[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 208760 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #1275 on: October 08, 2019, 04:29:18 PM »
And people like you are applauded for things like this, yet those that think differently, and speak out against are somehow lessor individuals and ridiculed etc. That's what I mean by who gets to decide what is right and what isn't??
Yes, if you come out against other human beings' basic rights you are going to be ridiculed, and rightly so.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1276 on: October 08, 2019, 04:55:59 PM »
Crickets from you, guru?

Dozens of posts on this topic, yet you can't explain why you care so much about this and how the change -- which is coming, whether you like it or not -- will affect you in any way?

Because the amateur model was built on just that...student athletes competing for school pride, the love of the game. Amateur means not getting paid. That's why I am so appreciative of college sports. Sure, say all you want the amateur model is broken...for the schools that cheat yes it is, but the one's that don't(and there are many many that don't) still play by the rules and follow the amateur model. I don't want to see a bunch of kids just out competing because they have to in order to get paid, and not caring about anything else(and yes, some of them will do this). 

I realize that as a journalist one of the requirements you have is to spin things to fit your agenda, or your audience's agenda, but to think that this will be the ONLY change that is coming from this is quite frankly...idiotic. Schools will eventually be paying players directly,regular students and other athletes that don't make as much will file lawsuits, and it won't be this quick and easy transition like so many seem to think it will be.

Athletes are NOT employees, whether you think they are or not. They are choosing to go to college and using that non profit organization as their platform to perform. For a lot of them, it's where they first get "noticed" and get the attention drawn to them.
In exchange for being allowed to use that platform they are getting scholarships, free room and board etc. How many regular students do you think would LOVE a chance like that??

The Federal court in the O'Bannon case ruled that the cost of a scholarship was adequate compensation. It was then, it should be now, and it should be for eternity.

I don't agree that things should change "for changes sake". Sometimes, changes are good, sometimes they are bad. But since the NCAA started this is the way it has always been. Athletes have known that since they started playing college sports. If it is truly such a hardship for them, they have other options...they can explore professional opportunities at home or abroad, or they can stop playing altogether and get out into the work force and start making money. No one is stopping them. Yet, a vast majority don't do that now and they aren't making a dime. And, the beauty is, no one even says they have to stay in school all four years, they can leave earlier than that and go pro or do whatever they choose to do to make money.

My issue is(and anyone that says differently is lying), is a vast majority that are in favor of this(they will never admit this...well because they won't), just want this to essentially be "free reign" without any kind of NCAA regulation(because everyone thinks the NCAA is inept and they hate them). Of course people will say "that's not what I said", sure not openly, but I'd guarantee you you think that. So...the NCAA will regulate it in some way, and then you will all bitch because those regulations are "unfair" and too stringent.

I mean many of you are already on record as saying you are in favor of this AND allowing them to still compete. That just tells you no matter what the NCAA does to regulate it, none of you will agree with it. You just want the NCAA to bend over and take it. You want them to have no control over ANYTHING that goes on in THEIR organization. Let the inmates run the asylum. Imagine someone coming into your business and telling you how you can or can't run it.

So, in conclusion...sure, this will likely become a thing, but...the ONLY ways I can get on board with it completely(and of course people will say that's stupid, because they want free reign remember) A. Any athlete that accepts monetary compensation for their likeness has two choices...either: They are no longer able to compete in athletics at the University(I can even be reasonable and allow regular season participation just not post season) Or...they must sign a BINDING contract with said party(the one paying them for likeness) for a period of 4 years..in which time, that also then contractually obligates you to THAT University for that time period, UNLESS you leave to pursue professional opportunities prior to that. but absolutely NO transferring to another institution.

That should help clean up the transfer problem for one thing, for another, the Universities should be allowed to get something out of this as well...in this instance if you commit to a University once you sign a contract(and you MUST have a contract), you are obligated to said school. Period. No exceptions(other than pro). You know that going in. No one is trying to run rough shod over you etc. No weaseling your way out of Wyoming University to go to a bigger city(school) to give yourself a better chance to make more. Nope. Nope. Nope.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1277 on: October 08, 2019, 05:01:40 PM »
“Let the inmates run the asylum”

🤔
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1278 on: October 08, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »
Yes, if you come out against other human beings' basic rights you are going to be ridiculed, and rightly so.

My point is, people can't say ANYTHING now days even if it's not harmful to anyone, without SOMEONE being offended. Also, we seem to lose cite of the fact that people have the right to free speech. People are offended by EVERYTHING.

And by the way, just a reminder, the three basic human rights are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. EVERYONE has those things.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1279 on: October 08, 2019, 05:02:28 PM »
Why are they being amateurs so important to you?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1280 on: October 08, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »
Uh oh...Myles Powell should be cashing a huge check for this...right?? he doesn't seem bothered by the fact his likeness is being used and he's not getting compensated for it, in fact he's using it as a way to tell younger kids that dreams can come true.

https://twitter.com/Myles_MBP_23/status/1181682665499643904?s=20

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1281 on: October 08, 2019, 05:10:09 PM »
Why are they being amateurs so important to you?

Because it's the right thing to do

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1282 on: October 08, 2019, 05:11:16 PM »
My point is, people can't say ANYTHING now days even if it's not harmful to anyone
, without SOMEONE being offended. Also, we seem to lose cite of the fact that people have the right to free speech. People are offended by EVERYTHING.

Who is abridging your right to free speech?

What you actually seem upset about--and this has run through many threads here--is that people dare criticize you.  You've repeatedly conflated the fact that people post disagreement with you as them trying to deny your free speech.  Nope.  You are free to post any crazy thing you want, but you are not free of the consequence of others criticizing your opinions. 

People being offended by your opinions has nothing to do with them taking away your right to free speech.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1283 on: October 08, 2019, 05:18:32 PM »

Olympic athletes are classified as amateurs but can profit off their likeness....is that wrong?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1284 on: October 08, 2019, 05:21:45 PM »
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/10/05/ncaa-digs-against-new/

The student athlete scholarship myth exposed here.  I’m glad the NCAA put this inmate back into his cell

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1285 on: October 08, 2019, 05:35:01 PM »
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/10/05/ncaa-digs-against-new/

The student athlete scholarship myth exposed here.  I’m glad the NCAA put this inmate back into his cell

Kind of ironic, you skipped completely over this part...instead wanting to point out what YOU liked about the article...

“It absolutely jeopardizes the amateur model and the collegiate model on a lot of fronts,” Utah State Athletic Director John Hartwell said.

“We can’t bury our heads in the sand.”

Also, I implore you to go back a few pages and watch the interview Jeff Goodman did with Mark Few on this very subject. But you won;t want to, and even if you did, you'd just criticize Few because "of course he's going to say that, he's one of them profiting off all this". Coaches don't make a damn dime from the players, they are employees of the school, the University pays them...somehow, people lose sight of that(because it won't fit their narrative then). Anyway, Mark Few-1 Gavin Newsome-0.  ;D

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1286 on: October 08, 2019, 05:57:10 PM »

So you think saying “they deserve it” is weak, but then you trot out this line???  Bwahahahahahaha!!!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1287 on: October 08, 2019, 06:06:06 PM »
So you think saying “they deserve it” is weak, but then you trot out this line???  Bwahahahahahaha!!!

You obviously missed the whole point of why I did that. Not surprised.  :)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1288 on: October 08, 2019, 06:12:58 PM »
Coaches don't make a damn dime from the players, they are employees of the school, the University pays them

Are you.f'ing kidding me? Like you can't be this dumb right, this is you being intentionally obtuse or some statement you missed putting in teal??? The coaches dont make a dime off the student athletes??? The coaches no doubt have value but nobody is paying money to watch Coach K coach
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #1289 on: October 08, 2019, 06:22:33 PM »
Because the amateur model was built on just that...student athletes competing for school pride, the love of the game. Amateur means not getting paid. That's why I am so appreciative of college sports. Sure, say all you want the amateur model is broken...for the schools that cheat yes it is, but the one's that don't(and there are many many that don't) still play by the rules and follow the amateur model. I don't want to see a bunch of kids just out competing because they have to in order to get paid, and not caring about anything else(and yes, some of them will do this). 

I realize that as a journalist one of the requirements you have is to spin things to fit your agenda, or your audience's agenda, but to think that this will be the ONLY change that is coming from this is quite frankly...idiotic. Schools will eventually be paying players directly,regular students and other athletes that don't make as much will file lawsuits, and it won't be this quick and easy transition like so many seem to think it will be.

Athletes are NOT employees, whether you think they are or not. They are choosing to go to college and using that non profit organization as their platform to perform. For a lot of them, it's where they first get "noticed" and get the attention drawn to them.
In exchange for being allowed to use that platform they are getting scholarships, free room and board etc. How many regular students do you think would LOVE a chance like that??

The Federal court in the O'Bannon case ruled that the cost of a scholarship was adequate compensation. It was then, it should be now, and it should be for eternity.

I don't agree that things should change "for changes sake". Sometimes, changes are good, sometimes they are bad. But since the NCAA started this is the way it has always been. Athletes have known that since they started playing college sports. If it is truly such a hardship for them, they have other options...they can explore professional opportunities at home or abroad, or they can stop playing altogether and get out into the work force and start making money. No one is stopping them. Yet, a vast majority don't do that now and they aren't making a dime. And, the beauty is, no one even says they have to stay in school all four years, they can leave earlier than that and go pro or do whatever they choose to do to make money.

My issue is(and anyone that says differently is lying), is a vast majority that are in favor of this(they will never admit this...well because they won't), just want this to essentially be "free reign" without any kind of NCAA regulation(because everyone thinks the NCAA is inept and they hate them). Of course people will say "that's not what I said", sure not openly, but I'd guarantee you you think that. So...the NCAA will regulate it in some way, and then you will all bitch because those regulations are "unfair" and too stringent.

I mean many of you are already on record as saying you are in favor of this AND allowing them to still compete. That just tells you no matter what the NCAA does to regulate it, none of you will agree with it. You just want the NCAA to bend over and take it. You want them to have no control over ANYTHING that goes on in THEIR organization. Let the inmates run the asylum. Imagine someone coming into your business and telling you how you can or can't run it.

So, in conclusion...sure, this will likely become a thing, but...the ONLY ways I can get on board with it completely(and of course people will say that's stupid, because they want free reign remember) A. Any athlete that accepts monetary compensation for their likeness has two choices...either: They are no longer able to compete in athletics at the University(I can even be reasonable and allow regular season participation just not post season) Or...they must sign a BINDING contract with said party(the one paying them for likeness) for a period of 4 years..in which time, that also then contractually obligates you to THAT University for that time period, UNLESS you leave to pursue professional opportunities prior to that. but absolutely NO transferring to another institution.

That should help clean up the transfer problem for one thing, for another, the Universities should be allowed to get something out of this as well...in this instance if you commit to a University once you sign a contract(and you MUST have a contract), you are obligated to said school. Period. No exceptions(other than pro). You know that going in. No one is trying to run rough shod over you etc. No weaseling your way out of Wyoming University to go to a bigger city(school) to give yourself a better chance to make more. Nope. Nope. Nope.
I stopped at “because.” Anybody wanna summarize?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1290 on: October 08, 2019, 06:39:28 PM »
Olympic athletes are classified as amateurs but can profit off their likeness....is that wrong?
speaking for me, apples and potatoes. Different counteies arent vying to have thoses athletes compete under their flag.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1291 on: October 08, 2019, 06:40:16 PM »
I stopped at “because.” Anybody wanna summarize?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1292 on: October 08, 2019, 06:49:45 PM »

I'm going to take an educated WAG that you're a millenial.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1293 on: October 08, 2019, 07:23:42 PM »
Okay, then take the scholarships away from the student athletes(goods and services). Make them pay their own way to play sports at the college level. How many do you think would do that??
Nobody is going to listen to me, but the answer I would suggest is that a player retains his eligibility either way he chooses. The player can choose to take a scholarship and not take any compensation or he can choose to take compensation, but then he does not get a scholarship. The player has to decide which way is better. The player can choose either method before the start of the academic year. Either way the player would count towards the 13 player scholarship limit.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1294 on: October 08, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »
I'm going to take an educated WAG that you're a millenial.

Pretty sure that Rico is a Gen Xer
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1295 on: October 08, 2019, 07:29:45 PM »
Pretty sure that Rico is a Gen Xer

Sadly, I’m not in any preferred demographic

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1296 on: October 08, 2019, 07:32:06 PM »
Why can't a player play for school pride (and scholarship) and also make money off their likeness?

Also, why does players making money off their likeness automatically mean that the universities will have to pay them directly? If anything I think it helps keep the universities from every having to pay them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1297 on: October 08, 2019, 07:56:33 PM »
Sadly, I’m not in any preferred demographic

Dead?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1298 on: October 08, 2019, 08:35:15 PM »
Ummm... Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Jeremy Roenick, Joe Sakic, etc.

Michael Phelps could not swim for Michigan because he was a professional.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1299 on: October 08, 2019, 08:47:53 PM »

A lot of passion in this long diatribe of yours.

So to summarize ... in response to my question: "How will the change affect you in any way?" ... your answer is it will not.

Just as leaving it the same will not affect other Scoopers in any way, which was the question that you kept asking over and over. None of us are supposed to be affected by this change. Our college eligibility as athletes expired long ago.

Thanks for confirming that this change won't affect you or me or hoopaloop or wades or brewski or TAMU in any way. It doesn't have to affect us.

It's the right thing to do, and I like being on the right side of history.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson