[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206273 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #850 on: October 01, 2019, 01:20:51 PM »
No, but a coach will reach out to boosters and corporate sponsors and ask for them to have a player "endorse" their business.  Businesses aren't going to care about how much these kids will generate in terms of revenue, they'll be more interested in helping the program. Markus will be the face of Allen Edmonds, Theo a local Coca Cola bottler, etc. It will be a huge recruiting advantage for particular schools.
The big name players will be having agents do this. I am still curious to see if there will be exclusive licensing agreements. Does the California law have a minimum age requirement?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #851 on: October 01, 2019, 01:58:31 PM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #852 on: October 01, 2019, 02:02:07 PM »
The big name players will be having agents do this. I am still curious to see if there will be exclusive licensing agreements. Does the California law have a minimum age requirement?

CA has a living wage law.  For Berkeley, they have their own which is higher than the state... for UC that is about $1 million per year...which puts them on par with Lawrence KS for basketball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #853 on: October 01, 2019, 02:02:51 PM »
What an epic mess this is going to be.  We had Gavin Newsome on the DP show today and his lack of knowledge on the subject and what this will do is staggering.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #854 on: October 01, 2019, 02:15:32 PM »
CA has a living wage law.  For Berkeley, they have their own which is higher than the state... for UC that is about $1 million per year...which puts them on par with Lawrence KS for basketball.
So, could this hypothetical work. Jordan Brand signs #1 ranked player in the class of 2022 to an exclusive licensing agreement- 5 years- $5million. (that would cover him 3 years high school, 1 year college, 1 year pro).  Sounds good for both sides. Problem is the funnelling to certain schools. How do we get that out in the open. We need full transparency if this is to work.

Will California, or other state law, or NCAA rules allow for exclusive NIL rights agreements?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #855 on: October 01, 2019, 02:23:59 PM »
So, could this hypothetical work. Jordan Brand signs #1 ranked player in the class of 2022 to an exclusive licensing agreement- 5 years- $5million. (that would cover him 3 years high school, 1 year college, 1 year pro).  Sounds good for both sides. Problem is the funnelling to certain schools. How do we get that out in the open. We need full transparency if this is to work.

Will California, or other state law, or NCAA rules allow for exclusive NIL rights agreements?

Why does it matter if the player is funnelled to a certain school?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #856 on: October 01, 2019, 02:28:28 PM »

We don't know yet because the California law will be lose a legal challenge and the NCAA will be coming up with some new reform to accommodate NIL. TBD
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #857 on: October 01, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #858 on: October 01, 2019, 03:30:02 PM »
We don't know yet because the California law will be lose a legal challenge and the NCAA will be coming up with some new reform to accommodate NIL. TBD

You've said this several times. Curious as to why you believe so.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #859 on: October 01, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »
More debunking the bunk

https://mgoblog.com/content/it%27s-bad-amateurism-argument-time
Well that piece of "journalism" does nothing to move the compensation for athletes argument forward. I think your side of the argument would be better served by thoughtful analysis as opposed to pseudo journalistic, click bait opinions that pander to the NCAA is evil crowd.

Right or wrong the NCAA control of major college basketball and football is coming to a close. There will be winners and losers from this. It is not all good nor all bad.

I think those who are dancing on the NCAA grave are going to be very disappointed with the final results but even so, it may be better the the status quo.

Also, IMO, I think the hand wringing and emotions tied to the issue right now will seem minor compared to when the IRS gets involved. Then we'll see some real changes to college sports. (get ready for the 500 page threads)

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #860 on: October 01, 2019, 06:06:23 PM »
Well that piece of "journalism" does nothing to move the compensation for athletes argument forward. I think your side of the argument would be better served by thoughtful analysis as opposed to pseudo journalistic, click bait opinions that pander to the NCAA is evil crowd.

Right or wrong the NCAA control of major college basketball and football is coming to a close. There will be winners and losers from this. It is not all good nor all bad.

I think those who are dancing on the NCAA grave are going to be very disappointed with the final results but even so, it may be better the the status quo.

Also, IMO, I think the hand wringing and emotions tied to the issue right now will seem minor compared to when the IRS gets involved. Then we'll see some real changes to college sports. (get ready for the 500 page threads)

Andy Staples has been a long, rationale thinking pragmatist on this subject.  He is also a former player.  He wrote this earlier this year:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/college-football/2019/05/14/ncaa-working-group-schools-compensation-options-for-athletes

“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #861 on: October 01, 2019, 06:09:28 PM »
You've said this several times. Curious as to why you believe so.

Because the California law includes the language that the NCAA cannot rule those who athletes that "participate" in the law ineligible. IMO the states do not have the power to dictate NCAA policy as it's a private, national organization.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muguru

• All American
« Reply #862 on: October 01, 2019, 06:13:32 PM »
Interesting

https://twitter.com/historyrunner/status/1178849636389273600?s=21

LOL of COURSE players and former players are for it. This WILL lead to(eventually), schools paying players directly. The funny thing is, it seems ONLY the general public is so against the NCAA(believe me, I'm not a fan myself). The conferences, and AD's and Universities all seem to be united on this issue. Amazing, isn't it?? So if the NCAA has the backing of their membership, which it seems they do probably unanimously, why should they cave to the general public?? They do that, it pisses off the membership, that's terrible PR if you ask me.

This is actually probably not happening at a great time for those who want it...the NCAA membership has been pleading with the NCAA to get tougher on cheaters etc. Well, if they start taking a hard line stance on that(and the KU allegations are a start), why would they suddenly cave on this??

This seems like an easy compromise IF there needs to be one...Okay star QB, you want to sign a likeness deal, go right ahead, but then you MUST pay for your own schooling(no more scholarship for you), AND oh yeah, you will NOT under any circumstances be eligible to play with your team in the post season. You can watch your teammates participate, but not you. You want the $$ or play in the post season?? take your pick, but you aren't getting both. 100% within the NCAA's rights to do this too. Not a single entity could stop them.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #863 on: October 01, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »
LOL of COURSE players and former players are for it. This WILL lead to(eventually), schools paying players directly. The funny thing is, it seems ONLY the general public is so against the NCAA(believe me, I'm not a fan myself). The conferences, and AD's and Universities all seem to be united on this issue. Amazing, isn't it?? So if the NCAA has the backing of their membership, which it seems they do probably unanimously, why should they cave to the general public?? They do that, it pisses off the membership, that's terrible PR if you ask me.

This is actually probably not happening at a great time for those who want it...the NCAA membership has been pleading with the NCAA to get tougher on cheaters etc. Well, if they start taking a hard line stance on that(and the KU allegations are a start), why would they suddenly cave on this??

This seems like an easy compromise IF there needs to be one...Okay star QB, you want to sign a likeness deal, go right ahead, but then you MUST pay for your own schooling(no more scholarship for you), AND oh yeah, you will NOT under any circumstances be eligible to play with your team in the post season. You can watch your teammates participate, but not you. You want the $$ or play in the post season?? take your pick, but you aren't getting both. 100% within the NCAA's rights to do this too. Not a single entity could stop them.

Laughable

The universities pleading for tougher regulation is pure PR. If they actually wanted change it would happen

muguru

• All American
« Reply #864 on: October 01, 2019, 06:17:05 PM »
Because the California law includes the language that the NCAA cannot rule those who athletes that "participate" in the law ineligible. IMO the states do not have the power to dictate NCAA policy as it's a private, national organization.

Ding ding ding...there isn't a court anywhere that would rule against the NCAA on this. State's can't dictate something like this to a private organization. I think most people think that if more states pass something like this, the NCAA will cave...I really don't think they will, their membership are in lock step with them on this issue.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #865 on: October 01, 2019, 06:24:59 PM »
Ding ding ding...there isn't a court anywhere that would rule against the NCAA on this. State's can't dictate something like this to a private organization. I think most people think that if more states pass something like this, the NCAA will cave...I really don't think they will, their membership are in lock step with them on this issue.

California over reached, which its wont to do, but the portion of the law that says athletes can profit off NIL is totally legal which would leave the NCAA two choice, reform to accept that standing or rule all California based athletes who profit off NIL ineligible. If enough states enact similar laws the NCAA would be cutting their own throat to make star athletes ineligible

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #866 on: October 01, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »

Why would they cave?  Probably all the lawsuits they’ll have to fight with the multiple states passing laws to allow students to earn off their likeness.  Probably because they don’t want the federal government poking around a not for profit monopoly that rakes in billions.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #867 on: October 01, 2019, 06:36:47 PM »
Guru you are way underestimating the PR blowback if the NCAA starts banning multiple schools and players from multiple states. Those schools have fans. Those fans are going to have impact on their schools. Just because members in in lock step now, that doesn’t mean they always will be.

Expect this issue to be managed and players being able to have some rights to profit off their image before this law begins in 2023.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #868 on: October 01, 2019, 07:01:42 PM »
Guru you are way underestimating the PR blowback if the NCAA starts banning multiple schools and players from multiple states. Those schools have fans. Those fans are going to have impact on their schools. Just because members in in lock step now, that doesn’t mean they always will be.

Expect this issue to be managed and players being able to have some rights to profit off their image before this law begins in 2023.

This.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #869 on: October 01, 2019, 07:16:33 PM »

States dictate to private, national organizations all the time. Minimum wage laws dictate how much they have to pay their workers. They impose environmental regulations and health and safety codes. They have anti-discrimination laws that dictate hiring and employment conditions.  They require contractors to use some minority-owned subcontractors on public projects.
The NCAA almost certainly will argue that this is interference with interstate commerce, but with the dominoes falling and other states following California's lead, that may not be a very strong argument for long.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #870 on: October 01, 2019, 07:41:31 PM »
Andy Staples has been a long, rationale thinking pragmatist on this subject.  He is also a former player.  He wrote this earlier this year:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/college-football/2019/05/14/ncaa-working-group-schools-compensation-options-for-athletes

Andy has never worked in an athletic dept, or had to deal with these issues firsthand, but he has put an index together on the best foods in college towns for college football fans.  True story.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #871 on: October 01, 2019, 07:44:27 PM »
California over reached, which its wont to do, but the portion of the law that says athletes can profit off NIL is totally legal which would leave the NCAA two choice, reform to accept that standing or rule all California based athletes who profit off NIL ineligible. If enough states enact similar laws the NCAA would be cutting their own throat to make star athletes ineligible

If you listened to Newsome on our show today to say he over reached and has no grasp of the subject other than platitudes would be kind.  He basically is saying we want to force the NCAA’s hand on this, we have no solution at all, our solution sucks balls, so ncaa you find a better solution because we aren’t smart enough to do it ourselves.  Ready...Go.   And if you don’t do it, well we will have destroyed a system or product as we have done in many other areas, but too bad.

It was cringe worthy. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #872 on: October 01, 2019, 07:47:38 PM »
What an epic mess this is going to be.  We had Gavin Newsome on the DP show today and his lack of knowledge on the subject and what this will do is staggering.

read between the lines...Ca needs money...lots of it...he sees "revenue" baby...just sharing the love
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #873 on: October 01, 2019, 07:48:17 PM »
  read between the lines...Ca needs money...lots of it...he sees "revenue" baby...just sharing the love

This isn’t going to generate much revenue.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #874 on: October 01, 2019, 07:50:50 PM »
  the toothpaste is outta the tube
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback