[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chasing Ghosts: DePaul's sad journey from name brand to also-ran  (Read 34434 times)

T-Bone

• All American
Re: Chasing Ghosts: DePaul's sad journey from name brand to also-ran
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2019, 08:55:38 PM »
For those that know, what were DePaul's options when they made the hop to Rosemont?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2019, 11:40:08 AM »

Hold on.

Are you seriously saying that poorly run universities "kill" the neighborhoods in which they are located?  That is really an odd statement.  So you think that Chicago, Yale and Harvard are "poorly run" because their respective neighborhoods suck, yet all of them are considered among the best universities in the world today.  And then you have the opposite, schools like Barat College.  They obviously must have been well run, they were in the middle of beautiful Lake Forest!!!  Yet they closed...

I have no idea if DePaul is poorly run or not.  But I do know that the fact that Lincoln Park is nice has nothing to do with it.

Yes,  New Haven is a hell hole but in the couple of times in was in Cambridge, at least immediately around the Harvard campus, it seemed pretty nice.

Princeton, now that's a neighborhood and whole town that sucks.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2019, 12:42:25 PM »
Yes,  New Haven is a hell hole but in the couple of times in was in Cambridge, at least immediately around the Harvard campus, it seemed pretty nice.

Princeton, now that's a neighborhood and whole town that sucks.

You're wrong about New Haven.
I'm there a few times a week. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2019, 12:53:20 PM »
The neighborhood right around Yale was always pretty nice. I haven't been there in quite a few years but I'll defer to somebody who knows -- MUFiC.

In that way, Yale/New Haven could be similar to MU/Milwaukee.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2019, 01:24:02 PM »
You are not wrong.  I also think Al was asked who should take over for him and Hank was his choice.  They were going to listen to Al.

No.  At the time Al said: "My only regret is Hank's not coming with me".   If he didn't say it publically, I know he said it privately. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2019, 01:27:06 PM »
No.  At the time Al said: "My only regret is Hank's not coming with me".   If he didn't say it publically, I know he said it privately.

Those can be two different things.  He could have wanted him to leave, too, but also asked who should replace him in the event he wasn’t leaving.  Not sure how those are inconsistent.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2019, 02:22:11 PM »
The neighborhood right around Yale was always pretty nice. I haven't been there in quite a few years but I'll defer to somebody who knows -- MUFiC.

In that way, Yale/New Haven could be similar to MU/Milwaukee.

MU82 - You won't recognize the city you remember.  New Haven is a hot city and growing.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2019, 03:54:12 PM »
MU82 - You won't recognize the city you remember.  New Haven is a hot city and growing.

Great to hear.  Last time I was in New Haven it was bad news, a lot of crime and depressed economy.  Had one of the worst crime rates in the state back then.  At one point it was one of America’s most dangerous cities lost, but that was a few years back.  Hope it has gotten better.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2019, 05:47:02 PM »
Yes,  New Haven is a hell hole

This isn’t anywhere close to reality.  Also the whole notion that universities, the  permanent residents of neighborhoods and cities,  are the cause of wealth and urban challenges is silly.  Even when New Haven had higher crime and less job momentum outside of school employment, it was not Yale’s fault. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 05:48:58 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2019, 11:44:27 PM »

Thanks for the info, MUFiC.

My dad worked at Olin in New Haven, and we went to the city fairly often to do stuff. My cousin managed the theater right on the square there; they used to have artsy flicks. I want to say it was called the York, but I might be mistaken. I was a big New Haven Nighthawks fan, went to many games. I even attended a few Giants home games at Yale Bowl the 2 years Yankee Stadium was being redone - saw the Jets beat the Giants in the first regular-season NFL game ever decided in OT.

Always enjoyed my time in New Haven, and it sounds like I'd enjoy it a lot more now.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2019, 09:02:32 AM »
Thanks for the info, MUFiC.

My dad worked at Olin in New Haven, and we went to the city fairly often to do stuff. My cousin managed the theater right on the square there; they used to have artsy flicks. I want to say it was called the York, but I might be mistaken. I was a big New Haven Nighthawks fan, went to many games. I even attended a few Giants home games at Yale Bowl the 2 years Yankee Stadium was being redone - saw the Jets beat the Giants in the first regular-season NFL game ever decided in OT.

Always enjoyed my time in New Haven, and it sounds like I'd enjoy it a lot more now.

The Olin site and the neighboring Winchester Arms factory have been remodeled to upscale apartments and biomedical research labs.  I believe the John Wayne statue is still there.  The buildings are directly on the Farmington Canal trail.  The trail is paved and runs from New Haven to Northhampton, Mass although there are still portions that are incomplete and pending including two blocks in New Haven that will take the trail to the waterfront and the brand new New Haven Boathouse. 

Big changes at Yale Bowl.  The installed artificial turf over the summer so for the first time in 105 years there will be no grass.  They are supposed to put an inflatable dome over it also so they can use the bowl for other sports after football season.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2019, 12:30:35 AM »
Cambridge, at least immediately around the Harvard campus, it seemed pretty nice.

