[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Moving on to the 19-20 Season  (Read 54658 times)

MUMonster03

• All American
Moving on to the 19-20 Season
« on: May 29, 2019, 04:53:20 AM »
Now that Hausergate has finally come to a conclusion, are there any players we are in on to fill the remaining 2 scholarships available for next year?

I haven't heard anything on grad or traditional transfers in a while and there are a few 19 HS kids out there that are still uncommitted.

Os Symir still looking at reclassifying or has that ship sailed? I don't remember the timeline on Markus's reclassification.

tower912

• All American
Re: Moving on to the 19-20 Season
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 05:05:29 AM »
It appears there will not be any more additions.  Symir reportedly still needs some classes and therefore cannot reclassify.

So:
G:  Markus, Koby, Greg, Akanno, Sacar.   
F:  Cain, Bailey.   
Big:  Theo, Ed, Jayce, Ike.     

Going to see some deviations from the 4 out offense.    May see two posts and three guards at times.  I hope both Theo and Ed are working on their 12-15 foot jump shot.   Decent size and depth at guard.   I see Akanno as similar to Sacar as a freshman.   Ike continues to be a mystery and a wild card.   My expectations for him are low this season as he tries to get D1 ready after sitting two years with the back issues.   He may never pan out.   But, man, I would hate to just give up on him. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:57:37 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 06:04:42 AM »
My fear is that this roster will leave us with depth problems.

One of the concerns I had last year was that toward February and March, we were gassed. In our truly good years under the Cowboy, we were 11 to 12 deep. With Ike uncertain and Akanno as a freshman, we will require lots of minutes from our Top 7.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 06:20:32 AM »
If sacar continues to hit from outside at a respectable rate like he did end of last year, Cain can bounce back, Koby looks like he did at Utah St, Bailey makes a jump like his dad from Frosh to soph and Greg is developing as expected then I honestly don't see a major issue with the guard roster.

If Cain looks lost again, Greg shows he's rusty, Koby looks out classed, Bailey shows two years off was enough to lose his skill and sacar shows it was a fluke he started to hit threes then it'll be a long year of Markus looking like Tony Smith.

Chico's is right it's a Guards game, and right now we seem to have a lot of age from our guards and wings but a lot of question marks.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:54:47 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 06:37:29 AM »
I still think this is a top 25 team. Koby looks like an offensive spark plug in a way Chartourney never did. No reason to think Sacar won’t continue to improve; that’s all he’s done since arriving on campus. If Theo can get his fouls under control we can see a huge increase in his productivity just as a function of more minutes. The big question is how much of Sam and Joey can Jamal and Brendan replace. It won’t be 100%, but they’ll be an upgrade on defense.

Sam was a very good college player, but he wasn’t DWade. The guys we have can still succeed next season.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 06:54:00 AM »
Now that Hausergate has finally come to a conclusion, are there any players we are in on to fill the remaining 2 scholarships available for next year?

I haven't heard anything on grad or traditional transfers in a while and there are a few 19 HS kids out there that are still uncommitted.

Os Symir still looking at reclassifying or has that ship sailed? I don't remember the timeline on Markus's reclassification.
Whoever Wojo signs to replace the Hausers will surely be better than those ungrateful turncoats
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 07:01:11 AM »
My fear is that this roster will leave us with depth problems.

One of the concerns I had last year was that toward February and March, we were gassed. In our truly good years under the Cowboy, we were 11 to 12 deep. With Ike uncertain and Akanno as a freshman, we will require lots of minutes from our Top 7.
Those teams were never 11 deep.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 07:05:26 AM »

Agree.  Those teams also never seemed to be worn out by playing a full season either. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 07:14:54 AM »
Whoever Wojo signs to replace the Hausers will surely be better than those ungrateful turncoats

I agree with this analysis
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 07:37:08 AM »
Agree.  Those teams also never seemed to be worn out by playing a full season either.

Boot Camp?

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 07:37:43 AM »
If sacar continues to hit from outside at a respectable rate like he did end of last year, Cain can bounce back, Koby looks like he did at Utah St, Bailey makes a jump like his dad from Frosh to soph and Greg is developing as expected then I honestly don't see a major issue with the guard roster.

If Cain looks lost again, Greg shows he's rusty, Koby looks out classed, Bailey shows two years off was enough to lose his skill and sacar shows it was a fluke he started to hit threes then it'll be a long year of Markus looking like Tony Smith.

Chico's is right it's a Guards game, and right now we seem to have a lot of age from our guards and wings but a lot of question marks.
Big If's there

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 07:50:25 AM »
Big If's there

We do have a lot of ifs. That's part of the reason for many to be pessimistic, but it's also exciting in its own way for those who allow themselves to be even a little optimistic.

I doubt all of the "ifs" will turn out in our favor, because that's not realistic, but even if only a few do, we can be a fun-to-watch, dangerous, NCAA tourney team.

I haven't made a prediction about next season's team because I don't have to -- and because I really don't know what to expect other than Markus having a huge year. Let's see what we have on Nov. 1, again what we have on Jan. 1, and mostly, what we have happening in mid-March.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 07:53:19 AM »
We do have a lot of ifs. That's part of the reason for many to be pessimistic, but it's also exciting in its own way for those who allow themselves to be even a little optimistic.

I doubt all of the "ifs" will turn out in our favor, because that's not realistic, but even if only a few do, we can be a fun-to-watch, dangerous, NCAA tourney team.

I haven't made a prediction about next season's team because I don't have to -- and because I really don't know what to expect other than Markus having a huge year. Let's see what we have on Nov. 1, again what we have on Jan. 1, and mostly, what we have happening in mid-March.
It will be interesting to see what the board members jot down as their game by game predictions. As of now, I think we will surprise quite a few people. Playing with a chip on their shoulder. Think this time will have the personality of what Wojo was when he played.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 07:55:34 AM »

lol.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 08:05:10 AM »
Boot Camp?

I wish more coaches did things like this. Nolan Richardson used to devote a significant part of practice to intense conditioning drills, and his teams never seemed to wear down. And it certainly doesn't appear to have hurt Buzz's teams.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 08:15:03 AM »
Boot camp and defense.  Freshmen not getting minutes until they understood their defensive responsibilities.   Not installing the offense until after the season started.  Lack of two way bigs.  6-7 man rotations. All things that used to infuriate Buzz's critics.   
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:15:11 AM by tower912 »

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 09:13:26 AM »
Boot camp and defense.  Freshmen not getting minutes until they understood their defensive responsibilities.   Not installing the offense until after the season started.  Lack of two way bigs.  6-7man rorations. All things that used to infuriate Buzz's critics.

And whenever we blew a late lead it was blamed on tired legs, short rotations, late season fatigue from boot camp.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 09:59:49 AM »
I am very bullish on the prospects for this years team. I believe the team chemistry will be strong.  Very enthusiastic about Jamal and Brendan. Also the return of Greg is going to add a dimension we were missing last year. Overall this team has the  physical make up of what it will take to compete at the Big East level this year.

The Big East will be stronger this year, so our record might not be quite as good as last year, but I expect it to be close.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 10:06:28 AM »

+1

In 2014, our 9/10/11 would've been JJ, Taylor, & Dawson, all of whom were routinely getting single digit minutes or DNPs down the stretch.

In 2013, it was Mayo, Taylor, & Thomas. Only Todd was routinely getting double-digit minutes.

In 2012, we didn't even have 11 players playing. Jones & Derrick were bit players at the end of the bench.

In 2011, we didn't have 11 players playing. Erik Williams got a few starts to keep Jae from the early foul, but him, Gardner, & Fulce barely played.

In 2010, we didn't even have enough players to go 5-on-5 in practice.

In 2009, it was a pretty tight 6-man rotation until James' injury forced Acker & Cubillan to play a bit more. Still never more than 7 deep at any one time.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 11:43:29 AM »
Outside of Markus, there’s a serious lack of high end talent on this team.  Everybody besides him would be, at best, a role player on a good team.  I think 19-20 will be a lot like Buzz’s last season; we’ll be close in a lot of games, but just not quite good enough to get over the hump.  Probable NIT team, but might make the NCAAs if things fall our way in some of those close games.  And yes, before someone reminds me, I realize that Buzz missed the NIT his last year here.

This is my honest, objective assessment of the coming year based on what I’ve seen from our returning players in previous seasons.  Wojo will need to have that huge 2020 recruiting class everyone’s talking about to get things back on track.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 11:51:57 AM »
Boot camp and defense.  Freshmen not getting minutes until they understood their defensive responsibilities.   Not installing the offense until after the season started.  Lack of two way bigs.  6-7 man rotations. All things that used to infuriate Buzz's critics.

I think you forgot grades and the alleged off-court issues...which seem to be what ultimately messed with his happy.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »

They're 20 year old kids. Playing a 30 game schedule.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »
And whenever we blew a late lead it was blamed on tired legs, short rotations, late season fatigue from boot camp.

Late season fatigue? Think you have Buzz confused with Wojo.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2019, 01:08:08 PM »
They're 20 year old kids. Playing a 30 game schedule.

I dont know why you are quoting me.  I agree....I was responding to someone who said we seemed gassed and that Buzz played a deeper bench (as a causal to why we were gassed).

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2019, 01:34:01 PM »
I am hopeful we can still grab a grad / decommit wing/PF type, and a traditional transfer to fill the last 2 spots.  Unlikely at this point though. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback