[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hong Kong  (Read 24747 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Hong Kong
« on: August 12, 2019, 08:09:06 PM »
If you have any friends or family there, I'd suggest telling them to leave as soon as possible based on the video leaked out today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/cpj9g3/disturbing_video_taken_in_shenzhen_just_across/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 08:15:18 PM »
This is the inevitable ending right? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 08:16:00 PM »
This does not look good.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 08:51:05 PM »
This is the inevitable ending right? 

Of Hong Kong or the world?

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 09:14:29 PM »
Hong Kong.  You really think anyone outside is going to do anything beyond the symbolic if this comes to a violent end?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 09:15:22 PM »
I thought FBM was talking about the inevitable ending of this thread.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 09:19:08 PM »
Thoughts and Prayers Hong Kong. Thoughts and Prayers

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 09:26:48 PM »
Hong Kong.  You really think anyone outside is going to do anything beyond the symbolic if this comes to a violent end?

Just checking.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 09:38:29 PM »
It used to be the job of Western leaders to stand up for freedom.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 10:00:22 PM »

Ours has a different job now.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 10:17:59 PM »
Politics and of course nothing will be done
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 10:22:55 PM »
Hong Kong was an incredibly unique place. Geographically, ideologically, and most importantly, culturally. It’s been a steady decline in the latter over the last 20 years and it appears China got fully bored with the gradual approach. I am supposed to travel there in late September for a large and important trade show. That’s very much in question now.  Beyond that, my industry is one of many that if HK is to become fully China controlled, will cease to exist there.

Funny enough, I write this from Singapore, which reminds me of a lot of what I love about HK. Though not as free wheeling and fun

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 10:30:36 PM »
Politics and of course nothing will be done

Oh shut up.  You cry more than anyone, yet you join in every. single. time.

You don't get to play it both ways.  Hit your report button, and shut up if it bothers you so damn much.

***Spoiler alert: It doesn't bother you one bit, it excites you***

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 11:55:28 PM »
Ours has a different job now.

Not to mention he’s from the East Coast. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 12:42:36 AM »
Not to mention he’s from the East Coast.

Took me a minute on this one :(

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 05:48:17 AM »
Hong Kong was an incredibly unique place. Geographically, ideologically, and most importantly, culturally. It’s been a steady decline in the latter over the last 20 years and it appears China got fully bored with the gradual approach. I am supposed to travel there in late September for a large and important trade show. That’s very much in question now.  Beyond that, my industry is one of many that if HK is to become fully China controlled, will cease to exist there.

Funny enough, I write this from Singapore, which reminds me of a lot of what I love about HK. Though not as free wheeling and fun

Yep... key word is "Was".
I'm actually surprised it took 22 years for this to happen... that the people didn't get pissed off like this and that China hasn't broken their agreement.

Culturally, the place is already ruined by the mainlanders.  I expect it to be nothing more than a "free trade zone" within a couple years and then full control not long after that. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 06:37:49 AM »
So my statement wasn’t meant to be political. There really is little western leaders can do. This isn’t Russia, with a relatively small and one dimensional economy. China is huge and intertwined with the west even more than it was during the Tienamin Square days. That’s why I think these protesters have been heading down the wrong path for awhile now.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 06:48:48 AM »

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't I guess.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 06:57:25 AM »
So my statement wasn’t meant to be political. There really is little western leaders can do. This isn’t Russia, with a relatively small and one dimensional economy. China is huge and intertwined with the west even more than it was during the Tienamin Square days. That’s why I think these protesters have been heading down the wrong path for awhile now.

Curious as to what the right path is? If anyone in the world today is playing 4 dimensional chess its China. It may not have wanted a trade war but if it's got one on its hands it might as well use it as cover to absorb HK and its billions in GDP potential. Only way to prevent it is to expose it but I'm sure even that wont work because society is slowly losing the will to help each other
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 07:23:27 AM »
Took me a minute on this one :(

Happen a lot these days?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 07:27:16 AM »
I agree that the surprise is that it took so long.   China is powerful enough that there really are no options.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 09:13:25 AM »
Curious as to what the right path is? If anyone in the world today is playing 4 dimensional chess its China. It may not have wanted a trade war but if it's got one on its hands it might as well use it as cover to absorb HK and its billions in GDP potential. Only way to prevent it is to expose it but I'm sure even that wont work because society is slowly losing the will to help each other

Anyone in Hong Kong who doesn't have an escape plan of some sort isn't really a good student of history.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 10:10:34 AM »
Any y'all havin' bagels and lox dis mornin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 10:16:22 AM »
Top page of reddit right now:

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:46 AM »

I was supposed to go this fall but it got postponed to 2020 because I had more pressing issues with customer in Singapore, Malaysia and India.
I was looking forward to going to HK but forgot about the protests.

feedback