[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206280 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2019, 07:43:05 PM »
The obsession of some to retain sham amateurism for college athletes reminds me of the same about Olympic athletes 20 years ago.

As was the case for Olympic athletes back then, there really was no level playing field because there was so much cheating being perpetrated by the most powerful. And the NCAA pretends to be outraged now, just as the IOC did back then.

The mock concern that the playing field will somehow become unbalanced if college athletes are allowed to benefit from their own likenesses -- as every other college student can -- is cute.

Better to keep all the power in the hands of the already rich and powerful, and keep the worker bees nice and servile.

And the Olympics is not as interesting now as it was then....in my opinion.    It’s a shame, but watching the men’s basketball team in the Olympics is a complete bore.  Olympic hockey, ehh.  Nothing will beat 1980.  Etc, etc.  No doubt some love it now, but it has lost a lot of luster in my view.

And there you are again saying college athletes....do you mean all or the tiny sliver people keep railing on to protect that 1%?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2019, 07:44:16 PM »
And the Olympics is not as interesting now as it was then.  It’s a shame, but watching the men’s basketball team in the Olympics is a complete bore.  Olympic hockey, ehh.  Nothing will beat 1980.  Etc, etc.

And there you are again saying college athletes....do you mean all or the tiny sliver people keep railing on to protect that 1%?

All college athletes can sell and market their likeness.  The market will decide.  Get that paper
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2019, 07:57:35 PM »
All college athletes can sell and market their likeness.  The market will decide.  Get that paper

Just throw money at it, they said.  Just let them have a little bit more, they said. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #203 on: September 06, 2019, 08:31:58 PM »
Just throw money at it, they said.  Just let them have a little bit more, they said.

Exactly.  For many, they’ll never have earning power like this. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2019, 08:35:15 PM »
Exactly.  For many, they’ll never have earning power like this.

For many, they would never earn a college degree if it were not the scholarship they received for playing.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #205 on: September 06, 2019, 08:39:40 PM »
For many, they would never earn a college degree if it were not the scholarship they received for playing.

Zero reason not to have both save the sham of amateurism

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #206 on: September 06, 2019, 08:46:26 PM »
Zero reason not to have both save the sham of amateurism

Plenty of reasons not to have both, including that they are already receiving more value than they would without for the overwhelming majority of these student athletes. 

I can't wait for the next argument after this.....if they get this benefit how many more years before the demands are X, then Y, then Z.  It never ends.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2019, 08:51:32 PM »

In the big picture, it doesn't.  However, too many people weaponized the word, and, practically speaking, has a negative connotation.  Some people are members of the lucky sperm club.  That doesn't make them good or bad.  However, when people call them privileged, I guarantee you, it's not meant as a compliment.

In most cases, it's not meant as a compliment. It's not meant as an insult either. It's just a basic reality of life.

When there term was first coined there was no negative connotation. It has been given a negative connotation by those who weaponize it...both those who use it as an insult and those who take it as an insult when it was not used that way....that will happen no matter what we call it. We could say people have white applesauce instead of white privilege and eventually people would hate the word applesauce (once they figured out what the f*ck people were talking about).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #208 on: September 06, 2019, 09:03:35 PM »
Plenty of reasons not to have both, including that they are already receiving more value than they would without for the overwhelming majority of these student athletes. 

I can't wait for the next argument after this.....if they get this benefit how many more years before the demands are X, then Y, then Z.  It never ends.

So?  Power to the people

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #209 on: September 06, 2019, 09:05:04 PM »
It never ends.

It certainly doesn’t

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #210 on: September 06, 2019, 09:12:03 PM »
In most cases, it's not meant as a compliment. It's not meant as an insult either. It's just a basic reality of life.

When there term was first coined there was no negative connotation. It has been given a negative connotation by those who weaponize it...both those who use it as an insult and those who take it as an insult when it was not used that way....that will happen no matter what we call it.

I don't disagree with this a bit. But Brother TAMU, you very much disagree with what you've written here.

You (not just you, others too) have been lecturing people for quite some time that if groups of people are offended by a word or phrase then the word or phrase is offensive. Period. Intent doesn't matter. So even if the term "privileged" or "white privilege" hadn't been "weaponized" and was neutral without any negative intent, wouldn't just the fact that some take offense make it offensive? Of course I think that's silly, but hasn't that been what you and many others here have insisted?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2019, 09:39:09 PM »

1. How would allowing the players who can profit off their likeness do so harm those who cannot?
2. Slippery slopes, as much as you love them, are logical fallacies, you know?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2019, 09:52:17 PM »
Privilege is something we all have. Simply being born in this country is a type of privilege itself.

Not according to some of your buddies in the locked down hurricane thread. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #213 on: September 06, 2019, 09:55:24 PM »
I don't disagree with this a bit. But Brother TAMU, you very much disagree with what you've written here.

You (not just you, others too) have been lecturing people for quite some time that if groups of people are offended by a word or phrase then the word or phrase is offensive. Period. Intent doesn't matter. So even if the term "privileged" or "white privilege" hadn't been "weaponized" and was neutral without any negative intent, wouldn't just the fact that some take offense make it offensive? Of course I think that's silly, but hasn't that been what you and many others here have insisted?

Great observation from an old codger there lenny😜. I’d much rather be called a member of the lucky swimmers club though...is that safe...yet?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #214 on: September 06, 2019, 10:06:54 PM »
No they aren’t.  By your standards, high school athletes are professional and that is equally false.

Are high school athletes prohibited from earning money on their likeness?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #215 on: September 06, 2019, 10:32:53 PM »
Blue, black, green, or red...we all are privileged to live in this great country where we have the freedom to speak this utter nonsense without consequence. God bless America, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2019, 10:33:28 PM »

Lecturing, ugh is that my reputation here? Need to add some more memes in my power point slides.

I understand what you are saying but I think you missed the point of what I was insisting on in the past. When someone tells you that you offended them, you offended them. Own it. You don't get to decide when someone else is offended. It's not that if one person finds something offensive then that thing is offensive. It is that it is offensive to that one person.

But that doesn't mean you can't have a different interpretation. It also doesn't mean that you can't stand by what you said before in spite of the offense given.

I am well aware that some people are offended when I use the term privilege. I own it. I am also okay with it. I won't tell them that they don't have a right to be offended or get defensive with them. I'll acknowledge that I gave offense and depending on the context of the conversation, I may continue to give offense.

I also think there is a difference between being offended and being uncomfortable. It's a check I have to do with myself constantly. Sometimes my gut reaction to something is anger or offense but if I take a breath and think about it, I realize I'm actually reacting out of discomfort. That's a me problem not an other person problem.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #217 on: September 06, 2019, 10:34:27 PM »
Blue, black, green, or red...we all are privileged to live in this great country where we have the freedom to speak this utter nonsense without consequence. God bless America, aina?

You're damn right. Just being born into a first world country is a great example of privilege.
TAMU

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #218 on: September 06, 2019, 10:46:41 PM »
Great observation from an old codger there lenny😜. I’d much rather be called a member of the lucky swimmers club though...is that safe...yet?

Nah, thats offensive to those that cant produce sperm.  You BIGOT!

God Bless America

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2019, 11:01:18 PM »

God Bless America

Yes, God Bless America!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #220 on: September 07, 2019, 10:33:27 AM »

God Bless America

now that hurts my feelings...and that's called seaman challenged btw

but...does that include those who can't by choice(tie downs) not "privileged" to have the little soldiers(weak or mia) or can't sport wood? or the combo package

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #221 on: September 07, 2019, 11:20:14 AM »
Lecturing, ugh is that my reputation here? Need to add some more memes in my power point slides.

I understand what you are saying but I think you missed the point of what I was insisting on in the past. When someone tells you that you offended them, you offended them. Own it. You don't get to decide when someone else is offended. It's not that if one person finds something offensive then that thing is offensive. It is that it is offensive to that one person.

But that doesn't mean you can't have a different interpretation. It also doesn't mean that you can't stand by what you said before in spite of the offense given.

I am well aware that some people are offended when I use the term privilege. I own it. I am also okay with it. I won't tell them that they don't have a right to be offended or get defensive with them. I'll acknowledge that I gave offense and depending on the context of the conversation, I may continue to give offense.

I also think there is a difference between being offended and being uncomfortable. It's a check I have to do with myself constantly. Sometimes my gut reaction to something is anger or offense but if I take a breath and think about it, I realize I'm actually reacting out of discomfort. That's a me problem not an other person problem.

Society in a few years....just amazing.  With every group offended by something.  This is why some of us yearn for the old days.  We were all made fun of, we all made fun of...that was the deal and it toughened folks up and brought many together.  Now the constantly offended have weaponized things to a degree where exchange of ideas is shrinking, people are threatened in their jobs for something they said 20 years ago, others need not even apply.  An antiseptic society...,is going to be very very bad.

Harrison Bergeron

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #222 on: September 07, 2019, 11:46:34 AM »
Society in a few years....just amazing.  With every group offended by something.  This is why some of us yearn for the old days.  We were all made fun of, we all made fun of...that was the deal and it toughened folks up and brought many together.  Now the constantly offended have weaponized things to a degree where exchange of ideas is shrinking, people are threatened in their jobs for something they said 20 years ago, others need not even apply.  An antiseptic society...,is going to be very very bad.

Harrison Bergeron

This from the definition of someone who is "constantly offended" and can't handle words like "privilege" being mentioned in their presence.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #223 on: September 07, 2019, 11:52:12 AM »

Harrison Bergeron

I hear Montana is a good place to avoid micro aggression.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #224 on: September 07, 2019, 01:21:30 PM »
Eventually, basketball season will start.

*my
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.