October 03, 2019, 10:37:35 PM »

LOL. Uhm, they are definitely going to test this in the courts for any number of reasons, including having 10 different states, or 50 states with different versions of insanity.  They are definitely going to take this to the courts as they should.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1070 on: October 03, 2019, 10:38:28 PM »
This is false. Demonstrably false. There is nothing to prevent me from identifying my position and using my likeness to profit off my profession. There was literally a billboard of a Milwaukee firefighter identifying himself as a firefighter to advertise for his side job as a real estate agent located across from MFD headquarters downtown.

And again, moving the goalposts. Can you just once in your life make a post without false equivalencies and goalpost shifting, or is it so intrinsic to your being that it's become an imperative?

You better read your own county and city guidelines on what can and cannot be done in the uniform lieutenant.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1071 on: October 03, 2019, 10:39:04 PM »
God you’re boring.

So boring you bother to notice and respond....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1072 on: October 03, 2019, 10:40:27 PM »
Cool. The physics student, the nursing student, the PT student, or any other ... all of them control their own likenesses and can profit off of them without losing "eligibility."

Cool, the student athlete gets benefits those students can only dream of.  Life is so unfair.  Nice to see you are in the 1% camp....I always knew you were.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: October 03, 2019, 10:50:29 PM »
Cool, the student athlete gets benefits those students can only dream of.  Life is so unfair.  Nice to see you are in the 1% camp....I always knew you were.

Huh? Go back on your meds, man.

You sound very angry today.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1074 on: October 03, 2019, 11:18:16 PM »
You clearly haven't checked in awhile. Standards to equalize it have existed for a long time. Welcome to the 21st century.

And again...moving the goalposts away from what you don't want to talk about.

LOL.  Really.  So someone that is blind can be a fireman?  Someone that is 95?  Someone that can lift 15 lbs only?  Nope.  Nope.  Nope.  #HarrisonBergeron
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:20:38 PM by Cheeks »