[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hong Kong  (Read 24720 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Hong Kong
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 01:38:15 PM »

Anyone in Hong Kong who doesn't have an escape plan of some sort isn't really a good student of history.

Rather difficult to "escape" when HKG is shut down.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »
Any y'all havin' bagels and lox dis mornin', hey?

Just had dim sum for lunch.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 06:57:21 PM »
I had an office there for 10 years, been there twice in last six weeks and just booked tickets to go there. While this is a serious issue, HK is not going anywhere. There is a fair amount of pay to protest going on and Hong Kongese are pissed and embarrassed.
This may end ugly, but HK will survive.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »
I had an office there for 10 years, been there twice in last six weeks and just booked tickets to go there. While this is a serious issue, HK is not going anywhere. There is a fair amount of pay to protest going on and Hong Kongese are pissed and embarrassed.

Please elaborate.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2019, 07:20:24 PM »
\

Joe

Shanghai has certainly eclipsed HK as the financial and commercial nexus of China - a concerted effort by Beijing.

I agree with you, though, that HK will always be a unique part of China through redefinition and adaptation. The sheer will of the Cantonese will keep it relevant and vital.

But what the f#ck do we know. We have only lived there. I might have lived in HK twice and speak Hokkien but guys like Jockey are the Old China Hands of Scoop. Hell, Jockey hits the Golden Dragon at the local strip mall in Burlington at least once a month. A bowl of hot n' sour and he's ready to weigh in on China policy with a vengeance!

By the way, all of our China projects are on hold right now. But I think it's temporary and am confident this will result in a great outcome for the US. It's about time someone stood up to the Mandarins.

We need to talk this over grappas at Va Bene in Lan Kwai Fong. You buy.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2019, 07:22:50 PM »
Please elaborate.

Old stuff in HK.

When I last lived in HK Jimmy Lai was able to muster huge crowds in Central. Sadly, a lot of folks were more passionate about the paycheck than they were about Jimmy's agenda.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 07:25:15 PM »
\

Joe

Shanghai has certainly eclipsed HK as the financial and commercial nexus of China - a concerted effort by Beijing.

I agree with you, though, that HK will always be a unique part of China through redefinition and adaptation. The sheer will of the Cantonese will keep it relevant and vital.

But what the f#ck do we know. We have only lived there. I might have lived in HK twice and speak Hokkien but guys like Jockey are the Old China Hands of Scoop. Hell, Jockey hits the Golden Dragon at the local strip mall in Burlington at least once a month. A bowl of hot n' sour and he's ready to weigh in on China policy with a vengeance!

By the way, all of our China projects are on hold right now. But I think it's temporary and am confident this will result in a great outcome for the US. It's about time someone stood up to the Mandarins.

I have not said one word about China in this thread - not ONE SINGLE word.

You are a pathetic, little man (similar to chico) who has an obsession to make every thread about you and who can only find joy bragging about himself.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2019, 07:29:54 PM »
Crash

Hong Kong has had a great run and no competition until China became the China of today. HK will never be the same, had changed a great deal since I first went there in 1985, but it will remain a world class city.

VaBene on me is done deal.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:19:39 PM by Goose »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 08:38:40 AM »
\

Joe

I bet you dunked in High School too.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 09:53:22 AM »
Benny

Many in HK believe that special interest groups are paying young people to protest. The original protests were over a valid issue and those protesters were there for a cause. As the protests have grown, the reason for protests has been moving target and many HK citizens believe that young people are being paid to show up and protest. Have heard that some special interest groups are buying up to $1k usd per day to organizers of these different protests.

All that said, things definitely have become far more serious of an issue for Beijing. As many noted on here, HK is not the same place as it was pre '97 and that is life. HK was the only game in town for a long time and Beijing did an outstanding job opening other cities to compete with HK.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 10:10:05 AM »
Benny

Many in HK believe that special interest groups are paying young people to protest. The original protests were over a valid issue and those protesters were there for a cause. As the protests have grown, the reason for protests has been moving target and many HK citizens believe that young people are being paid to show up and protest. Have heard that some special interest groups are buying up to $1k usd per day to organizers of these different protests.

All that said, things definitely have become far more serious of an issue for Beijing. As many noted on here, HK is not the same place as it was pre '97 and that is life. HK was the only game in town for a long time and Beijing did an outstanding job opening other cities to compete with HK.

This is literally a China State Media talking point, but go on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/world/asia/hong-kong-protests-china.html
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 10:19:06 AM »

Hey man, didn't you know that people are willing to risk life and limb for the possibility of 1k USD?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 10:28:13 AM »
Guys

Not going to argue over the protests with you. Feel confident in my words, but sure you two know better.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 10:42:40 AM »
Guys

Not going to argue over the protests with you. Feel confident in my words, but sure you two know better.

That isn't the problem here.  Simply having been to HK does not make you an expert.  Nor does regularly doing business there.

I'm not claiming to be an expert either, but you and "Crash" certainly aren't either.

Spare me the reply.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 11:25:43 AM »
I traveled to SoCal last month.
If anyone wants the inside scoop on what it's like to be an Angeleno, hit me up.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2019, 11:45:12 AM »
While trying to avoid the snark, and while acknowledging these things are always complicated and multi dimensional, I don't understand how...

(A) "HK has long played a unique role in that part of the world, and will continue to in the face of Chinese pressure, largely due to the character and will of the people there."

and

(B) "These are just kids getting paid to protest and they are over-exaggerating the degree that China is steamrolling what makes HK unique."

... can both be true

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2019, 11:49:51 AM »
MUBurrow

Yes, both can be true.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2019, 12:17:33 PM »
That isn't the problem here.  Simply having been to HK does not make you an expert.  Nor does regularly doing business there.

I'm not claiming to be an expert either, but you and "Crash" certainly aren't either.

Spare me the reply.

i don't believe goose and/or crash was claiming any expertise, but i would take their opinions over yours in just about anything hard guy.  if someone is doing business over there, he better have the pulse of the nation or they are going to get their chit handed to them.  just because you may not agree with their assessment, doesn't make it wrong, nor worthy of a flippant, arsinine response.

it is responses like these that lead to decent topics being shut down.   
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 12:22:09 PM »

the nytimes is the fox news of the other side-i wouldn't let my bird chit on it
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2019, 12:23:29 PM »
Benny

F'ing millennials ruin everything

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2019, 12:30:08 PM »
the nytimes is the fox news of the other side-i wouldn't let my bird chit on it

nytimes? What's nytimes?

Oh, you mean the Failing NY Times!

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2019, 12:33:08 PM »
Crash

Hong Kong has had a great run and no competition until China became the China of today. HK will never be the same, had changed a great deal since I first went there in 1985, but it will remain a world class city.

VaBene on me is done deal.

Yea, but what the f#ck do we know about China, eh?

Heads down on Alaska and Sri Lanka these days but will likely p[ass through HK in Q4 to status our Hainan projects now on hold. Let's synch so we can have a Veal Summit in Lan Kwai Fong.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2019, 12:39:31 PM »
It's like we have our own resident 45.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2019, 12:42:17 PM »
While trying to avoid the snark, and while acknowledging these things are always complicated and multi dimensional, I don't understand how...

(A) "HK has long played a unique role in that part of the world, and will continue to in the face of Chinese pressure, largely due to the character and will of the people there."

and

(B) "These are just kids getting paid to protest and they are over-exaggerating the degree that China is steamrolling what makes HK unique."

... can both be true

The beauty of Hong Kong has been its ability to reinvent itself continuously since 1842.

For insight into the nature and character of more recent civil unrest in HK you need to understand Jimmy Lai and how he orchestrated a public posture towards Beijing while still a Crown Colony.

As with all things, discernment lies within the folds and seams. The press reports the obvious; China is far more nuanced than that.

But what the f#ck do I know? I only speak Chinese.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »
The beauty of Hong Kong has been its ability to reinvent itself continuously since 1842.

For insight into the nature and character of more recent civil unrest in HK you need to understand Jimmy Lai and how he orchestrated a public posture towards Beijing while still a Crown Colony.

As with all things, discernment lies within the folds and seams. The press reports the obvious; China is far more nuanced than that.

But what the f#ck do I know? I only speak Chinese.

LOL!  Are you ever not triggered?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback