[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Chasing Ghosts: DePaul's sad journey from name brand to also-ran  (Read 34099 times)

Earl Tatum

• All American
Re: Chasing Ghosts: DePaul's sad journey from name brand to also-ran
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 12:03:23 PM »
I Hate DePaul, Not like DePaul,  but  on the recruiting side we are  also chasing ghosts

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 12:06:27 PM »
   " Like any other fan base, Chicagoans love winners."

one outlier though...da cubbies, eyna?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 12:43:31 PM »
Ray Meyer coached at DePaul for 42 years, from 1942-84.  He didn’t achieve real success until the late 70s, when he landed two Chicago studs in Cummings and Aguirre.  Go figure, that happened shortly after Al retired.  He certainly had longevity, and he’s in the HOF, but it took three decades and the retirement of a better coach for him to get that program rolling.  That ain’t too great, in my opinion.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »
Ray Meyer coached at DePaul for 42 years, from 1942-84.  He didn’t achieve real success until the late 70s, when he landed two Chicago studs in Cummings and Aguirre.  Go figure, that happened shortly after Al retired.  He certainly had longevity, and he’s in the HOF, but it took three decades and the retirement of a better coach for him to get that program rolling.  That ain’t too great, in my opinion.

George Mikan says hi also why is it we all go nuts about the 1970 NIT championship for Al but for someone like Meyer we only base his success off NCAA appearances
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2019, 12:59:05 PM »
George Mikan says hi also why is it we all go nuts about the 1970 NIT championship for Al but for someone like Meyer we only base his success off NCAA appearances

Mikan was a frosh in Meyer's first season, so I suspect he was already coming to DePaul when Meyer was hired. And - go figure - Meyer's best seasons before the late 70s were with Mikan on the roster.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 01:03:09 PM by GooooMarquette »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2019, 02:53:59 PM »
During the Al years the Packers played 3 games every season at Milwaukee County stadium; not sure when that stopped however.

It stopped right here in 1994 when the greatest Packer QB of all time dove in to the end zone, securing the Packers a spot in the playoffs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2019, 07:48:15 PM »

Mikan was a frosh in Meyer's first season, so I suspect he was already coming to DePaul when Meyer was hired. And - go figure - Meyer's best seasons before the late 70s were with Mikan on the roster.

According to accounts I have read, Mikan was incredibly awkward and Meyer, in his first year, took a chance on him. Meyer invented the "Mikan Drill" just for big George, and teams from youth leagues up through college still use it today.

As Mikan matured into his body, he became a star, and he and Meyer went to a Final Four and won an NIT title back when it was at least as important as the NCAAs. It was decades before DePaul really made another national splash.

My son went to Ray's last 5 years of basketball camps up in northern Wisconsin. I went up there once for a few days just to see what it was all about. A very special environment for the kids.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2019, 10:50:34 PM »
DePaul playing in the UC would have been laughable. They can’t even fill half the seats in Wintrust. At least the thought of a home-court advantage is at least plausible at Wintrust.

At the time Reinsdorf (owner of the Bulls & Sox and owns 50% of the UC, the Blackhawks own the other 50%) wanted to kill off Wintrust (as it was going to provide competition for the UC in booking concerts).

He offered Depaul the UC rent free, their own floor and was going to install a giant black curtain to close off the upper deck.  The lower deck is about 12k and that would not make it look empty if the drew 6k to 8k (UC holds 22k to 23k for bball).

Rahm (Chicago Mayor) wanted Wintrust in a bad way and needed Depaul as an anchor tenant to sell the idea to the city council. 

When Depaul was considering the UC offer, Rahm called them into their office, no one knows what was said or what pictures where shown, but the Depaul brass exited that meeting 100% behind Wintrust.  The idea of UC died at that meeting.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2019, 07:26:19 AM »
At the time Reinsdorf (owner of the Bulls & Sox and owns 50% of the UC, the Blackhawks own the other 50%) wanted to kill off Wintrust (as it was going to provide competition for the UC in booking concerts).

He offered Depaul the UC rent free, their own floor and was going to install a giant black curtain to close off the upper deck.  The lower deck is about 12k and that would not make it look empty if the drew 6k to 8k (UC holds 22k to 23k for bball).

Rahm (Chicago Mayor) wanted Wintrust in a bad way and needed Depaul as an anchor tenant to sell the idea to the city council. 

When Depaul was considering the UC offer, Rahm called them into their office, no one knows what was said or what pictures where shown, but the Depaul brass exited that meeting 100% behind Wintrust.  The idea of UC died at that meeting.

Didn't Reinsdorf want all of the concession money?  I don't know how much revenue that would lose.  Wintrust was probably built by "city friendly" contractors, in the same way the city dragged their feet through the Cubs construction, cause they weren't city friendly.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2019, 07:39:33 AM »
Blocking off the upper deck of the UC would still make it a cavernous arena and a terrible atmosphere for college basketball.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2019, 07:47:34 AM »

Blocking off the upper deck of the UC would still make it a cavernous arena and a terrible atmosphere for college basketball.
A broken clock is correct twice a day and DePaul made the right move by turning down United Center. United would have been a slightly better version of Rosemont, that is a not easily accessible by students empty tomb.

While not an on campus arena, Wintrust has the benefit of being easily accessible by public transit /school buses etc . So eventually, when the day comes that DePaul has a team that can inspire the students they will be able to get to the games. From recruiting standpoint it also shows well.

Also long term, again if DePaul has some success, the ease of getting to that arena for business related entertainment is easier, whether it be from the loop or people at trades shows looking to do something.

Bottom line, is if DePaul can win , Wintrust becomes a decent asset to their program. They should be able to get 7-8,00 people in the seats regularly which would make for a loud environment.

So far it looks like Wintrust has some success in booking concerts, WNBA, special events like NBA all star celebrity game etc. The place is getting known. So Rahms arena may have been a fiscal folly for sure, but operationally I think it is gaining traction.

I have heard from many who have gone to games that the concessions suck, but hopefully that can be worked out over time.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2019, 09:16:55 AM »

It stopped right here in 1994 when the greatest Packer QB of all time dove in to the end zone, securing the Packers a spot in the playoffs.

Bart Starr played for the Pack in '94?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2019, 11:07:41 AM »
A broken clock is correct twice a day and DePaul made the right move by turning down United Center. United would have been a slightly better version of Rosemont, that is a not easily accessible by students empty tomb.

While not an on campus arena, Wintrust has the benefit of being easily accessible by public transit /school buses etc . So eventually, when the day comes that DePaul has a team that can inspire the students they will be able to get to the games. From recruiting standpoint it also shows well.

Also long term, again if DePaul has some success, the ease of getting to that arena for business related entertainment is easier, whether it be from the loop or people at trades shows looking to do something.

Bottom line, is if DePaul can win , Wintrust becomes a decent asset to their program. They should be able to get 7-8,00 people in the seats regularly which would make for a loud environment.

So far it looks like Wintrust has some success in booking concerts, WNBA, special events like NBA all star celebrity game etc. The place is getting known. So Rahms arena may have been a fiscal folly for sure, but operationally I think it is gaining traction.

I have heard from many who have gone to games that the concessions suck, but hopefully that can be worked out over time.

1. United center is very easily accessible. It's a short walk from the Ashland Green line.

2. Students at Depaul live all over. I know some that live at home in the far western burbs, some live down in Beverly. I've met some out in Forest Park. It's not like the "campus" mindset that Marquette or even Loyola has.
Maigh Eo for Sam

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2019, 11:28:07 AM »
2. Students at Depaul live all over. I know some that live at home in the far western burbs, some live down in Beverly. I've met some out in Forest Park. It's not like the "campus" mindset that Marquette or even Loyola has.

While Marquette and DePaul have some notable similarities, there are also very big differences. This might be the biggest.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2019, 12:21:46 PM »
1. United center is very easily accessible. It's a short walk from the Ashland Green line.

While Marquette and DePaul have some notable similarities, there are also very big differences. This might be the biggest.
I agree that the domiciles of DePaul students hot as homogeneous as MU. MU has on site housing requirements for most kids.  Also agree that there is public transit to United Center. The fact is neighborhood at United Center, while improved from back in the day, is still lousy.

Wintrust is in a solid area that has vitality and the public transit access is one straight shot from the loop and Lincoln Park on the red line. Just overall makes a lot of sense for DePaul relative to the United Center.

The real key is for DePaul to put together a string of winning seasons and build their support base. Without that ,nothing really matters.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2019, 12:58:28 PM »
I agree that the domiciles of DePaul students hot as homogeneous as MU. MU has on site housing requirements for most kids.  Also agree that there is public transit to United Center. The fact is neighborhood at United Center, while improved from back in the day, is still lousy.

Wintrust is in a solid area that has vitality and the public transit access is one straight shot from the loop and Lincoln Park on the red line. Just overall makes a lot of sense for DePaul relative to the United Center.

The real key is for DePaul to put together a string of winning seasons and build their support base. Without that ,nothing really matters.

Agree on wintrust making more sense. But the area around the UC is just fine. There's three major breweries within walking distance, two or three fancy restaurants, a coupe concert venues. A park that hosts a major festival, relatively new housing all to the north of the UC to the El. I don't know how long it's been since you were there Hermain but it's gotta at least be 5-10yrs since the area was "lousy" as you put it. Not going to confuse it with Streeterville but it's not lousy.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
Agree on wintrust making more sense. But the area around the UC is just fine. There's three major breweries within walking distance, two or three fancy restaurants, a coupe concert venues. A park that hosts a major festival, relatively new housing all to the north of the UC to the El. I don't know how long it's been since you were there Hermain but it's gotta at least be 5-10yrs since the area was "lousy" as you put it. Not going to confuse it with Streeterville but it's not lousy.
Back in my day parking for Bulls and Blackhawks was kindly provided by the gentleman in the  neighborhood for  $2.50 and extra $2.50 for if you wanted "Supervision" ............
                       ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2019, 02:27:03 PM »
The real key is for DePaul to put together a string of winning seasons and build their support base. Without that, nothing really matters.

This really sums it up. DePaul has finished last in the Big East 9 out of the past 11 years, with just 2 winning seasons since Dave Leitao's first go-round in Chicago 15 years ago. Their conference record during that period is 52-144 -- a winning percentage of just 26.5%. That includes a six-year stretch where DePaul managed a truly abysmal 11-98 (.101) Big East record.

When the product on the court is that bad, they could have the best on-campus arena in the country and still have trouble drawing decent crowds. How is watching terrible basketball, year after year, something that students and alumni want to spend their time and money on?
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »

Hmmmm....I wonder where that could have been...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2019, 03:33:09 PM »
Hmmmm....I wonder where that could have been...

Don't suppose you'd believe me if I said Starbucks
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2019, 04:16:44 PM »

This is false.  MU only requires freshmen and sophomores to live on campus, and only if they aren't living with a parent or legal guardian.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2019, 04:21:42 PM »
Students at Depaul live all over. I know some that live at home in the far western burbs, some live down in Beverly. I've met some out in Forest Park. It's not like the "campus" mindset that Marquette or even Loyola has.

My son has almost finished getting his degree at DePaul -- just 1 or maybe 2 more quarters to go. (He went back to school after taking a 10-year hiatus.) He lives in Lakeview with his wife; many of his classes are online. The only game he ever wants to go to is the MU game, because he's a Marquette fan. (Of course!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2019, 05:01:44 PM »
This is false.  MU only requires freshmen and sophomores to live on campus, and only if they aren't living with a parent or legal guardian.
I put the words in most to cover what you are saying. To be specific there is a mileage radius for freshman and sophomores as well beyond which they have to live on campus. Many juniors and seniors take in University apartments or live close by.  Bottom line is MU is not a commuter school.
                       ---Al McGuire

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2019, 05:08:39 PM »
Don't suppose you'd believe me if I said Starbucks

That is an option, but I would guess Doc’s! 
Currently I  am partial  to exit strategy.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2019, 06:35:47 PM »
That is an option, but I would guess Doc’s! 
Currently I  am partial  to exit strategy.

Haha that's a good guess though it's rare I leave O'Sullivans if someone manages to drag me down to Madison St. Only been to exit strategy once, I'll have to give it another shot. Have you checked out One Lake yet? Heard it looks awesome
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 07:49:49 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback