[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206367 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #325 on: September 10, 2019, 10:34:48 AM »
Did you read what the legislation does, or are you simply taking Cheeks' word for it?

First, this law has already existed for four years  kids up to 3rd grade, without apocalyptic consequences. This law only extends it through eighth grade.

Second, it does not prevent teachers from removing disruptive or defiant kids from class. It does not mean "no consequences." It just requires districts to do something other than keeping young kids - again, we're talking about grade schoolers here - home from school.  It changes nothing for high school kids.

Third, this has been the policy in the LA district since 2013, again, without  apocalyptic consequences. In fact, graduations have gone up ... though I'm not sure there's a proven causation there.

Fourth, this had the endorsement of state school administrator and parent-teacher organizations. The state teacher's union took no official stance.

I didnt read the legislation, no.  Thank you for your concern to set the record straight with bullet points

Madison schools have gone to a somewhat similar policy of not disciplining kids and the high schools are disasters.  No accountability for kids, paperwork nightmares for the teachers, violence in the classrooms, and the rowdy few are ruining things for the rest of the students.

God bless America.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #326 on: September 10, 2019, 10:39:00 AM »
I didnt read the legislation, no.  Thank you for your concern to set the record straight with bullet points

Madison schools have gone to a somewhat similar policy of not disciplining kids and the high schools are disasters.  No accountability for kids, paperwork nightmares for the teachers, violence in the classrooms, and the rowdy few are ruining things for the rest of the students.

God bless America.

Wait?, so u are telling me Chicos is completely talking out of his ass?
This is surprising to me.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #327 on: September 10, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »
     many of us here want to know how you guys decide what and when something is offensive.

The Society to Nominate Offensive Words For Losers And Knackered Emotions (or SNOWFLAKE) meets in the Starbucks basement every Thursday at 4:20. Wine is provided, but you have to purchase your own Avocado Toast.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #328 on: September 10, 2019, 10:56:23 AM »
Suspensions always have been, and continue to be bad forms of punishment. Kids that don't really want to be in school, being punished by being removed from school.

It's like punishing a person for eating junk food, by only letting them have cake for dinner.

The students are still being punished for creating disturbances, they are now just a more useful form of punishment.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #329 on: September 10, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »
The Society to Nominate Offensive Words For Losers And Knackered Emotions (or SNOWFLAKE) meets in the Starbucks basement every Thursday at 4:20. Wine is provided, but you have to purchase your own Avocado Toast.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #330 on: September 10, 2019, 10:59:59 AM »
So you are advocating for students to be able to yell at and talk back to their teachers?  No consequences?

Good luck to those kids in the job market when they graduate,  assuming they do graduate or apply for jobs.

Pussification of America, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #331 on: September 10, 2019, 11:01:36 AM »
Did you read what the legislation does, or are you simply taking Cheeks' word for it?

First, this law has already existed for four years  kids up to 3rd grade, without apocalyptic consequences. This law only extends it through eighth grade.

Second, it does not prevent teachers from removing disruptive or defiant kids from class. It does not mean "no consequences." It just requires districts to do something other than keeping young kids - again, we're talking about grade schoolers here - home from school.  It changes nothing for high school kids.

Third, this has been the policy in the LA district since 2013, again, without  apocalyptic consequences. In fact, graduations have gone up ... though I'm not sure there's a proven causation there.

Fourth, this had the endorsement of state school administrator and parent-teacher organizations. The state teacher's union took no official stance.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #332 on: September 10, 2019, 11:04:00 AM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:05:36 AM by Jon »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #333 on: September 10, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »

What you say is happening in Madison, Wisconsin high schools probably doesn't have much to do with what's happening in California grade schools, but thanks for the cool story.
Please continue with the hot takes on subjects you admittedly know nothing about.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #334 on: September 10, 2019, 11:11:10 AM »
I mean...don't you HAVE to do something??

Adam Zagoria
@AdamZagoria
  47m 

Legal source: ‘The Govt has not proposed a specific sentence, but has recommended a downward departure from the sentencing guidelines due to Gassnola’s “significant and useful” assistance i.e. exposing the Adidas bribes to bring players to the Univ. of Kansas’ twitter.com/adamzagoria/st… 
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #335 on: September 10, 2019, 11:12:00 AM »
Who is "you guys"?

Did those same "guys" weaponize the word 'snowflake'?

Meat Summiteers

Scoop Snowflakes

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #336 on: September 10, 2019, 11:14:04 AM »
What you say is happening in Madison, Wisconsin high schools probably doesn't have much to do with what's happening in California grade schools, but thanks for the cool story.
Please continue with the hot takes on subjects you admittedly know nothing about.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #337 on: September 10, 2019, 11:31:58 AM »

I was explaining my frame of reference.  Please continue knowing everything about everything.  I bow down befor your superior knowledge. Master.

God bless America.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #338 on: September 10, 2019, 12:36:18 PM »

so california grade schools are running just fine...nothing to fix there...a well oiled machine...love is in the air
don't...don't don't don't don't

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #339 on: September 10, 2019, 01:00:55 PM »

So once again you are saying that Chicos is ignorant of the content of the links he himself posts?  Surprising.

And rocket happily gulped it down without bothering to learn anything about it? Doubly surprising
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:03:25 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #340 on: September 10, 2019, 01:11:07 PM »
I was explaining my frame of reference.  Please continue knowing everything about everything.  I bow down befor your superior knowledge. Master.

God bless America.

Happy to help.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #341 on: September 10, 2019, 04:20:23 PM »

1. so kids up through 8th grade are just harmless little dickens

2. so what does it do?  timeouts?  stand in the corner with your nose on a spot on the chalkboard?  write, i will stop giving mary and jack hinder-binders 1000 gazillion times

3. oh good, graduations are up and behavior is getting worse-super

4. sigh of relief the state admin expert, parent/teacher org and the kicker-teacher union loves it!  should have lead with #4 pakman-makes me feel so much better that we aren't spanking the kids again

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #342 on: September 10, 2019, 05:54:36 PM »

1. so kids up through 8th grade are just harmless little dickens

2. so what does it do?  timeouts?  stand in the corner with your nose on a spot on the chalkboard?  write, i will stop giving mary and jack hinder-binders 1000 gazillion times

3. oh good, graduations are up and behavior is getting worse-super

4. sigh of relief the state admin expert, parent/teacher org and the kicker-teacher union loves it!  should have lead with #4 pakman-makes me feel so much better that we aren't spanking the kids again

Why not actually read about what's happening before melting down over it?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #343 on: September 10, 2019, 06:07:49 PM »
Suspensions always have been, and continue to be bad forms of punishment. Kids that don't really want to be in school, being punished by being removed from school.

It's like punishing a person for eating junk food, by only letting them have cake for dinner.

The students are still being punished for creating disturbances, they are now just a more useful form of punishment.

Forgetful,

Respectfully disagree. Removing chronically disruptive students from the classroom has several benefits. Teachers can teach and students can learn in at least a relatively peaceful environment. Other potential disruptors may be deterred when they see the consequences.

Re your junk food analogy, I think it's more like letting a child who wants to eat junk food (and who is allowed to by his parents) to eat junk food but not allow him or her to run the cafeteria.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #344 on: September 10, 2019, 06:11:16 PM »
Forgetful,

Respectfully disagree. Removing chronically disruptive students from the classroom has several benefits. Teachers can teach and students can learn in at least a relatively peaceful environment. Other potential disruptors may be deterred when they see the consequences.

This is true, but nothing about this California law prevents the removal of disruptive students from the classroom.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #345 on: September 10, 2019, 06:35:19 PM »

Lol.  Kids below 3rd grade are not ones that cause problems of talking back.  The teachers union in this state is so far up Newsome’s ass and vice versa they scrub each other’s backs.  The fact they gave no stance should be an be an eye opener.  Usually they finish each other’s sentences. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #346 on: September 10, 2019, 06:36:26 PM »

God bless America.

Yup.  Nothing like teaching lack of accountability when they are young....get them started on the right foot.

And God Bless America.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #347 on: September 10, 2019, 07:01:28 PM »
Lol.  Kids below 3rd grade are not ones that cause problems of talking back.  The teachers union in this state is so far up Newsome’s ass and vice versa they scrub each other’s backs.  The fact they gave no stance should be an be an eye opener.  Usually they finish each other’s sentences.

exactly my sentiments cheeko.  there are so many ways the education people can play this.  first, they sound so level headed and reasoned.  you know, the dr spock approach to teaching.  second, the school systems get paid per body in the chairs.  third, they have their scapegoat when schmit hits the fan-but but but our hands are tied and we have to take all these kids that the private schools don't have to wa wa wa wa

big reasons why private schools are more successful from an educational standpoint.  still wonder why "they" don't want choice schools even though their constituents have been screamin for them?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #348 on: September 10, 2019, 07:13:54 PM »

The only thing I saw on this was the article Chico linked.

Is there a link to the actual legislation available? If not, do you know what punishments are being substituted for suspensions? Any idea why Gov Brown vetoed this legislation twice? He doesn't impress me as being a hard liner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #349 on: September 10, 2019, 07:59:28 PM »
The only thing I saw on this was the article Chico linked.

Is there a link to the actual legislation available? If not, do you know what punishments are being substituted for suspensions? Any idea why Gov Brown vetoed this legislation twice? He doesn't impress me as being a hard liner.

Link:
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB419

Contrary to how it's been described here, the bill does not prohibit suspensions, removals or other disciplinary consequences. It prohibits out-of-school suspensions.
I'd like to think most reasonable people can agree that an 11-year-old with behavioral issues is better off getting whatever help he/she needs from professionals in a structured environment than sitting at home playing Call of Duty and falling further behind on school work.

https://edsource.org/2019/california-to-ban-pushing-students-out-of-school-for-disruptive-behavior/617326