collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Womens Soccer Championship.  (Read 64686 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Womens Soccer Championship.
« Reply #500 on: July 24, 2019, 11:15:10 AM »
Reinventing history are we now.

1. There was not a deafening outcry in Wisconsin.
2. Packers said after the game, they didn't realize he was going for a record, and wouldn't have reacted the same way had they known that.
3. Packer players went up to him after the game and congratulated him, once they knew he was going for a record.

So if anything, your story supports the assertion that you are arguing against.

Bull crap

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1996-11-19-9611190244-story,amp.html

Even Aikman was upset by it

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #501 on: July 24, 2019, 10:49:22 PM »
Bull crap

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1996-11-19-9611190244-story,amp.html

Even Aikman was upset by it

Your own article says the Packers were unaware he was going for a record, and says they cooled off when they knew.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/525520/JUST-FOR-KICKS-COWBOYS-BONIOL-SETS-RECORD.html

Says a Packer even congratulated him.

What I said is fact.

I'm a big Packer fan. Despise the Cowboys. Have no recollection whatsoever of any controversy regarding this game.

I'm sure a few local radio sports shows talked about it. That is their job, to find some angle to create controversy and ratings. It doesn't mean the average Joe, or average fan gave two craps about it.

If the point is that there are some crotchety old men, that go around with their undies in a bunch 247, that were offended by Boniol kicking a FG, and that same curmudgeonly people also hated the Women's reactions, then great...maybe those people need to get a life, and respect world class achievements.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #502 on: July 25, 2019, 01:13:55 AM »
And yes, I'm well aware of the, "it wasn't the goals, it was the celebration" angle.  I'm just responding to MU82's comment.

I'm also aware of it. I was just responding to another Scooper, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #503 on: July 26, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »
Pia named head coach of Brazil.

https://www.fifa.com/womensolympic/news/brazil-announce-sundhage-as-new-head-coach

Gonna be interesting to watch, but TBH I don't see it working out very well.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #504 on: July 26, 2019, 01:33:37 PM »
This is exactly how I feel. It wasn’t a culture of excessive, in your face, disrespectful celebrating. It was some pretty personally important goals that I find it hard to believe any of us would have just turned around and run back to our half of the pitch for the restart.

There are classier ways to celebrate when pounding a lesser foe than what I saw. I understand the desire for individual goals but many of us who watched together felt embarassed by the lack of class we perceived as the humiliations piled on. Those might have been milestone notches but weren't remarkable against a brutally inept defense.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #505 on: July 27, 2019, 09:16:24 AM »
Your own article says the Packers were unaware he was going for a record, and says they cooled off when they knew.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/525520/JUST-FOR-KICKS-COWBOYS-BONIOL-SETS-RECORD.html

Says a Packer even congratulated him.

What I said is fact.

I'm a big Packer fan. Despise the Cowboys. Have no recollection whatsoever of any controversy regarding this game.

I'm sure a few local radio sports shows talked about it. That is their job, to find some angle to create controversy and ratings. It doesn't mean the average Joe, or average fan gave two craps about it.

If the point is that there are some crotchety old men, that go around with their undies in a bunch 247, that were offended by Boniol kicking a FG, and that same curmudgeonly people also hated the Women's reactions, then great...maybe those people need to get a life, and respect world class achievements.

Nonsense.  They felt it was rubbing it in, they got tired of getting their ass kicked 7 straight times with so many being for major importance, and locally fans were outraged.  Whether some knew or didn’t know it was for a record is ridiculous and not important.  Did anyone know that the women’s team was going for records when the onslaught was going on?  Maybe, regardless they took the heat for it in real time and then the massively PC retribution squad came in to dismiss it while holding firm that other teams that did it were in the wrong.  Double standards

AP article...Packers seemed upset about Cowboys adding a needless score.  http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1996/nov/19/boniol-kicks-packers-21-6-cowboy-gets-out-of-sick/

NY Times article....https://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/20/sports/smoldering-fire-fueled-by-a-late-field-goal.html 

"Some of the Packers, most notably defensive end Reggie White and linebacker George Koonce, were upset Monday night when Dallas Coach Barry Switzer called a timeout with 20 seconds left in the game, and the Cowboys leading by 18-6, to allow Chris Boniol to kick a 37-yard field goal and tie a National Football League record for most field goals in a game."

"At the time, the Packers thought Switzer was merely rubbing their faces in yet another humiliating loss to the Cowboys, their seventh straight at Texas Stadium."

End of the day, running up the score whether it is for personal goals, World Cup records, NFL records, rubs some people the wrong way.  Let's not pretend it isn't.  The women's team didn't need to do it, that's why they took the grief in real time and post match before the virtue signaling flares went off.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 10:35:59 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #506 on: July 27, 2019, 09:19:45 AM »
There is a difference between taking the foot off the gas and just stopping playing.

I coach basketball. When we have a big lead against an obviously inferior opponent, we don't press, we don't run-and-gun, we clear the bench, I never question even an egregiously bad officiating call (unless injury is involved or possible), etc. But I don't just tell my players to stop trying to score, to stop playing solid D, to stop trying to get every rebound, to stop hustling. I want my kids to "play right" all the time, and I don't want to encourage bad habits.

Are my kids supposed to not dive to the floor for a loose basketball or to not try to block a shot just because we are up 35?

Same with football. Sure, take the air out of it; but does the team that's way ahead not try to advance the football on the ground? Do they just take a knee every play? Do they stop trying to play defense?

Sometimes -- actually, quite often -- you can do everything in your power to try to not run it up but the blowout worsens anyway.

Heck, I even had one game where we got up by 15 fairly early and I called off our press, and the opposing coach called time-out and calmly asked me to please put the press back on because he wanted his kids to learn how to beat the press. He knew they would lose, but he wanted them to get better for later in the season -- and indeed they did, handled our press much better the second time we faced them. How about that?

I can't remember which manager said it, but there was something along the lines of: "I'll stop trying to steal a base when we're up 8 if you promise to stop trying to hit a home run when you're down 8."

My point is and you should know...I hear you are an assistant basketball coach....when you are up Big you can do many things not to rub it in and have some class.  Teams in football do still run the ball because taking a knee would be even more classless.  If the other team knows you are running three straight, the drives won’t last long.  So on and so forth.  The excuses we are giving here scream of double standards, because that is exactly what they are.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #507 on: July 27, 2019, 09:28:41 AM »
Nonsense.  They felt it was rubbing it in, they got tired of getting their ass kicked 7 straight times with so many being for major importance, and locally fans were outraged.  Whether some knew or didn’t know it was for a record is ridiculous and not important.  Did anyone know that the women’s team was going for records when the onslaught was going on?  Maybe, regardless they took the heat for it in real time and then the massively PC retribution squad came in to dismiss it while holding firm that other teams that did it were in the wrong.  Double standards

So your evidence for “other teams that did it were in the wrong,” and therefore a double standard, is a football game from 23 years ago? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #508 on: July 27, 2019, 09:42:25 AM »
So your evidence for “other teams that did it were in the wrong,” and therefore a double standard, is a football game from 23 years ago?

Whether it was last month or 20 years ago, the running up the score was the key piece to it.  Whether for records or not.  I used this example because of the relevance it would have due to the number of Packer fans on this board.  I am happy to use more recent examples that accomplish the same point, but that is why I chose that game. 

For some reason when the USWMNT acts in a way that is not in line with sportsmanship  (are we allowed to use that word now dud to “man”) the squad of defenders come calling with a siren song blaring.  Yet when other examples are brought up, the defense goes away....it’s as if the USWMNT and their heroes are held to a completely different standard.  The dream team was criticized for running up the score against some teams, and should have been criticized.  The women’s team should be too, the defense of it is becoming absurd.

• All American
« Reply #509 on: July 27, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »
But how do you know it’s a double standard?  Maybe the same people who didn’t have a problem with the USWNT didn’t have a problem with the Dream Team or the Packers.

I for one don’t have a problem with teams celebrating after scoring. I don’t think I have double standards in that regard and I doubt you could prove anyone else does either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #510 on: July 27, 2019, 10:21:27 AM »
Whether it was last month or 20 years ago, the running up the score was the key piece to it.  Whether for records or not.  I used this example because of the relevance it would have due to the number of Packer fans on this board.  I am happy to use more recent examples that accomplish the same point, but that is why I chose that game. 

For some reason when the USWMNT acts in a way that is not in line with sportsmanship  (are we allowed to use that word now dud to “man”) the squad of defenders come calling with a siren song blaring.  Yet when other examples are brought up, the defense goes away....it’s as if the USWMNT and their heroes are held to a completely different standard.  The dream team was criticized for running up the score against some teams, and should have been criticized.  The women’s team should be too, the defense of it is becoming absurd.