HBS is on the other side of the river near the stadium. That is not a nice area.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2019, 12:31:59 AM »
My cousin managed the theater right on the square there; they used to have artsy flicks.

Is this code?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2019, 10:50:47 PM »
Is this code?

Yes. It's top-secret military code for the theater having once typically aired art-house movies.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2019, 12:16:10 AM »
In 2011, New Haven was rated the 7th most dangerous city in the United States per FBI crime data.

In just released data, now 92nd most dangerous.  That’s a big improvement in a short amount of years.  Good for them. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2019, 06:37:30 AM »
In 2011, New Haven was rated the 7th most dangerous city in the United States per FBI crime data.

In just released data, now 92nd most dangerous.  That’s a big improvement in a short amount of years.  Good for them.

New Haven is 1 small and 2 very partitioned. So even in that period the violence was hyper localized.  IMO it would have been more likely for an MU student to see crime than the Yale student.  On top of that, Yale is right downtown so that comment includes the business/center of the city.  So while New Haven received that moniker, it was really 2-3 neighborhoods where the improvement was needed.  So mayor/chief of police changed and it improved.  The former new haven chief of police is an amazing guy who embodies cura personalis. 

Edit: here is a link to an npr interview with him.  Starts as news of a situation, then becomes about his life.

https://www.wnpr.org/post/departing-new-haven-police-chief-speaks-ministry-law-enforcement
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:43:54 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2019, 08:11:55 AM »
New Haven is 1 small and 2 very partitioned. So even in that period the violence was hyper localized.  IMO it would have been more likely for an MU student to see crime than the Yale student.  On top of that, Yale is right downtown so that comment includes the business/center of the city.  So while New Haven received that moniker, it was really 2-3 neighborhoods where the improvement was needed.  So mayor/chief of police changed and it improved.  The former new haven chief of police is an amazing guy who embodies cura personalis. 

Edit: here is a link to an npr interview with him.  Starts as news of a situation, then becomes about his life.

https://www.wnpr.org/post/departing-new-haven-police-chief-speaks-ministry-law-enforcement

Milwaukee is 4th most dangerous

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2019, 08:33:50 AM »
Milwaukee is 4th most dangerous

Ok - I’m sure you can find out where they were in 2011 as well. My point is summed up by the quote below...which is what I was sharing about the new haven example you keep bringing up in this thread. 

The FBI warns against simplistic analyses of its local crime data because the factors affecting crime rates are so complex and vary by area. “Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction,” reads the warning that greets every visitor to the Bureau’s website where the statistics are compiled.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2019, 09:25:11 AM »
Ok - I’m sure you can find out where they were in 2011 as well. My point is summed up by the quote below...which is what I was sharing about the new haven example you keep bringing up in this thread. 

The FBI warns against simplistic analyses of its local crime data because the factors affecting crime rates are so complex and vary by area. “Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction,” reads the warning that greets every visitor to the Bureau’s website where the statistics are compiled.

I was agreeing with you that a MU student statistically has a greater chance to be a victim of crime based purely on the data.  I’m glad New Haven has improved, last I had been there it was not good, but quite sometime ago.  Good for them

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2019, 10:29:47 AM »
I was agreeing with you that a MU student statistically has a greater chance to be a victim of crime based purely on the data.  I’m glad New Haven has improved, last I had been there it was not good, but quite sometime ago.  Good for them

Crime rates in and around campus have plummeted since MUPD became a real police force.  Looks like the word is out that it's just about the worst place in Milwaukee to commit a crime with two separate police forces patrolling the area.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »
Crime rates in and around campus have plummeted since MUPD became a real police force.  Looks like the word is out that it's just about the worst place in Milwaukee to commit a crime with two separate police forces patrolling the area.

A buddy of mine was ticketed by one of Harold Brier's Finest for jaywalking.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2019, 11:13:28 AM »
A buddy of mine was ticketed by one of Harold Brier's Finest for jaywalking.

That was a huge stereotype back in the day, but it's literally decades since I have heard that trope brought up.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2019, 11:21:14 AM »
That was a huge stereotype back in the day, but it's literally decades since I have heard that trope brought up.

Call it what you will but Mike Wolfe was cited for jaywalking WI Ave. $5 fine.

Wolfie went on to become an attorney. I can only hope his run-in with the law set him on the path of true justice which resulted in his becoming an officer of the court.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2019, 12:02:38 PM »
Call it what you will but Mike Wolfe was cited for jaywalking WI Ave. $5 fine.

Wolfie went on to become an attorney. I can only hope his run-in with the law set him on the path of true justice which resulted in his becoming an officer of the court.

I didn't say it wasn't true.  I was saying it doesn't happen anymore.
Have some patience, FFS.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2019, 12:17:31 PM »

The police did that usually the first week of the school year to set a tone.  They called it a nuisance or quality of life enforcement to give drivers access.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato