[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Athletic: Joey Hauser Talks About Leaving Marquette  (Read 39232 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Athletic: Joey Hauser Talks About Leaving Marquette
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2019, 11:47:23 AM »
My guess is that their parents coached them on how to handle the messaging surrounding the departure....

I agree. I think this also extends to a rebranding on his decision to leave SPASH early. To rebrand that as an MU decision and MU pressure that he regrets, instead of a him leaving his team (another transfer).

Frankly, he should do what is best for him. I wish him the best. But not a fan of some of the rebranding of stories for publicity purposes.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2019, 11:56:37 AM »
I agree. I think this also extends to a rebranding on his decision to leave SPASH early. To rebrand that as an MU decision and MU pressure that he regrets, instead of a him leaving his team (another transfer).

Frankly, he should do what is best for him. I wish him the best. But not a fan of some of the rebranding of stories for publicity purposes.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2019, 12:14:54 PM »
Joey should really learn how to guard the 4 before he worries about guarding the 2. Not sayin' just sayin'
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2019, 12:41:23 PM »
All the practice and coaching in the world isn't going to allow Joey Hauser to guard an athletic two guard or wing. The physical tools aren't there. That's not a knock on Joey as a player, just a recognition of his capabilities.

I'm generally in the same camp here. Nobody is ever going to confuse Joey Hauser with Mikal Bridges. But Joey might just surprise people.

I'm not sure we ever got a good look at his full capabilities, especially coming off his foot injury. This past season, he was clearly not in great basketball shape. Even in high school, he didn't have to be the best athlete or in the best shape. He had height, length, a great shot and a good handle. That's not enough if you want to play the 2 or the 3 in Division I (or beyond). Better conditioning and adding muscle -- while possibly dropping 5-10 pounds overall -- could make a significant difference in how he moves on the court.

Will he make the commitment and put in the work? Would that be enough to take his game to the next level? It's hard to say.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:48:12 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2019, 01:07:14 PM »
At least Lenny and Loose are older than dirt, so they got the reference.  ;)

And the rest can contact Mr Google.

There is no Truth in the rumor that I went to Grammar school with Santa Claus.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2019, 01:12:45 PM »

There's probably some truth to this, though. I'm sure Wojo and MU pitched the opportunity for Joey to rehab and heal while being close to home as a nice perk to him choosing Marquette over MSU. Providing a little extra incentive (w/o crossing the line) to seal with deal with a highly regarded recruit makes a ton of sense. It's an easy sell as a win-win.

In hindsight, it could be very easy for a young man and his family to feel like there was added pressure due to his injury. I don't really see the way he talked about the situation making MU look bad. And it doesn't really seem like he's trying to gain any publicity from this angle. The whole thing to me just comes across as a young kid with every opportunity at his fingertips having a hard time making his first big life decision. Then when anything isn't perfect at MU, it becomes really easy to second guess the decision or to take a "grass is always greener" kind of approach.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2019, 01:18:42 PM »
There's probably some truth to this, though. I'm sure Wojo and MU pitched the opportunity for Joey to rehab and heal while being close to home as a nice perk to him choosing Marquette over MSU. Providing a little extra incentive (w/o crossing the line) to seal with deal with a highly regarded recruit makes a ton of sense. It's an easy sell as a win-win.

Joey committed to Marquette before he was injured.  It had nothing to do with his decision to enroll early.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:21:34 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

drbchilds

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2019, 03:25:03 PM »
If he gets the redshirt back I think he eventually uses it to grad transfer. Joey will get his feelings hurt sometime in the next 2 years.

this

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2019, 03:28:58 PM »
I agree the enroll early decision was after his letter of intent.  To me the enroll early decision was a case of good out of the box thinking by the MU staff.  Here is a kid that is NOT a red shirt candidate, in fact he was expected more likely to be in a position to declare early for the draft.  So MU has a free scholar, Joey has completed HS requirements WHY NOT.  If the extra 6 months bonding with the team and rehabing lead him to a GREAT freshman season that leads him to early entry into the NBA at the end of his Soph year everyone at MU would have looked like geniuses and Joey could have thanked them for millions extra by getting into the league 1 year early.  The rosy scenario doesn't come to pass and now its "he felt pressured".

Bottom line this article further fills in the story and its looking more and more like a series of unfortunate events that drove the "brothers" apart from the "team".  Markus gets on Joey, Joey doesn't like it,the team goes from winning to losing, the rift gets worse, Sam is forced to pick sides, blood is thicker than water, the Hauser parents back the boys with Markus as the scapegoat.
So while a miracle worker head coach might have been able to save the situation 95% of the other HC's would have suffered the same fate.  Wojo didn't start the fire, he's just not a miracle worker.  I wish it weren't so but I can live with it with hope for the future.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2019, 03:29:24 PM »

Joey committed to Marquette before he was injured.  It had nothing to do with his decision to enroll early.
Yep.  Not only committed, but had signed his NLI as well prior to the injury/surgery.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »
I agree the enroll early decision was after his letter of intent.  To me the enroll early decision was a case of good out of the box thinking by the MU staff.  Here is a kid that is NOT a red shirt candidate, in fact he was expected more likely to be in a position to declare early for the draft.  So MU has a free scholar, Joey has completed HS requirements WHY NOT.  If the extra 6 months bonding with the team and rehabing lead him to a GREAT freshman season that leads him to early entry into the NBA at the end of his Soph year everyone at MU would have looked like geniuses and Joey could have thanked them for millions extra by getting into the league 1 year early.  The rosy scenario doesn't come to pass and now its "he felt pressured".

Bottom line this article further fills in the story and its looking more and more like a series of unfortunate events that drove the "brothers" apart from the "team".  Markus gets on Joey, Joey doesn't like it,the team goes from winning to losing, the rift gets worse, Sam is forced to pick sides, blood is thicker than water, the Hauser parents back the boys with Markus as the scapegoat.
So while a miracle worker head coach might have been able to save the situation 95% of the other HC's would have suffered the same fate.  Wojo didn't start the fire, he's just not a miracle worker.  I wish it weren't so but I can live with it with hope for the future.

Good analysis

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2019, 05:25:10 PM »

This seems like a fair, reasonable analysis ...

... except that you obviously forgot to point out that Markus is a "cancer."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2019, 05:30:31 PM »
Joey should really learn how to guard the 4 before he worries about guarding the 2. Not sayin' just sayin'

Great minds think alike.  That said, I really could care less if he could guard grandma in the driveway at this point.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2019, 07:53:51 PM »

I've always thought it was a different and simpler story on why Joey decided to come early.

He already knew he wasn't playing ball anymore in HS. He knew stories from Sam about how awesome and fun College was, and he couldn't wait to experience it himeself. He realized that he could actually take part in that early. Done deal.

I bet they approached MU with the idea, and least casually, first.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2019, 08:21:37 PM »
I've always thought it was a different and simpler story on why Joey decided to come early.

He already knew he wasn't playing ball anymore in HS. He knew stories from Sam about how awesome and fun College was, and he couldn't wait to experience it himeself. He realized that he could actually take part in that early. Done deal.

I bet they approached MU with the idea, and least casually, first.

I think recall Wojo saying he brought up,the option to the family as a way to ease his transition and have access to,the MU medical staff during rehab.

Joey might have been iffy or not on the idea but after talking it over with his family and the coaching staff he agreed to the move.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2019, 08:37:19 PM »
This seems like a fair, reasonable analysis ...

... except that you obviously forgot to point out that Markus is a "cancer."

You need to quit posting period.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2019, 10:20:50 PM »
FWIW, the author says he's following up with a second story about Sam ... who also refused to discuss why he left Marquette.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2019, 10:53:03 PM »
You need to quit posting period.

I can't tell if you aren't picking up on MU82 being sarcastic, if you do think Markus is a cancer, or if you just don't like MU82 and the content of the post had nothing to do with this
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2019, 12:02:26 AM »
It is hard to tell.  But,  he is simply pointing out multiple times how ridiculously stupid the Markus is a cancer theme is.  The kid is a 2nd team all American who was not playing a natural position last year to no fault of his own.  He will be MUs all time leading scorer soon and is an outstanding representative of the university. 

I bet when this ridiculous cancer theme goes away, MU82 will stop posting about it.

source?

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2019, 01:01:23 AM »
Great minds think alike.  That said, I really could care less if he could guard grandma in the driveway at this point.

How much less? Does it matter whose grandma it is?

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2019, 02:37:25 AM »

Are we talking about grandma or Grandmama? There is a huge difference, especially pre-injury.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2019, 05:44:53 AM »
It is hard to tell.  But,  he is simply pointing out multiple times how ridiculously stupid the Markus is a cancer theme is.  The kid is a 2nd team all American who was not playing a natural position last year to no fault of his own.  He will be MUs all time leading scorer soon and is an outstanding representative of the university. 

I bet when this ridiculous cancer theme goes away, MU82 will stop posting about it.

You win the bet!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2019, 08:06:14 AM »

I bet Glow really cares about his own grandma so it's gotta be someone else's grandma.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2019, 09:02:14 AM »
I wonder if Joey’s strong pull to MSU was part of the reason MU got him on campus a semester early.  Burning his redshirt may have been a preemptive way of making Joey think twice about transferring if he had a change of heart.

This is, of course, the most logical explanation given what we now know. The idea that Joey was driving the bus or that he needed to be in Milwaukee to rehab his ankle makes little sense. I'm sure the MU coaching staff felt that once they had Joey on campus he would love it - but the fact that it would make a future transfer for a kid with doubts more difficult was certainly a bonus.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2019, 09:26:26 AM »
This is, of course, the most logical explanation given what we now know. The idea that Joey was driving the bus or that he needed to be in Milwaukee to rehab his ankle makes little sense. I'm sure the MU coaching staff felt that once they had Joey on campus he would love it - but the fact that it would make a future transfer for a kid with doubts more difficult was certainly a bonus.

Maybe it was a factor,  but I think a much simpler answer is Joey needed rehab and Marquette had better rehab than he could get in Stevens Point. I also assume the better rehab was free
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback