[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206298 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #550 on: September 26, 2019, 07:23:30 PM »
He's not interested in intellectual debate. Lacks the capability.

It’s so cute that you are now as obsessed with me as you are with Chico’s. Did you break up with him?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #551 on: September 26, 2019, 07:30:25 PM »
It’s so cute that you are now as obsessed with me as you are with Chico’s. Did you break up with him?

Wow.

Officially occupying a place in Sultan's brain. Very small space. not much room.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #552 on: September 26, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »
Also consider there are other sports (soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, etc.) that rely on the revenue men’s basketball brings in.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #553 on: September 26, 2019, 07:49:12 PM »
It would devastate.  Coaches are right.  Encourage cheating, damage smaller programs, just beyond dumb.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/NCAA-coaches-loudly-speaking-out-on-potential-transfer-rule--107036402/

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #554 on: September 26, 2019, 07:59:07 PM »
In your scenario I would gather at least 30 to 50 D1 schools would say they are out, drop down to D2.  My opinion only.  That would reduce D1 opportunities for 360 to 600 kids in basketball alone.  Thousands more in other sports.  Do you care about those kids?

Why would any school bother to put the effort, money, etc into developing their program if kids bail on that investment?  Why would fans invest their time and money into the product?  This isn’t pro sports, but even there contracts prevent what you are advocating for.  Someone doesn’t like playing for the Brewers, they cannot just leave to play for the Reds at the end of the season Willy nilly.  Not unless they are an unrestricted free agent.  A student athlete agrees to a “contract” in exchange for their free education and grant in aid.  Part of leaving is sitting out a year.

The rich would get richer.  Plug and play with kids.  Hell, poach off mid level Big East, Big Ten, SEC teams to the top teams.  A disaster for college basketball.

Make your program better and they won’t leave. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #555 on: September 26, 2019, 08:02:38 PM »
It would devastate.  Coaches are right.  Encourage cheating, damage smaller programs, just beyond dumb.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/NCAA-coaches-loudly-speaking-out-on-potential-transfer-rule--107036402/

“People who have vested interest in status quo make dire predictions should status quo change.” 

<yawn>
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #556 on: September 26, 2019, 08:03:45 PM »

“People who have vested interest in status quo make dire predictions should status quo change.” 

<yawn>

Further proof coaches and programs don’t actually care about their players but their own hides and the dollars the kids make them
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #557 on: September 26, 2019, 08:05:52 PM »
I agree with Chicos. If you have no penalties on transfers you will destroy college basketball.

I do agree though that players on teams that receive a post season should be free to transfer without sitting out a year.

That’s already the rule when there’s a ban. The problem for Ga Tech kids is the timing. School has already started, they can’t go anywhere and play this year.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #558 on: September 26, 2019, 08:07:24 PM »
That’s already the rule when there’s a ban. The problem for Ga Tech kids is the timing. School has already started, they can’t go anywhere and play this year.

Are they allowed to leave 2nd semester and play right away?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #559 on: September 26, 2019, 08:46:31 PM »

Oh I didn’t realize they already have that rule. That pleases me.

That’s does suck though that school has started. The NCAA should issue these penalties in April.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #560 on: September 26, 2019, 08:53:44 PM »
Also consider there are other sports (soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, etc.) that rely on the revenue men’s basketball brings in.

Yup.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #561 on: September 26, 2019, 08:54:20 PM »
Make your program better and they won’t leave.

So simple.  Simple statements on bumper stickers, what could go wrong. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #562 on: September 26, 2019, 08:56:09 PM »
So simple.  Simple statements on bumper stickers, what could go wrong.

You fail to make your program better?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #563 on: September 26, 2019, 09:05:19 PM »

<yawn>

Further proof that short term thinking has long term consequences that impact many people.  Examples are endless of “really swell ideas” that cost people their lives, livelihoods and opportunities because people didn’t think them through before they unleashed the changes.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #564 on: September 26, 2019, 09:15:48 PM »
Further proof that short term thinking has long term consequences that impact many people.  Examples are endless of “really swell ideas” that cost people their lives, livelihoods and opportunities because people didn’t think them through before they unleashed the changes.

OMG really?  We are talking about college kids transferring. Not starting a war in Iraq.

But I guess when your argument sucks you have to resort to the absurd.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #565 on: September 26, 2019, 09:16:08 PM »

If anyone dies because student athletes get paid for their likeness, that will be incredibly sad.

Free agency will kill professional sports.  Unlimited TV exposure will kill live attendance figures. 

Here’s an idea, if opportunities dry up for student athletes because terrible programs fold up or drop a level, increase scholarship numbers for those that continue on.  Wait, the NCAA capped those and already eliminated opportunities.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #566 on: September 26, 2019, 09:41:41 PM »
OMG really?  We are talking about college kids transferring. Not starting a war in Iraq.

If kids are allowed to profit of their likeness, schools will have no choice but to take the nonrevenue athletes out back and shoot them.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #567 on: September 26, 2019, 10:32:47 PM »

My argument doesn’t suck.  It’s why this is the rule across the country for college basketball.  You may want to stick to D2 or D3 or whatever norby’s is....probably more your speed. ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 10:34:27 PM by Cheeks »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #568 on: September 26, 2019, 10:35:51 PM »
I don’t think transfers should be able to move freely whenever they want without sitting, but I think that would be a benefit to Marquette as a program if allowed.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #569 on: September 26, 2019, 10:43:38 PM »
I don’t think transfers should be able to move freely whenever they want without sitting, but I think that would be a benefit to Marquette as a program if allowed.

I supported immediate eligibility with a minimum GPA, but people like Bilas, Goodman, et al helped kill that.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #570 on: September 26, 2019, 10:46:39 PM »

Why?  We have been to one Final Four in 30 years.  The programs that are perennial powers would be able to pluck whenever they want for a chance at the ring.  1st tier would pull from 2nd tier, 2nd tier f my 3rd tier, and so on and so on.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #571 on: September 26, 2019, 10:51:06 PM »
My argument doesn’t suck.  It’s why this is the rule across the country for college basketball. 

No the rule was made by those in power to keep the status quo.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #572 on: September 26, 2019, 10:54:16 PM »
Currently, for every 1 player transferring up in competition, there are 3 or 4 transferring down. I think the mid-majors would be fine.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #573 on: September 26, 2019, 10:59:23 PM »
Currently, for every 1 player transferring up in competition, there are 3 or 4 transferring down. I think the mid-majors would be fine.

Why do the mid major coaches disagree?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #574 on: September 26, 2019, 11:44:00 PM »
Coaches leave for greener pastures all the time. Never have to sit out a year. just get richer and richer and richer. Buyout clauses are a joke.

Players? They are under "contract" and locked in. "That 18-year-old knew exactly what he was doing. Screw him! And no, his likeness belongs to somebody else, too!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback