[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hong Kong  (Read 24709 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Hong Kong
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2019, 01:08:18 PM »
That isn't the problem here.  Simply having been to HK does not make you an expert.  Nor does regularly doing business there.

I'm not claiming to be an expert either, but you and "Crash" certainly aren't either.

Spare me the reply.

Are you for real?

Oh, and in before the lock.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2019, 01:43:42 PM »
I used to watch Hong Kong Phooey. Does that qualify me as an expert?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2019, 02:41:24 PM »
MUBurrow

Yes, both can be true.

Appreciate your perspective as a person that has been involved with HK for many years.  I’m glad you offered these insights.  Travel safe, hope things smooth out before you get back.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2019, 02:42:27 PM »
I used to watch Hong Kong Phooey. Does that qualify me as an expert?

I speak Spanish.
If you're looking for some insight about what's really behind the Catalan independence movement, I'm your man.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2019, 02:52:44 PM »
Cheeks

You got it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 02:53:02 PM »
I speak Spanish.
If you're looking for some insight about what's really behind the Catalan independence movement, I'm your man.

You are officially, expertly qualified to tell us all how it really is in any and all Spanish speaking country's politics and economics.  I mean for Christ's sake, you speak Spanish but what the hell would you know?!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2019, 03:57:37 PM »
You are officially, expertly qualified to tell us all how it really is in any and all Spanish speaking country's politics and economics.  I mean for Christ's sake, you speak Spanish but what the hell would you know?!

An equally amusing part of all this, is that English is one of two official languages of Hong Kong. Meaning that we are all Hong Kong experts. For f%cks sake.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2019, 04:24:46 PM »
I have friends who have lived or spent a great deal of time working in places like Germany, Dubai, Japan, China, India, etc., etc.,. In my experience those people have been keenly aware of those country's politics, customs, etc. I've learned a lot from them.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2019, 04:32:32 PM »
Are you for real?

Guy spends all of his life in Oconomowoc and thinks because he eats fried tofu at the local Jade Garden he knows Asia.

How you say, so stoopee? 

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2019, 04:36:09 PM »
I have friends who have lived or spent a great deal of time working in places like Germany, Dubai, Japan, China, India, etc., etc.,. In my experience those people have been keenly aware of those country's politics, customs, etc. I've learned a lot from them.

As always, Mr Bernstein nails it.

By the way, how's the son doing in Tokyo? Goddam but I miss living there.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »

+ 1
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2019, 04:43:03 PM »
Guy spends all of his life in Oconomowoc and thinks because he eats fried tofu at the local Jade Garden he knows Asia.

How you say, so stoopee?

I hear that mocking people makes you even more of a man than being an egomaniacal braggart does.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2019, 04:44:23 PM »
Lenny
Spot on. As you have a good understanding of my family and it’s history in Asia, I could not agree with you more. The education I have gained over thirty plus years in the region is something I am very proud of.
While I was a very poor student in school, I embraced the knowledge of both the locals in places that I have worked as well as the ex pats.
My family story means a lot to me because of the risks that we took to conduct business in Asia. I/we were not a big company or worked for one, but we rolled the dice very early on the importance that China would mean in global economy.
I can assure you that I am not an expert on China, but by hook or crook I have managed to run a company in HK and China for over 25 years. Nothing lasts forever and chasing new frontiers, but hopefully with a bit more knowledge than I had when we entered China.
My Dad had a lot of great gifts, but his ability to listen and learn remained a core belief in his life until he passed away at 90.
I really value posters like yourself that offer knowledge based off of your experiences in life. Wish there more Lenny’s in the world.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2019, 04:47:37 PM »

I agree. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2019, 05:15:35 PM »
I don't doubt those friends are more keenly aware than a person who has not traveled to those places.
I also suspect they don't portray themselves as experts on the machinations of those nations, much less claim to have special insight into their inner workings because they speak the local language.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2019, 05:18:44 PM »

How you say, so stoopee?

Keefer, keeping it classy as always.

Like I said, it's like we have our own resident 45 right here on Scoop.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 05:21:53 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2019, 05:57:36 PM »
Goose .. I'm super no expert but I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

I'd never be surprised that protesters are paid .. but from the videos it appears that there are hundreds of thousands of them .. someone said on the radio, 2 million.  I can't fathom how any but a fraction are being paid?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2019, 06:26:18 PM »
Topper

No Arby’s reference?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2019, 06:34:50 PM »
Topper

No Arby’s reference?

There aren’t any Arby’s in Hong Kong. Which is probably part of the problem.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2019, 06:43:04 PM »
Lenny Man is da tits, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2019, 07:09:13 PM »
As always, Mr Bernstein nails it.

By the way, how's the son doing in Tokyo? Goddam but I miss living there.

He's doing great, Crash - thanks for asking. He and his wife had a baby girl June 24th (Kaede, rhymes with Friday) and my wife and I were in Tokyo last month to meet her.

We now have 5 granddaughters - if you would have told me 40 yers ago that 70 and being a Grandpa was the best part of life I would have called you crazy - but there it is!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2019, 07:27:06 PM »
i don't believe goose and/or crash was claiming any expertise, but i would take their opinions over yours in just about anything hard guy.  if someone is doing business over there, he better have the pulse of the nation or they are going to get their chit handed to them.  just because you may not agree with their assessment, doesn't make it wrong, nor worthy of a flippant, arsinine response.

it is responses like these that lead to decent topics being shut down.   

As opposed to your nonsensical half-formed sentences and weak attempts at name calling.  I'm not surprised you latch on to the old guys around here, being an old fart, yourself.

Clearly, you're not rocket surgeon.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2019, 07:30:28 PM »
I don't doubt those friends are more keenly aware than a person who has not traveled to those places.
I also suspect they don't portray themselves as experts on the machinations of those nations, much less claim to have special insight into their inner workings because they speak the local language.

This is so on the nose that even Crash's Michigan pinky ring couldn't be closer to a booger

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2019, 07:31:58 PM »
As opposed to your nonsensical half-formed sentences and weak attempts at name calling.  I'm not surprised you latch on to the old guys around here, being an old fart, yourself.

Clearly, you're not rocket surgeon.

I’m trying to take a calmer, more reasoned approach at discussions here.  May I ask the same of you and others?  Merely an ask.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2019, 07:32:28 PM »
Are you for real?

I'm as real as it gets.  I don't talk about myself here, just call out braggadocios dorks when I see them.  Its awfully hard for them to handle.