Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Athletic: Joey Hauser Talks About Leaving Marquette  (Read 38702 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Athletic: Joey Hauser Talks About Leaving Marquette
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2019, 04:08:28 PM »
I think there is a better chance of Baby Huey being at MSU in two years than St. Izzo.

Hausers should be moved to the SuperBar.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2019, 04:17:54 PM »
I think BC's got a point. We'll see if Joey gets his "feelings hurt." Gosh, somebody might exhort him to paly harder, play defense.

Don't know what I would have done at that age (NAIVE) but I'm worried about his track record.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2019, 04:23:27 PM »
I think it would have been better for Marquette had Joey just chosen MSU and never came to Marquette.  We might still have Sam.

Agree. Although the anti-Wojo faction woulda gone ape-shyte if the high-4-star brother hadn't chosen MU ... I believe based on all the info we have that Sam probably would have stayed and we'd have a kick-arse team next season.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »
This matches a lot of what I believed was the most believable storyline coming out of Hausergate, Joey always wanted to go to MSU, picked MU because of his brother,  and that regret eventually caused tension that festered.

Plus tax.

He didn't follow his heart, he followed his brother.

I wonder how many times, in their conversations, Joey told Sam some version of, "I KNEW I shouldn't have come here," how many times in those conversations he crapt on Markus. We'll never know, of course, but given the stuff in this interview, added to the stuff we already knew, it's certainly plausible.

Most kids DO grow up, and Joey just might find that his experience at Marquette helped prepare him for the kind of scrutiny he'll get from Michigan State's demanding coach and fan base.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:28:41 PM by MU82 »

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »
I wonder if Joey’s strong pull to MSU was part of the reason MU got him on campus a semester early.  Burning his redshirt may have been a preemptive way of making Joey think twice about transferring if he had a change of heart.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2019, 05:39:31 PM »
I wonder if Joey’s strong pull to MSU was part of the reason MU got him on campus a semester early.  Burning his redshirt may have been a preemptive way of making Joey think twice about transferring if he had a change of heart.

I'm guessing it had more to do with him rehabbing his ankle on their watch.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2019, 08:56:34 PM »
Just a reminder of what was said when he committed

Central Wisconsin Sports, who interviewed Hauser himself:

“To be honest, I tried not to let my brother being there be a huge factor,” Hauser said. “Obviously it did a little bit, but just playing for coach Wojo, I think he’s going to get the best out of me and help me become what I want in life and playing in Marquette, ever since they started recruiting me, that’s just something I really wanted to do. I’ve known coach Wojo now since eighth grade. Seeing what he’s done with the program, turning it around… that’s something I want to be a part of. My brother bought into it, now I’m buying into it.”

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2019, 08:58:30 PM »

“To be honest, I tried not to let my brother being there be a huge factor,” Hauser said. “Obviously it did a little bit, but just playing for coach Wojo, I think he’s going to get the best out of me and help me become what I want in life and playing in Marquette, ever since they started recruiting me, that’s just something I really wanted to do. I’ve known coach Wojo now since eighth grade. Seeing what he’s done with the program, turning it around… that’s something I want to be a part of. My brother bought into it, now I’m buying into it.”

I have an episode of Inside Big East Basketball on my DVR from last winter where he is saying almost the exact same thing.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2019, 09:25:37 PM »
Art Linkletter was right!

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2019, 09:56:00 PM »

Great Comment.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2019, 10:05:32 PM »

"Kids (and Scoopers) say the darnedest things" - my favorite segment of the show!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:51:18 AM by Lennys Tap »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2019, 11:49:48 PM »

I’d bet 95% of Scoopers are clueless as to your reference.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2019, 11:54:47 PM »
I’d bet 95% of Scoopers are clueless as to your reference.

They can always use the googles.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2019, 07:35:10 AM »

Hoo, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2019, 07:42:18 AM »
They can always use the googles.

At least Lenny and Loose are older than dirt, so they got the reference.  ;)

And the rest can contact Mr Google.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »
I am upset and disappointed that Sam Hauser left the Marquette basketball program.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »

With all the attention focused on high level college athletes, do they get PR tips/training from the schools they play for? I know a lot of these guys are used to interviews from their high school days, but some of the commentary around why they committed or why they're leaving sounds like it could be coming from a politician rather than a teenager. Do schools try to manage the messaging here, or are the kids just learning to be mature at a young age?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2019, 09:32:12 AM »
At least Lenny and Loose are older than dirt, so they got the reference.  ;)

And the rest can contact Mr Google.

Would have been funnier if Lenny didn't feel the need to explain the joke.   ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2019, 09:53:07 AM »
Would have been funnier if Lenny didn't feel the need to explain the joke.   ;)

That's OK ... none of us codgers could hear him anyway.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
With all the attention focused on high level college athletes, do they get PR tips/training from the schools they play for? I know a lot of these guys are used to interviews from their high school days, but some of the commentary around why they committed or why they're leaving sounds like it could be coming from a politician rather than a teenager. Do schools try to manage the messaging here, or are the kids just learning to be mature at a young age?

My personal experience has been that players do get media training but unless there is a crisis or scandal, the words are their own.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2019, 10:39:26 AM »
You can't teach speed.
Doesn’t that depend on neck size?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2019, 11:09:07 AM »
You can't teach speed.

I'd agree with this. But playing defense is less about pure speed and more about lateral movement and smart positioning -- both of which you can teach.

Improving lateral movement involves strength training (for greater explosiveness and endurance in a defensive stance), exercises to increase flexibility and balance and tons and tons of agility drills. Better conditioning plays a role, as well -- this is an area Joey definitely needs to improve. Smart positioning comes with coaching and experience.

I have no idea whether Joey will be able to eventually guard perimeter players. But it is possible to become a better defensive player through dedication and hard work.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »
I'd agree with this. But playing defense is less about pure speed and more about lateral movement and smart positioning -- both of which you can teach.

Improving lateral movement involves strength training (for greater explosiveness and endurance in a defensive stance), exercises to increase flexibility and balance and tons and tons of agility drills. Better conditioning plays a role, as well -- this is an area Joey definitely needs to improve. Smart positioning comes with coaching and experience.

I have no idea whether Joey will be able to eventually guard perimeter players. But it is possible to become a better defensive player through dedication and hard work.

I think Sam is more athletic than Joey but not tons more athletic. Yet I'd call Sam a "plus" defender because he knows how to position his body, he uses his intelligence to beat offensive players to their spot, he has a good idea when to challenge a shot and when to avoid a dumb foul by not challenging a shot, etc. Sam was a pretty good team defender, too. At this point in his career, I'd rate Joey as poor on all of that. Maybe he can improve with a year of coaching from Izzo's staff.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2019, 11:18:07 AM »

Of course it's possible to become better, but at some point every player has his/her physical limitations that cannot be overcome by training or technique.
All the practice and coaching in the world isn't going to allow Joey Hauser to guard an athletic two guard or wing. The physical tools aren't there. That's not a knock on Joey as a player, just a recognition of his capabilities.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:21:13 AM by Pakuni »

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »

My guess is that their parents coached them on how to handle the messaging surrounding the departure....

feedback