[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 187242 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2019, 10:43:26 AM »

I think they have a point that the game is less interesting.  Besides all of the home runs and strikeouts, the pitching changes, time between pitches, etc.  It's just takes too much time with little action.

But when Gossage complains about this current era of GMs and managers, the fact is that teams are winning when they go heavy analytics.  So spare me the "Harvard rotisserie league" crap.  And it's hard to respect old coaches like Pinella when he brags about never putting on a shift.  By refusing to do that, he is sacrificing a greater chance of winning the game for the sake of...pride??  Tradition???

So I think it's fair to say some of these guys just haven't evolved with the game.  But OTOH, it's OK to not like how the game has evolved.

I understand there's nuance here, but if that was the Crux of the argument, I'd be very interested to hear the take on football.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2019, 10:58:59 AM »
And as for Gossage's comment that they don't hire people with experience, you will be SHOCKED to know that by and large the age of managers has hardly changed if you compare 2019 with the four decades preceeding.

In fact, MLB had younger managers, at a younger median age in 1979 and 1989 than they do now.

Oldest: Riggleman (66), Youngest: Cash (41), Median: Cash (57)

Oldest: Cox (68), Youngest: Hinch (35), Median: Black (52)

Oldest: McKeon (68), Youngest: Francona (40), Median: Lamont (52)

Oldest: Lasorda (61), Youngest: Leyva (35), Median: Torborg (47)

Oldest: Franks (65), Youngest: LaRussa (34), Median: Weaver (48)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2019, 11:18:18 AM »
I understand there's nuance here, but if that was the Crux of the argument, I'd be very interested to hear the take on football.
I basically do not watch football besides my favorite team because of this.  Red Zone channel on occasion, but I am bored out of my mind watching football without a real rooting interest.  I suppose I need to start gambling to enjoy it.

Unfortunately for baseball, the ideal strategy (many pitchers per game, lots of strikeouts, counteracted by going for home runs) is not near the most entertaining way to play baseball.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2019, 11:19:56 AM »
College football to me is way more interesting than the NFL.  Much more of a variety on how teams play on both sides of the ball.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2019, 12:02:48 PM »
I basically do not watch football besides my favorite team because of this.  Red Zone channel on occasion, but I am bored out of my mind watching football without a real rooting interest. I suppose I need to start gambling to enjoy it.

Unfortunately for baseball, the ideal strategy (many pitchers per game, lots of strikeouts, counteracted by going for home runs) is not near the most entertaining way to play baseball.

Coming from someone who is a recovering football gambling junkie, that doesn't improve it.  You still end up watching Red Zone or bouncing between multiple games.  Gambling greatly broadened my knowledge of teams, how they were playing, and random games I was "aware" of how they were going in progress, but I definitely didn't sit down and watch full games that much more than I do now.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2019, 12:48:52 PM »

He was terrible.  Talked way too much.  Made the same points over and over and over again.  Said way too many brainless, "jock like" things.  The problem could have been with Craig Coshun, who is a good pre and post game host, but not really that great of a play by play guy.  You have to be able to fill time with conversation as a baseball announcer, and Coshun just didn't do that.  I never thought I would say this but Matt Lepay really has gotten better as a substitute, but I'm sure he was taking a break before his UW duties start up in a couple of weeks.

Bill Schroeder is pretty good.  He's gotten better and his chemistry with BA is wonderful.

Lepay is much better this year.  Still miss BA when he's going NBA.

Would like to see MU alum Sophia Minneart get some PxP run.  Think she'd be great with Rock.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2019, 01:21:58 PM »

Would like to see MU alum Sophia Minneart get some PxP run.  Think she'd be great with Rock.

Based on what?  Shes an on-air host and a sideline reporter.  Thats like asking the drummer in the band to become the rhythm guitarist and lead singer without them ever playing either role.

I think she's very good at what she does, but PxP is an entirely different animal that takes years to master.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2019, 03:03:29 PM »

I'm gonna be bummed when Sophia Minneart gets a national gig.  She's a great on field reporter, and she's excellent with the Latino players because she can do her own translating.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »
F*ckin' just wants to see more of Sophia. Just goin' 'bout it in a round 'bout wey, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2019, 04:20:04 PM »
F*ckin' just wants to see more of Sophia. Just goin' 'bout it in a round 'bout wey, aina?

I wouldnt disagree with your statement.

Don't want her getting too big time though. Someone might write an article about her clothes.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2019, 04:23:28 PM »
I'm gonna be bummed when Sophia Minneart gets a national gig.  She's a great on field reporter, and she's excellent with the Latino players because she can do her own translating.

She has really improved. I thought she was awful when she started, but has become very good at her job. Experience matters.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »
Is she tight with Ma, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2019, 09:21:19 PM »
Time for this stupid Brewer season to be done.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2019, 09:45:21 PM »
Time for this stupid Brewer season to be done.

It looks like your wish will be granted very soon.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2019, 10:02:21 PM »
For as much genius as they had last year, Stearns and Counsell took a step back this season.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2019, 03:50:40 AM »
I blame Mark. His season has been extremely successful.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2019, 05:17:27 AM »
I blame Mark. His season has been extremely successful.

i believe mark had a pretty good season...i'm sure his bank account did pretty well this season, not to mention his "business expenses.  craig didn't fair too badly either as his batting average and ERA did not waver much...his players did however.  counsell is a solid manager and does very well with what he has
don't...don't don't don't don't

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2019, 07:56:53 AM »
The Brewers did score 4 last night. The Cardinals are 2nd in the league in games giving up 3 runs or less. (57) (Dodgers first) By contrast, The Cardinals are 13th in runs scored. Brewers are in a stretch of playing more teams with a winning record more often. The Cubs are beginning a stretch of 11 of 14 at home where they have played well this year. Still 3 division contending teams and many more in wild card contention.

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2019, 08:03:02 AM »
For as much genius as they had last year, Stearns and Counsell took a step back this season.

I think Counsell has done the best he could with a pitching staff and bullpen that has been a load of crap.  So for that I do blame Stearns, but I also wonder about this pitching coach.  Jeffress, Hader, Guerra, Peralta, Burns, etc. are significantly worse this year.  Knebel and Nelson are hurt.  And they couldn't keep guys like Miley who is having a really good year in Houston.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2019, 08:32:33 AM »

The difference is that even when there is action in baseball ( a sport I love), there is no action.  A guy throwing a strike or a ball is action, but nothing really happening other than with three players.

In football, even the down 40 seconds between plays, when a play is run even if it is a no gain play, plenty of stuff is going on with every player on the field.  Baseball you have 7 guys on a pitch often doing nothing other than in the ready position.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2019, 08:38:01 AM »
The difference is that even when there is action in baseball ( a sport I love), there is no action.  A guy throwing a strike or a ball is action, but nothing really happening other than with three players.

In football, even the down 40 seconds between plays, when a play is run even if it is a no gain play, plenty of stuff is going on with every player on the field.  Baseball you have 7 guys on a pitch often doing nothing other than in the ready position.

Right.  Not only that but there is usually a replay of the previous play and some sort of momentum building for the next.  There are times that happens in baseball but it is much less often.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2019, 07:58:53 PM »

I think Counsell has done the best he could with a pitching staff and bullpen that has been a load of crap.  So for that I do blame Stearns, but I also wonder about this pitching coach.  Jeffress, Hader, Guerra, Peralta, Burns, etc. are significantly worse this year.  Knebel and Nelson are hurt.  And they couldn't keep guys like Miley who is having a really good year in Houston.

I'm not a Brewers fan and I don't follow them closely. Are big-time fans of the Crew concerned about Hader? A year ago, there was talk that he deserved MVP votes and a lot of credit for the team being as good as it was. Now, he can't get anybody out.

Is it a blip, and he'll be great again next year? Could he be hurt? Is it overuse, not only from this season but from a full workload (including postseason) last year? Is it simply that hitters are smart and well-paid, too, and they have figured him out?

I'd be very concerned if a stud like that -- a guy who figured to be a big part of contending Brewers teams for years to come -- suddenly was getting knocked around by everybody.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2019, 08:17:52 PM »
I'm not a Brewers fan and I don't follow them closely. Are big-time fans of the Crew concerned about Hader? A year ago, there was talk that he deserved MVP votes and a lot of credit for the team being as good as it was. Now, he can't get anybody out.

Is it a blip, and he'll be great again next year? Could he be hurt? Is it overuse, not only from this season but from a full workload (including postseason) last year? Is it simply that hitters are smart and well-paid, too, and they have figured him out?

I'd be very concerned if a stud like that -- a guy who figured to be a big part of contending Brewers teams for years to come -- suddenly was getting knocked around by everybody.

The fact that we’re talking about a guy who has a 3.02 ERA and a WHIP of 0.865 as someone who “can’t get anyone out” says everything about how concerned I am as a Brewers fan about him.

He’s being asked to be strictly a closer and that’s not how he should be used. And he’s often being asked to get 6-9 out saves because the Brewers have nobody in the bullpen that can get the Brewers to him with the lead. So long as Knebel comes back as the true closer and the Brewers address their bullpen next year I’m not worried at all.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2019, 08:32:49 PM »
The fact that we’re talking about a guy who has a 3.02 ERA and a WHIP of 0.865 as someone who “can’t get anyone out” says everything about how concerned I am as a Brewers fan about him.

He’s being asked to be strictly a closer and that’s not how he should be used. And he’s often being asked to get 6-9 out saves because the Brewers have nobody in the bullpen that can get the Brewers to him with the lead. So long as Knebel comes back as the true closer and the Brewers address their bullpen next year I’m not worried at all.

I should have said he can't get anybody out lately.

Thanks for the answer. Clarifies it a lot.

As I said, I don't really follow your team, though I was rooting for them in the playoffs last year. Going to Brewers games was one of my favorite things to do during my MU daze -- Cooper, Molitor, Yount, Oglivie, Thomas, Lezcano, Simmons, Gantner, Money, etc ... they hit tons of HRs before anybody had ever heard of launch angle!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2019, 09:52:54 PM »
Agree with wades in that now Hader is THE guy, and pretty much the only guy.  Big difference from having Knebel and Jeffress and him being a three-headed monster that Counsel could mix and match.   And as we all know, relievers are prone to be up and down anyway, with those few exceptions like Rivera being really, really rare.

No doubt he needs to adjust to the league which is adjusting to him, but I don't think he is another Derrick Turnbow.  God, I hope not at least.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.