'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206436 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #525 on: September 26, 2019, 02:32:20 PM »
Honestly, I hate this argument...and lots of people say this. Well, you know what?? If coaches didn't want kids possibly affected, it's pretty simple..don't cheat, then it won't have ramifications. Whether that coach is still there or not..

Players should have the ability to transfer with no restrictions, including no waiting to be eligible.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #526 on: September 26, 2019, 02:34:07 PM »
Honestly, I hate this argument...and lots of people say this. Well, you know what?? If coaches didn't want kids possibly affected, it's pretty simple..don't cheat, then it won't have ramifications. Whether that coach is still there or not..
Do they have anyone good on their roster that would like to transfer and be immediately eligible?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #527 on: September 26, 2019, 02:40:06 PM »

Players should have the ability to transfer with no restrictions, including no waiting to be eligible.

Yep.  Then it would only hurt the coach and the school, like it’s supposed too.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #528 on: September 26, 2019, 03:16:30 PM »

No, in fact they shouldn’t.  It would decimate mid majors.  Encourage tampering and again, only benefit the rich making the rich, richer.

Are you saying only in context of schools that were caught cheating....maybe.  What context are you referencing?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:18:14 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #529 on: September 26, 2019, 03:18:28 PM »
No, in fact they shouldn’t.  It would decimate mid majors.  Encourage tampering and again, only benefit the rich making the rich, richer.

Why would GT players being immediately eligible have any effect on Mid Majors?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #530 on: September 26, 2019, 03:31:28 PM »

Are you saying only in context of schools that were caught cheating....maybe.  What context are you referencing?

I am saying that I am for every player getting one "free transfer" during their five year clock without sitting out a year.  No more "waivers" or grad transfer nonsense.

HOWEVER, because chicken-littles like yourself who run the NCAA will likely never grant that, I would settle for the following.  Anyone who is on the roster when a postseason ban is announced may transfer without restriction.  Furthermore anyone who is bound to the institution through an NLI is released to sign elsewhere.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #531 on: September 26, 2019, 03:38:58 PM »

I agree.  That’s why the kids should be able to earn off their likeness and also allowed to transfer without penalty at least once while in college.  Sadly, too many people don’t care about these kids
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #532 on: September 26, 2019, 03:43:19 PM »

I am saying that I am for every player getting one "free transfer" during their five year clock without sitting out a year.  No more "waivers" or grad transfer nonsense.

HOWEVER, because chicken-littles like yourself who run the NCAA will likely never grant that, I would settle for the following.  Anyone who is on the roster when a postseason ban is announced may transfer without restriction.  Furthermore anyone who is bound to the institution through an NLI is released to sign elsewhere.

I agree.  That’s why the kids should be able to earn off their likeness and also allowed to transfer without penalty at least once while in college.  Sadly, too many people don’t care about these kids

Those are reasonable first steps, Sultan and Rico.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #533 on: September 26, 2019, 04:53:36 PM »

Appreciate the derogatory remarks...thanks.  I’m trying to not do that anymore, but guilty in the past.

A mid major develops a kid for 2 or 3 years, time, money, etc, and then he walks away to another school who did nothing but poach him.  It will destroy mid major programs trying to compete and taking risks on kids that weren’t high majors that they developed.  It will create a farm system.  The one year sit out prevents that from happening to a degree.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #534 on: September 26, 2019, 05:41:12 PM »
Appreciate the derogatory remarks...thanks.  I’m trying to not do that anymore, but guilty in the past.

A mid major develops a kid for 2 or 3 years, time, money, etc, and then he walks away to another school who did nothing but poach him.  It will destroy mid major programs trying to compete and taking risks on kids that weren’t high majors that they developed.  It will create a farm system.  The one year sit out prevents that from happening to a degree.

1. You’re exaggerating. 

2. I don’t really care anyway. Too many D1 programs as it is already. Maybe this will cause programs to drop to a more appropriate level.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 05:44:33 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #535 on: September 26, 2019, 05:50:16 PM »
I agree with Chicos. If you have no penalties on transfers you will destroy college basketball.

I do agree though that players on teams that receive a post season should be free to transfer without sitting out a year.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #536 on: September 26, 2019, 05:51:01 PM »
I agree with Chicos. If you have no restriction on transfers you will destroy college basketball.

No it won’t.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #537 on: September 26, 2019, 05:53:49 PM »
I agree with Chicos. If you have no penalties on transfers you will destroy college basketball.

I do agree though that players on teams that receive a post season should be free to transfer without sitting out a year.

I dont know about destroy, but it certainly will further concentrate talent at a smaller number of schools.  Personally, I think that is a net bad for the game of cbball.   

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #538 on: September 26, 2019, 06:03:24 PM »

No it won’t.
Intellectual debate elevated to its highest level.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #539 on: September 26, 2019, 06:10:25 PM »

In your scenario I would gather at least 30 to 50 D1 schools would say they are out, drop down to D2.  My opinion only.  That would reduce D1 opportunities for 360 to 600 kids in basketball alone.  Thousands more in other sports.  Do you care about those kids?