Aren't you forgetting that score differential matters in Soccer? It doesn't in those other sports examples.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »
Aren't you forgetting that score differential matters in Soccer? It doesn't in those other sports examples.

Actually it does.  In the NFL it is one of the tiebreakers for the playoffs just as it is a tiebreaker for pool play in World Cup.  That said, let's get real....when you're up 8-0 in soccer there is no need to make it 9-0, 10-0, 11-0, 12-0....that goal differential is unprecedented. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2019, 10:38:57 AM »
But how do you know it’s a double standard?  Maybe the same people who didn’t have a problem with the USWNT didn’t have a problem with the Dream Team or the Packers.

I for one don’t have a problem with teams celebrating after scoring. I don’t think I have double standards in that regard and I doubt you could prove anyone else does either.

Because some of those same people have been exposed in this very thread of having differing opinions on the two.  That's why.   :)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #513 on: July 27, 2019, 10:53:21 AM »
Actually it does.  In the NFL it is one of the tiebreakers for the playoffs just as it is a tiebreaker for pool play in World Cup.  That said, let's get real....when you're up 8-0 in soccer there is no need to make it 9-0, 10-0, 11-0, 12-0....that goal differential is unprecedented.

I thought they have that weird overtime drive to break ties in the NFL?

And I agree it's unprecedented, but it remains that way because nobody else did it. If I was playing for the World Cup I might not wanna take that chance
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 10:55:14 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #514 on: July 27, 2019, 11:09:08 AM »

This is exactly the point.

I can guarantee there are critics of the USWMNT who are fine with other examples of bad sportsmanship.

Let's just all have our own opinions and agree that there's likely to be double standards/hypocrisy everywhere.

Is that acceptable?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #515 on: July 27, 2019, 02:01:22 PM »
Pia named head coach of Brazil.

https://www.fifa.com/womensolympic/news/brazil-announce-sundhage-as-new-head-coach

Gonna be interesting to watch, but TBH I don't see it working out very well.

Agree it will be interesting. I feel like Pia is too focused on structure for her style to mesh with a more free-flowing Brazilian player style. She'll need strong buy-in from the players.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #516 on: July 27, 2019, 07:27:42 PM »
I thought they have that weird overtime drive to break ties in the NFL?

And I agree it's unprecedented, but it remains that way because nobody else did it. If I was playing for the World Cup I might not wanna take that chance

Divisional record, conference record, etc, etc, eventually net points is the tiebreaker to see who makes the playoffs in NFL.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #517 on: July 30, 2019, 05:39:52 AM »
  i guess that pay discrepancy between men and women soccer teams wasn't all that after all, eyn'a?  so let me get this straight though-the womens soccer team, led by whats her name, raise this big stink about pay and it turns out that they really get more??  so what was their beef really about?  hmmmmmm

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/us-soccer-women-team-pay
don't...don't don't don't don't

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #518 on: July 30, 2019, 05:53:34 AM »
  i guess that pay discrepancy between men and women soccer teams wasn't all that after all, eyn'a?  so let me get this straight though-the womens soccer team, led by whats her name, raise this big stink about pay and it turns out that they really get more??  so what was their beef really about?  hmmmmmm

Do you have a non foxnews link for some of us?
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course

• All American
« Reply #521 on: July 30, 2019, 08:01:37 AM »
So one side of a lawsuit presents data.  The other side has already said that it isn't an apples to apples comparison because it includes NWSL salaries since US Soccer manages that professional league, but doesn't manage the MLS for the men.

This is what lawsuits are for.  To sort out the arguments and see who has the better case.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #522 on: July 30, 2019, 08:40:19 AM »
Another issue is many of the men play overseas, and often the highest paid ones. For instance, Christian Pulisic was making $1.15M per year at Dortmund and will make significantly more at Chelsea, but none of that is factored in. His salary alone projected over 10 years would more than offset the disparity. While that's a one year sample size for one player, guys like Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, Brooks, Howard, Guzan, Yedlin, and dozens others have been earning far more than the women both in MLS and abroad over that time period.

In addition, there's the question of success mattering. In that time period, the women have won 2/3 World Cups. The men have only appeared in 2/3 World Cups and never gone beyond the last 16. So while the women are earning the maximum possible bonuses, the men aren't even top-20 in the world in bonuses earned.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #523 on: July 30, 2019, 09:20:14 AM »

Context matters

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2019/7/29/20744785/us-soccers-claims-paying-wnt-more-mnt-no-context

feedback