collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 316936 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2019, 09:48:00 AM »
+Infinity

Trading up for Mitch when he didn’t need to? Bad.

Seeing Watson and Mahomes both going a few picks later? Fireable.

Trading up was stupid, but everyone had those players rated differently. Its easy to say in hindsight that Mahomes and Watson are the better QBs.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2019, 09:52:51 AM »
Trading up was stupid, but everyone had those players rated differently. Its easy to say in hindsight that Mahomes and Watson are the better QBs.

While Mahomes in particular and Watson to an extent weren't considered to be the immediate impact players they have been, I don't think anybody but the Bears thought Trubisky was the sure fire, need to get QB in this draft.  Some thought that he could wind up being the best QB in the draft yes, but need to move up 1 spot because everyone else wants to move up to get him?  No.  He started like 10 college games for goodness sake.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2019, 09:56:51 AM »
While Mahomes in particular and Watson to an extent weren't considered to be the immediate impact players they have been, I don't think anybody but the Bears thought Trubisky was the sure fire, need to get QB in this draft.  Some thought that he could wind up being the best QB in the draft yes, but need to move up 1 spot because everyone else wants to move up to get him?  No.  He started like 10 college games for goodness sake.

agree. I don't think you can fire a gm for the other two doing well. Situation, coaching  and offensive systems also play into it. Goff is a perfect example of that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2019, 10:03:26 AM »
Impressed with the Packers' D yesterday.

Still, the Bears were so inept offensively -- Trubisky terrible, game plan poor, penalties galore, dropped passes, etc -- that it's not easy to judge.

Over the next couple months, the Packers will face the likes of Cousins, Wentz, Prescott, Stafford, Mahomes, Rivers and Newton (not to mention several fine RBs, led by Elliott), so we'll get a much better idea about the GB D.

Any time the Packers beat the Bears, though, it's extra special for them. It was a division win on the road, and 5 of the next 6 are at home. Very nice win.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2019, 10:09:26 AM »
+Infinity

Trading up for Mitch when he didn’t need to? Bad.

Seeing Watson and Mahomes both going a few picks later? Fireable.

I usually agree with you on Bears matters, but I diverge here.  Pace has done such a masterful job with the team and roster otherwise.  The Trubisky thing is a giant black eye so far, and trading up to do it is even worse.

However, his 2017 draft also produced Eddie Jackson and Tarik Cohen.  He got Roquan Smith with a high pick in 2018, and while its early, James Daniels and Bilal Nichols all look to be starters with a lot of upside, and Anthony Miller still is potentially very exciting.  And David Montgomery looks like the real deal.  He's been good in the last few drafts other than one blunder.  That plus the Mack trade, free agency moves.  Fireable is far too severe

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »
I usually agree with you on Bears matters, but I diverge here.  Pace has done such a masterful job with the team and roster otherwise.  The Trubisky thing is a giant black eye so far, and trading up to do it is even worse.

However, his 2017 draft also produced Eddie Jackson and Tarik Cohen.  He got Roquan Smith with a high pick in 2018, and while its early, James Daniels and Bilal Nichols all look to be starters with a lot of upside, and Anthony Miller still is potentially very exciting.  And David Montgomery looks like the real deal.  He's been good in the last few drafts other than one blunder.  That plus the Mack trade, free agency moves.  Fireable is far too severe

My counter is none of the above matters if you get the QB wrong.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2019, 11:15:26 AM »
My counter is none of the above matters if you get the QB wrong.

Right.  You don't fire Pace the second he trades up to take Trubisky.  But that pick alone can lead to what could have been a great team achieving nothing of substance, which can lead to a GM being fired.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2019, 11:44:27 AM »
I think a vast majority of people if told before yesterday’s game that Rodgers and the Pack were held to ten points, probably 95% of people would have said that’s a Bears win.

I’m Nagy’s biggest critic, and have been, and last night was embarrassing for him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2019, 11:56:22 AM »
I think a vast majority of people if told before yesterday’s game that Rodgers and the Pack were held to ten points, probably 95% of people would have said that’s a Bears win.

I’m Nagy’s biggest critic, and have been, and last night was embarrassing for him.

Seems someone spent too much of the offseason reading press clippings about his own offensive ingenuity.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2019, 12:45:23 PM »

Meanwhile I've been a big Nagy fan and I was f-ing disgusted with him last night.  Where to begin...

-David Montgomery.  He's been really exciting in preseason, trade up to get him, hes gonna be the guy.  Yet you have Mike Davis getting way more looks and touches?  Mike Davis who was literally brought in to be the 3rd RB?  Montgomery looked solid in the first half, broke some tackles, was productive...gets 1 touch in the second half.  Absurd.

-Tarik Cohen...is he just a slot reciever now?  Patterson had more rushing attempts than a guy who averaged 6 carries for 25 yds a game last year to open up his receiving abilities as well.

-Running game in general.  Trubisky was terrible and inaccurate, its a 4 pt game...and they dont try to establish the run at all.  Baffling

-Kicking...Piniero calmly drills the first mid range FG attempt he gets so Nagy's response is to...show no further faith in him.  Glad to see this kicking boogeyman will be here all year.

Playcalling overall was awful.  Mitch was awful.  Just terrible.  Totally agree that Nagy was too confident in himself and thus got super cute and "clever" and paid for it.  He showed the ability to rebound game to game last year, but an inauspicious start for sure.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2019, 01:50:27 PM »
[...]
-Kicking...Piniero calmly drills the first mid range FG attempt he gets so Nagy's response is to...show no further faith in him.  Glad to see this kicking boogeyman will be here all year.
[...]

