* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by MUbiz
[Today at 09:52:49 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 187525 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #975 on: November 17, 2019, 11:28:26 AM »
The most productive county in the world by GDP per hours worked, is Norway.  Norway mandates all sorts of leave policies such as four weeks vacation and 43 weeks of maternity/paternity leave.  If you look at the list of most productive countries in the world, they are almost entirely counties with similar mandated benfits.  (Notable exception:  The United States)

It's another canard that leave benefits hurts productivity.  By all evidence it actually helps.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #976 on: November 17, 2019, 12:02:20 PM »
The most productive county in the world by GDP per hours worked, is Norway.  Norway mandates all sorts of leave policies such as four weeks vacation and 43 weeks of maternity/paternity leave.  If you look at the list of most productive countries in the world, they are almost entirely counties with similar mandated benfits.  (Notable exception:  The United States)

It's another canard that leave benefits hurts productivity.  By all evidence it actually helps.

Microsoft went to a 4-day work week in Japan. Saw productivity climb, and costs decrease. Massive profit.

The idea we can't support leave is absurd. We push working more to keep people busy.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #977 on: November 17, 2019, 12:08:30 PM »

if it's a "canard" then open up a business and show your people the love and let me know how it works out for ya
don't...don't don't don't don't

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #978 on: November 17, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »

Another thing I don't get is why people always compare the US and Norway.  Norway has fewer people than the Chicago metro area and has tremendous oil wealth.  They produce about 600K more barrels of oil per day than the US gets from the Gulf of Mexico. I wonder if their low population and oil wealth could possibly lead to high per capita GDP?  Maybe the answer is more oil?  Or maybe attributing a complex issue to a single variable is stoopid.

• All American
« Reply #979 on: November 17, 2019, 12:22:12 PM »
if it's a "canard" then open up a business and show your people the love and let me know how it works out for ya

I’m not going to do that. But if I did I certainly wouldn’t care if a female employee wanted to shave her head.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #980 on: November 17, 2019, 12:23:43 PM »
gotta be the lutefisk and the hot woman

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #981 on: November 17, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »
I’m not going to do that. But if I did I certainly wouldn’t care if a female employee wanted to shave her head.

that's it?  :) when you own your own company, have your way

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #982 on: November 17, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »
i've met a lot of people who have never written a paycheck, much less run a business, claim they know better.  give it a try sometime.
As soon as daddy hands me a fully developed practice I'll try that.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #983 on: November 17, 2019, 01:09:45 PM »
As soon as daddy hands me a fully developed practice I'll try that.

that's right wise ass and then continue to run it successfully for another 17 years ain't by accident.  60 year old family legacy operating at 3-4 x revenues over this time span no matta ey?  let me know when your business starts to approach this.  i'm not trying to toot any horns here smith, but your bullschmit response forced my hand

not sure what your point is though so we'll put that down as a swing and a miss

• All American
« Reply #984 on: November 17, 2019, 01:12:46 PM »
that's right wise ass and then continue to run it successfully for another 17 years ain't by accident.  60 year old family legacy operating at 3-4 x revenues over this time span no matta ey?  let me know when your business starts to approach this.  i'm not trying to toot any horns here smith, but your bullschmit response forced my hand

Born on second and thinks he hit a double....  Maybe you can run for President one day.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #985 on: November 17, 2019, 01:31:55 PM »

So daddy put you through school and then handled you a fully developed practice...well done.  Another right-winger that pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps.

My "business" generates over $10M in new sales a year, not to mention recurring revenues.  And I paid my own way through MU.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #986 on: November 17, 2019, 01:42:01 PM »
Nm

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #987 on: November 17, 2019, 03:03:15 PM »
Ok. Things I dont get are d!@$ measuring contests on message boards.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #988 on: November 17, 2019, 03:08:07 PM »
So daddy put you through school and then handled you a fully developed practice...well done.  Another right-winger that pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps.

My "business" generates over $10M in new sales a year, not to mention recurring revenues.  And I paid my own way through MU.

wtf??  paid my own school and for the practice dip schmit!  paid for 2 kids thru private grade school, middle school, h.s and marquette i don't know what your problems are smith but get help with some of your biness

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #989 on: November 17, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »
Ok. Things I dont get are d!@$ measuring contests on message boards.

people assuming they know wtf they are talking about

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #990 on: November 17, 2019, 03:20:36 PM »

Born on second and thinks he hit a double....  Maybe you can run for President one day.

another life lesson from sultan...is this what you tell your students at st norberts?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #991 on: November 17, 2019, 03:25:16 PM »

Norway with a tiny population smaller than Los Angeles, doesn’t have to be the world cop and defend anyone, etc, etc...talk about canard.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #992 on: November 17, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »

Exactly

At least you weren’t called racist this time by these guys...an improvement that will last a week these guys.

As to the 4 day work week, a bunch of companies here in the US do it...still 40 hours or more, just squeezed in to less days. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 03:28:37 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #993 on: November 17, 2019, 03:28:50 PM »

Politics

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #994 on: November 17, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »
Another thing I don't get is why people always compare the US and Norway.  Norway has fewer people than the Chicago metro area and has tremendous oil wealth.  They produce about 600K more barrels of oil per day than the US gets from the Gulf of Mexico. I wonder if their low population and oil wealth could possibly lead to high per capita GDP?  Maybe the answer is more oil?  Or maybe attributing a complex issue to a single variable is stoopid.

Yup, it is so intellectually dishonest.  Similar to the broadband comparisons a nation like Korea or Japan have and then crying we don’t despite being many X larger in territory.  The comparisons they make are absurd...absolutely absurd....their populations are more homogenous, they don’t have anywhere close to the world shouldering we do in defense, monetary influence, peacemaker, etc.   I rather enjoy it, however, because it exposes the simplicity of their argument for all to see.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #995 on: November 17, 2019, 04:08:48 PM »
Yup, it is so intellectually dishonest.  Similar to the broadband comparisons a nation like Korea or Japan have and then crying we don’t despite being many X larger in territory.  The comparisons they make are absurd...absolutely absurd....their populations are more homogenous, they don’t have anywhere close to the world shouldering we do in defense, monetary influence, peacemaker, etc.   I rather enjoy it, however, because it exposes the simplicity of their argument for all to see.

Having brought up broadband, do you think the ISPs in the US will be giving back the money they were given to upgrade fiber infrastructure?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #996 on: November 17, 2019, 04:13:58 PM »
Having brought up broadband, do you think the ISPs in the US will be giving back the money they were given to upgrade fiber infrastructure?

You mean for things like building out dedicated networks for our law enforcement and first responders? 

Or the 14 million homes AT&T just finished building, more than what the govt required as they exceeded it.  Etc.

Need more direction on what you are asking to answer.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #997 on: November 17, 2019, 05:29:23 PM »
Damn it!  I liked this thread. Surprised it lasted as long as it did. I’ll miss it. Thanks, guys.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #998 on: November 17, 2019, 11:18:40 PM »
Damn it!  I liked this thread. Surprised it lasted as long as it did. I’ll miss it. Thanks, guys.

My thoughts exactly. Another example of why we can't have nice things.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #999 on: November 18, 2019, 11:28:26 AM »
Norway with a tiny population smaller than Los Angeles, doesn’t have to be the world cop and defend anyone, etc, etc...talk about canard.

Apples and space ships (ie being the world cop has nothing to do with whether or not private and/or public companies provide comparable leave for new parents).

There are lots of studies out there showing that mandated family leave actually improves productivity not decreases it. Further if you are a smart company you can actually improve you outcomes leveraging that concept (someone out on maternity/paternity gives someone else an opportunity to try something new/expand their skill set, etc).

I will never understand the mentality of folks that think if a business model/culture was created 50 years ago it must be the best approach.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback