collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 185481 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2019, 07:14:42 AM »
That’s fantastic. His on-air delivery and cadence/approach reminds me a lot of Sean McDonoagh, which is a tremendous compliment as I think he’s in the Al Michaels pantheon of PBP greatness, but who I’ve always heard a number of great stories about. Seems like the good PBP guys are often very personable, down to earth, and great guys, which is what allows them to mesh seamlessly with “big” personalities you often get with color guys, as well as an appeal and relatability to the viewer.

As for his approach to disabilities, I couldn’t love it more. It reminds me of 2 contrasting interactions I had in my early 20s. My friend dated a girl who had an underdeveloped hand and it was a constant source of embarrassment and insecurity for her, and as a result was kind of difficult for those of us in her periphery. Despite knowing us well, she’d be reticent and self conscious, very cautious about it all (until she drank and loosened up unfortunately.) Conversely, I interviewed a young lady for a student organization I helped lead my final year of university. She had a similar condition, and she led off her interview making a joke about it, inviting any questions, and completely disarmed the group. In my experience, no matter the condition or quality that differentiates the person from the “norm”, openness, candor, and comfort is the most powerful bridge builder and educator.

What an awesome experience for your son (and he’s had many!)
I watched the game on Saturday because he did the game with Michael Schur, who I really like.  It was a weird broadcast in that they were basically just having a conversation while the game went on, but I enjoyed it immensely.  They told you the important stuff that was happening, of course.  Watching a game with two interesting guys talking about the game here, about baseball in general, about the things they are doing, is much more enjoyable than listening to the color guy describe for the millionth time why a pitch was low or describe in detail what we saw with our own eyes and know already, IMO.

I read Phil Mushnick in the New York Post who basically hates every announcer since Bob Costas, but he says something repeatedly that makes sense.  If you were sitting at a game with someone, would you go into the minutia of every detail?  Do you think the person next to you would want to hear that?  Then why say it on a broadcast?

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »
I watched the game on Saturday because he did the game with Michael Schur, who I really like.  It was a weird broadcast in that they were basically just having a conversation while the game went on, but I enjoyed it immensely.  They told you the important stuff that was happening, of course.  Watching a game with two interesting guys talking about the game here, about baseball in general, about the things they are doing, is much more enjoyable than listening to the color guy describe for the millionth time why a pitch was low or describe in detail what we saw with our own eyes and know already, IMO.

I read Phil Mushnick in the New York Post who basically hates every announcer since Bob Costas, but he says something repeatedly that makes sense.  If you were sitting at a game with someone, would you go into the minutia of every detail?  Do you think the person next to you would want to hear that?  Then why say it on a broadcast?

That Walton broadcast was obviously “out there” and fun as a one off, but I enjoyed all three Sox broadcasts this weekend because of what you described. It was two guys just having a conversation, and Benetti is really good at multitasking play by play with conversational talk. I thought Schur got more comfortable as the game went on, and I was actually disappointed when the game was over because I felt like I wanted more.

I think this kind of broadcast needs the right play by play guy (Kasper is really good at this style too), and baseball is certainly the sport that can and should experiment with this.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »
The kids have spoken.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/javier-baez-is-the-most-popular-player-at-the-little-league-world-series/c-291423462

Most exciting player in baseball history.  The tags!

I know I find guys who swing out of their shoes at 58 foot breaking balls to be incredibly fun to watch.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2019, 03:04:12 PM »

I know I find guys who swing out of their shoes at 58 foot breaking balls to be incredibly fun to watch.

If you don't find Baez fun and exciting to watch, you're a hater, plain and simple (but then again, consider the source I guess, you'd hate on Trout as being a bum if he was a Cub).  I don't think he's anywhere near the player Trout is, but he has an incredible baseball mind and a fearlessness to his game, plus flair and charisma thats fun to watch and something kids are drawn to.  He's like an MLB Vince Carter, except a comparatively better player in his sport.  Hell, the fact that he has almost a .900 OPS despite still having a frustrating lack of plate discipline is remarkable.

And its become a running joke, I get it, but the no look tags are absolutely absurd.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:54:50 PM by JWags85 »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2019, 03:19:06 PM »
If you don't find Baez fun and exciting to watch, you're a hater, plain and simple (but then again, consider the source I guess, you'd hate on Trout as being a bum if he was a Cub).  I don't think he's anywhere near the player Trout is, but he has an incredible baseball mind and a fearlessness to his game, plus flair and charisma thats fun to watch and something kids are drawn to.  He's MLB Vince Carter, except a comparatively better player.  Hell, the fact that he has almost a .900 OPS despite still having a frustrating lack of plate discipline is remarkable.

And its become a running joke, I get it, but the no look tags are absolutely absurd.

He's a comparatively better player than prime Vince Carter?

Other than that, agreed. Javy is fun.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2019, 03:25:10 PM »
If you don't find Baez fun and exciting to watch, you're a hater, plain and simple (but then again, consider the source I guess, you'd hate on Trout as being a bum if he was a Cub).  I don't think he's anywhere near the player Trout is, but he has an incredible baseball mind and a fearlessness to his game, plus flair and charisma thats fun to watch and something kids are drawn to.  He's MLB Vince Carter, except a comparatively better player.  Hell, the fact that he has almost a .900 OPS despite still having a frustrating lack of plate discipline is remarkable.

I'm a White Sox fan, despise the Cubs.

Anyone who doesn't think Javy Baez is an exciting and outstanding player is baseball illiterate. Period.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2019, 03:54:13 PM »
He's a comparatively better player than prime Vince Carter?

Other than that, agreed. Javy is fun.

I probably phrased that bad.  Javy is a better baseball player at his "prime" now, than Vince Carter was as a basketball player in his prime.  Carter never made 1st team All NBA or finished top 10 in the MVP voting.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2019, 05:14:10 PM »
If you don't find Baez fun and exciting to watch, you're a hater, plain and simple (but then again, consider the source I guess, you'd hate on Trout as being a bum if he was a Cub).  I don't think he's anywhere near the player Trout is, but he has an incredible baseball mind and a fearlessness to his game, plus flair and charisma thats fun to watch and something kids are drawn to.  He's like an MLB Vince Carter, except a comparatively better player in his sport.  Hell, the fact that he has almost a .900 OPS despite still having a frustrating lack of plate discipline is remarkable.

Isn't Vince Carter a sure fire HOFer?

Late to the party and I see you addressed it, but still, that seems like sketchy logic to me. 

It also may be nit picky, but an OPS of .859 is not almost .900 in my estimation. But that doesn't take too much away from your point.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 05:20:57 PM by buckchuckler »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2019, 05:29:31 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2019, 06:47:52 PM »
That Walton broadcast was obviously “out there” and fun as a one off, but I enjoyed all three Sox broadcasts this weekend because of what you described. It was two guys just having a conversation, and Benetti is really good at multitasking play by play with conversational talk. I thought Schur got more comfortable as the game went on, and I was actually disappointed when the game was over because I felt like I wanted more.

I think this kind of broadcast needs the right play by play guy (Kasper is really good at this style too), and baseball is certainly the sport that can and should experiment with this.

I enjoyed the outcomes of most of the games this past weekend with PaleHoes and Halos.  Walton...I watched the highlights and it was good for a bit, but not sure how 9 innings would have made that go down.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2019, 07:45:24 PM »
I enjoyed the outcomes of most of the games this past weekend with PaleHoes and Halos.  Walton...I watched the highlights and it was good for a bit, but not sure how 9 innings would have made that go down.

It was awesome. You wouldn't have liked it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2019, 09:56:32 PM »
Isn't Vince Carter a sure fire HOFer?

Late to the party and I see you addressed it, but still, that seems like sketchy logic to me. 

It also may be nit picky, but an OPS of .859 is not almost .900 in my estimation. But that doesn't take too much away from your point.

He will be because of longevity, not because of his peak.  If he retired in 2011 or so, when he stopped being a go-to guy, he wouldn't be in the convo.  But he's carved out that secondary role later in his career and broke that 20,000 pt mark and is top 20 all time I believe, so he will be.

MLB is odd though.  Baez is amazing and just reaching his peak, but he could easily be a guy like Morneau or Caminiti who won MVPs, Gold Gloves, strung a couple straight ASG appearances, but fell off quickly and won't sniff the HOF. Hope I'm wrong

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2019, 10:01:51 PM »
The kids have spoken.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/javier-baez-is-the-most-popular-player-at-the-little-league-world-series/c-291423462

Gosh, I hate the Little League World Series. I wish it would just get up and go away.

It's everything that's wrong with sports!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2019, 10:02:28 PM »
It was awesome. You wouldn't have liked it.

I can see how some people are easily amused, like going to the big city for the first time and seeing tall buildings.

Walton’s thing is so old to the locals here that it just isn’t all that fresh, but I do find him mildly amusing.  It was awesome...based on these clips your definition of awesome and mine are a lot different.

https://apple.news/Ahq4ZihBHQvqCBq2K40ZVtg

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2019, 10:03:45 PM »
Gosh, I hate the Little League World Series. I wish it would just get up and go away.

My oldest son participated and the boys went pretty far.  Another Orange County team won the whole thing that year in Williamsport.  We loved every minute of it.  Not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2019, 11:10:43 PM »

MLB is odd though.  Baez is amazing and just reaching his peak, but he could easily be a guy like Morneau or Caminiti who won MVPs, Gold Gloves, strung a couple straight ASG appearances, but fell off quickly and won't sniff the HOF. Hope I'm wrong

Well you certainty wouldn't wish debilitating concussions or death on anyone.  But those are some solid reasons for careers to fall apart.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2019, 12:05:32 AM »
Speaking of Mike Trout, last weekend he tied Derek Jeter in career WAR at 72.4 for 57th (for position players) all-time.

Everyone in front of him is in the Hall-of-Fame except Jeter, A-Rod, and Beltre who haven’t been on the ballot yet.

He’s 28.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2019, 12:18:51 AM »
Speaking of Mike Trout, last weekend he tied Derek Jeter in career WAR at 72.4 for 57th (for position players) all-time.

Everyone in front of him is in the Hall-of-Fame except Jeter, A-Rod, and Beltre who haven’t been on the ballot yet.

He’s 28.

Almost.  Larry Walker is at 72.7, not in HOF and his last year of eligibility coming up.

Just hoping we can get this guy some pitching and stop the insane path to Tommy John surgery by this club.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2019, 08:04:26 AM »

Agreed with one modification.  It's everything that is wrong with *youth* sports. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2019, 08:06:38 AM »
What are everyone's thoughts on Dan Plesac doing more Brewers games? I've heard some very polarizing takes. On the one hand, I love BA and the Brewers fans are lucky to enjoy him as long as he stays below national. But Plesac brings some Bob Uecker energy to the box.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2019, 08:17:00 AM »
What are everyone's thoughts on Dan Plesac doing more Brewers games? I've heard some very polarizing takes. On the one hand, I love BA and the Brewers fans are lucky to enjoy him as long as he stays below national. But Plesac brings some Bob Uecker energy to the box.

He was terrible.  Talked way too much.  Made the same points over and over and over again.  Said way too many brainless, "jock like" things.  The problem could have been with Craig Coshun, who is a good pre and post game host, but not really that great of a play by play guy.  You have to be able to fill time with conversation as a baseball announcer, and Coshun just didn't do that.  I never thought I would say this but Matt Lepay really has gotten better as a substitute, but I'm sure he was taking a break before his UW duties start up in a couple of weeks.

Bill Schroeder is pretty good.  He's gotten better and his chemistry with BA is wonderful.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2019, 09:13:21 AM »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2019, 09:51:28 AM »
Old timers being old, or do they have a point?

Baseball unwatchable now?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/08/19/mlb-baseballs-old-timers-decry-state-modern-game/2047025001/

I think they have a point that the game is less interesting.  Besides all of the home runs and strikeouts, the pitching changes, time between pitches, etc.  It's just takes too much time with little action.

But when Gossage complains about this current era of GMs and managers, the fact is that teams are winning when they go heavy analytics.  So spare me the "Harvard rotisserie league" crap.  And it's hard to respect old coaches like Pinella when he brags about never putting on a shift.  By refusing to do that, he is sacrificing a greater chance of winning the game for the sake of...pride??  Tradition???

So I think it's fair to say some of these guys just haven't evolved with the game.  But OTOH, it's OK to not like how the game has evolved.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2019, 10:37:31 AM »

I think they have a point that the game is less interesting.  Besides all of the home runs and strikeouts, the pitching changes, time between pitches, etc.  It's just takes too much time with little action.

But when Gossage complains about this current era of GMs and managers, the fact is that teams are winning when they go heavy analytics.  So spare me the "Harvard rotisserie league" crap.  And it's hard to respect old coaches like Pinella when he brags about never putting on a shift.  By refusing to do that, he is sacrificing a greater chance of winning the game for the sake of...pride??  Tradition???

So I think it's fair to say some of these guys just haven't evolved with the game.  But OTOH, it's OK to not like how the game has evolved.

That whole article read like "old man yells at clouds".  Smaller ballparks, potentially juiced ball, I get that complaint.  And pace of the game is still bad.  But complaining about launch angle is like all the old timers who complain about NBA players shooting too many 3s.  Its been shown clearly by analytics that "small ball" is less effective in baseball, but these guys will b**ch and moan cause its different than what they grew up with.

The attendance issue is interesting, but I don't think its cause people are shifting or using less hit and runs.  Its cause baseball is super regional (people dont watch many out of market teams), baseball isn't great TV for the casual fan (due to stoppages and runtime), and because MLB is draconian in the social media policy, so they don't bring in casual fans through highlights.   

The last one is just baffling to me.   A policy that would make Dollar Bill Wirtz beam with pride.  A great play happens in the NBA and it spreads through my Twitter in minutes and everyone is talking about it.  Trout does something incredible, as he often does, MAYBE I see it the next day from an official source.