The kicking thing is Nagy's white whale. It hasn't broken him (yet) but it's put serious cracks in his foundation.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2019, 02:05:51 PM »
Meanwhile I've been a big Nagy fan and I was f-ing disgusted with him last night.  Where to begin...

-David Montgomery.  He's been really exciting in preseason, trade up to get him, hes gonna be the guy.  Yet you have Mike Davis getting way more looks and touches?  Mike Davis who was literally brought in to be the 3rd RB?  Montgomery looked solid in the first half, broke some tackles, was productive...gets 1 touch in the second half.  Absurd.

-Tarik Cohen...is he just a slot reciever now?  Patterson had more rushing attempts than a guy who averaged 6 carries for 25 yds a game last year to open up his receiving abilities as well.

-Running game in general.  Trubisky was terrible and inaccurate, its a 4 pt game...and they dont try to establish the run at all.  Baffling

Playcalling overall was awful.  Mitch was awful.  Just terrible.  Totally agree that Nagy was too confident in himself and thus got super cute and "clever" and paid for it.  He showed the ability to rebound game to game last year, but an inauspicious start for sure.

Just got off the phone with my Bears-fan son, and he raised many of the same points, especially about Montgomery and the running game.

My main contribution (even though I'm neither a Bears fan nor Bears hater) was: "Look, if you trust the kicker enough to have him on the team, you have to let him try that field goal to pull you within 1 point rather than go for it on 4th-and-10. If you don't trust him enough, cut him and get another effen kicker. The guy put one right through the uprights earlier; how about building up his confidence instead of practically screaming, 'We don't effen trust you!'"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2019, 02:45:35 PM »
Double edged sword on the kicking. If he misses the 50+ harder, media and fans will rip him (the kicker) apart.

I knew Nagy was piss poor last night when he called for a Patterson single back dive on 3rd and 1.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2019, 03:09:40 PM »
I just so enjoy reading you guys in Bear nation right now.  Dish, I literally spit my coffee this morning when you showed up immediately in my FB feed with 'Fire Nagy!' 

Oh, and to answer the question of how long the Bears can milk the 1985 story, I'll quote the great Bill Swerski.... 'Moving on.'   ;D

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2019, 03:29:41 PM »
Double edged sword on the kicking. If he misses the 50+ harder, media and fans will rip him (the kicker) apart.

But the second sentence should never be part of the thought process of a coach.  If he has the leg and the situation calls for it, then you try the FG most of the time.  If you think "well this is kind of long and I don't want the crowd to get on him," well shame on you for making this as big of an issue as you made it in the off season.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2019, 03:48:51 PM »
I was completely impressed with the Packer’s defense.

Last year they had the worst safeties in the league. Last night they were outstanding.

Last year the OLBs were brutally bad. Last night they were outstanding.

Last night, Kenny Clark played at an all-pro level.

That being said, Kevin King and Jaire Alexander are the keys to their success. Both have Pro Bowl ability. If they stay healthy, GB wins the North and are a legit SB contender.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 04:59:21 PM by Jockey »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2019, 03:59:26 PM »

It's one thing if the choice was between that FG and 4th-and-2. But it was 4th-and-10, and the offense had shown zero signs that it was capable of converting that. Plus, the K had nailed a FG earlier in the game that easily would have been good from 55.

If you're gonna worry so much about what second-guessing fans think that it changes the way you coach ... sorry, you shouldn't be a coach.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2019, 04:03:30 PM »
I was just driving back home from ORD and listening to Parkins & Mac, Parkins made a reference I’ve thought of before, how Nagy and Joe Maddon have similarities.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2019, 07:08:54 PM »
Ratings were solid:

https://deadline.com/2019/09/green-bay-packers-nfl-kickoff-game-ratings-rise-nbc-meek-mills-1202713643/

Viewers fell asleep and left the Nielsen box on instead of changing channels.

I am a diehard Bears fans as are others...and I know the majority here are the same on the Packers side. But dear lord, this was up there with the MU v. tOSU game on the excitement meter.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 07:45:00 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2019, 09:46:07 PM »
lol
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2019, 07:57:18 AM »
I was just driving back home from ORD and listening to Parkins & Mac, Parkins made a reference I’ve thought of before, how Nagy and Joe Maddon have similarities.

Still like OB and Hamp with Koz much better. They are my go-to postgame Bears commentators. Only downside is the loss of Doug Buffone a couple of years ago. Those two together were g-r-e-a-t!

Am a Bears season ticket holder (and die-hard Packers fan) and went to the game. Actually was exciting to watch because you knew sooner or later Aaron Rodgers would again be Aaron Rodgers. One of the things I saw was that when the offense was running plays left over from the McCarthy era (the "five-wide," for example), they did seem in sync. The Packers will be fine.

The Bears have some issues. Most are correctable. I want Trubisky to succeed because having two strong teams in the GB/Chi rivalry would be fun. Trubisky also is a good guy and a good Catholic boy LOL! But he has a way to go yet!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 10:53:30 PM by dgies9156 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2019, 11:11:24 AM »
Raiders release Antonio Brown.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2019, 11:17:30 AM »
Raiders release Antonio Brown.

He'll probably end up with the Patriots.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2019, 11:22:37 AM »
He'll probably end up with the Patriots.

The Jimmy Butler of the NFL???

Which team will he blow up next? Hopefully, it IS the Pats.