Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Athletic: Joey Hauser Talks About Leaving Marquette  (Read 39085 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Athletic: Joey Hauser Talks About Leaving Marquette
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 10:39:47 AM »
Great. Can't read it. Paywall.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 10:41:00 AM »
Here are a few highlights. 

Hauser says now that this is what he wanted all along. Michigan State. Tom Izzo. He would’ve made the trip to East Lansing two years ago, he says, if things were simpler, if things were different.

Joey naturally assumed he’d follow his brother again. More and more, though, he began seeing his transfer as a redemptive opportunity. His original choice to go to Marquette was never made with blind certainty. Deep down, Hauser was always drawn to Michigan State. The two have history because, as most things involving Izzo tend to, there’s a coincidental connection weaving back decades.

David Hauser, Sam and Joey’s father, played college basketball at the University of Minnesota Duluth for a man named Dale Race. In the 1980s, Race held camps that needed a roster of instructors. Izzo, then a young assistant at Michigan State, ended up as one of those instructors.

Joey, meanwhile, couldn’t come around to the idea of parting from his older brother.  “I don’t want to say I made the wrong choice going to Marquette, but I think my brother played a large part in me going there. For good reason,” he says over breakfast.

Marquette told him it would be smart to graduate early, enroll in college for the spring semester and use the university’s strength and conditioning program. It also sounded logical, except, deep down, Hauser didn’t want to leave high school early. He did so anyway.  In hindsight, his ankle was probably better off, but he regrets the decision to this day. “If I had to do it over again, even if I had the injury, I probably would have chosen to stay in high school, just because you miss a lot of things,” Hauser says.

Ultimately, though, both brothers say that if they were truly dead set on playing together, they would’ve chosen Wisconsin.  But they were not, in fact, dead set on playing together.

The decision dragged into the night. Joey Hauser called Izzo one more time. He had visited campus in May and talked to MSU coaches constantly, but he wanted some final reassurances. He asked Izzo how Michigan State will use him, what he’ll look like in the system.  Izzo ended the conversation with a question of his own. “If Sam wasn’t going to Virginia, and it was between Virginia and Michigan State, where would you go?” Izzo said.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 10:48:46 AM by TallTitan34 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »
 blames MU for getting him college ready after the injury? Not sure how he'd have looked without coming early and using Stephens point conditioning but I'd wager not good enough that MSU would want him.
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 10:48:12 AM »
I can wrap my head around Joey transferring. I still can't believe Sam did.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 10:49:28 AM »
I can wrap my head around Joey transferring. I still can't believe Sam did.

I think it would have been better for Marquette had Joey just chosen MSU and never came to Marquette.  We might still have Sam.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 10:53:06 AM »
Great. Can't read it. Paywall.

Sucks when commercial enterprises ask you to pay for their product.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 10:55:01 AM »
Sucks when commercial enterprises ask you to pay for their product.

I'm fine with it. As I say to people who say they can't watch MU on CBSSN.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 10:55:45 AM »
I think it would have been better for Marquette had Joey just chosen MSU and never came to Marquette.  We might still have Sam.

This is a really astute observation. Sam and Markus were real close and I bet the tension that existed between Joey and Markus put Sam in some bad spots - especially after reading this and seeming like Joey made the wrong choice from the beginning.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 10:59:50 AM »
blames MU for getting him college ready after the injury? Not sure how he'd have looked without coming early and using Stephens point conditioning but I'd wager not good enough that MSU would want him.

MSU offered him well before his injury.
And I don't think he blamed MU for anything here. He just said that looking back, he wished he'd have finished high school like a normal kid. Which is completely understandable, and something a lot of people here suggested would happen when Joey came to MU early.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 11:02:05 AM »
MSU offered him well before his injury.
And I don't think he blamed MU for anything here. He just said that looking back, he wished he'd have finished high school like a normal kid. Which is completely understandable, and something a lot of people here suggested would happen when Joey came to MU early.

Plus he would have his redshirt still to burn this year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »

Plus he would have his redshirt still to burn this year.

I'm 99% sure he will get that back. The ncaa is dumb, but are they really dumb enough to deny a kid another year for graduating a semester early?

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 11:07:30 AM »
I'm 99% sure he will get that back. The ncaa is dumb, but are they really dumb enough to deny a kid another year for graduating a semester early?

I really doubt he get's it back, but we will see.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 11:13:39 AM »
I pointed out at the time that I though Joey made a mistake by coming to MU early and missing the last part of high school. Glad he realizes it now.  There is a time for everything in life.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:47:23 AM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 11:16:01 AM »
This matches a lot of what I believed was the most believable storyline coming out of Hausergate, Joey always wanted to go to MSU, picked MU because of his brother,  and that regret eventually caused tension that festered.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 11:16:34 AM »
Who?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 11:21:18 AM »
So unnatural carnal knowledgeing tired of reading about this guy and his brother. It's been a chore to login this site ever since, and why I've barely logged on this website for the past however many months.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 11:28:38 AM »
I pointed out at the time that I though Joey made a mistake by coming to MU and missing the last part of high school. Glad he realizes it now.  There is a time for everything in life.

Joey and Sam where basically the same player, not the right chemistry to play together, one is fine, two of them were just not athletic enough
to be on the court at the same time.  Your right, to bad he came to MU.  Sam would still be at MU.  Interesting to see how Wojo plays a 3 guard
line-up.  McEwen, Howard and Anim will be the starters, upfront whoever can get a rebound probably will play.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 11:30:43 AM »
So unnatural carnal knowledgeing tired of reading about this guy and his brother. It's been a chore to login this site ever since, and why I've barely logged on this website for the past however many months.

Lol yet you clicked a thread titled: Joey Hauser Talks About Leaving Marquette

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 11:37:59 AM »

That's kinda how I see it.  Oh, and let's not recruit brothers again for awhile.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 11:40:25 AM »
Any mention of a blind commitment to Wisconsin that they backed out of because of their mother?  Was that not the story here a month ago?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 11:44:42 AM »
Joey and Sam where basically the same player, not the right chemistry to play together, one is fine, two of them were just not athletic enough
to be on the court at the same time. 

That's really just not accurate.  They were fine together last year and would have been even better this year.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 11:48:49 AM »

not a chance. It was due to injury.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »

Its pretty simple to not click on the post.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2019, 11:52:43 AM »
I really doubt he get's it back, but we will see.

If he gets the redshirt back I think he eventually uses it to grad transfer. Joey will get his feelings hurt sometime in the next 2 years.