collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 185449 times)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2019, 09:47:26 PM »
Has that ball landed yet?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2019, 10:26:04 PM »
Has that ball landed yet?
I think it hit the moon.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2019, 12:38:43 AM »
Those are some of the best uniforms in baseball history too.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2019, 07:24:01 AM »
While in Cooperstown, I saw a t-shirt.    'I guess there was no curse.   (Chicago just sucked for 108 years)'     I almost bought it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2019, 07:32:26 AM »
Respectfully, it's OK to disagree but I question what's inaccurate. Specifically:

1) To Cardinal Nation, there is baseball and then .... I guess Blues Hockey right now is really hot.

2) Do you really think Cardinal Nation would tolerate the level of mediocrity that Cub fans have tolerated since the 1940s? We had a couple of bad decades in the 1950s, 1970s and for parts of the 1980s and 1990s. At times in the late 1980s, the team was positively awful. The latter was because the Brewery didn't care after Gussie died. The natives were very restless. The result was new ownership and Tony LaRussa!

3) The Cubs record before 2016 was clear. They were marketed as lovable losers. Check it out. There were some better than average teams (1969, 1984, 1998, 2003, 2007, 2008) but there was a clear lack of sustained success. During the Tribune ownership, the Cubs were a $20 million investment in programming about 160 days a year on WGN-TV and radio. The record was only meaningful if it put more butts in seats, more eyes on WGN and new revenue that met an internal hurdle rate.

4) Cub fans over and over have told me that I was a fair weather fan. If having expectations is fair weather, I plead guilty. But like many Cardinal fans, I've lived and died with the team since my youth. I've been disappointed that the Cardinals have not been in the playoffs since 2015 and that awful divisional series, but I remain hopeful this year's team will break the spell -- and likely lose to the Dodgers!  ;D

I appreciate your positivity and enthusiasm.

I just think you may be confusing that market's pro and college sports fandoms vs what yours might be.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:39:54 AM by shoothoops »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »
Brutal week for the Cubs. Their starters last 3 games: 20 IP, 2 ER/25 K/2 BB.

Loss, loss, loss. That’s tough right there.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2019, 10:16:55 PM »
For some reason Bill Walton is helping to call the Sox game. 

It is... well... something different.  I am honestly not sure if he has ever seen a baseball game before this.

EDIT:  HAHAHAH  Benetti just had to explain that a play was a replay as Walton was getting excited.  WTF is going on.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:20:02 PM by buckchuckler »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2019, 11:33:27 PM »
For some reason Bill Walton is helping to call the Sox game. 

It is... well... something different.  I am honestly not sure if he has ever seen a baseball game before this.

EDIT:  HAHAHAH  Benetti just had to explain that a play was a replay as Walton was getting excited.  WTF is going on.

Last time he did this, he asked how many innings were in a game. MLB is utterly shameless.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2019, 12:55:55 AM »
Last time he did this, he asked how many innings were in a game. MLB is utterly shameless.

I have to say, it was as entertaining as  could possibly be. I was cracking up the whole game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2019, 06:33:50 AM »
Brutal week for the Cubs. Their starters last 3 games: 20 IP, 2 ER/25 K/2 BB.

Loss, loss, loss. That’s tough right there.

It will be a good test of their mental fortitude.

These kinds of crushing, late-inning defeats can crush the collective soul of a team. On the flip side, those that emerge from such adversity and start winning again can be steeled against future challenges and go on to have great success.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2019, 07:41:01 AM »
I have to say, it was as entertaining as  could possibly be. I was cracking up the whole game.

Yeah, Walton was pure gold. A second game might be grating, but as a one off it was fantastic 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2019, 08:21:38 AM »
Yeah, Walton was pure gold. A second game might be grating, but as a one off it was fantastic

Another feather in Benetti’s cap. He handled Walton beautifully and was a great straight man to his absurdity

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2019, 10:12:40 AM »
Another feather in Benetti’s cap. He handled Walton beautifully and was a great straight man to his absurdity

Benetti is the best. I’ve been lucky to loosely befriend him since he started calling Sox games, he is the nicest person you will ever meet.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2019, 12:18:06 PM »

I have MLB Extra Innings, and would've fallen asleep last night watching a random West Coast game.  With Walton in the booth, I watched the Sox/Angels game.  He was thoroughly entertaining, (and Bennetti is a treasure).

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2019, 09:39:09 PM »
I have MLB Extra Innings, and would've fallen asleep last night watching a random West Coast game.  With Walton in the booth, I watched the Sox/Angels game.  He was thoroughly entertaining, (and Bennetti is a treasure).

So basically baseball is unwatchable unless the game’s being called by a terrible basketball announcer.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2019, 10:10:37 PM »
Hader has now blown 4 out of his last 5 save opportunities.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2019, 10:25:12 PM »
Benetti is the best. I’ve been lucky to loosely befriend him since he started calling Sox games, he is the nicest person you will ever meet.

You might enjoy this then

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20190817/how-sox-broadcasters-benettis-awkward-moments-promotes-understanding-of-disabilities

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2019, 10:49:49 PM »
You might enjoy this then

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20190817/how-sox-broadcasters-benettis-awkward-moments-promotes-understanding-of-disabilities

I don’t know if anyone finds this interesting or not, but I get to see Benetti a few times a year and we email each other maybe a handful of times a year. I saw him over the winter at a charity event, and was talking to him about the Awkward Moments videos, and mentioned to him that my son (now 9) was asked by his school to give a talk on living with leukemia, and I was coaching my son on public speaking with the help of Jason’s videos. My son’s talk was the second week of the baseball season, but Benetti called to wish him good luck, and asked me to video my son’s talk so I could email it to him. After I sent it to him, maybe an hour later, he sent an awesome email that I shared with my son.

He’s invited our family up to the booth before a couple games, he routinely does that for families with special needs. I don’t say any of this to name drop or anything like that, I want people to know he is legit an awesome guy.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2019, 11:53:58 PM »
I don’t know if anyone finds this interesting or not, but I get to see Benetti a few times a year and we email each other maybe a handful of times a year. I saw him over the winter at a charity event, and was talking to him about the Awkward Moments videos, and mentioned to him that my son (now 9) was asked by his school to give a talk on living with leukemia, and I was coaching my son on public speaking with the help of Jason’s videos. My son’s talk was the second week of the baseball season, but Benetti called to wish him good luck, and asked me to video my son’s talk so I could email it to him. After I sent it to him, maybe an hour later, he sent an awesome email that I shared with my son.

He’s invited our family up to the booth before a couple games, he routinely does that for families with special needs. I don’t say any of this to name drop or anything like that, I want people to know he is legit an awesome guy.

Nice story, Dish.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2019, 02:56:40 AM »

That’s fantastic. His on-air delivery and cadence/approach reminds me a lot of Sean McDonoagh, which is a tremendous compliment as I think he’s in the Al Michaels pantheon of PBP greatness, but who I’ve always heard a number of great stories about. Seems like the good PBP guys are often very personable, down to earth, and great guys, which is what allows them to mesh seamlessly with “big” personalities you often get with color guys, as well as an appeal and relatability to the viewer.

As for his approach to disabilities, I couldn’t love it more. It reminds me of 2 contrasting interactions I had in my early 20s. My friend dated a girl who had an underdeveloped hand and it was a constant source of embarrassment and insecurity for her, and as a result was kind of difficult for those of us in her periphery. Despite knowing us well, she’d be reticent and self conscious, very cautious about it all (until she drank and loosened up unfortunately.) Conversely, I interviewed a young lady for a student organization I helped lead my final year of university. She had a similar condition, and she led off her interview making a joke about it, inviting any questions, and completely disarmed the group. In my experience, no matter the condition or quality that differentiates the person from the “norm”, openness, candor, and comfort is the most powerful bridge builder and educator.

What an awesome experience for your son (and he’s had many!)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2019, 04:38:33 AM »
Hader has now blown 4 out of his last 5 save opportunities.

Mayger leegers kan hit da fastball. Unless Hater develops sum movement on his balls  ;D and lerns how ta throw an off speed pitch, he'll continue ta get hammered. The loss of Knebel and pitching coach from last season is killin' dem, aina?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:25:49 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2019, 06:31:51 AM »
Luckily the Nats bullpen is just as bad. What a wild game last night
/this morning

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2019, 09:58:55 AM »
Last night’s game was so long that Jack White left in the 3rd to go perform and still made it back to see the finish.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2019, 11:06:46 AM »
Luckily the Nats bullpen is just as bad. What a wild game last night
/this morning

The Brewers sure find a way to shoot themselves in the foot over and over and over again. When Hiura threw wide in the 14th, it felt consistent with everything else I've witnessed from this team this season.

And yet, one game back. Speaks more to the fact that the NL Central should be barred from the postseason, but still...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2019, 05:47:30 PM »
The Brewers sure find a way to shoot themselves in the foot over and over and over again. When Hiura threw wide in the 14th, it felt consistent with everything else I've witnessed from this team this season.

And yet, one game back. Speaks more to the fact that the NL Central should be barred from the postseason, but still...

And it makes the pissing thread a swollen prostrated trickle.  No fun and it sure can be painful.