Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: New NCAA policy regarding agents & "testing the waters"  (Read 35220 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: New NCAA policy regarding agents & "testing the waters"
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2019, 09:53:29 PM »
Thanks.

After creating fake classes specifically to funnel its athletes into, UNC did a nice job covering its arse by also letting non-athletes take the fake classes.

And yes, I see now it was a negotiated punishment. Apparently Mississippi State's administrators are more ethical than UNC? Amazing.

Fake. False. Journalistic malpractice
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2019, 10:11:51 PM »
Fake. False. Journalistic malpractice

You are a liar, and I will not argue with a troll who exists only to argue. Ignoring.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2019, 10:23:41 PM »
Thanks.

After creating fake classes specifically to funnel its athletes into, UNC did a nice job covering its arse by also letting non-athletes take the fake classes.

And yes, I see now it was a negotiated punishment. Apparently Mississippi State's administrators are more ethical than UNC? Amazing.

I would imagine, if the NCAA could prove UNC created these classes for athletes, and then permitted all students as a way to purely skate around NCAA rules, that UNC athletics would be punished. But that would require a lot of specific evidence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »
I would imagine, if the NCAA could prove UNC created these classes for athletes, and then permitted all students as a way to purely skate around NCAA rules, that UNC athletics would be punished. But that would require a lot of specific evidence

As I said, UNC cheated very well here. Their athletic program wasn't the first to get away with wide-spread academic fraud, and it won't be the last. There are probably similar sham classes for athletes being "taught" right now in U.S. institutions; if they are smart, they will follow the UNC blueprint.

NCAA leaders just recently had a chance to accept the advice of the Rice Commission and take this kind of academic fraud under its purview. They passed. Much easier to turn a blind eye by claiming it's out of their jurisdiction -- which makes it easier for them to concentrate on keeping athlete-students from making a nickel on their likenesses.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2019, 02:11:20 PM »
As I said, UNC cheated very well here. Their athletic program wasn't the first to get away with wide-spread academic fraud, and it won't be the last. There are probably similar sham classes for athletes being "taught" right now in U.S. institutions; if they are smart, they will follow the UNC blueprint.

NCAA leaders just recently had a chance to accept the advice of the Rice Commission and take this kind of academic fraud under its purview. They passed. Much easier to turn a blind eye by claiming it's out of their jurisdiction -- which makes it easier for them to concentrate on keeping athlete-students from making a nickel on their likenesses.

Then blame the member institutions, of which you are an alum. 

This will get you started...you're retired, you have time on your hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Protest-Postcards-Write-Stamp-Heard/dp/1250169755/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=protest+kit&qid=1566673861&s=gateway&sr=8-3
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2019, 02:13:57 PM »
Then blame the member institutions, of which you are an alum. 

This will get you started...you're retired, you have time on your hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Protest-Postcards-Write-Stamp-Heard/dp/1250169755/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=protest+kit&qid=1566673861&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Ignoring the troll

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »
You are a liar, and I will not argue with a troll who exists only to argue. Ignoring.

How am I lying?  Read the report the NCAA put out along with several investigative reports from others.  You said classes were created SPECIFICALLY for student athletes.  This is FALSE.  The classes were originally created where ZERO athletes were even in them.  Over time, yes they became destinations for student athletes and OTHER students to enroll in, but they were not created specifically for this purpose. That is false, fake, journalistic malpractice.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »
How am I lying?  Read the report the NCAA put out along with several investigative reports from others.  You said classes were created SPECIFICALLY for student athletes.  This is FALSE.  The classes were originally created where ZERO athletes were even in them.  Over time, yes they became destinations for student athletes and OTHER students to enroll in, but they were not created specifically for this purpose. That is false, fake, journalistic malpractice.

Ignoring the lying troll.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2019, 07:56:18 AM »
https://thebiglead.com/2019/09/14/nba-agents-ncaa-certification-letter/

NBA agents are refusing to participate in NCAA certification since it apparently gives the NCAA investigory power over the agents. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2019, 10:08:03 AM »
https://thebiglead.com/2019/09/14/nba-agents-ncaa-certification-letter/

NBA agents are refusing to participate in NCAA certification since it apparently gives the NCAA investigory power over the agents.

Wouldn’t want that.....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2019, 10:36:33 AM »

Wouldn’t want that.....

Check back in a week...the NCAA promised us BIG news by then.  If they prove they can handle that, then we can give them a promotion to NBA agents. Until then, maybe they can hire Duke's law firm?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2019, 11:12:20 AM »
So yet again, the NCAA comes off caring more about its regulatory environment than it does the welfare of student athletes. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2019, 01:10:52 PM »
So yet again, the NCAA comes off caring more about its regulatory environment than it does the welfare of student athletes.

God forbid someone get into the business of the moral high ground that agents currently reside in.  And I say that as someone that deals with them all the time...some of them are excellent, but let’s not kid ourselves that profession has had its share of heavily squirmy reps. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 01:14:31 PM by Cheeks »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2019, 01:12:49 PM »
God forbid someone get into the business of the moral high ground that agents currently reside in.  And I say that as someone that deals with them all the time...some of them are excellent, but let’s not kid ourselves that profession has had its share or heavily squirmy reps. 

Yes so let’s have the purity that is the NCAA determine which ones can consult with student athletes. 🙄

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2019, 01:15:02 PM »
Yes so let’s have the purity that is the NCAA determine which ones can consult with student athletes. 🙄

So the better answer is to just let the agents do whatever they want.....got it...

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2019, 01:27:20 PM »
So the better answer is to just let the agents do whatever they want.....got it...

Never said that. Very dishonest of you per usual.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2019, 04:32:37 PM »
Never said that. Very dishonest of you per usual.
I shouldn't ask about this because it impacts a stupidly small number players and a few sports agents, but here goes..

Serious question. You don't want the NCAA regulating the agents of college players, you don't think the the agents should be regulate themselves, so who sets the rules? Federal government?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2019, 04:35:35 PM »
I shouldn't ask about this because it impacts a stupidly small number players and a few sports agents, but here goes..

Serious question. You don't want the NCAA regulating the agents of college players, you don't think the the agents should be regulate themselves, so who sets the rules? Federal government?

The NBPA already has a process to certify agents. How about inviting them to the table to figure out the best way of making sure everyone is aware of the NCAA’s rules?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2019, 05:45:08 PM »
The NBPA already has a process to certify agents. How about inviting them to the table to figure out the best way of making sure everyone is aware of the NCAA’s rules?

Seems reasonable.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2019, 06:44:03 PM »
Does make sense but do you think the NBPA wants any part of this? What do they have to gain?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2019, 07:59:03 PM »

The NCAA process is essentially identical to the NBPA process. The only difference is they have to agree to NCAA's investigative authority.

Not including that provision has to be an absolute no go.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2019, 08:04:12 PM »
The NCAA process is essentially identical to the NBPA process. The only difference is they have to agree to NCAA's investigative authority.

Not including that provision has to be an absolute no go.

Why?  And why would an agent agree to this? 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2019, 08:40:37 PM »

to get clients?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2019, 08:45:24 PM »

If the agent wants to have a shot at signing clients coming out of college they will agree to it.

If they don't, they can shove it. The NCAA has the right to make rules and enforce them. If people don't want to take part, they don't have to. No one owes them crap.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2019, 08:04:39 AM »
If the agent wants to have a shot at signing clients coming out of college they will agree to it.

If they don't, they can shove it. The NCAA has the right to make rules and enforce them. If people don't want to take part, they don't have to. No one owes them crap.

No one said they don't have a right to create the rule and enforce the rule.  But I don't understand, and you didn't answer my question, why not including the NCAA's investigative authority is a "no go?"

to get clients?

Well they don't seem that concerned about that since none of the NBPA's certified agents will apparently be participating.

And I hate to break it to you, but contact between agents and potential clients already exists.  They're getting the clients regardless.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:10:47 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »