[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206293 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #875 on: October 01, 2019, 07:51:51 PM »
This isn’t going to generate much revenue.

it's for the children though, eenn'er?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #876 on: October 01, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »
  read between the lines...Ca needs money...lots of it...he sees "revenue" baby...just sharing the love

Yup.  That was discussed on the show today.  This is a way to tax and that means revenues.  It was brought up as one of the reasons why they want to do this.  These Guys don’t give a damn about these kids, but more money into state coffers....you got their attention.  E.g Cigarettes = cancer sticks .... no problem....just tax them and look the other way.  If there is a pot of gold at the end of that rainbow, the eyes light up.  Yup, it was definitely one of the subjects on the show.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #877 on: October 01, 2019, 08:00:33 PM »
The INCREDIBLY well respected Darren Rovell with the grand slam homerun on this...

Darren Rovell
@darrenrovell
·
22h
I’m not arguing for or against college athlete endorsements, but this is what comes with it: 1. The end of the NCAA, 2. Fewer rules, more cheating, 3. Complete professionalization of college sports — players won’t be tied to academics, likely won’t need to go to class.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #878 on: October 01, 2019, 08:15:18 PM »
The INCREDIBLY well respected Darren Rovell with the grand slam homerun on this...

Darren Rovell
@darrenrovell
·
22h
I’m not arguing for or against college athlete endorsements, but this is what comes with it: 1. The end of the NCAA, 2. Fewer rules, more cheating, 3. Complete professionalization of college sports — players won’t be tied to academics, likely won’t need to go to class.

DOOMED! WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #879 on: October 01, 2019, 08:17:11 PM »

Darren Rovell
@darrenrovell
·
22h

no good deed goes unpunished-this is going to be a holy steaming pile of mess

"send lawyers, guns and money"    lots of it!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:18:46 PM by rocket surgeon »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #880 on: October 01, 2019, 08:18:02 PM »

Darren Rovell
@darrenrovell
·
22h

You lost me at incredibly well respected.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #881 on: October 01, 2019, 08:19:27 PM »

Lol. Exactly. “The end of the NCAA?”

I mean...how?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #882 on: October 01, 2019, 08:22:12 PM »

so you took him off your Christmas card list

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #883 on: October 01, 2019, 08:28:20 PM »
  up next...high school...ah, what the hell, junior high?  sign em up

not the end of the ncaa, but it's not going to clean anything up.  i just hope i will be able to afford to watch em...on t.v. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #884 on: October 01, 2019, 08:42:11 PM »
Andy Staples has been a long, rationale thinking pragmatist on this subject.  He is also a former player.  He wrote this earlier this year:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/college-football/2019/05/14/ncaa-working-group-schools-compensation-options-for-athletes
That was significantly better than the easy and uneducated "let's bash the NCAA because it sells" garbage filling up the internet and newspapers these days.

That said, he, and others, are being disingenuous to paint the issue as though universities are simply opposed to athletes making money. This change will create legitimate inequalities in college sports (mostly basketball and football). Are there already inequalities and illegal payments to athletes? Absolutely.  There are also crimes of theft everyday but that does not justy making theft legal.

Look, Gene Smith conceded today that OSU would benefit the most from this change but he is opposed to it. Why?

I don't care if the NCAA survives. I don't care if student athletes get paid. I care about a level playing field, otherwise it is no different than pro wrestling.

Pure and simple, the California law makes these athletes professionals. (FACT:Stanford golfers will no longer be eligible for the USGA Amatuer Championship). So be it, but the NCAA or the new governing body must institute revenue sharing and salary caps or the house of cards will fall.

Pro sports figured it out years ago so that the Green Bay Packers, KC Royals, etc. could still exist.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #885 on: October 01, 2019, 08:44:53 PM »
Agreed. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #886 on: October 01, 2019, 08:57:29 PM »
If you listened to Newsome on our show today to say he over reached and has no grasp of the subject other than platitudes would be kind.  He basically is saying we want to force the NCAA’s hand on this, we have no solution at all, our solution sucks balls, so ncaa you find a better solution because we aren’t smart enough to do it ourselves.  Ready...Go.   And if you don’t do it, well we will have destroyed a system or product as we have done in many other areas, but too bad.

It was cringe worthy.

I may think Newsome is an idiot but hes spot on, this is about forcing the NCAA's hand  and I 100% support it. The states shouldn't have to have a solution they aren't profiting off the backs of young adults
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #887 on: October 01, 2019, 08:58:52 PM »

Darren Rovell
@darrenrovell
·
22h

Saying Rovell is respected is like saying Maury Povich was a documentarian
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #888 on: October 01, 2019, 09:01:06 PM »

not the end of the ncaa, but it's not going to clean anything up.  i just hope i will be able to afford to watch em...on t.v.

18 year olds can fight in endless wars but by all means let's keep them from making some money off their likeness.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #889 on: October 01, 2019, 09:03:09 PM »
That was significantly better than the easy and uneducated "let's bash the NCAA because it sells" garbage filling up the internet and newspapers these days.

That said, he, and others, are being disingenuous to paint the issue as though universities are simply opposed to athletes making money. This change will create legitimate inequalities in college sports (mostly basketball and football). Are there already inequalities and illegal payments to athletes? Absolutely.  There are also crimes of theft everyday but that does not justy making theft legal.

Look, Gene Smith conceded today that OSU would benefit the most from this change but he is opposed to it. Why?

I don't care if the NCAA survives. I don't care if student athletes get paid. I care about a level playing field, otherwise it is no different than pro wrestling.

Pure and simple, the California law makes these athletes professionals. (FACT:Stanford golfers will no longer be eligible for the USGA Amatuer Championship). So be it, but the NCAA or the new governing body must institute revenue sharing and salary caps or the house of cards will fall.

Pro sports figured it out years ago so that the Green Bay Packers, KC Royals, etc. could still exist.

How? Where is all this money coming from that's going to generate all this inequity? Do you think there is some billionaire OSU donor that's sitting on cash waiting to pay a Justin Fields type to just come to campus?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #890 on: October 01, 2019, 09:05:50 PM »
18 year olds can fight in endless wars but by all means let's keep them from making some money off their likeness.

What about the students who aren't athletes who's likenesses are printed all over pamphlet's etc to give to prospective new students??  Shouldn't they also be compensated for their likenesses?? Because I would guarantee, at some point, a normal student will file a lawsuit over something exactly like that.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #891 on: October 01, 2019, 09:09:07 PM »

The NCAA has shown little interest (I'm being generous here) in cleaning up college athletics for decades.  Why should the state of California?
And why does "cleaning up" college athletics need to be an outcome for this legislation? This wasn't done to benefit the NCAA or serve its interests.  It was done to benefit the athletes.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:13:03 PM by Pakuni »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #892 on: October 01, 2019, 09:16:46 PM »
What about the students who aren't athletes who's likenesses are printed all over pamphlet's etc to give to prospective new students??  Shouldn't they also be compensated for their likenesses?? Because I would guarantee, at some point, a normal student will file a lawsuit over something exactly like that.

Taking pictures of students in public parts of the campus is perfectly legal. No compensation needed. Oftentimes colleges will pay students for staged photos. Like a gift certificate to the bookstore or something like that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #893 on: October 01, 2019, 09:24:57 PM »
And now Illinois is joining the fray.

What's Barry going to do without Illinois and Northwestern to kick around?

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20191001/what-if-college-athletes-could-get-paid-here-hillside-legislator-proposes-it

MU82

• All American
« Reply #894 on: October 01, 2019, 09:25:20 PM »
What an epic mess this is going to be.  We had Gavin Newsome on the DP show today and his lack of knowledge on the subject and what this will do is staggering.

Politics. As usual.

I may think Newsome is an idiot but hes spot on, this is about forcing the NCAA's hand  and I 100% support it. The states shouldn't have to have a solution they aren't profiting off the backs of young adults

Yep.

I agree with Sultan, but it wouldn't bother me in the least if a "normal student" profits off his or her likeness. One thing for sure, if that student DOES profit, he or she will not be ruled ineligible for the debate team or the school choir or student media or the dance troupe.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #895 on: October 01, 2019, 09:27:19 PM »
How? Where is all this money coming from that's going to generate all this inequity? Do you think there is some billionaire OSU donor that's sitting on cash waiting to pay a Justin Fields type to just come to campus?
First, I did not say OSU would benefit the most, Gene Smith did. He did allude to the massive alumni base and corporations in Columbus that would get behind the effort to out spend for the best players. He said that OSU and about four other Power 5 schools will blow away the other 60 in spending for recruits.

This is hardly news. This a proven, known fact related to competitive balance in sports and the ability to provide a product that the public will watch. I don't get why you think anyone is suggesting anything new much less something irrational.

Even Jerry Jones knows that the NFL can not operate as a  pure free market enterprise. If Chicago, New York and LA dominate the NFL and the Cowboys winning the next 25 Super Bowls, most fans (even Cowboy fans) will stop watching and the money will dry up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #896 on: October 01, 2019, 09:34:20 PM »
First, I did not say OSU would benefit the most, Gene Smith did. He did allude to the massive alumni base and corporations in Columbus that would get behind the effort to out spend for the best players. He said that OSU and about four other Power 5 schools will blow away the other 60 in spending for recruits.

I don't agree with Gene Smith. He is biased on this subject, as so many of us are. I don't know why his view is any more legitimate than Jay Bilas' is. Or yours. Or mine.

It's gonna happen, and it will be sooner than later. So we'll all find out who was "right" and "wrong" here.

All I know is that just about every time there has been a doomsday prediction about something or other "ruining" or "decimating" this sport or that, it has turned out to be a wild exaggeration that did not come true.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #897 on: October 01, 2019, 09:36:01 PM »

So what you're saying is that the large, wealthy athletic departments will leverage their ability to outspend their rivals in order to land the top players?
Can't imagine what the college landscape would look like if that happens.
Wait, I can.
From Wetzel's column:

Consider this: In the past three years in football recruiting there have been 97 players ranked as 5-star recruits by Rivals.com. Five schools (Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State and LSU) signed a combined 55 of them, leaving just 42 for the remaining 125 FBS schools. Five schools got nearly 57 percent of the best players.
The current top five teams in the weekly AP poll? No. 1. Alabama. 2. Clemson. 3. Georgia. 4. Ohio State. 5. LSU.

Shall we talk about what percent of 5-star basketball players wind up at Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kerntukcy and Arizona?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:38:07 PM by Pakuni »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #898 on: October 01, 2019, 09:37:45 PM »

That's governed by public use laws....apples and spaceships

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #899 on: October 01, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »
  read between the lines...Ca needs money...lots of it...he sees "revenue" baby...just sharing the love
California has a $21B, as in billion, budget surplus.  But I guess it is easier to spew ignorant misinformation that it is to do even a cursory search.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback