[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129133 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #950 on: February 06, 2020, 09:37:34 AM »
Michigan baseball was put on probation and received a two-year postseason ban back in the 90s for providing extra benefits, including cash, to players.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView?id=99

And in 1993, Michigan was one of seven Big 10 programs found to be awarding improper financial aid in multiple sports.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView?id=127

But other than the four major infraction findings (these two and the football and basketball probation cases) in the past 20 years, Michigan has an exceptional record of playing well within the rules.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #951 on: February 06, 2020, 09:44:27 AM »
Yeah but they acted quickly and aggressively, so the cheating doesn't count.  Michigan never cheats.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #952 on: February 06, 2020, 10:31:57 AM »
Yeah but they acted quickly and aggressively, so the cheating doesn't count.  Michigan never cheats.
Yeah, the Ed Martin scandal was real quick. I think Fisher was fired in 1997, and Michigan then put self imposed sanctions in 2002. Every program has its warts. No need to defend this so vigorously, Keefe. It's just sports.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #953 on: February 06, 2020, 06:12:48 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #954 on: February 06, 2020, 06:25:37 PM »
Driving the athletic director’s wife’s car?

I recently heard no drama ever occurs in Michigan’s athletic department.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #955 on: February 06, 2020, 06:50:10 PM »
Yeah, the Ed Martin scandal was real quick. I think Fisher was fired in 1997, and Michigan then put self imposed sanctions in 2002. Every program has its warts. No need to defend this so vigorously, Keefe. It's just sports.

Give them some leeway here.  The Martin scandal had only been going on since the '80s with Antoine Jobert and was actually discovered in 1996. When you're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars over more than a decade you need time to investigate.

Oh, and Brandon Gibbons and Taylor Lewan were quite the team...
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #956 on: February 06, 2020, 07:29:14 PM »
Driving the athletic director’s wife’s car?

I recently heard no drama ever occurs in Michigan’s athletic department.
there has to be a better version of the story. I was thinking more along the lines of Animal House, and the underage daughter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #957 on: February 10, 2020, 09:00:36 AM »
MSU was turned down by Luke Fickell today.  They have now been turned down by a number of sitting head coaches and a couple NFL assistants.  Probably going to resort to the internal interim guy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #958 on: February 10, 2020, 10:04:07 AM »
MSU was turned down by Luke Fickell today.  They have now been turned down by a number of sitting head coaches and a couple NFL assistants.  Probably going to resort to the internal interim guy.

I have a buddy who is a pretty sizable Big10 homer, and he was trying to argue MSU was a top 20 job.  This made me literally laugh/snort out loud.  I think at best its the 5th best job in the B10, and that depends how you think of Nebraska.  I think its probably around 30th in the country, and thats solely due to Dantonio.  Nobody had true success there for 25+ years until he came, even Saban's best year was 2 losses and came after a couple mediocre ones and he bolted as soon as he could.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #959 on: February 10, 2020, 11:20:14 AM »
I have a buddy who is a pretty sizable Big10 homer, and he was trying to argue MSU was a top 20 job.  This made me literally laugh/snort out loud.  I think at best its the 5th best job in the B10, and that depends how you think of Nebraska.  I think its probably around 30th in the country, and thats solely due to Dantonio.  Nobody had true success there for 25+ years until he came, even Saban's best year was 2 losses and came after a couple mediocre ones and he bolted as soon as he could.

An argument can be made it’s a top-20 job because of the money available for it.  It’s a Big Ten job and money is close to limitless for assistant pay, facilities and access to recruits via private jets. 

All that said, it’s the 4th best job in their league.  Michigan continues to produce less blue chip talent and MSU has to recruit Pennsylvania and Ohio well and do so against Penn State and Ohio State.  Their best seasons coincided with the Rich Rod/Brady Hoke years and Penn State shuffling coaches in and out.  Their ceiling is losing 38-0 in the BCS playoffs.  And that’s probably once every 25 years. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #960 on: February 10, 2020, 11:27:17 AM »

no, they've been turned down by Luke Fickell. He was the guy they immediately targeted.  The only other guy mentioned so far is Mel Tucker. I fully expect them to end up hiring Mike Tressel, it appeared he was hired to be the eventual successor, it just came open sooner than expected. I find it amusing when people play insider on message boards pretending to know what is going on in coaching searches.  ::)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #961 on: February 10, 2020, 11:43:15 AM »
An argument can be made it’s a top-20 job because of the money available for it.  It’s a Big Ten job and money is close to limitless for assistant pay, facilities and access to recruits via private jets. 

All that said, it’s the 4th best job in their league.  Michigan continues to produce less blue chip talent and MSU has to recruit Pennsylvania and Ohio well and do so against Penn State and Ohio State.  Their best seasons coincided with the Rich Rod/Brady Hoke years and Penn State shuffling coaches in and out.  Their ceiling is losing 38-0 in the BCS playoffs.  And that’s probably once every 25 years.

Dantonio's comp was listed as 24th highest, and below him on that list are coaches at places like USC, LSU, and Oregon which are clearly better jobs (and ND cause Kelly's listed salary is far below his actual comp).  Assistant pay is about the same.  The compensation is good, but its still in that range with a bunch of schools that are the argument for the 25-30th best jobs in the country.

And I dont think MSU is the 4th best job at all.  You just mentioned Michigan is down talent wise as a state.  And they aren't even the top program in their own state, and have to recruit PSU and OSU in their home states, plus Michigan competes with them there.  Nebraska and Wisconsin have a much stronger grasp on their home state talent and other nearby pipelines with less comp.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #962 on: February 10, 2020, 11:48:21 AM »
Dantonio's comp was listed as 24th highest, and below him on that list are coaches at places like USC, LSU, and Oregon which are clearly better jobs (and ND cause Kelly's listed salary is far below his actual comp).  Assistant pay is about the same.  The compensation is good, but its still in that range with a bunch of schools that are the argument for the 25-30th best jobs in the country.

And I dont think MSU is the 4th best job at all.  You just mentioned Michigan is down talent wise as a state.  And they aren't even the top program in their own state, and have to recruit PSU and OSU in their home states, plus Michigan competes with them there.  Nebraska and Wisconsin have a much stronger grasp on their home state talent and other nearby pipelines with less comp.

I even think its debatable whether or not the MSU job is better than Iowa.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #963 on: February 10, 2020, 11:50:39 AM »
I’m starting to pop the popcorn for if Bielema gets the job.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #964 on: February 10, 2020, 12:32:08 PM »

Oh, I agree UW, Nebraska and even Iowa are better jobs overall.  I meant 4th best in their own division, not the whole Big 14.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #965 on: February 10, 2020, 12:59:06 PM »
Oh, I agree UW, Nebraska and even Iowa are better jobs overall.  I meant 4th best in their own division, not the whole Big 14.

Is Nebraska a better job now? Their performance in the Big 10 has not been strong.  They lost their Texas pipeline making the move. Their record since joining, going into last season, is the same as Northwestern.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/09/nebraska-middle-of-pack-since-joining-big-ten-how-that-compares-to-penn-state-rutgers-maryland-buckeye-numbers.html

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #966 on: February 10, 2020, 01:24:21 PM »
Is Nebraska a better job now? Their performance in the Big 10 has not been strong.  They lost their Texas pipeline making the move. Their record since joining, going into last season, is the same as Northwestern.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/09/nebraska-middle-of-pack-since-joining-big-ten-how-that-compares-to-penn-state-rutgers-maryland-buckeye-numbers.html
yes.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #967 on: February 10, 2020, 01:55:51 PM »

I think it’s better than Michigan State but the halcyon days of Tom Osborne aren’t coming back

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #968 on: February 10, 2020, 05:11:50 PM »

Frank Solich.....classic example of a deranged fan base that fired a coach because they can do better and they have never come close since he was let go.  Careful what you wish for.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #969 on: February 10, 2020, 05:47:09 PM »

Frank Solich.....classic example of a deranged fan base that fired a coach because they can do better and they have never come close since he was let go.  Careful what you wish for.

Nebraska football was slipping before Solich was fired. Recruiting was suffering and results showed.

But the biggest problem was hiring Bill Callahan as head coach.  Just because you make a bad hire doesn’t mean the firing was the wrong idea.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #970 on: February 10, 2020, 05:51:13 PM »
I’m starting to pop the popcorn for if Bielema gets the job.

If anyone ever deserved each other, it is Bielema and MSU.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #971 on: February 10, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »
Nebraska football was slipping before Solich was fired. Recruiting was suffering and results showed.

But the biggest problem was hiring Bill Callahan as head coach.  Just because you make a bad hire doesn’t mean the firing was the wrong idea.

This is true.

Death on call

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #972 on: February 10, 2020, 08:12:25 PM »

Yes it was. Solich was hand-picked by Osborne but couldn’t hack it. Biggest mistake was hiring Scott Pederson as Athletic Director, who brought in Callahan.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #973 on: February 12, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »
Mel Tucker changes his mind after MSU throws a ton of money at him.

I'm not sure how good Tucker is, but his agricultural business management degree from UW-Madison is bound to be a better fallback option in Michigan than it would be in Colorado.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #974 on: February 12, 2020, 09:47:49 AM »
Mel Tucker changes his mind after MSU throws a ton of money at him.

I'm not sure how good Tucker is, but his agricultural business management degree from UW-Madison is bound to be a better fallback option in Michigan than it would be in Colorado.

Never been in the same job for more than 3 years.  Had success in the NFL in Cleveland but bombed in Chicago.  Was at Georgia from 2016-18, spent time at Ohio State in the mid-2000’s.  Doubled his salary.  The disparity between the haves and have nots in college football is growing quite large