'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206442 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 05:41:56 AM »
Yes, but what does that have to do with this Federal Judge denying the NCAA access to evidence?  That is what I was commenting on as not the NCAA's fault.

They seem to have lied about overpromising. From the article:

The NCAA had held off on investigations, he said, at the request of the government until the trials were concluded.

"So now that's it over, we're going to be moving forward with a number of Level I cases that will help people realize that, 'Yeah, the enforcement staff was in a position to move forward,'" Wilcox said.

Whether they didn't have the authority or ability to get what they needed to assure compliance, this is a failure on their part. Clearly the enforcement staff wasn't in a position to move forward. Don't assert you're ready to start swinging when you don't even have your stick yet.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 06:13:08 AM »

The NCAA had held off on investigations, he said, at the request of the government until the trials were concluded.

"So now that's it over, we're going to be moving forward with a number of Level I cases that will help people realize that, 'Yeah, the enforcement staff was in a position to move forward,'" Wilcox said.

Whether they didn't have the authority or ability to get what they needed to assure compliance, this is a failure on their part. Clearly the enforcement staff wasn't in a position to move forward. Don't assert you're ready to start swinging when you don't even have your stick yet.

The whole thing is a giant charade. Again, the world is but a stage. Smoke n mirrors from the NCAA. Frankly, we are all culpable for buying into this sham. I would love a Nick Nolte BlueChips moment that will never come. Nothing in the world worse than hypocrisy. Pay the players already and truly level the playing field. Enough of the masquerade. Ironically, our own Markus is exhibit A that a kid can embrace college and all it encompasses and yet excel at the very top of the game. When he graduates, there should be a goddamn statue of him outside the AL.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 06:20:29 AM »
Death to the NCAA
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 06:50:33 AM »
This decision is so much bigger than the NCAA. The federal government and its law enforcement agencies have a vested interest in not allowing any third party from simply obtaining their records and the information obtained in criminal investigations, whether it is the Humane Society, the Church of Scientology, or the NCAA.

This legal battle was fought on a battle field far away from corruption in college athletics.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 07:16:45 AM »
So does this mean Mannion is coming to Marquette now, hey?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2019, 07:21:16 AM »
So does this mean Mannion is coming to Marquette now, hey?

And Sean Miller will be at Arizona getting top recruits for the foreseeable future.  NCAA is an abject failure
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2019, 07:28:07 AM »
This decision is so much bigger than the NCAA. The federal government and its law enforcement agencies have a vested interest in not allowing any third party from simply obtaining their records and the information obtained in criminal investigations, whether it is the Humane Society, the Church of Scientology, or the NCAA.

This legal battle was fought on a battle field far away from corruption in college athletics.

And the legal “battle” wasn’t much of one and ended up to be a waste of time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2019, 08:22:33 AM »
Death to the NCAA

Slim Chance.  Tarn had the NCAA's number years ago, some of us are in the process of catching up.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2019, 09:00:20 AM »
The whole thing is a giant charade. Again, the world is but a stage. Smoke n mirrors from the NCAA. Frankly, we are all culpable for buying into this sham. I would love a Nick Nolte BlueChips moment that will never come. Nothing in the world worse than hypocrisy. Pay the players already and truly level the playing field. Enough of the masquerade. Ironically, our own Markus is exhibit A that a kid can embrace college and all it encompasses and yet excel at the very top of the game. When he graduates, there should be a goddamn statue of him outside the AL.

The charade and sham is believing if you pay it will level the playing field.  That is beyond delusional.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2019, 09:02:45 AM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2019, 09:12:09 AM »
The charade and sham is believing if you pay it will level the playing field.  That is beyond delusional.

Players are already being paid...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2019, 09:13:54 AM »

Let’s see how it shakes out, Summer isn’t over.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2019, 09:15:03 AM »
Players are already being paid...

True, they all have scholarships and enormous value they receive.

Yes, SOME are being paid illegally....SOME.

And then we have all those that aren’t, in every sport......

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2019, 09:28:37 AM »

Rashad McCants disagrees.

#flimflam

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2019, 09:31:58 AM »

Yes, SOME are being paid illegally....SOME.

And then we have all those that aren’t, in every sport......

Suckers

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2019, 09:48:19 AM »
Rashad McCants disagrees.

#flimflam

That’s nice....I hear he is tearing it up in the Big 3 league....

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2019, 11:03:06 AM »
https://twitter.com/danwetzel/status/1169030116841836546?s=21

Why is the NCAA a sham based on this tweet?   How did they lie?   Because a judge won’t give them access to findings in an FBI investigation?  Seems to be an over reaction.  Maybe it can be said they don’t have enough teeth but not seeing “sham” based off the information provided.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2019, 11:05:52 AM »
Why is the NCAA a sham based on this tweet?   How did they lie?   Because a judge won’t give them access to findings in an FBI investigation?  Seems to be an over reaction.  Maybe it can be said they don’t have enough teeth but not seeing “sham” based off the information provided.

I never stated that.  I stated that the federal investigation was a waste based on that tweet.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2019, 11:08:43 AM »
Gotcha.  But many of the following posts seem to imply its the NCAA fault they didn’t get access to the information and it is a sham organization.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2019, 11:19:49 AM »
Deregulate it all. Let each university decide how much they want to compensate each individual player in every sport. It's the most fair option.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2019, 11:21:49 AM »
Gotcha.  But many of the following posts seem to imply its the NCAA fault they didn’t get access to the information and it is a sham organization.

It is a sham organization.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2019, 11:49:13 AM »

It's not the NCAA's fault, though I suspect deep down Mark Emmert is feeling quite relieved.
It is a sham organization.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2019, 11:52:10 AM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-would-you-support-an-olympic-style-model-for-student-athletes/

Weird.  Most coaches are okay with the Olympic model being adopted for “student athletes”.

They know the NCAA is a sham

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »

If they don't divulge the major violations by the end of summer, I'd say they lied.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2019, 11:59:08 AM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-would-you-support-an-olympic-style-model-for-student-athletes/

Weird.  Most coaches are okay with the Olympic model being adopted for “student athletes”.

They know the NCAA is a sham

"The biggest thing working against it is that the money companies and boosters are now donating to universities would, in some cases, instead go directly to student-athletes -- which means universities would lose control of some revenue, and God knows they hate the idea of that."

Sounds a lot like something a really smart person here said.  ;)

feedback