Why would any school bother to put the effort, money, etc into developing their program if kids bail on that investment?  Why would fans invest their time and money into the product?  This isn’t pro sports, but even there contracts prevent what you are advocating for.  Someone doesn’t like playing for the Brewers, they cannot just leave to play for the Reds at the end of the season Willy nilly.  Not unless they are an unrestricted free agent.  A student athlete agrees to a “contract” in exchange for their free education and grant in aid.  Part of leaving is sitting out a year.

The rich would get richer.  Plug and play with kids.  Hell, poach off mid level Big East, Big Ten, SEC teams to the top teams.  A disaster for college basketball.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 07:13:04 PM by Cheeks »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #540 on: September 26, 2019, 06:19:18 PM »

It’s Scoop.  Deal with it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #541 on: September 26, 2019, 06:23:12 PM »
In your scenario I would gather at least 30 to 50 D1 schools would say they are out, drop down to D2.  My opinion only.  That would reduce D1 opportunities for 360 to 600 kids in basketball alone.  Thousands more in other sports.  Do you care about those kids?

Why would any school bother to put the effort, money, etc into developing their program if kids bail on that investment?  Why would fans invest their time and money into the product?  This isn’t pro sports, but even there contracts prevent what you are advocating for.  Someone doesn’t like playing for the Brewers, they cannot just leave to play for the Reds at the end of the season Willy nilly.  Not unless they are an unrestricted free agent.  A student athlete agrees to a “contract” in exchange for their free education and grant in aid.  Part of leaving is sitting out a year.

The rich would get richer.  Plug and play with kids.  He’ll, poach off mid level Big East, Big Ten, SEC teams to the top teams.  A disaster for college basketball.

Chicken little nonsense.

People really don’t care that much about mid and low major programs. Half of them dropping to Division 2 would be better for D1 ball anyway. 

And if you are worried about lack of scholarship opportunities, the remaining D1 schools can increase their scholarship limits. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #542 on: September 26, 2019, 06:58:25 PM »
Here's what I would like to see as far as transfers go:

1. I absolutely HATE it when kids transfer because their coach leaves. When you commit, you are SUPPOSED to be committing to the school, and everything about it, not just the coach. I would have a rule where okay you want to leave that's fine, but you CANNOT transfer to the school where your new Coach went.

2. I know this is an individual conference rule, but I don't like that in some conferences you can't transfer within the conference.

3. I don't necessarily agree with being allowed to transfer without sitting out, because that goes back to my first point, you are supposed ot be committing to a school, not just a program/coach. So if you're transferring because a Coach left or you're unhappy with the program etc, you should have to sit out.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #543 on: September 26, 2019, 07:13:28 PM »

And if you are worried about lack of scholarship opportunities, the remaining D1 schools can increase their scholarship limits.

Sure. Everybody loves being the 13th guy on the bench. Solution? Let's have a 14th, 16th or 20th guy. Brilliant.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #544 on: September 26, 2019, 07:15:03 PM »
Here's what I would like to see as far as transfers go:

1. I absolutely HATE it when kids transfer because their coach leaves. When you commit, you are SUPPOSED to be committing to the school, and everything about it, not just the coach. I would have a rule where okay you want to leave that's fine, but you CANNOT transfer to the school where your new Coach went.

2. I know this is an individual conference rule, but I don't like that in some conferences you can't transfer within the conference.

3. I don't necessarily agree with being allowed to transfer without sitting out, because that goes back to my first point, you are supposed ot be committing to a school, not just a program/coach. So if you're transferring because a Coach left or you're unhappy with the program etc, you should have to sit out.

Kids are recruited by coaches. If a coach leaves the kids should continue to have the right to leave. I would not be opposed to preventing a kid from following the coach to his new destination.  I agree with you on that.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #545 on: September 26, 2019, 07:17:39 PM »
Sure. Everybody loves being the 13th guy on the bench. Solution? Let's have a 14th, 16th or 20th guy. Brilliant.

They can transfer without sitting if they are unhappy.

Regardless I don’t think Cheeks nightmare scenario happens anyway so I don’t think it’s a problem.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #546 on: September 26, 2019, 07:17:45 PM »
Chicken little nonsense.

People really don’t care that much about mid and low major programs. Half of them dropping to Division 2 would be better for D1 ball anyway. 

Scholarships were reduced to prevent schools from hoarding kids in the first place and providing more opportunities.

Creighton, Xavier, Gonzaga, Wichita State,  etc were all mid majors not long ago.  People do care for some of these programs.  But it isn’t just about mid majors.  The top top programs will pilfer off Penn State, MU, Georgetown, and countless others. 

Kids don’t stick out tough times like they used to, the slightest bump in the road and they are gone. 

At some point we need to hold people accountable.  They know the rules of playing and transferring.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #547 on: September 26, 2019, 07:19:19 PM »

He's not interested in intellectual debate. Lacks the capability.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #548 on: September 26, 2019, 07:19:46 PM »
They can transfer without sitting if they are unhappy.

Regardless I don’t think Cheeks nightmare scenario happens anyway so I don’t think it’s a problem.

Coaches disagree, especially mid major coaches.  So I’m not worried in the slightest this will happen because it makes zero sense

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #549 on: September 26, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
Coaches disagree, especially mid major coaches.  So I’m not worried in the slightest this will happen because it makes zero sense

Again I don’t care what mid major coaches think about this. They’re paid to mange this. I care more about giving players more freedom.

feedback